Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radius Fracture
Sep 22, 2008

The suspect has trouble with lasting relationships and is possibly a high-functioning alcoholic
For those of you who were wondering exactly where this is set, I think I heard Erik say that they were in Kattegatt when they returned to the village. It's the waters between Denmark and Sweden. Although their pronunciation isn't always the clearest, so I may be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I wanted to watch this because Vikings and Katheryn Winnick. This show needs a lot more Katheryn Winnick kicking the poo poo out of whatever she feels like but they can work on that. I'm very, very impressed with Travis Fimmel as Ragnar, dude's a good actor. Also, bonus Vladimir Kulich. He is 56. Look at him. He's giving Peter Mensah a good run for his money in the "How loving old is he? No loving way!" stakes.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Ya I think Travis Fimmel and Katheryn Winnick are the two most pleasant surprises about this show and the strongest arguments to keep watching. I will be really interested to see how the show evolves if it gets renewed for another season. The writers would be smart to center it more around Ragnar.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Pioneer42 posted:

Vikings have the best haircuts. Are the styles used in the show based on historical information of any kind?

It looks pretty legit so far from what little I know. Ragnar's was a fairly common one. Certainly, Vikings loved doing silly things with their hair and I picture them as being like medieval '50s greasers, always leaning on something and always adjusting their well-managed locks. They certainly left behind enough combs to suggest this.

If we ever meet someone sporting what we'd call liberty spikes, you can immediately assume he's a poo poo wrecker. (E: Pre-emptive snipe, it wasn't just a celt thing.)

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 14, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rejutka posted:

Also, bonus Vladimir Kulich. He is 56. Look at him. He's giving Peter Mensah a good run for his money in the "How loving old is he? No loving way!" stakes.

I burst out laughing when I noticed him on the longship, he's sort of the medieval sword and sandals movie version of Wilhem scream concept.

You just sort of expect him to be there when there's a new medieval TV series or movie like The Kingdom of Heaven.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

HenessyHero posted:

It looks pretty legit so far from what little I know. Ragnar's was a fairly common one. Certainly, Vikings loved doing silly things with their hair and I picture them as being like medieval '50s greasers, always leaning on something and always adjusting their well-managed locks. They certainly left behind enough combs to suggest this.

If we ever meet someone sporting what we'd call liberty spikes, you can immediately assume he's a poo poo wrecker. (E: Pre-emptive snipe, it wasn't just a celt thing.)

Ragnar's kid and a couple of the Vikings on the monastery raid are sporting the Norman haircut. It's debated whether that was an entirely Norman invention or if the Danes brought it to Normandy (when they became the Normans). I ran across that tidbit while googling around the other day.

I also read an anecdote from a local Anglo-Saxon priest about them darn kids and their new fangled haircuts. Commonly the Anglo-Saxon men wore their hair long and loose, but the kids were adopting the trendy hairstyles from the Danes that was described as short in the back with a long frock of hair in the front that got in the way of their eyes and had to be swept aside.

Yup, there were hipsters even in the Viking Age.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Anti-Hero posted:

Ragnar's kid and a couple of the Vikings on the monastery raid are sporting the Norman haircut. It's debated whether that was an entirely Norman invention or if the Danes brought it to Normandy (when they became the Normans). I ran across that tidbit while googling around the other day.

I also read an anecdote from a local Anglo-Saxon priest about them darn kids and their new fangled haircuts. Commonly the Anglo-Saxon men wore their hair long and loose, but the kids were adopting the trendy hairstyles from the Danes that was described as short in the back with a long frock of hair in the front that got in the way of their eyes and had to be swept aside.

Yup, there were hipsters even in the Viking Age.

Yeah, the cut that the kid and a few others have is a bit anachronistic. Most evidence points to it being a Norman practice to keep the face and back of the head shaved, but within 50 years or so of contact with raiders the style went out of fashion and, ironically enough, the Viking and Anglo-Saxon hairstyles became more popular.

Also,

quote:

I'm a straight girl, but I think she is very pretty too. Probably not a guy thing, but I like how they did her hair for the voyage. That only makes her 36. 30 is the new 20.

Nah, I am right there with you, I love that voyage hairstyle. They did pretty much the same thing with Naevia in the 3rd season of Spartacus and that actress went from looking a little strange to looking very pretty to me. But I just like ladies that look like they could kick some rear end, so who knows.

I'm also kind of curious if Rollo is going to end up being the Rollo who establishes Normandy. I can't remember what year this show is set in, but if it's late-ish 800s it would be the right period.

Edit: Also, my favorite (goofy) theory on Ivar the Boneless' name is that "bone" is a cognate of the German word for leg, "bein". A few tales mention Ivar being carried on a shield, so some historians speculated that maybe he was either lame or literally legless. It's probably pretty unlikely, but the idea of a badass Viking getting carried around battle on a shield cleaving people's heads is just so :black101:

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 15, 2013

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Honey Badger posted:

I'm also kind of curious if Rollo is going to end up being the Rollo who establishes Normandy. I can't remember what year this show is set in, but if it's late-ish 800s it would be the right period.

