Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Autechresaint posted:

Yes, if you just take out all that DRM and always on internet stuff, that shrinks the budget waaaaaay down. I mean like, I am sure Sim City 2013 would have only cost EA 250k had they done that.
I can't find solid numbers, but I doubt even the original SimCity was that cheap to make.
It's like they thought they were being really subtle and clever by naming features that nobody wants (like DRM) as things they could get rid of to cut down on the budget.

"Oh yeah...people will read this and be like...'whoa, I didn't want that anyway, win win!' Suckers..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
This an awesome Kickstarter but has the potential to turn into an awful mess:

Formlabs ran a Kickstarter to fund a stereolithography-based 3D printer, which resulted in 3D Systems suing Formlabs and Kickstarter for patent infringement. The lawsuit is ongoing, as is Formlabs' production of the printer to fulfill the pledges... What will happen? I have no idea. But this might result in some sort of precedent about what Kickstarter's actual legal relationship with the projects is. (I.e. do they have any responsibility or not)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

gschmidl posted:

This is great. I want to suggest a tier for print-and-play, but at what amount?

No amount. They link the print and play files for free in the pitch.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

cyberbug posted:

Formlabs ran a Kickstarter to fund a stereolithography-based 3D printer, which resulted in 3D Systems suing Formlabs and Kickstarter for patent infringement.

Well that's unfortunate. I wonder if this is a legitimate patent suit and not a "No fair, we won't be able to continue to do nothing and collect money anymore!" I don't have enough inclination to actually delve into the suit...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Orzo posted:

It's like they thought they were being really subtle and clever by naming features that nobody wants (like DRM) as things they could get rid of to cut down on the budget.

"Oh yeah...people will read this and be like...'whoa, I didn't want that anyway, win win!' Suckers..."

I'd bet they're probably going to make their game based off of one of those open-source Simcity clones, if they do make a game.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Toffile posted:

No list of bad Kickstarters is complete without Lore.

It's just a giant cesspool of amazing.

Um, every other terrible thing about this aside, what the gently caress does Rome have to do with 300 Spartans? I would expect someone who wants to make a "game" like this to have at least a basic idea what the gently caress they're trying to do with their historical themes.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Custom-modding an entire city and then destroying it with a natural disaster sounds fun, I guess? :shrug: The game almost sounds like a cross between SimCity and Minecraft so that'll float a bunch of people's boats.

Edit: I'm not trying to defend that terrible pitch, just to understand why people pledged.

They're trying to pull an OUYA; Capitalize on a demographic that's frustrated with the mainstream version of something and promise them a cheaper, better version that's also going to stick it to "the man." A lot of people are displeased with the direction of the new Sim City, and this is deliberately targeting them. He's not even being cagey about it. Every other line is professing the evils of EA and online only and DRM. It's an ambitious scam and he's certainly striking while the iron is hot. The problem is that you're not going to milk 250k out of the situation. Dude doesn't want to make a game, he wants to take the money of angry Sim City players and run.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Um, every other terrible thing about this aside, what the gently caress does Rome have to do with 300 Spartans? I would expect someone who wants to make a "game" like this to have at least a basic idea what the gently caress they're trying to do with their historical themes.

If he is actually able to make a decent game, Lore may very well be the game equivalent of Tails Gets Trolled. Unfortunately, this RealPlayersGrind guy is far and away from even making a good character model, let alone coding.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well lookee what just hit youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q

IT BEGINS :getin:

Liska
Jan 9, 2002
A MY LITTLE PONY AVATAR WAS HERE
I like that comments are already disabled for the video. Either it was done preemptively, or things got out of hand that quickly.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Well lookee what just hit youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q

IT BEGINS :getin:

It's as if millions of neckbeards cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

This is awesome and I feel good about backing this.

Liska posted:

I like that comments are already disabled for the video. Either it was done preemptively, or things got out of hand that quickly.

