Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

With preseasons underway across the league (except in New York) (or Puerto Rico) (Or Ottawa/Indianapolis) it's time to start a new thread for the season.

WHAT IS THE NASL?

The NASL was founded in late 2009 after multiple teams broke away from the United Soccer Leagues organization because it was sold to even bigger idiots than the current owners were.

Following NASL's annual general meeting, the league announced its formal application to the USSF for Division 2 sanctioning in the United States on November 11, 2010[7] and was provisionally approved by the USSF on November 21, 2010. NASL began regular league play April 9, 2011 with eight members comprising former clubs from the USL First Division, the USL Second Division, plus expansion franchises, with plans in place for at least two additional clubs by 2013.

The league splits into a 2 part divided season this year, with a spring season and fall season where each team plays another once - and the winner of each half season playing the other in the "championship" after the fall season. This system makes a ton of sensahahahahahahahahah.

HISTORY CHAT

The NASL as it exists now was founded as a continuation of the LATE, GREAT, HONORABLE AND LEGENDARY NASL WHICH WAS FOR A WHILE THE WORLD'S GREATEST SOCCER LEAGUE which existed from 68-84.

I mean seriously, only legit leagues have fringe belly shirts

That iteration of the NASL is responsible for the "soccer craze" of the 70's that saw Pele, Beckenbauer, and some loudmouth Italian who is dead now all come to the United States to play. All of these players played for the Cosmos, and if you think Seattle has an ego, just wait till you meet Cosmos 2.0 fans.

WHY YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT THE NASL

First and foremost, if there is a team in your market, and you like soccer, you're a prick if you don't support them (regardless of division). Secondly, if you want to someday have the self entitled ego of a PNW'er, get in on the ground floor of this poo poo, because here's who has come out of lower league soccer:

- Seattle Sounders (none of their fans, however, were around for this)
- Portland Timbers (who really were relegated out of the USL/NASL)
- Vancouver Whitecaps (aren't they pleasant?)
- Montreal Impact (les HAH-bs)

Additionally, the NASL scored major upsets in the USOC last year. Minnesota leveled RSL in their prime, SA beat Houston I believe, etc. The gameplay is very competitive, and a lot better than folks expect it to be. Plus, the community around the league is really fun and inclusive since there's a "we're all in this together" attitude.

WHO YOU SHOULD SUPPORT IN THE NASL

Consider this poo poo trashtalking placeholder till we get some writeups from fans

Atlanta Silverbacks -
Fake Answer: Because you like baseball logos, perennially bad teams or Eric Wylanda (who is involved with coaching this club)
Real Answer: Because you like an underdog who might actually break out of the bottom two this season.

Carolina Railhawks
Fake Answer: Because you like teams with no active fanbase to annoy you with drama
Real Answer: You respect a team that keeps it's head down and plays the game

FC Edmonton
Fake Answer: Because you understand that if soccer can make it in Edmonton, it can make it anywhere.
Real Answer: Same as above, but maybe you're from the interior of Canada, too.

Fort Lauderdale Strikers
Fake Answer; SOFLO JELLO SHOTS
Real Answer: I don't know, honestly.

Minnesota Stars FC
Fake Answer: Daddy wasn't around much when you were a kid
Real Answer: This team has been through the ringer when it comes to ownership/viability, now they're set to be a powerhouse thanks to a new, very rich, owner.

New York Cosmos
Fake Answer: You saw some cool stuff on umbro's website.
Real Answer: You saw some cool stuff on netflix.

Puerto Rico Islanders
Fake Answer: You're ready to give up on soccer
Real Answer: Sorry Puerto Ricans, this team is probably never playing again.

San Antonio Scorpions
Fake Answer: You like stadiums with seatbacks on their chairs
Real Answer: They're pretty good and have a new stadium.

Tampa Bay Rowdies
Fake Answer: Their history
Real Answer: They're the defending champions and should be competitive this year despite weak performance in preseason

Ottawa Fury (coming 2014)
Fake Answer: You're a fan of them from their NPSL days
Real Answer: They're already better than TFC

Virginia Calvary FC (coming 2014)
Fake Answer: You're a waspy teen from Loudon county VA
Real Answer: They're a blank slate club you can get in on the ground floor with.

Indianapolis To Be Determined's (coming 2014)
Fake Answer: PETER WILT WAS NEAR THIS CLUB
Real Answer: They seem to have an active, cool fanbase, with a lot of input in the club.