The first episode opens with "AD 793, Eastern Baltic" which is also the year Lindisfarne was raided.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Anti-Hero posted:

The first episode opens with "AD 793, Eastern Baltic" which is also the year Lindisfarne was raided.

Ah, not sure how I missed that. Not the same dude then, unless they take some pretty big liberties with the timeline. I don't think the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle mentions anyone by that name in connection to Ragnar, so it was probably just a name the writers liked the sound of or something.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This video is the reason why most Canadians know about the vikings reaching North America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtryAfD8qGU

The government aired these "heritage moments" several times per day during the 80s and 90s.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Honey Badger posted:

Ah, not sure how I missed that. Not the same dude then, unless they take some pretty big liberties with the timeline. I don't think the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle mentions anyone by that name in connection to Ragnar, so it was probably just a name the writers liked the sound of or something.

We also have a monk named Aethelstan like Aethelstan the Unready who was an important English King a few decades later and a Canute like Canute the Great who much later was the name of an important Danish King who invades England. The writers just really aren't creative with naming.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Radius Fracture posted:

For those of you who were wondering exactly where this is set, I think I heard Erik say that they were in Kattegatt when they returned to the village. It's the waters between Denmark and Sweden. Although their pronunciation isn't always the clearest, so I may be wrong.

The landscapes shown rules out anything but Norway, though.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

saganite posted:

The show is filmed in Ireland; in the Wicklow mountains, I believe. But I think they were just going for a generic "Scandinavia" look and not a specific Denmark, Norway, or Sweden look. I don't know much about the sagas, but Wikipedia seems to place a lot of Ragnar history in Denmark, with his wife Lagertha coming from Norway.

Pioneer42 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 15, 2013

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

saganite posted:

You film where it makes the most financial sense and do your best to make it look like where you want it to be.

Sometimes, if you have enough money, you can do it on location. Often you can't so I wouldn't take landscapes as a high indication of location of the fictional show.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Rosscifer posted:

We also have a monk named Aethelstan like Aethelstan the Unready who was an important English King a few decades later and a Canute like Canute the Great who much later was the name of an important Danish King who invades England. The writers just really aren't creative with naming.

Knut was a pretty common personal Norse name, though. I don't know about Aethelstan.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
You could probably find at least a couple of thousand dudes in Sweden right now called Ragnar, Knut or Bjrn. Tons of names from that era have survived and remain in usage.

Are they going to keep releasing the next episode online one week in advance?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Rosscifer posted:

I've got to admit, when I heard the name Canute/Knut, my first thought was the polar bear.

In the sagas, don't Ragnar's kids turn against him, or at least try to one-up him in the raiding and such? I kind of wonder if the Jarl is going to take Bjorn under his wing or something to kind of push that conflict along. Although it seems like that would be kind of a long game given that the kid is 12.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Pioneer42 posted:

The show is filmed in Ireland; in the Wicklow mountains, I believe. But I think they were just going for a generic "Scandinavia" look and not a specific Denmark, Norway, or Sweden look. I don't know much about the sagas, but Wikipedia seems to place a lot of Ragnar history in Denmark, with his wife Lagertha coming from Norway.

Some of it is. Those big money shot cliffs and fjords and poo poo, that's Canada. Everything else looks like Wicklow. Indoors is wherever.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Rosscifer posted:

I think you mean Aethelred the Unready. They're both pretty common Anglo-Saxon names, though.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I've got to admit, when I heard the name Canute/Knut, my first thought was the polar bear.

In the sagas, don't Ragnar's kids turn against him, or at least try to one-up him in the raiding and such? I kind of wonder if the Jarl is going to take Bjorn under his wing or something to kind of push that conflict along. Although it seems like that would be kind of a long game given that the kid is 12.

They don't turn against him, but Ragnar says the reason he keeps going on more and more elaborate raids is that he is afraid his kids will outdo him and end up being more legendary than him.

As an aside, I kept getting a "bearded, roided-up Michael Pitt" vibe from Ragnar because of the haircut, but then my fiancee came in and said "That guy looks like Channing Tatum spent a few years living under a bridge" and now I can't unsee it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Neorxenawang posted:

I think you mean Aethelred the Unready. They're both pretty common Anglo-Saxon names, though.

Unready is also a mistranslation of Unrd.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Honey Badger posted:

As an aside, I kept getting a "bearded, roided-up Michael Pitt" vibe from Ragnar because of the haircut, but then my fiancee came in and said "That guy looks like Channing Tatum spent a few years living under a bridge" and now I can't unsee it.
Dammit.

