Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just watched most of this show and it's pretty interesting. Gotta say though, that loving intro is garbage, and whoever had anything to do with it should die. "If I had a heart, I could love you." What the hell. All you had to do was make a dumb viking montage, slap it on top of any Amon Amarth song, and you don't look like a jackass idiot, but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I made it two episodes in before I started skipping it. And I'm not even an intro snob, if that's a thing.

Edit: :laffo: Just realized I still had Amazon open in another tab. I paused mid-intro because it was so bad that something needed to be said.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

life is killing me posted:

Why again, dude who hates intro, do you hate the intro so much?

I mean, you're allowed to hate it, it's not a crime, but you seem to have a vehement abhorrence toward it, like it killed your whole family and took advantage of the family dog.

1. I just really don't like that dudes voice in the intro song.
2. There's an entire hilarious genre of music called "Viking Metal" that this show hasn't even touched on, and that's the missedest of missed opportunities.

The FIRST search result for viking metal on youtube that isn't a big compilation thing already has a better theme song. From 1:03 to the guitar solo. Bam. Give me a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu2bgwcv43o&t=63s

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

empty baggie posted:

if the intro was Amon Amarth or some other such band I wouldn't be able to take the show very seriously.

That's what I said the first time I heard "If I had a heart I could love you," but I've been pleasantly surprised. The soundtrack to the show itself is really good, so it's a minor thing all in all. But viking metal owns, lame acoustic whispers suck. The only thing about the show itself that has bothered me is how small everything is portrayed. Like you had an earl and a king fighting a jarl in an epic battle for control of the entirety of Sweden, and there's like, 50 dudes there. But I'd rather have that than have them make it into some big lord of the rings epic battle that makes it seem silly, so it's a fair compromise. I'm sure paying to dress a gently caress ton of people up and have them stand around isn't cheap. The fight between Rollo and one-eye and all those guys before he refused to fight Ragnar was criminally cheesy though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:stare:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

If I remember correctly, it's not like huge bands of dudes were wandering around making war back in those days. Each Viking earl probably had only a few hundred men if that, and since there were many different kingdoms with many different earls in each kingdom each probably with their own motives, friends, and enemies, the huge pitched battles with thousands of men were more than likely few and far between. It's a different picture than most people probably have in their minds when they think of the post-Roman, pre-medieval period. The Vikings were not a whole, vast empire like Rome was, so there was no singular standing army. Even getting up to the medieval period, most lords only had so many men.

I'm willing to bet that the way the show portrays battles is closer to reality than what most people think: small bands fighting each other in skirmishes.

That said I could be wrong, because little is known of Viking culture, but even during the Saxon invasions the groups were splintered--earls basically had a little more freedom to do with their fighting men as they pleased, and those fighting men were more loyal to their respective earls than they might have been to their culture as a whole.

It's definitely closer to reality than it would've been if they had people swarming the hills and arrows blotting out the sun like most medieval themed shows/movies go, and that's why I cut it some slack, but it is definitely erring on the low side.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

Aside from those massive "our civilization ends if we don't win here" battles like Tours*, history was full of much smaller battles than people would expect them to be. Back in the French and Indian War, the Forbes Expedition was 7,000+ and was considered almost an incomprehensibly huge force. At that point (in 1755), it may have been the largest single formation of warriors in the history of the Western hemisphere. Somehow you'd expect the British to send more than a few thousand guys to crush the French fortress chain in Western Pennsylvania. Hell, Tenochtitlan fell to a force of less than 3,500.

If the Great Heathen Army goes down in history as "Great" when it fielded somewhere between 250 (the 249 buried at Repton sets an absolute lower limit, of sorts) and 3,000ish, then deployed combat forces of the time were, uh, basically commando teams. Conversely, I imagine Ragnar would poo poo himself at things like the Soviets throwing 1.9 million against the 900,000 Germans at Kursk.

* Tours only had around a hundred thousand total under arms in the first place. The Union alone fielded 90,000 at Gettysburg.

Look at the battle of Agincourt. 20,000 men were involved in that, and that was in the early 1400's. I'm pretty sure Viking earls and kings around 800 could at least get a few hundred men called up.