Alright friends, do your club writeups so we can have poo poo in this thread that isn't me working through my lengthy list of personal vendettas.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2013 around 19:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

The main reason to support/admire/bandwagon the San Antonio Scorpions is the whole reason they exist. They are owned and were founded by Gordon Hartman in order to give financial support to his theme park for disabled children. "Soccer for a Cause" is the team's motto. All net profits for the team go to Morgan's Wonderland, the world's first theme park built expressly for children with physical, mental, and developmental disabilities. It's a great place for all kids, and even better for those that can't have fun at other parks.

The Scorpions also fund other charitable causes. Last year they wrote a $50,000 dollar check (with another matching donation from some other sponsor) to STRAPS "South Texas Regional Adaptive & Paralympic Soccer (or STRAPS). This program will bring soccer to an entirely new group of athletes– both youth and adult– who never knew they could play the game!
It will feature programs especially for:
• Ambulatory/Paralympic Soccer
• Wheelchair Soccer
• Power Soccer
• Special Olympics Soccer"

Hartman is a cool dude. He did it all because his daughter Morgan is disabled and never had a theme park to go to. So he built one for her and everyone else. Morgan attends all the games, and is always happy.

We had a very successful first season. We had the best regular season record and then lost to Minnesota in the semi finals. We had the highest attendance in the league as well. We lost quite a few of our marquee players, three to Minnesota, but have kept a few key players. We have also signed 4 players from the Balkans; 2 bosnians, one serb and a croat. Or 4 Serbians.

We are moving into our brand new stadium Toyota Field this year. The stadium is owned and was built by Hartman using all private funds. All proceeds from the stadium will also go to Morgan's Wonderland. Besides soccer, the 8,000 seat stadium will host concerts and other events. It's gorgeous. There will be a beer garden and a parking lot designated for tailgating. Also since last year we borrowed a high school stadium, we can now drink beer during games.

The stadium was designed to grow with the team. Initially it was planned on seating 6,500 with the ability to go up to 15,000. We are sitting at 8k now and I hope we sell it out every game.

If you find yourself in town let me know and we can go to a game together as lovers.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

I'll make a half-informed (non-informed) Silverbacks post after I check out a preseason game or two.

I'm excited for the season to fire up again.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

New team name, logo, and colors will be announced tomorrow at a press conference in MN.

Dummies only hid the homepage on the new website and I love the rebranding. Can't wait to post it here.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

There's 10 inches of new snow on the ground, which means it's gonna be a good day for soccer in Minnesota.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

We've signed another Croatian.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

HIT IT VERY HARD

c0ldfuse posted:

New team name, logo, and colors will be announced tomorrow at a press conference in MN.

Dummies only hid the homepage on the new website and I love the rebranding. Can't wait to post it here.

Huh.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

I think that's pretty cool.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

That is certainly something.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

When does this take effect? Will there be new uniforms and whatnot this season?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

HIT IT VERY HARD

Looks like it will be in effect for the Fall "Season".

IMO, it looks just as if Swansea and Manchester City had a baby club...

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

That's pretty sweet, though what was the reason for moving away from the Stars name?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Those are gorgeous jerseys. I'd buy one if they represented a different club.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I like the black shirt a lot but I think the logo is kinda goofy.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

foobardog posted:

That's pretty sweet, though what was the reason for moving away from the Stars name?

New ownership, the Ex CEO of United Healthcare.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Who's making the kit? I'd seriously consider buying the away.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Shrapnac posted:

Who's making the kit? I'd seriously consider buying the away.

Admiral.

These kits will be implemented at the start of the fall season. The first leg of the season will feature simple admiral kits due to having 0 lead time to produce the others.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Woof! Woof! posted:

Admiral.

These kits will be implemented at the start of the fall season. The first leg of the season will feature simple admiral kits due to having 0 lead time to produce the others.

Sweet, they generally fit me pretty well. May have to pick one up. Haven't bought a random jersey in a while.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Shrapnac posted:

Sweet, they generally fit me pretty well. May have to pick one up. Haven't bought a random jersey in a while.

Lets hope they make a kids small.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

HIT IT VERY HARD

I finally figured out what bothers me about the logo:

"Wait, the New Orleans Pelicans have a soccer club, too?"

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Nybble posted:

I finally figured out what bothers me about the logo:

"Wait, the New Orleans Pelicans have a soccer club, too?"

Really? That's what bothers you?

Have you heard of DC United?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

HIT IT VERY HARD

Eagles >>> Pelicans.

Also, I'm particularly amused at your avatar text being fairly relevant.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Nybble posted:

Eagles >>> Pelicans.

Also, I'm particularly amused at your avatar text being fairly relevant.

Minnesota has gone through the following pro teams:

Minnesota Kicks, Minnesota Strikers, Minnesota Thunder, NSC Minnesota Stars, Minnesota Stars, Minnesota United.

If you're a Minnesotan soccer fan, there actually is a bit of relevance to calling the team United. Since all of these changes have been really divisive in the community over the past 35 years.

