Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
:black101: :black101::black101: :black101:

Vikings is a new historical drama on The History Channel, created by Michael Hirst (The Tudors, The Borgias)

Ragnar Lodbrok (Travis Fimmel) is the protagonist. A boisterous young Viking who sails and fights and loots. He tires of pillaging East, and has heard tales of civilizations to the West with gold and treasure beyond his wildest dreams.

Unfortunately for Ragnar, the boats used for the aforementioned tomfoolery are owned by Jarl Haraldson (played by Gabriel Byrne) Jarl decides where the Vikings go for plunder, and he will not risk his boats on what he sees as a fools errand.

Katheryn Winnick plays Lagertha, Ragnar's wife. She herself is a Shield-maiden and tough as boots.

Their son Bjorn has just turned 12, and become an adult in Viking society. He doesn't appear ready to follow in his father's footsteps.

Rollo is Ragnar's best friend, and brother on the field of battle. He doesn't appear as convinced as Ragnar that their future lay in the West.

Floki, another friend of Ragnar's. He is a shipwright and lives in the forest. He is able to communicate with the trees in order to know which ones provide the best wood...or something. He's a bit odd.

The first episode aired on March 3rd and I have to say I enjoyed it. It doesn't look quite as amazing as Rome, but if you're a fan of historical dramas (or Game of Thrones) it looks like a promising show that at the very least will feature lots of bearded people with axes, which is always good. It's basically about Vikings just doing cool poo poo and looking really sick so it's going to rule probably.

If you missed it there's a few repeats coming up.

Upcoming Airings:

March 04, 2013 - 02:01-03:01AM
March 04, 2013 - 03:02-04:02AM
March 04, 2013 - 11:02-12:01AM
March 05, 2013 - 03:03-04:02AM
March 05, 2013 - 10:00-10:59PM
March 06, 2013 - 02:01-03:00AM
March 09, 2013 - 11:02-12:01AM
March 10, 2013 - 04:03-05:02AM

and episode 2 airs on March 10, at 10pm.

Or if you like just watch the first two episodes, as History have put them on their website

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

(This is my first op so if it's terrible or you can think of anything to add please let me know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed it too. There were a couple of cringe inducing bits of dialogue, but overall they didn't overshadow the whole pilot. I doubt this will be too historically accurate, but it will force me to read up more on the period.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I liked it. It's entertaining despite some weird lines (I was a fan of "...I must go piss now"). It's definitely not a show that's going to be super historically accurate, and there are already a lot of things I noticed which were inaccurate, but it's still enjoyable and it's not completely misrepresenting history with guys wearing horned helmets or anything like that.

Doikor
Oct 5, 2008
It's going to be pretty hard to be very accurate historically when most we really know about Ragnar Lodbrok are the ancient viking sagas. There are some records made by the french and english about him raiding their lands so at least we know for sure he really existed and raided in europe.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
:woop: Pleasant surprise that a green light was given for a Game of Thrones spin-off series that followers the origins of House Greyjoy.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Took me a long time before I recognized Gabriel Byrne. And I watched two seasons of In Treatment.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Important to remember that this is not trying to be 'historically accurate'. It's an adaptation of a saga for the screen, and that saga is itself full of exaggeration and straight-up inventions, because people always like to embellish. So bear that in mind.

Also, where're the seaxes?! :argh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The thread title makes me realize what a missed opportunity it was to not license Death in Fire for the theme song.

Show's alright, as long as you aren't up in arms about History moving away from actual history. Which I'm not because before this trend they were called The Hitler Channel for a reason.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hell, a show based on a saga is still closer to actual history than Ice Road Truckers and Ancient Aliens.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My impression right now 1/3 through the episode is that this show is trying to be half GoT and half Spartacus and isn't as interesting or good at either parts. It is early yet, though!

E: The scene with the Lord/Court was pretty cool though. Imma gonna see a beheading bitches E2: Hahaha that lord is a oval office

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 5, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well it is on History Channel and not HBO, Showtime, or poo poo even AMC. I'm still interested though because the sagas of Ragnar Lodbrok are cool as gently caress. :black101:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I'll definitely be watching this show because even though the pilot didn't do anything to wow me it certainly didn't disappoint me

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
It's fun to see a cool old culture that we don't see so much. I watched both episodes on Hulu and it's completely watchable so far. Does anybody know the background/reason for the communal snot bucket before war?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Communal Thirst Quencher

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I'm watching the second episode now. The teacher from Glee's crazy ex-wife is trying her darndest to be Cersei Lannister, and it's just not working, bless her heart.

