Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

I was half-asleep and heavily medicated when I made this, sorry about the title, my brain was not functioning properly. I can't believe I forgot to include the steam page Also included wiki link below Steam store page, updated second post with info that isn't anywhere on store page. I can be humble and apologize to SpeedRazor for mocking his lackluster post in my even-worse post with a confusing title.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/212070/
http://wiki.star-conflict.com

Free-to-play steam MMO space shooter.

Ignore anything the steam page says about it. It's not an "MMO" in the traditional sense; it is a lobby-based, teammatch game. There is no persistence beyond your ships and their stats, weapons, and so forth. There is no free-roam space world for you. If you're seeking open, non-linear, free-roam worlds, this isn't for you.

Do you seek ? Or maybe ? Thought so. You just want to blow space-poo poo to space-hell.

Then this game is for you.
Think of it as CSGO, but in space. In spaceships.

FEATURES
Multiple ships to fly, from quick scout ships, to heavy frigates, depending on your playstyle.
Upgrade you weapons, ship components, to do the previously stated, suit your playstyle.
As with any persistent game, you gain experience and skills to specialize or improve your odds of surviving or killing other space dudes.

Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonspaceconflict
Corp: Add and message Francofish Corp back open for invites!
Mumble: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3521554

Take note that this is 'open beta' and you earn credits and reputation 50-75% faster than you would in the normal game! You will not jump from T1 to T2 in a matter of a few hours as everyone has experienced, there WILL be a grind! Unless you pay to win.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2013 around 04:27

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Factions

There are three primary factions, each with two subfactions, and each primary faction have their own bonuses. Choosing a faction also determines the initial ship(s) given to you, a bonus reputation boost on start, and per-match bonuses.

Empire
Legion - Wardens
Bonuses
"Loyalty": +5% Reputation
"Rage": +5% Damage on main weapons

Federation
Armada - Vanguard
Bonuses
"Transaction": +5% credit income
"The perfect Setup": +2% Hitpoints for hull and shields

Jericho
Raid - Techs
Bonuses
"Observant": +5% more experience
"Intrigue": +2% damage of missles

Reputation is necessary to increase rank. Consider it the experience points of this game.
The primary way to gain rep is obviously battles, and complete contracts. Think of contracts as mini-quests for rewards.

Ship Research
There are currently three branches of ship research to improve:
Ships, weapons, modules.

I have no information other than that, really. Modules will not require skill to operate, either, apparently. Just research.

Ship Types
Three primary ship types:
Interceptors, your small, fast attack/scout ships.
Attack ships, your primary assault force, cannonfodder.
Frigates, these will mostly be support ships.
I recommend you check the links for each ship type so you can find exactly what type of playstyle you're seeking, each ship seems to have five variants.
Ship classes are also designated in HUD/radar by symbols. Inteceptors are triangles, attack ships diamonds, and frigates square.

SHIP TIERS - READ ME
Some people are concerned that after they buy one T2 ship they're suddenly classes with a bunch of cross-map OP snipers.
If you want to match with ONLY T1 ships, put only T1 ships in all your ship slots. Same applies to T2, T3, etc.

Along with ship types you should know about Ship Research/Synergy

Easy copypasta for the lazy:

quote:

Experience that is bound to a particular ship in the hangar. Indicates the degree of mastery of the ship. The more the player flies a ship, the higher the synergy.
Synergy improves the characteristics of the ship like hull, shield, energy, flight speed and maneuverability.
Synergy is bound to a specific ship and when ship is lost the synergy is gone.

Basically, during arcade/scenarios, you gain 'synergy' which is ship experience. Each level increases some stats a little bit until you max. If you play in regular and die, your synergy is lost and you lose those bonuses.