It's a dumb name, but it makes more sense than most folks would probably guess.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Woof! Woof! posted:

It's a dumb name, but it makes more sense than most folks would probably guess.

As a North Carolinian who has no idea what the gently caress a Railhawk is supposed to be, I don't think any of those names sound particularly silly (other than Minnesota Kicks).

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

HIT IT VERY HARD

Yeah, I'm on board with the name. It was just the bird that I was just digging at. Hopefully it does portray the long-term health of the team.

Railhawks is a cheesy way to make mention of the drat train that runs right by the stadium. I keep hoping one day we have two teams, one for each type of BBQ. (The Tomatoes and the Vinegars would have a pretty nasty, but tasty, rivalry.)

---

In Open Cup news, the format has been released. http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2013...up-details.html

Notable news: NO SELLING/BUYING OF MATCH RIGHTS. (Saw it on Twitter, looking for a better confirmation)

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Nybble posted:

Notable news: NO SELLING/BUYING OF MATCH RIGHTS. (Saw it on Twitter, looking for a better confirmation)

If this is true, good. I know how it can be a big boon for teams to have the cash infusion from selling the rights, but I want to see MLS teams have to go play in dinky little stadiums.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Nybble posted:

Yeah, I'm on board with the name. It was just the bird that I was just digging at. Hopefully it does portray the long-term health of the team.

Railhawks is a cheesy way to make mention of the drat train that runs right by the stadium. I keep hoping one day we have two teams, one for each type of BBQ. (The Tomatoes and the Vinegars would have a pretty nasty, but tasty, rivalry.)

---

In Open Cup news, the format has been released. http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2013...up-details.html

Memphis Molasses v. the Vicksburg Vinnegars.

Bewildrbeast
Apr 16, 2008

rain or shine

Woof! Woof! posted:

Really? That's what bothers you?

Have you heard of DC United?

When I compared it to DC United you almost crapped yourself!
It's growing on me though, for sure. I should've gotten myself Stars gear when I had the chance

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Bewildrbeast posted:

When I compared it to DC United you almost crapped yourself!
It's growing on me though, for sure. I should've gotten myself Stars gear when I had the chance

Like I told you, there's a similarity. Doesn't mean I give a poo poo, I just believe in sinking the ship on the right rocks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I've had a day to think about this change, and I'm just not sold. Maybe it's because it's their third name in four years (NSC Minnesota, Minnesota Stars, Minnesota United) and I just want some consistency.

Bewildrbeast
Apr 16, 2008

rain or shine

Crazy Ted posted:

I've had a day to think about this change, and I'm just not sold. Maybe it's because it's their third name in four years (NSC Minnesota, Minnesota Stars, Minnesota United) and I just want some consistency.

consistency on the pitch is what's important

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Considering that market penetration on the brand is less than 3% in their target demographic, I don't think this will be an issue to anyone but a few fans.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

I was wondering, since there the name change will the old star shirts become cheap? If so I might consider geting one and maybe a one of the new ones since they really look nice.

Giovanni_Sinclair fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2013 around 21:35

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

I was wondering, since there the name change will the old star shirts will be cheap? If so I might consider geting one and maybe a one of the new ones since they really look nice.

Call the FO and find out - I bet you can get a deal.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Woof! Woof! posted:

Call the FO and find out - I bet you can get a deal.

Alright I'll do that sometime soon.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

We've signed Bryan Jordan formerly of the Galaxy. I know nothing about him other than what I just posted.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

San Antonio have unveiled their new kits which were designed just for us by Nike.

I like them a lot, and will probably end up buying both home and away for someone in my family.

It's also p cool we have two shirt sponsors. Woohoo!

Interestingly enough, we are the only team in the top 2 tiers with Nike sponsorships.

Suqit fucked around with this message at Mar 19, 2013 around 20:12

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Suqit posted:

Interestingly enough, we are the only team in the top 2 tiers with Nike sponsorships.

In MLS'S case that's because Adidas throws the league a lot of needed money to be exclusive providers. If it were up to the teams I'm sure Nike would win a few.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

More Scorpions news.

We have resigned Saveedra (he's my age lol) along with Chris Williams and Steven DeRoux, both most recently with MILS side Baltimore Blast.

I think our roster is pretty much completed now. I'm getting excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Suqit posted:

MLS is Adidas only. Admiral/Joma/All the other small kit makers do custom work at the NASL price point. Scorpions may get Nike, but its pretty much an off the shelf kit.

The white is better in my opinion, but both kinda look like autobody shop uniforms.

Still waiting to see the spring kits for the Loons, since only the fall kits have been announced so far.

«12 »