Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The great thing about Unity as it's set up is that you can use the free version to at least built a working prototype then, if you and your team have decided to go all in, purchase the full version and simply drag-and-drop the files in. If you're serious and there's five of you, that's $300 a person. That's a few bake sales, some overtime, and selling some poo poo on eBay money.

Edit: holy poo poo, I read those guys' credits, that's like Brad Pitt asking for money to buy a RED digital camera so he and Angelina can make a movie.

Of course, EA really didn't pay them very well.

Young Freud has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Um...the first video of that is coming out this month, dude.

According to the posted article, this week even.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SovietSpyGuy posted:

Now past their goal of $900,000, currently at $976,865.

I think this might be the fastest growing KS ever. Trending towards $31 million. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

I know they probably won't reach $31 million but holy poo poo.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

It's no fun with video comments closed.
Yes, for a while it did look like she wasn't going to deliver anything, since entire series had estimated delivery in december on kickstarter.

I'm wondering if she pushed it back to Thursday so it could coincide with International Women's Day, which is today. That way, more people would be aware of it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Offbeatr. It's still around.

Has it produced anything yet? poo poo, everything I saw on that site wasn't even being pledged yet because there was a system where you had to vote to get your project pledged.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Almost nothing but furry projects, of which I'm lumping in the succubus/incubus web RPG.

The alley mural is pretty cool, but, to be honest, they could have done a Kickstarter for that and just not mentioned that it would be sex graffiti.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

Now, if you want to talk about a strong female lead being neutered (spayed?) out of their games, look at Samus. Every Metroid game, every one had her as an independent protagonist that was strong and didn't rely on a male protagonist to reach the goal. Except for Other M where she becomes "uguu samus-chan~," a submissive female that can't do anything until Adam tells her. poo poo, it's even known from interviews that that's what Sakamoto was going for.

I'd be happy to see "Other M" in the next video. It's a wonderful discussion topic on this industry going in the absolute wrong direction.

Even before "Other M", Samus was being depowered and sexualized in the Zero Mission and Smash Bros. Brawl by being stripped of her iconic and remarkably unfeminine Power Suit in favor for the skin-tight Zero Suit and making her a slim blonde. I certain Sarkeesian will bring that up in the Fighting gently caress Toy segment.

Also, Nintendo, can you at least once make "The Legend Of Zelda" mean something? It's not the legend of Link, it's Zelda's legend. Like it's Zelda's story. It's a point that's actually bothered me before the Tropes Vs. Women pointed it out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Careful folks. You dont want to end up on gamers.text

The problem I'm seeing is that people want to talk about this and when given the opportunity, will do so. However, most venues tend to get filled with MRAs decrying a false "misandry", which requires moderation to keep that signal to noise down. It's happened when we tried to discuss the Tropes vs. Women in Games and is the reason why Sarkeesian shut down comments.

However, I wish she used some of her pledge money to create a forum where people could discuss the topics she raises without it getting flooded by MRAs.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maybe Mitchell Hurwitz should follow suit so he can get that Arrested Development movie made.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I doubt they're complaining, because everyone knew, how the whole tier level was worded, that they would be dead in a panel anyway. I believe there was a tier just above that the said their OG troll would at least be guaranteed to survive at two panels, meaning they'd be introduced, participate in some way like being in the background in the next panel, then get immediately killed off.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yo who wants a super-racist manga clone?

Meet Shaniqua No Ho.

Jesus Christ. The Japanese title is loving atrocious as it's content. "Shaniqua's Ho"?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Humboldt squid posted:

Every possible permutation of -punk has been covered at this point, except punk-punk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives

Still surprised there's no Googiepunk or Brutpunk. Then again, anything sci-fi in the 70s was probably Brutpunk.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I think this is a Kickstarter we can all get behind.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

I don't know, I think $21mil is on the low side for today's state-of-the-art defense technology.

Well, obviously they wanted $94 billion but revised that number down.

It's really just one of those Kickstarters where they'll use the crowdsourced money to present their ideas to more wealthy donors.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The mom probably thinks of it as a first lesson in business and attracting investors to a project. But it's just really out of touch and creepy - just let her run a lemonade stand or something. Or at least let the kid actually make the pitch and video, she'd get something out of it that way.

There's actually very few outlets for kids to learn how to run a business these days. There are laws that prohibit the operation of lemonade stands, the least of which requires a permit to run as well as following food service and health ordinances and the like. There's been cases where the cops have come out and shut down some kid's operation that hasn't made $5 then fined the parents $500. "Stranger danger" and people's intolerance for door-to-door sales has pretty much killed those school-sponsored chocolate sales and the internet has hurt sponsored magazine and newspaper sales. There's always Girl Scouts, but even there, you're better off leveraging with the group and sit out front of a Walmart than going it alone and deal from your own sidewalk.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

It's so barely above average that it honestly doesn't matter.

More like within statistical deviation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I remember Riley getting mad that Double Fine had been a success while her game bombed and citing it as a blow to social justice. Now Double-Fine just made one of the co-stars of one of the most anticipated games of the year be a woman of color. :golfclap:

Yeah, and it looks like it's one of those cross-generational stories done right, unlike Riley's confusing mess of a story that was simple white boy and his black girlfriend in love story.

Orzo posted:

Who is Riley?