Full list of Chat commands are here, but here are the basics:

General Commands posted:

/help
display a list of available commands
/quit
quit the game
/clear
clear chat
/uid
display player's UID
/who
display a list of users on the channel
/whisper <player nickname> <message>
send a message to a particular player. Can be abbreviated to /w. Can only be used with users you met during the session.
/report <player nickname> [reason]
report player
/filter on|off
filter obscene language chat
/social list
show a list of all the social relations

Friends
/friends
Display command syntax
/friends request <player nickname>
Send a request to add as friend
/friends accept <player nickname>
Accept friend request (will only work on the request)
/friends reject <player nickname>
Cancel friend request
/friends remove <player nickname>
Remove a friend from your friends list

/watch add <player nickname>
I assume this is to alert you when a player comes online
/watch remove <player nickname>
/ignore add <player nickname>
/ignore remove <player nickname>

Chomp8645 posted:

GENERAL QUESTIONS

Is this game pay to win

Let's get this out of the way right now. This game is NOT pay to win. Paying can possibly lower your grind but that's about it. Every piece of ship equipment that requires real money can be purchased for credits as well (at reasonable rates), the only caveat being that it might require some faction rep. There are ships that require real money to unlock that cannot be purchased with credits, but they are variants, not upgrades, of ships that everyone has access too. In my opinion that makes this game not pay to win.

I'm just starting out! What faction should I pick?

Other than two minor bonuses and your starting fighter (which could be immediately replaced even) there is absolutely zero permanence to your faction choice. Pick whatever sounds nicest to you. You will not be restricted in any way by your choice.

What's the deal with contracts and faction rep?

Factions grant you access to higher quality equipment, like a stronger laser cannon or shield booster for example. You will gain reputation as you play for whatever faction you are signed up with. You can also sign contracts with that faction for extra credits and reputation gain. You will also gain reputation with the "owner" of the whatever faction you are fighting for. For example, signing up with either the Legion or the Wardens will gain you Empire reputation as well. The Empire, Federation, and Jericho each have two factions associated with them. Gaining reputation with these groups grants to access to higher level ships and implants (pilot talents).

What's the difference between game types?

Arcade mode and Regular mode both share the same game types. The difference is that arcade mode offers unlimited respawns while in Regular mode you only have one spawn for each ship in your hanger (so make sure to fill your hanger if you're going to play regular mode). Scenarios are PvE missions where you group up with other players and blow up AI opponents. Practice mode should be self-explanatory.

Can I play with my friends just starting out / how does matchmaking work?

Matchmaking is based off the highest tech level of any ship in your hanger. So for example if you have two T1 ships and one T2 ship, you're in the T2 bracket. So if you want to fly with a friend who is still in T1 when you're not (or vice versa) just only put T1 ships in the hanger and you'll be good to go! This is also useful if you prematurely unlocked a higher tier ship only to find that you didn't have enough money to properly equip it. Just shelve it for now and keep flying in that lower tier until you have the credits.

SHIPS AND EQUIPMENT

How does the hanger and owning ships work?

First of all, YOU DO NOT "BUY" SHIPS IN THIS GAME, YOU UNLOCK THEM. Once you purchase a ship it's permanently available. You can have one in your hanger, or three copies of it in your hanger, or none at all and there is no difference to your wallet. So feel to experiment and swap things in an out. The same thing goes for equipment, with the only difference being that you can unlock multiple copies of pieces of equipment. Nothing can ever be lost once purchased, just put into storage.

What is the difference between damage/weapons types?

Damage Types: Kinetic damage is strong against hulls but weak against shields. EM damage is the opposite. Thermal damage is a balance between both.

Weapon Types: Weapons deal more damage in the order of Lasers --> Rail Guns --> Plasma. However as the damage goes up the projectile speed goes up and the spread gets worse so it's harder to hit your target. Lasers actually have zero spread and hit instantly (no travel time). There is no best choice here, different people will swear by all three, so experiment a bit to find what type feels best for you.

What is the deal with ship "roles"?

All ships will have some type of "role" associated with it, like command, offense, or ECM. First and foremost, A SHIP'S ROLE DOES NOT AFFECT IT'S STATS IN ANY WAY. The only effect a ship's role has is on active modules of the given type. So a ship with the ECM role for example, might have a greater range on ECM modules or being able to activate them for less energy. You can tell what role type a module belongs to but its "group" in the tooltip.