I think it was done preemptively.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Liska posted:

They were disabled preemptively along with ratings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Liska posted:

They were disabled in advance. To quote Anita "Comments are closed on YouTube (for obvious reasons)".

Friends Are Evil posted:

It's as if millions of neckbeards cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

This is awesome and I feel good about backing this.
I'm happy that the videos are being released now. I did get worried about the sparse communications since the project was funded, although the whole project was a rollercoaster ride of huge funding and mass rear end in a top hat trolling.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Liska posted:

God drat it. I want to see the comments. Here I am with a fresh gamers.txt document with nothing to paste in it. If I had given much money to this project, I'd be seriously pissed. Do they not get that the theater of nerd rage is half of the reason why so many people gave them money?

Besides, I feel like their effort was to begin a dialogue, not preach to the choir. Sure, it's Youtube, but that's exactly why they should leave it open. It's for the same reason why democrats never really challenge congressional seats of old racist republicans: every time those old farts open their fat mouths, donations flood into the DNC.

The more often an average gamer is exposed to the buffoonery of his idiotic sexist compatriots, the more likely he is to give a poo poo about the issue, if only to distance himself. The best way to demonstrate a culture of misogyny isn't to make a calm, well-reasoned argument but to make a calm, well reasoned argument that is followed by a flood of badly-written sexist responses.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on the quality of the vids themselves but I don't think anyone was going to. I can kinda see why she wouldn't want to see 100 pages of "dont you think its bad for men too you dumb slut men's rights now!" And "bitches back in the kitchen and make a sandwich like my mom"

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

SovietSpyGuy posted:

I think this one qualifies as awful: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809021552/the-new-black?ref=category

The presentation is good enough but I just can't wrap my head around it. Is there some sort of market for particular colors? Why would anyone care about the "New Black?"

More to the point, why do you need $15,000 to open Photoshop and play with the color palette? Is he paying Pantone $15k to let him sit in the cafeteria on his Macbook?

Maybe I'm just totally ignorant and missing the point but it seems silly to me...
This actually makes me a lot more frustrated than most terrible kickstarters, because what he's describing won't actually work, and he has to be aware of it. It doesn't even fall into the category of cute ignorance ala' old men selling their ideas for overly complicated board games. It's just stupid. I don't know the specifics of color calibration, but from what I understand of it from Photography ventures, most monitors displays colors a little differently, and every printer will read those colors differently.

There isn't some magic hex that no one has discovered that will change that.

He is, indeed, asking for $15,000 to open photoshop and play with the color palette.

He seems like he knows how to design stuff really well, but still manages to come off as a self-important rear end in a top hat through the description of the product. At least with bad video game products there's some ambition. This is just asinine.

quote:

Custom colors are made all the time, Coca Cola has their own red, UPS their own brown, and Tiffany Co. their own blue. But The New Black. will not be owned by a private corporation, it’ll be owned by us, for us all to use.
What is this poo poo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on the quality of the vids themselves but I don't think anyone was going to. I can kinda see why she wouldn't want to see 100 pages of "dont you think its bad for men too you dumb slut men's rights now!" And "bitches back in the kitchen and make a sandwich like my mom"

I feel like the fact that the "Tropes vs Men in Gaming" guy ran off with the money is a heck of a lot more amusing than any Youtube comment on the video would be anyways.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

EatinCake posted:

This actually makes me a lot more frustrated than most terrible kickstarters, because what he's describing won't actually work, and he has to be aware of it.

What in the gently caress? A new black? What?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

EatinCake posted:

I don't know the specifics of color calibration, but from what I understand of it from Photography ventures, most monitors displays colors a little differently, and every printer will read those colors differently.

The important thing is that he would get Pantone to approve of it as a official color, which would mean that most non-digital printers could buy that color directly or have guide as how to mix it. Digital printers don't read colors differently, it would be a disaster if for example the special red that Coca Cola uses looked different each time. But digital printers do need to be calibrated, at least once a day in order to be consistent in color.