Edit: nevermind, I'd never read anything about Tours before. :tviv:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 4, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's happened a few times. I think licking that loving dudes hand is even worse. Especially since it looks like his job is to sit in a room and talk to a conga line of people who have never brushed their teeth once in their life. I'd be wanting to go really early in the morning.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I get why the History channel cut all that stuff out, but why did Amazon Prime screw me over? :sigh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's mostly just basic cable. The History Channel wants to show it as a historical type thing rather than a drama, and basic cable in general is kept clean. If it was playing on HBO, it'd be different.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Lagertha's actress doesn't seem to do nudity so don't worry, you aren't missing seeing her breasts. Helga on the other hand...

Man, that girl looks like her stage makeup is just to get shoved into a dumpster and shaken around for an hour even more than the rest of them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dalael posted:

What I wonder tho, is the crown Floki is holding. Who's crown is that? I'd have to watch season 2 again, but it looks like King Eckbert's crown.. Unless a french king dies and they have a similar crown? gently caress I need to learn more about this part of history. I know the show is not 100% accurate, but I'm pretty sure more knowledge could come in handy.

It's not just the show having to maintain accuracy with what we do know about the viking age, but there's also the issue that most of the history from that time period is handed down through legend, and there's precious little of that. Accuracy is nearly impossible even if they were striving for it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Episode 1 still isn't up on Amazon Prime. :ohdear:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

empty baggie posted:

It's on the History channel website if that helps. Don't even need to log in or anything.

My dude.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

empty baggie posted:

Do you mean like the helmets with the horns? Vikings didn't actually wear those in battle. Most vikings didn't wear helmets at all, and those that did were either very wealthy or scavenged it from the dead.

Shut up nerd. More Viking helmets.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's been somewhat historically accurate. We know more about Ragnar's sons than we do Ragnar, so I'd imagine it will only get closer to the truth as the series moves on. Can't wait for the Great Heathen Army episode. :getin:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Erghh posted:

f/e: Athelstan is stigmatic or his wounds just opened up?

He hooked up with that girl who had a crush on him, and she was on the rag. Didn't realize until his hands were covered in blood. He took this as a sign from the all-father and knew he was making a mistake, so he stopped and went to show Lagertha what he did. Since he cucked the kings son, Eckbert is going to be forced to tell Lagertha to gently caress off, and a war will break out. It's a bit like Helen of Troy except instead of a war over a beautiful woman, it's over a nerdy zealot with a ponytail.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

It's sad since Thorsten is the only survivor from Ragnar's original crew.

floki is in that picture. and what about rollo?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oasx posted:

It would be interesting if they go into the technological differences a bit more. We usually see Ragnar and the others overpower every English army they encounter, so it is not as noticeable that they are really inferior in many ways.

It was just dependent on how they needed to survive. The Norse were more advanced in shipbuilding and fishing. They discovered Iceland, Greenland, and were the first Europeans to set foot in North America, like 600 years before anyone else did. But the land definitely wasn't suited to farming like it was in Britain. As far as the combat aspect of it, those days were really funny when it came to technology in battle. The Mongols were miles behind the rest of the world, but they practiced real hard at shooting bows from horses, so all your technology counts for poo poo. I don't know much about how the Vikings actually fought, but I do know that landing on a random place with a shitload of men made it very difficult for people to raise forces against them quickly that could actually push them out. That was perhaps their biggest advantage.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How's their historical perspective on the Romans? They make it seem like a lost civilization that those in Britain had forgotten. Granted, England wasn't a central part of Rome or anything, but it still seems people would know a little about it rather than it being some mythical realm that can only be discussed in dark corridors. But the show kind of tacks in this religious aspect of it, where Eckbert(? the one who flirts with Lagertha) and Aethelstan are going through ancient texts discussing how this pagan civilization somehow conquered the world, and it sort of brought their idea of Catholicism into question. If the Roman history was being suppressed over that, it's endlessly fascinating.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I loved Lagertha perking up when Paris was being described to her, and Eckbert seemingly oblivious.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I must have read that scene wrong then. I saw it as Eckbert telling Lagertha how rich Paris was with hopes of getting her to influence the next raids to Paris rather than Wessex with Athelstan picking up on this and going on about how supremely well defended paris was to nip that idea in the bud.