Okay, I have to admit, the Ye Olde Englishe language in the monastery is bizarre and cool as poo poo.

Moose King fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 5, 2013

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
Enjoying it so far. I like that they're keeping it "realistic" as in their clothes and weapons aren't all Wagnerian opera style.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've seen the first episode twice so far, this show owns. I love vikings and as a history nerd they have always been one of my favorites.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Can you show drug use on the History channel? Or a boob?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I understand it they aren't bound by any more laws than HBO would be. The thing is, HBO doesn't have to generate revenue through advertisement, where as History channel does, so they probably don't want to upset their revenue source by having raping and boobing.

I believe the only channels that are truly bound by those types of laws are ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Loomer posted:

Hell, a show based on a saga is still closer to actual history than Ice Road Truckers and Ancient Aliens.

Pretty much one of the couple reasons I'm interested at all in this. Like... holy crap, History Channel showing something history-related for once!

Well, that and, you know. Vikings. :black101:

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Loomer posted:

Important to remember that this is not trying to be 'historically accurate'. It's an adaptation of a saga for the screen, and that saga is itself full of exaggeration and straight-up inventions, because people always like to embellish. So bear that in mind.

Also, where're the seaxes?! :argh:

Yeah from reading further it seems that Ragnar's history is very vague but the creator has said as Viking history wasn't written by Vikings it portrays them as bloodthisty and warmongering but he wants to show the other side, so I think this will be more heavily drama based and not feature too much boobs and blood.

IRQ posted:

The thread title makes me realize what a missed opportunity it was to not license Death in Fire for the theme song.

I was pretty disappointed with the opening sequence music, they should've gone for something like a folky Finntroll song. :(

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

Enjoying it so far. I like that they're keeping it "realistic" as in their clothes and weapons aren't all Wagnerian opera style.

Yeah it 'feels' authentic, like it would've been easy to give people obnoxious gold helmets and MMO style armour sets but it feels gritty and organic. It reminds me of Edoras in the LOTR films for obvious reason.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

It's fun to see a cool old culture that we don't see so much. I watched both episodes on Hulu and it's completely watchable so far. Does anybody know the background/reason for the communal snot bucket before war?

10th-century Arab traveler Ahmad ibn Fadlan once visited a community of Vikings near the Volga river, and wrote about this and other Viking hygienic practices he witnessed:

quote:

They are the filthiest race that God ever created. They do not wipe themselves after a stool, nor wash themselves thereafter, any more than if they were wild asses.

They come from their country in the North, anchor their ships in the Volga River, and build large wooden houses on its banks. In every such house there live ten or twenty, more or less. Each man has a couch, where he sits with the beautiful girls he has for sale. Here he is as likely as not to enjoy one of them while a friend looks on. At times several of them will be thus engaged, each in full view of the others. Now and then a merchant will come to a house to purchase a girl, and find her master thus embracing her, and not giving over until he has full had his will.

Every morning a girl comes and brings a tub of water, and places it before her master. In this he proceeds to wash his face and hands, and then his hair, combing it out over the vessel. Thereupon he blows his nose, and spits into the tub, and leaving no dirt behind, conveys it all into this water. When he has finished, the girl carries the tub to the man next to him, who does the same. Thus she continues carrying the tub from one to another until each man has blown his nose and spit into the tub, and washed his face and hair.

I bet that town smelled wonderful.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

10th-century Arab traveler Ahmad ibn Fadlan once visited a community of Vikings near the Volga river, and wrote about this and other Viking hygienic practices he witnessed:

Goonbjornia

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Didn't Fadlan also come to respect them quite a bit as well? Or was that some other scholarly Arab dude who hung out with them?

I remember reading some account from somewhere, about how the writer felt that the Norsefolk were altogether very attractive, but were absolutely terrible singers.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And, at the same time as Fadlan was calling them filthy...

The Byzantines were obligated to give them as many baths as they liked when their traders came south, the Icelandics outlawed men (permanently) for making someone dirty on purpose, and most tellingly, the writings of John Wollincombe where he records that the Vikings combed their hair every day, bathed weekly, and changed their clothes often - which was so unusual that it made them immensely more attractive to the English women than the local Anglo-Saxons.