Always turn on Auto-Repair and Auto-Replenish

Yeah, I know that's not a question. Just do it. What these mean is that after a battle the game with automatically spend the necessary credits to repair your ship and restock it's supply of ammo (missiles). The amount will always be far less than you'll make even if you horribly lose a match, so just turn them on to save yourself a lot of unnecessary micro (and cursing when you forget to do it). To do so just check the boxes, which appear on the equipment screen. The amount of credits you will have to spend on these is based on many missiles you used up and how many times you died. So if you don't die, no repair bill!

What the deal with ship levels (not tech levels) and how I increase them?

You have an individual experience level with each ship you own. To increase your ship xp just play with that ship. Increasing a ship's level grants a linear increase to its stats. These bonuses aren't enormous but they can be noticeable.

A contract is asking me to use some weapon or device that I can't find, help!

Some items are restricted by ship type. So certain items that are available on an interceptor won't be on a frigate. Also some things aren't available in T1 at all, so you may just have to get to the next ship tier.

timn offers a good guideline for flying an interceptor.

timn posted:

RE: Interceptor chat, the thing to remember is that your primary role is not so much to fly around tearing poo poo up (though you can do this in many 1-on-1s), it's to be a colossal waste of the enemy's time. With the right survivability tools, you can keep multiple enemies tied up trying to kill you while your teammates are focusing on objectives. There's nothing people like more than dogpiling a lone interceptor. If you are aggressive enough they have to try to deal with you first before anything else.

Here's some modules/ideas I like from my T2 experience:

Collision compensator - Not just for the reduced collision damage, they also boost rotational speed. In my Empire interceptor I have two of these plus the rank 5 Empire skill. Close range dogfights are hilarious because even some interceptors can't turn around fast enough to shoot me back. Fighters become like frigates except without the HP or firepower.

Ion Beam - Stops the enemy from shooting or using abilities for a few seconds. Get creative with it. Stop a frigate who's unloading on a teammate. Use it from the front to make an enemy helpless while you start a close-range dogfight (that they can't win because your rotational speed is almost 150). Use it defensively to trump ambushes. Oh no, that fed fighter I was rear end-hugging cloaked and now he's gonna circle around and unload death up my butt. Or I can just ion beam as soon as he uncloaks behind me and flip around to resume rear end-hugging.

Phase modulator (cloak) - Those 2-3 guys who have been trying to dogpile me for the past 30 seconds have actually whittled me down. Guess I'll cloak and run awa-I mean start rear end-hugging the weakest one.

Achilles targeting complex - Something like +30% damage to your guns for 10 seconds. Evens the odds against frigates, turns fighters into mincemeat. Combine with the needle system for plasma and laugh.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2013 around 14:08

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

How am I going to explain this to my wife?

The title's a bit confusing.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!

GoonSpace Conflict: Now with pictures in the OP!

Downloading now, are there realm\faction or other such considerations goons are going to aim for?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

You snogged Madame de Pompadour?
Good for you!

Play this game::shoot space mans.

xxEightxx posted:

GoonSpace Conflict: Now with pictures in the OP!

Downloading now, are there realm\faction or other such considerations goons are going to aim for?

You can play any faction you like, I've grouped up with people from Federation as an Empire and had no issues. You can also fly any ship from any "race", the only thing that your faction pic matters for are some basic bonuses, I believe.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

automaticswim posted:

But ignore anything the steam page says about it. It's not an "MMO" in the traditional sense; it is a lobby-based, teammatch game. There is no persistence beyond your ships and their stats, weapons, and so forth. There is no free-roam space world for you. If you're seeking open, non-linear, free-roam worlds, this isn't for you.

So, it's not really like EVE at all beyond it being in space.

I wish developers would stop putting "MMO" on every team deathmatch shooter they create

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

In-game as CommissarKip. Add me to your friends-list if you want.

As I said in the other thread. We should hook up on mumble. http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3521554

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Bear Witness

The (correct) name of the game should really be in the title.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

The title is rather weird, nowhere dies it actually say the name of the game beyond I think a pun, and it's a lot more comparable to World of Tanks IN SPACE than EVE online.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Apparently starting a guild is 3000 in-game gold. It's about $13. Automaticswim, are you going to start it or do you want me to start it?

We've also already got dudes up in Mumble. So best to discuss this there.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Good for you!