That being said, this kickstarter is dumb.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Noni posted:

God drat it. I want to see the comments. Here I am with a fresh gamers.txt document with nothing to paste in it.

Idiots are already ripping and rehosting it just to try and slam her/open comments, go find those. Also: if you actually want to see what's going to be said, enjoy being terrible (nothing funny will come out of it)

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

Although black is thought to just be hex code #000000, or RGB 0/0/0; black encapsulates far more than just that, just as there are many many shades of "red" outside of just #ff0000.
So, what? A different shade of black? Wouldn't that be uhhhhh grey? Maybe a reddish-black?

How much do you wanna bet he ends up with a slight variant on rich black?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So these guys have a kickball team. Only they want $2500 for uniforms.

Not quite sure why they can't wear a goddamn t-shirt like everyone else in the league (Disclosure: I once played in this league years ago). Also one of the higher-end backing tiers is that they'll let you stay under their tent if it's raining!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Machai posted:

So, what? A different shade of black? Wouldn't that be uhhhhh grey? Maybe a reddish-black?

How much do you wanna bet he ends up with a slight variant on rich black?

How much you wanna bet he goes "that's right, this was a self-effacing performance art piece that was meant to draw attention to the self-important people creating garbage on crowdfunding sites! You are all my puppets! But thanks for funding my campaign I'm gonna go ironically do coke off of a hooker's ironic rear end in a top hat"

Srice posted:

I feel like the fact that the "Tropes vs Men in Gaming" guy ran off with the money is a heck of a lot more amusing than any Youtube comment on the video would be anyways.

Channy Channers trusting each other to fund a campaign of malice is up there with Bitcoiners trusting each other with the Free Market

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Mar 8, 2013

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Jet Jaguar posted:

So these guys have a kickball team. Only they want $2500 for uniforms.

Not quite sure why they can't wear a goddamn t-shirt like everyone else in the league (Disclosure: I once played in this league years ago). Also one of the higher-end backing tiers is that they'll let you stay under their tent if it's raining!

..and the only levels that aren't limited are two of the 100$ options. Those being the 'hang out under our tent' and 'we'll wear your logo for a whole game!' the two that seem like they should be limited, perhaps by the size of the tent or number of games in the season, perhaps.

If they sell out every reward tier they still need to sell at least 13 tent seats or logo spots to hit their goal.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Guavanaut posted:

They were disabled in advance. To quote Anita "Comments are closed on YouTube (for obvious reasons)".

I'm happy that the videos are being released now. I did get worried about the sparse communications since the project was funded, although the whole project was a rollercoaster ride of huge funding and mass rear end in a top hat trolling.

It's no fun with video comments closed.
Yes, for a while it did look like she wasn't going to deliver anything, since entire series had estimated delivery in december on kickstarter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Idiots are already ripping and rehosting it just to try and slam her/open comments, go find those. Also: if you actually want to see what's going to be said, enjoy being terrible (nothing funny will come out of it)

Here's a few reuploads of the video with comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQXsQnWw8PI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lu3CQPzJw

Here's TheAmazingAtheist complaining that Sarkesian disabled comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfkS9YS_T0k
He couldn't find anything to complain about in the actual video so he went and tracked down some random online feminists to shout at. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Mar 8, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

It's no fun with video comments closed.
Yes, for a while it did look like she wasn't going to deliver anything, since entire series had estimated delivery in december on kickstarter.

I'm wondering if she pushed it back to Thursday so it could coincide with International Women's Day, which is today. That way, more people would be aware of it.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
How much money did the tropes vs women person make? I know she was going to give money to charity, but how much did she keep for herself?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

illiniguy01 posted:

How much money did the tropes vs women person make? I know she was going to give money to charity, but how much did she keep for herself?