Arguably, Faldan was exaggerating, and playing up the religious differences.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I see no reason both could be true frankly. It isn't like there were only 100 Vikings.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I like how the savage raiders bathed often enough to make the other Europeans very uncomfortable. And how comparatively it made the Arabs seem like total hypochondriacs.

So, is there anything indicating a particular point in time at which this show is supposed to be taking place? Or is it just sort of vaguely any time during the "Viking Age"?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mazed posted:

I like how the savage raiders bathed often enough to make the other Europeans very uncomfortable. And how comparatively it made the Arabs seem like total hypochondriacs.

So, is there anything indicating a particular point in time at which this show is supposed to be taking place? Or is it just sort of vaguely any time during the "Viking Age"?

It's late 8th century. I think the very first shot explicitly places it at 793.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

IRQ posted:

I was really surprised when I recognized If I Had A Heart. Fever Ray is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBAzlNJonO8

I liked the first episode, it seems accurate enough and the saga of Ragnar Lodbrok is :black101: as hell. Is the second one already out?

e. ooops, didn't read the end of the OP. Off to see the next episode then.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 5, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It was good enough. Not great, but worth giving a shot.

My grandfather immigrated to North America from Schleswig-Holstein, and it's been passed down that our ancestors were vikings (I fit the look). Dunno if it's true or just more interesting than saying we were a bunch of farmers.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, your average viking was a farmer for most of the year. Depending on where exactly you folks came from its not unlikely that one or two might have gone on the odd raid.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I really like the portrayal of Ragnar and Lagertha's relationship so far, it's nice to see a somewhat equal and trusting relationship in this type of historical show for a change. I appreciated that they actually had a conversation and even a brawl over who got to go on the raid, that it wasn't just accepted quietly behind the scenes. It might not be super accurate historically that women got to go on raids, but it's exactly the sort of deviations from accuracy that I don't mind because it makes for more interesting characters. Plus, it obviously fits in with Lagertha being a shield maiden in the saga.

And I can't get over how comparatively small those ships were :stare:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Gender roles in old Scandinavian society seemed to be largely a separate-but-equal affair, if I'm recalling right, but didn't some of those cultures have kind of a thing, at least towards women, going something like, "If you want to do a man's work, fine, just expect to be treated like a man"?

From what I understand, men acting effeminate was considered to be the far greater taboo.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I liked this a lot, don't care about historical inaccuracies, it looks cool enough and I like the actors/ actresses, and the crazy boat maker is awesome.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Azmodaii posted:

I liked this a lot, don't care about historical inaccuracies, it looks cool enough and I like the actors/ actresses, and the crazy boat maker is awesome.

Yeah, Gustaf Skarsgard, he's a good actor from a pretty solid family of actors. His dad is Stellan Skarsgard who's been in a lot of Hollywood films (Thor, Avengers, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc) and one of his brothers is Alex Skarsgard (Trueblood, Generation Kill). I really enjoy him as the eccentric shipbuilder, he's played the role very well so far.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcsLFSAS30

The character Antionio Banderas plays in the 13th Warrior is a facsimile of Ahmad Ibn Fadlan and inserted the same story into the film.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Show was surprisingly watchable. Opening battle was pretty lame though.. where was the rest of the raiding party?

The writing can be pretty cringe worthy though: "going to the thing" :stare:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
...it was called the Thing. What do you want them to call it? Hell, Iceland's parliament is still known as the Althing, and the Danes have the Folketing, or 'People's Thing', for theirs.

There is nothing wrong with saying 'I'm going to the Thing.' Because the Thing is a thing.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah that was actually one of the historically accurate parts. It's actually where the English word is lifted from (among hundreds of other Scandinavian words). It's meaning has evolved over the years from a meeting or assembly to mean an object, though.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Conquistador posted:

I see no reason both could be true frankly. It isn't like there were only 100 Vikings.

Maybe they were the grossest of all the Vikings and that's why they were stuck living around the Volga. :haw:

I'm enjoying this so far because I find the whole Viking thing really interesting (probably because I rarely heard much about it in my history classes) and because I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt with regards to historical accuracy. It's been helpful to remember this is from the same guy who did The Tudors, which I also enjoyed but which took a lot of license with historical fact at times.

• Locked thread