I'm ingame as Tzulander so feel free to hit me up.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

Lwaxana Troi makes an unscheduled visit to the ship, demands to marry THE WARP CORE.

There's not even a link to the game or where to try it in the op

poo poo Post indeed

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

poo poo Post indeed

My post was much worse. He lets you know multiple times in his post.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Skyl3lazer posted:

poo poo Post indeed

Assuming you're actually curious and not just giving him poo poo, it's on steam.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Whew, that was a tight squeeze. My masseuse is going to have to work overtime!

Speaking of tight squeezes...eh? Right?

Skyl3lazer posted:

poo poo Post indeed

Just get it on Steam.

Anyone got one of those packs off steam? How are the ships you get through that and is the 10%xp&rep boost worth it?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Very fun game so far, but the server seems pretty unstable right now.

In game as Banduril.

Warcranium
Oct 9, 2012

Been playing for a couple of days and it's really fun. Already dropped on it. It's not even remotely similar to Eve, it's more like a cross between War Thunder and Freelancer. I don't think the developers expected the game to take off so quickly, so there's some lag right now, but nothing too serious.

Also, Federation frigates suck, do not buy them.

Warcranium fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2013 around 18:18

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Finished downloading and went to quickly login to have a look before sleeping.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Clearly someone should make a third thread.

DoubleWelp
Aug 26, 2010

Warcranium posted:

Been playing for a couple of days and it's really fun. Already dropped on it. It's not even remotely similar to Eve, it's more like a cross between War Thunder and Freelancer. I don't think the developers expected the game to take off so quickly, so there's some lag right now, but nothing too serious.

Also, Federation frigates suck, do not buy them.

All the good frigates are Empire, where you can literally two shot starter ships with your sniper cannon.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006
a jerk

DoubleWelp posted:

All the good frigates are Empire, where you can literally two shot starter ships with your sniper cannon.

Is there some trick to this because my disintegrator hits for like half of someones shield at the absolute most, usually just a third.

Chomp8645
Sep 1, 2006

Hold on a sec, guys, it's been a minute since I shit up this thread with Rickroll anecdotes.

Phoix posted:

Is there some trick to this because my disintegrator hits for like half of someones shield at the absolute most, usually just a third.

I think DoubleWelp has just been getting sniped lately and is mad about it. No frigate is going to two-shot another ship, at least not in T1 (no idea what the numbers are like in high brackets)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock?

Largepotato posted:

Finished downloading and went to quickly login to have a look before sleeping.

The estimate isn't accurate at all, give it a few minutes and you'll be in.

Also yeah, the thread title is really misleading. Despite the thread drama, this is an amazing game and everyone should play it.

Edit: good christ i want to block global chat

Drone fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2013 around 19:19

Lord Tywin
Oct 3, 2012

The Empire frigates are monsters, I don't know which faction to pick to take contracts from though. Anyone have any good advice?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Good for you!

Warden faction gives you rank III rare lasers, if you like those.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Tempted to get the elite pilot pack off steam since its discounted and seems to come with a lot of stuff but the cheapest one has the artifact scanner which seems like it would be a better investment in the long run.

Have any of you purchased one or both of these packs?

Warcranium
Oct 9, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I think DoubleWelp has just been getting sniped lately and is mad about it. No frigate is going to two-shot another ship, at least not in T1 (no idea what the numbers are like in high brackets)

I honestly don't have a problem with the disintegrator or the guided torpedo, but those things have better shields and hull than the fed frigates which are supposed to be brawlers with their drones that only fire within 1500m. I hunt dumb pubbie snipers with my cloaked Fed fighter and it just takes forever to chew through all that HP.

DoubleWelp
Aug 26, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I have done so, twice at least. So nobody is mad about it, and you really should give it another try if you're not seeing it.

Phoix: you'll hit for a third or less if you're shooting at other frigates, half for attack ships, slightly more for interceptors. There's no "trick" to it, I've got several first blood medals thanks to starter pubbies just rushing into the open.

DoubleWelp fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2013 around 20:28

That Gobbo
Mar 26, 2010

I can confirm there is at least one (probably starter) ship that can be two shotted by the Harpy sniper cannon. Just finished a match where one was approaching on his own with nobody on my side attacking him.