The only other thing I associate Travis Fimmel with is the WB Tarzan series (10 years ago, Never Forget). In fact, he's the only thing I remember about that show at all, probably because that character made quite, uh, an impression on me in my formative years. It's a bit weird reconciling the Fimmel from Tarzan with Vikings' Ragnar.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Loomer posted:

Unready is also a mistranslation of Unrd.

Solice :p

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The oracle in episode 2? told him that his kid would be better than him and he wouldn't like it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Every time I see Ragnar I think of retired hockey star Peter Forsberg

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
So, any word on whether or not we're going to keep getting the "Digital Premiere" 6 days early?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

So, any word on whether or not we're going to keep getting the "Digital Premiere" 6 days early?

They just showed a commercial saying that the next episode is going up tomorrow.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Is there a reason they change the colour of his eyes in some scenes but not in others.
It really stands out in the dark where hes just a pair of electric blue eyes walking around.

I like to assume hes magic and we just haven't caught on, and when his eyes are super blue its because his ...spellpower....is maxed out....

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
He's a water version of a Fremen.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

GateheaD posted:

Is there a reason they change the colour of his eyes in some scenes but not in others.
It really stands out in the dark where hes just a pair of electric blue eyes walking around.

I like to assume hes magic and we just haven't caught on, and when his eyes are super blue its because his ...spellpower....is maxed out....

I'm going to imagine Ragnar is the predecessor to The Others.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I thought this last episode was awesome! I can't believe how absolutely few posts this show gets, say compared to something like The Walking Dead, which pretty much sucks. This was about 5 episodes worth of plot for The Walking Dead, but everyone still manages to have character and depth.

My favorite part was when they are fighting with the shield wall, and they heft archers up onto shields for a second to shoot over the wall. Badass Viking cheerleader squad - GO.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

DoggPickle posted:

I thought this last episode was awesome! I can't believe how absolutely few posts this show gets, say compared to something like The Walking Dead, which pretty much sucks. This was about 5 episodes worth of plot for The Walking Dead, but everyone still manages to have character and depth.

My favorite part was when they are fighting with the shield wall, and they heft archers up onto shields for a second to shoot over the wall. Badass Viking cheerleader squad - GO.

Yeah, it was a loving stellar episode of one of my favorite shows currently on :) The plot moves well, the actors are awesome, the fight scenes are great and yeah. I really like it. All I can say is I want more more more episodes! hahah

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

Yeah, if this was The Walking Dead or Lost this episode would be, no exaggeration, them walking from the shore to the town for a good 40 minutes (Lagertha would get lost on the way and maybe fight a bear) and then end on a cliffhanger as they hear the church bells and prepare to attack.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was afraid it would end in a cliffhanger before the battle with all the talking they did. It didn't, so I'm happy. Rollo is kind of an rear end though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Episode 4 was really good. It's amusing that they're writing the character Floki pretty much like you'd depict Loki, the god. At least that's how I'm interpreting it.

Beach battle was pretty cool, but have the Saxons never heard of flanking?!?! That's a lot of open space, guys.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I think this doesn't get much discussion partly because of the separation of viewers: I know I only watch it as it airs on T.V.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

qbert posted:

Episode 4 was really good. It's amusing that they're writing the character Floki pretty much like you'd depict Loki, the god. At least that's how I'm interpreting it.

Beach battle was pretty cool, but have the Saxons never heard of flanking?!?! That's a lot of open space, guys.

They really are. He started the fight by running up to the soldier and stealing his cross, then stood back and laughed at the violence. I wonder if they're going to do anything more with that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I usually don't care for shows like this but I started watching for two actors that are in it. Travis Fimmel (who I thought was fantastic in The Beast) and George Blagden (who I liked in his very limited role in Les Miserables). I was initially wary of the show because I don't like fantasy and magic and stuff like that, but was relieved to see that for the most part this show is realistic and set in the real world with characters at least based on real people. And I have to say the performances have been fantastic so far. The two I mentioned previously have definitely done awesome jobs, but also Katheryn Winnick. I immediately recognized her from one of my favorite episodes of Nikita and was happy to see she's playing a badass in this one. Great show so far and I'm definitely in for the long haul as long as it stays on the path it's on.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Episode 4 was brilliant. The battles are so brutal and raw. I am wondering, not knowing much about Viking History, if that cloaked grotesque mystical dude is based off of anything in particular. I know most fantasy/mythology has seers and stuff but not sure if he was created for the show or drawn from a Viking Saga.

Episode 1 had somewhat supernatural elements with the bodies rising to Valhalla and Odin walking the battlefield, I wonder if they'll do much more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I hope they don't do TOO much of it. I don't mind the semi-supernatural stuff because I think of it as though the characters are feeling it and believing in it, but it's not necessarily supposed to be "real".

I also forgot to second the guy who said that he likes the way they are doing languages. I like the one or two lines in language and then it just switches to English for convenience, but it's clear they are still speaking in -whichever-. Except, geez Ragnar sure learned the Saxon language quick!

Also, RIP big blonde beard guy!

• Locked thread