Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hate the Earl's little bald pet hobbit. I can't wait for him to get axed in the face or something even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm glad they killed every character I dislike in one scene

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Old guy ruled.

"Yeah, so I was too badass to die when I was younger so...uh, yeah."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So I'm assuming that Ivar the Boneless made his "debut" tonight?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He hasn't even raided France, which is practically like...the main storyline for Ragnar. Plus his sons are kinda too young or not born enough to lead the Great Heathen Army.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The guy that plays Floki is just amazing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I nodded in approval when Old Guy went down.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

What happened to the fuckton of cavalry? Did they all just dismount and the horses gallop away?

Yeah, they did.

The Northumbrians seem to have no idea what they're doing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Every time people start getting hit with axes, I'm afraid Floki will die

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The good guys are clearly Ragnar because without Ragnar we'd probably call Thursday something stupid. Jovisday or something I bet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Family Values posted:

Pretty sure the Vikings of this time period would be no match for the Franks of this time period.

Its within living memory that Charles Martel shattered the Muslim armies at Tours, and that's back when the Muslim armies fell into the "invincible and unstoppable" category. Tactically, technologically, and numerically, the Vikings wouldn't have stood a chance against a Frankish army at this point.

Also, realistically, Christianity is probably the major reason why have a cultural lineage that stretches back to ancient Europe because the Muslim armies wouldn't have broken a sweat against a fragmented Europe.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is anyone other than Floki wearing corpse paint? Is he the semi-historical mythic figure that invents black metal?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I just remembered (from reading Wikipedia earlier in the week) :v: that the historical Ragnar was actually supposed to have a son named Bjørn so I looked him up and holy crap he's the future King of Sweden?!

I'm just waiting for Ivar to be born, so that we are ensured hot blood eagle action when he kills Ælla.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

This may be an obvious question in retrospect, but is it really all that important for Ragnar to have more sons? Doesn't he already have one?

Which do you want: one son to avenge the eventual death of his father or a pissed off hoard of sons to avenge his death, then collapse in on themselves fighting over the wealth he left behind?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deadpool posted:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/04/the-cast-of-historys-vikings-all-cleaned-up/

Floki's 'cleaned up' picture is amazing. He was the only one of the main cast I had no frame of reference for before the show and that picture is amazing.

Floki looks like some nerd that designs furniture for Ikea and lives in a house where everything is white and angular.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So in that awesome beach battle wherein Rollo (I think it was Rollo) was reciting a poem of some manner, while Floki was hatcheting people to death, is that poem, like, a real poem? Because it sounded awesome.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you're a human being, your ancestors were probably murders and rapists anyhow so that they could have survived the crappier parts of human history to give rise to you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Out of all the stuff that happened in season 1, I think the "so...you still Christian" scene at Uppsala is my favorite. Guy asks that third time and the Priest is like :fry: Or at least he should have been, because I'm not no Bible scholar but I remember that coming up somewhere in there.

That and literally everything Floki did.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

As a Catholic, this is an accurate depiction of what you want to do when you taste communion wine.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What sort of offering should I be making to Eir right now :ohdear:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Floki's been mixing it up since always! He was hacking guys up with two little axes over in England.

Helga's my favorite of the ladies. She seems nice. After a long, hard day of putting axes in people's faces, I'd like to have someone waiting for me with a wet animal skin to wipe the blood from my brow and a skull full of hot bear meat ready for me to eat. Also to keep me from doing things like volunteering to be sacrificed and cram hot irons into my wounds.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

life is killing me posted:

As far as shield maidens, I can totally buy the rational explanation, or inspiration really, for "shield maidens." I didn't know there was anything on which the mythology was based in regards to them. That's pretty cool.

Never seemed like much of a stretch to imagine that either real women saw combat and inspired the idea of valkyries or that valkyries came first and women went into combat because of that.

Speaking of, did they say that Aslaug's mother was Brynhildr? Wonder if that was just the name or if they were like "my mom was a demigod." I mean, it can kinda go either way here.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

savinhill posted:

I hope Floki becomes the most unlikely teen heartthrob when all these girls start watching.

Unlikely? More like completely reasonable.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brennan posted:

I think holding a hot knife like that is a poor decision

Now he has a scar shaped like that knife if he ever needs a pattern for one, like the Nazi in Raiders, so he's clearly planning ahead.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Wow those all his kids?

You say that like a guy like Ragnar wouldn't be boning all day every day.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't wait for them to get to England.

I mean, its fun seeing them doing their stuff at home, but that's fun like how the draft and training camp is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wessex eh? Yeah they got pretty far off course.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In the long term, it's going to be really interesting to see how they handle throwing Ragnar into a snake pit, given that he's the main character and you don't kill off the main character...like ever, unless its the end of the series.

Also, we were talking about the show at work today and I got to semi-coin the term "Chekhov's Snake Pit."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I imagine at this point that Floki is more of a manager than anything else. He probably works directly on Ragnar's ship because 1) Ragnar's riding in it and 2) so is Floki. But more walking around the wood directing other guys which trees to cut down and inspecting finished parts going into ships.

Wasn't Floki holding a baby in one scene too?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Was it confirmed or just a theory that Rollo is meant to be the Rollo that founds Normandy, even though in real history he was not contemporaneous with Ragnar? It makes Siggy's continuing existence make more sense to me if so.

Being baptized as Robert seemed like a pretty major yes to the idea that he's that Rollo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Personally, I figure the history is so uncommonly known its best to treat it like a spoiler. I mean, it's not like...the Bible where literally everyone watching it knew Jesus gonna get crucified.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

darthzeta88 posted:

gently caress you I wasn't done with that book yet.

I'm pretty sure they even mention it in the back cover blurb.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I love how Floki is practically non-human when he's in raiding mode. Like an alien or something.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Man, I kinda wanted to see Siggy throw down.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brennan posted:

So you want to see her get killed?

Regardless of the outcome, I'd have been entertained

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm excited about (preview spoilers) Ragnar hanging out in Ecbert's schemin' pool.

What got me about that was...so is that before Ragnar tries to go back to his place and finds out it burned down?

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 15, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

This show's imagining of Charlemagne would be great. Egbert is already badass as hell.

You know, I knew that plenty of guys would be squatting in Roman-era construction or repurposing their buildings. But for some reason I never thought of the baths still working and still being used.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ragnar looked about as uncomfortable as I would look as I eased into a pool with a naked guy

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not a doctor of lifeology but I'm pretty sure he'd have died by now

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Crucifiction was a slow, agonizing method of execution that usually took hours or even days

seemed like an awful lot of his blood was already on the outside of him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

marktheando posted:

Well, about Jarl Borg- (episode title spoilers) episode 7 is called Blood Eagle....

I can't believe they're going to blow the blood eagle load so early in the show.

Now it'll be all been there done that when we get to see Aella all blood eagled by Ivar the Boneless after Ragnar goes into the snake pit.

• Locked thread