Her original goal was only $6,000 and she made that plus a little more in the first few days and then the project went quiet for a few weeks until the MRAs/gamers caught wind of the project and kicked up a major stink and the massive amount of extra publicity they brought to bear helped raise the total to $158,922 by the time the deadline rolled around.

I don't know how much she's given to charity but if she fulfils all the pledge rewards and completes the project she's entitled to keep whatever's left if she feels like it. She's spent some of the money on a logo redesign and some new production staff members and the actual video production (and then the major pledge reward of sending out the DVDs of all the videos) won't be finished for several months. Her stretch goals were to create extra videos and also a Tropes vs Women in Video Games Curriculum with teaching guides and classroom activities and there's no telling how much those might cost. As it stands the project still has months and months to go and there's currently no way of knowing how much money will be left over after it's wrapped, if it ever does wrap and she doesn't keep going with it.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Mar 8, 2013

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

-Won't read that-

:/ I was watching the Vinesauce stream last night,I believe, and there was already a :qq:manbaby:qq: going stupid on the chat. Had to close that tab. So yes, I guess you just approach to any gaming community and you'll get the stupidity you are craving for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That's the saddest thing ever. How pathetic do you have to be to do that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I grabbed a few typical comments off those rehosts if people are wondering what they're like. (Hint: Desperado Bones will definitely not want to read these.)

... and so on and so forth.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

(Hint: Desperado Bones will definitely not want to read these.)

:cripes:

Someone post a hilariously awful Kickstarter,please?

(Curse my curiosity, I read the first four).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of funny how the one guy who is semi-reasonable has a note attached to his comment that its received a lot of downvotes.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robocat/thermodo-the-tiny-thermometer-for-mobile-devices?ref=home_popular
A thermometer you need to plug into your iPhone. Is there loving anything with iPhone support slapped on it that won't get funded? Anyone who would actually need to measure temperature to such accuracy would already own a thermometer, one they don't need to fumble with their phone and keys to use.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Desperado Bones posted:

Someone post a hilariously awful Kickstarter,please?

How to lunchman: Diabetic cooking Vol 1 - Mediterranean

quote:

im playing to make the second epoide of the a new series of how to lunchman with dibates

Hmmm, I certainly hope the food he's planning on cooking doesn't look like curdled snot slopped onto a paper plate...
Just kidding, the curdled snot was his teaser pic on the project listing page:

And here's a good Kickstarter: The Reward - Tales of Alethrion. Scroll down to see the 9 minute animated fantasy film they recently released which will be the basis of an ongoing series, it's awesome.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ok, if it's possible to outdo that in amateurishness and badness, I'm not sure I really want to see it.

fake edit: oh, the video and project page were done by a cat? I guess it's impressive for a cat.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
Mu Thermal Camera - THE GREATEST TOOL TO ELIMINATE ENERGY WASTE. This was on Hack a Day a few days ago, and it's actually kind of cool on paper, but there are a few minor problems. Firstly, it's a Flexible Funding campaign for something that's going to have a whole bunch of upfront engineering costs. Secondly, just the thermal imaging sensor alone would apparently cost way more than the amount they're charging their backers for a complete device. Thirdly, they have no photos or videos showing either the actual hardware or a prototype of it, just renderings and a few videos that may or may not have been filmed on some kind of thermal camera.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Here's a few reuploads of the video with comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQXsQnWw8PI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lu3CQPzJw

Here's TheAmazingAtheist complaining that Sarkesian disabled comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfkS9YS_T0k
He couldn't find anything to complain about in the actual video so he went and tracked down some random online feminists to shout at. :v:

That first one is the worst. Does the reuploader even understand the concept of a metaphor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

And here's a good Kickstarter: The Reward - Tales of Alethrion. Scroll down to see the 9 minute animated fantasy film they recently released which will be the basis of an ongoing series, it's awesome.

:swoon: This is beautiful, does Amazon accept international debit cards? I just want to throw money at them.