Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I don't follow or post in TVIV threads cause of spoilers and etc, but the latest episode i watched filled me with a question.

Back in Kattegat there was a missionary whos faith was tested by carrying heated iron stakes, the first time he did this he was unharmed, the second he was hurt. Was this a thing irl? Like is there a substance or something people would smear on their hands to do things like this? (would explain some legends) Or was it just fantasy? (which is fine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SpRahl posted:

He was never unharmed the "first" time was the missionary imagining how everything would go down. So the guy thought god would protect him and everything would be fine but that was not the case.

Ooooohhhhhhh, i totally didn't get that at all.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Vikings always makes me want to reinstall Crusader Kings 2, but i just KNOW that my GRAND VIKING CONQUEROR will just die the most stupid and unceremonious death choking on food or drunkenly cracking his head open.

So has it been announced when this season continues?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lime Tonics posted:

So they are going back to England, question is, does ragnar die this season?

I think it's quite possible yeah, it depends on if they are gonna want 0.5 or 1.5+ seasons to characterize Ragnars sons. They have to be very strong characters to stem the fan outrage from the probably majority of people that don't know there will most likely be Vikings without Ragnar Lodbrok at some point.

I really enjoy Ragnar/Travis and i wouldn't say no to a extra season of maybe a conclusion to Ragnar Vs Rollo Vs Clearly Insane Norwegians, but then again the boys could take care of that. What i really want to see is loads of scenes with Bjørn and Ivar scheming and bonding, i think they will be a great team both in a narrative sense and as actors.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Anos posted:

Well the myths have him being carried into battle on a shield. I don't know that it would be practical, realistically speaking, but if there's a show that could make it work, it's this show.

Maybe Floki will build him something clever, viking battle wheelchair.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Cool new trailer for the next part of the season on the Facebook page now: https://www.facebook.com/Vikings/

It's at the top when i made this post, there's probably a way to link to it directly, but i Facebook poorly so no idea how to do that. Lots of stuff to speculate about there. Excited about Ivar as always.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

PlushCow posted:

Spoilers! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_the_Boneless

Ok so what in the heck is Rollo doing with Bjorn?? I like Rollo but I thought that they had reached a good stopping point for the character in the show. The facial hair is growing even more impressive.

I'm guessing it's either a fake out like a flashback, or something really bad happens in the viking part of the world that makes him decide to return and also be somewhat welcome. Maybe Ragnars death/capture, but honestly I don't think we should get the heathen army this season, not enough episodes left to do all the poo poo that needs to be done in a proper way to get to that point.

Or maybe they turn on Rollo back in France, either way I don't see a way for him to be forgiven by the vikings or suddenly wanting to leave cush noblehood, son, wife and pretty cool emperor father in law. Will be exciting to see what they have in store for him for that to change.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm so loving hyped for Ivar the Boneless. I've only seen like a couple of scenes with him and trailers, but already the actor/writing gives him such a overwhelming presence. Dude is totally gonna steal the show.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is the next ep the finale for this season?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Demon Of The Fall posted:

This second half of the season has 10 episodes if I recall, so we have a while.

Cool cool, thank you!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm watching the latest ep atm and i got a lot of questions. Mostly about the Eckbert/Ragnar dynamic, i wonder if i have forgotten a lot from the earlier seasons or something.

Are they/Why are they friends? Ragnar came to take revenge, but then decided he really likes Eckbert again suddenly.
How come he set his sons loose of Eckbert specifically if they are friends and indirectly on Athulstens child? Was it to ensure a war with all of England? (Eckbert was king of England at this point yeah?)

I'm really liking their characters together, i'm just mucho confused with Ragnars actions and motivations and i feel like i'm missing something obvious here.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How come he started caring about the settlement suddenly? Just growing old and looking back at past mistakes?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sammus posted:

Is there any reason why Ivar can't ride a horse? He's proven to be drat good with a bow, and if Battlefield 1 has taught me anything, it's that a man on a horse with a sword is OP.

Did Vikings even have Calvary?

Horses were p rare at this time in Skandinavia i think? Tho the show has shown more horses in the viking areas lately so who knows, maybe imported. The reason tho is that one of the trailers for this season showed him riding a god drat bonafide war chariot, so i guess they are saving Ivar+horses for that bombshell. Man, i hope its Flokis creation.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo that ending :O

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Everything moving so fast last few episodes, hope they start to slow it down again. The Great Heathen Army has been the climax for me since i heard about this show and i don't want it to only be a couple of episodes.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
its a great shame imho that in the year of our lord 865 we get to see margrete dicked for the umbillionth time, but nary a sword is unsheathed when the greath heathen army clashes with the forces of king allea, smdh

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
drat don't cocktease me with a ending like that when I'm already battle starved! I liked this episode tho, but it still feels like they are skipping major characterization parts now at a time when we really need them (since the top honcho of the series just died), and I don't understand why they would do that unless they are just trying to end the series as fast as possible now.

Which is up to them I guess, but I would be bummed cause I think Ivar has the potential to be even more intriguing and cooler than Ragnar ever was.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I want Ivar to kill Lagertha.

But i kinda want Ivar to kill everyone :holy:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I would have instantly broken both of my legs in multiple places and screamed from the ground "CRIPPLE RACE" and then just started wiggling as fast as i could down the street.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
One down in the great IVAR KILLS EVERYONE fantasy i have, i never liked him anyway.
Nobody knows whats up with the last scene and who that is then judging by last few posts? He looked p rad at least, and i swear i've seen that actor before recently.

Also i was very surprised to see one of the norwegian brothers go with Bjørn. I guess he might be disappointed in his brother. Or maybe its just another part of the great plot to overthrow the Lodbroks. In any case it might fall apart when they return to Kattegat and hear what Lagertha has to say.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

The historical Harald Fairhair did unify Norway, which is bad news for Lagertha.

Has it been established that the shows version of Kattegat is in Norway tho? I mean geographically it wasn't a town at all, but a area of sea between a tiny bit of viking Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Just lmao if they want me to believe those mountains are in Denmark tho, then this show truly is fantasy :smug:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Orange Red Bull posted:

is this on hiatus again? i went to look for last nights episode and its not on history.com

Yep.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

CODChimera posted:

So does Ivar just get away with killing his brother?

I don't see why not, it was a legitimate kill by viking standards. James Hetfield talked poo poo and got a axe thrown at him, as you do. Bjørn and others that dislike/worry about Ivar might take the chance to call him out on it and confirm how he is reckless and has anger issues.

If the brother in question was particularly beloved by the others maybe there would be a big backlash, but if he was the show has utterly failed to convey that to me at least. Probably gonna be bigger consequences once Ivar gets around to killing the girl that can't stop getting boned every episode for spilling the beans about his broken boner, since the cool brother married her for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Not that coolbro cares so much about his slave wife i think, I'm pretty convinced he took her mostly to spite Lagertha.
More that it would be a attack he would be expected to make right Vs "a person managed to goad a cripple into attacking him with an axe and then also failed to evade or deflect the attack from said cripple, probably then deserved to get hit with the axe".

I'm very excited to see coolbro and Ivars "relationship" progress. Out of all the brothers he seems to be the one that tolerates Ivar the most, but also the one we know will come head to head with him if he keeps his promise of killing his wife.

• Locked thread