Pretty sure they wouldn't raid Wessex with the deal in place. Eckbert was just chatting her up. Aethelstan may have picked up on it, but he wasn't super obvious about it if he did. He just started describing the city rather then being like "It has huge walls. All around it. Lagertha. Walls." Plus he brought up the river which would've made it even more enticing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure he'll be down when they suggest it, but he really seemed oblivious to what was going through Lagerthas mind.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wondering if we'll be seeing a change from Eckbert. He conflated Roman pagans with Norse ones, as if he throws them all on this same tier of wrong underneath Catholicism, but Lagertha obviously took offense to the idea. He was difficult to read when he was watching the sacrifice, but I'm not sure how deeply his conviction of tolerance towards Norse pagans runs. That could be especially true if he and Lagertha have a falling out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i watched that toast like 4 times. haha. i love ragnar and ecbert. i didn't know how they were going to get along after there was peace, but they look like two peas in a pod now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

That was easily the dumbest scene in the entire movie, even with my suspension of disbelief. I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief of the fact it took him only a night to learn the Norse language because "he listened."

Haha. Is it supposed to be all in one night? I haven't seen the movie, but the rain coming and going seemed like they were trying to portray it as time passing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Sharmat posted:

So am I the only one that read that scene as "We cannot possibly trust each other despite our protestations otherwise because we know each other too well and neither of us are ever satisfied with what we have"?

Yeah, it had that vibe to it, but they also seem like natural friends who understood each other. As of right now, there's no real reason that's been presented as to why it's in their interest to gently caress each other over. I think they'll be bros for a while.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they nail the actor choice for Charlemagne, because everyone in the show except Aelle is drat near perfect, and Charlemagne is gonna be important.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if they're going to have it heal up in a way that makes her look hot, because lol where those gashes meet on her cheek would be hideous for life.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SpRahl posted:

Well except Floki is actually kinda right with regards to the relationship between Christianity and Norse.
I don't get all the Floki hate, people say his character has changed but aside from being somewhat grumpier hes pretty much the same as last season and the first. Hes always had an unfavorable view of Christians and their religion hes always not liked Aethelstan.

He's being a little bitch to everyone, and the christ god is all he talks about. It's getting annoying. His gloating over being right once news from the settlements comes in should be good though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Erghh posted:

Yeah, that. Ecbert knew what he was doing from the start. He got the vikings to fight his war, the settlers to till his ground, slaughtered them and then blamed his nobles for it. Probably scored some points with the Bishop too. Dude's rollin.' I just wonder what he thinks is going to happen when Ragnar works it out.

He's got Mercia under his wing now, so he's probably feeling pretty secure.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
watch her try and side with ragnar

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Interesting that they are looking for all ethnic backgrounds. I wonder if we will see the Mediterranean this season?

they're probably filming next season.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i hope ragnarr kills floki and burns down paris next episode.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter posted:

Season 1 Floki was all about making funny faces & odd gestures, trying to eat plates and killing christians

Season 3 Floki is now only about killing christians

:sigh:

Yep, Floki sucks now. I hope he dies next episode. He's not even funny with Helga anymore. He's too busy being a little bitch all the time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vanderdeath posted:

Floki's like one of the most consistent characters on the show. The dude really loving loves the gods and would do literally anything to please them. He saw Athelstan trying to usurp Ragnar's favor (which he did) but more importantly, he saw Athelstan as a threat to their way of life because of his closeness to the goddamned king of their little domain. From Floki's POV, Athelstan was a prisoner that Wormtongue'd his way into Ragnar's life and has pulled Ragnar away from the favor of Odin and the gods, resulting in catastrophe after catastrophe. Dude's like the most Viking dude on the show called Vikings and all of you Floki naysayers can go hang out with the Christ-God. :colbert:

Floki is too much of a runt to be a viking. He's more like the emo outsider. Finish up your boats, die, and get replaced by that new big earl, Floki.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Ragnarr was being a bit lovely, but when he was standing over Aslaug when she woke up from her nightmare and he dropped that sick rear end one-liner on her immediately, he redeemed himself. He's beyond hilarious when he's a dick.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i think ragnar is gonna go berserker

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
just sat down to watch this and i cannot believe floki is still alive. ragnar better have some diabolical poo poo planned up or something, or i'm gonna be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Bjorn was dead and I was so mad because he's supposed to lead the Great Heathen Army. I saw him climbing the wall and said "well, I know for sure he's not dying." Then he's laying there with his eyes wide open all dead like. drat good episode. Was nice to see Floki crying like a baby in freezing cold water after all the annoying bullshit he's been on lately.

• Locked thread