Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Here's "The Comfy Couch", my '94 Grand Marquis GS with a "Park Lane" package. This ride is so grampa, it even has a scooter lift in the trunk (anyone wanna buy a scooter lift?) and a big-rear end "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" sticker on it!

PO bought it new in '94, took pretty good care of it and drove it 'til he died (175K mi). I've had to replace rear brake lines (note puddles in photo) and now I've got a tranny shudder around 30-40 MPH. Other than that, it's a freakin' tank. I commute into Boston every day, and my previous "good choice", a 2000 Corolla, got ground into dust in 2 years, so I'm kickin' it old skool now, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Made another trip to the CV graveyard, got a working OD cancel switch, lug wrench, and Police Interceptor badge now that I got my plates and tabs. Let's see how long it takes me to get hassled over the badge :v: It's the only one I'm putting back on, it looks enough like a cop car as is. With the OD cancel switch and a fresh passive flush with 15 qts of Mercon-V I was hoping to check if the pronounced shudder I get almost at 50 on the dot was torque converter shudder but it remains either way. I can definitely feel the OD cancel kick on and off smoothly when at speed, so the hunt for my shudder continues. All wheels are straight and balanced, and suspension seems tight. Eh, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

I had a similar shudder in the mid-40s that I thought was the torque converter, and found that if I left OD off until I was doing 50 or so it didn't happen. So I went to 93 octane fuel and after a few tanks it went away completely. Turned out to be just a misfire at low RPM. Might be worth a try if you're not already running premium.

As for mileage, I'm getting a combined 18-ish MPG. ('94 GM GS w/175K)

The_Raven fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 2, 2013

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Looks like the valve stem seals on my '94 GMGS (just rolled over 180K) have shuffled off this mortal coil. What should I expect to pay for replacement? The car seems to be running fine but the occasional smokeshow leaving a long red light sucks. I'm already using high-mileage oil. If it's stupid expensive to do the work, I'll just put some STP snake oil in 'er and hope for the best. Still the bestest $800 car evah!