Also this game is really loving good holy poo poo. I already dumped 30 bucks into War Thunder, guess I might put some money into this.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

That would be an ecumenical matter.

What the gently caress is "GoonSpace Conflict"?

Your OP is not really any better than the previous one. You just added pictures.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

How am I going to explain this to my wife?

Tequila posted:

Tempted to get the elite pilot pack off steam since its discounted and seems to come with a lot of stuff but the cheapest one has the artifact scanner which seems like it would be a better investment in the long run.

Have any of you purchased one or both of these packs?

Apparently artifact scanner is for all the packs. It's just not stated on Steam.

The game definitely opens up at tier 2 and everything gets pretty expensive. Not sure how to win at that level.

Chomp8645
Sep 1, 2006

Hold on a sec, guys, it's been a minute since I shit up this thread with Rickroll anecdotes.

Tezzeract posted:

The game definitely opens up at tier 2 and everything gets pretty expensive. Not sure how to win at that level.

I'm pretty sure that the matchmaking tiers are just based on the ship you're flying. So if you're short on credits to outfit your T2 ship, you should be able to just fly around in a T1 (and therefore with other T1 ships) until you've made some more money.

Smoremaster posted:

Your OP is not really any better than the previous one. You just added pictures.

I find it funny that this OP slammed the previous one while making a complete poo poo OP of his own. All this has over the old one is a few pictures, unfunny humor, and a lovely title.

Chomp8645 fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2013 around 21:05

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Bear Witness

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm pretty sure that the matchmaking tiers are just based on the ship you're flying. So if you're short on credits to outfit your T2 ship, you should be able to just fly around in a T1 (and therefore with other T1 ships) until you've made some more money.

Yeah, I confirm this. Stick with your T1 ship till you've outfitted a T2 ship.

Infinium
May 27, 2010

What I don't get is all the World of Tanks/EvE comparisons, Why not just compare it to Gaijins other game currently out? You know, the one exactly like this but with WW2 tech, called War Thunder?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

It's a little amusing that you think throwing a few half assed pictures throughout your incoherent rear end post lets you poo poo all over the previous OP. If you're going to do that, at least put some fraction of effort into it.

This game is pretty much alright, I might see some of you goons online. Does anyone know what signing a contract for a specific group gives you? The video in the last OP referred to specializing in certain weapons or something.

Psycho Society fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2013 around 21:51

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

I've been getting quite good at this, interceptors are really fun and I can take down most people I come across 1v1. For some reason though I'm losing more of my games that I was when I was poo poo, most the guys on my team are just nnnngggg. I'm not sure if solo queuers get put in against full co-ordinated teams or not?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

This game is pretty much alright, I might see some of you goons online. Does anyone know what signing a contract for a specific group gives you? The video in the last OP referred to specializing in certain weapons or something.

Contracts is how you get the good equipment without paying real money. Getting to level 6 with the Raid faction lets you get Mk 3 railguns for T2, for example.

I don't know what they were thinking when they were balancing weapons though. Plasma is simply the best weapontype, as it's the only one that can do both EM (best against shields) and kinetic (best against hull) damage. It's a pretty massive oversight to make 2/3 weapons inferior to the other third.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2013 around 21:53

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

He eventually came to be regarded as the third and final Antichrist. No other human in history was responsible for more death and suffering.

automaticswim posted:

This was a half-assed OP

You're right, it was.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Smoremaster posted:

The thread title should clearly be [GOONS] GoonSpace GoonConflict Goons [56k NO GOON]

Anyway the game is pretty fun, although I have only gotten up to tier 1.5 ships so far. The sniper ships are really annoying. I'd be interested in seeing how any sort of WoT-esque Clan Wars functions. And as an aside, the $80 Steam starter pack seems like a huge waste. Gold, plus some ships that will be eclipsed by T4 ships, plus crappy decals, plus a reputation/exp bonus, which so far doesn't seem like it'd matter much as credits are the major limiting factor so far for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

There is for sure a hell of a lot of balancing issues to work out. The aforementioned plasma cannons, the empire's sniper frigate, and probably some other stuff. The game is still in beta after all. The developers seem pretty well in touch with things though.

«21 »