A SJW, had a tumblr called whatwhitepeoplehate or something like that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Anime guy should take a page out of JiDi JiDi Fairies or Inferno Cop and just do it, drat the animation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sony Pictures have picked up the rights to ALF and are currently developing a CGI/live action movie. Hooray! :toot: Just like The Smurfs and The Chipmunks! Oh. :smith:

I bet he won't even eat a cat in that movie.

pathetic little tramp posted:

I really want to see a continuation of the Showtime series Melmac Nights, that's when ALF really developped as a character: they introduced the illegal narcotic RUFF that people on his home planet were addicted to and we got to see ALF break out the soulbreaker, which is maybe the most badass gun in television history.

It really evened the playing field for his character in the biolords sagas, but I think if they do a reboot of the franchise, they don't need to bring the biolords back - I think they concluded and fully explored the vein of biolords stories after the droid incident on the moon and it would look like pandering to bring them back into the mix.

Goddamn, I wish this was true.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Are you seriously badmouthing a dude who lost both his legs in a terrorist bombing?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Magypsy posted:

I just found an actual website selling those horrible athiest shoes from a while back. :doh:

What's interesting about those shoes is that, last month, it was reported on the news aggregate sites that there's some unofficial discrimination going on in the USPS involving the tape they use in packaging.

quote:

The company regularly ships shoes, like the ones pictured above, to America. When it does, it seals its boxes with tape featuring the company logo, which is stylized as "ATHEIST · ATHEIST · ATHEIST" (see below). But these shipments often run into problems.

The company explains on its website that shoes shipped the U.S. often take longer than they should to arrive, or go missing altogether. "When some of our customers asked us not to use ATHEIST-branded packing tape on their shipments, we started to wonder if the delays were caused by the US Postal Service taking offence at our overt godlessness."

"So," the company writes, "we launched an experiment."

Said experiment, which is recounted in detail in an infographic on the company's website, saw 178 packages shipped to 89 people in 49 U.S. States. All packages left Berlin on the same day, and each person was sent two packages. The first was sealed with ATHEIST tape, the second with neutral tape. The result? Boxes sealed with ATHEIST tape were ten-times more likely to go missing, and took an average of three days longer to arrive than neutral-wrapped packages.

"Having run a series of control tests in Germany and Europe, which demonstrate no such bias," the company writes, "the problem appears to be in the USA and is likely explained by the differential handling of packages by the employees of the US Postal Service." An unsettling find – remember, mail-tampering is a federal offense.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Also, I see nothing wrong with not having a loot system or using checkpoints :colbert:

I don't even think these two items were even mentioned in the Kickstarter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Khisareth posted:

Despite the fact that someone out there thought "Let's design a Pedobear shirt" and someone else printed it, and he bought it, no it is not acceptable.

Completely forgot that P-bear was created as an innocuous Japanese mascot in a whole lineup of mascots a year or so before it was appropriated by 4chan, did you? I'm certain that the bear carries a different meaning in Japan than in America.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Let's evaluate the possibility that he ordered his shirt from a Japanese clothing company (and in three years of living in Japan I've never actually seen a wild pedobear) versus the possibility that he is a wretched nerd, loves 4chan, and ordered a t-shirt from other wretched nerds.

Pedobear, IIRC, came from 2channel as ASCII art of "Kumar!" for troll bait back in 2000 (the joke being a bear caught while fishing by a fishing hook). By the time the 4Chan appropriated it for their own uses, it was 2005-2006, right when a company called Sukueya started putting out 2channel merchandise, including a zodiac of mascot characters that include Kumar/Pedobear.

Khisareth posted:

I fully admit I didn't research the original origin of a 4chan meme before passing judgement except he doesn't live in Japan. I really doubt he ordered a T shirt in a naive accident, to wear during his speech on putting together a Magic the Gathering podcast.

I'm not saying he didn't. People buy poo poo from Japan all the time to fit their own secret meanings. Of course, I know there's an American company that licenses such meme flotsam.

Verdugo posted:

The hairbrained schemes folks have been very disengenuous about the project's direction. I would not be surprised if they knew this (and the licensing issue) from day one, and just decided to omit it from the original kickstarter.

What the gently caress are you talking about? They've been very forthcoming about their work on the game.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

So I was puttering about one day on 4chan (I know, I know), when I saw a blank link to something called 'offbeatr'. I thought it sounded familiar, but didn't know where from. I followed the link, and then I remembered a split second before the page loaded: Offbeatr is the adults-only Kickstarter. It may be cheating (ahahaha), but I thought I'd poke around (sorry) and see if there was anything worthy of posting. Hoo boy (all links are :nws:, in case you didn't figure it out):

First up, Trials in Tainted Space, which seems to be some kind of text adventure, focusing on a question which has no doubt plagued (or, well, chafed) nerds for decades- what if Captain Kirk focused his explorations solely to anything he could stick his dick into? Well, wonder no more! For T.I.T.S. is sure to answer that question and more! Featuring such elements as:

Sexyhot! It also features 'gold membership', which basically means that you get game membership 2 weeks earlier than everyone else :hellyeah: Did I mention that it has $130k with 4 days to go? Now there's a project you can hang your hat on! That is a penis joke, dear viewers!

Well, 4chan didn't fund that game for no reason. I thought it was pretty sketchy with no concept art of its own to show for the announcement, but then I recalled the name of being the guy who made that "Corruption of Champions" Flash game that is super-popular on the chan boards, so he pretty much made a mint off them, although I'm sure he's going to spend a huge amount commissioning the artists.

Young Freud has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Apr 30, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

genesplicer posted:

The MAN card is the 2013 version of that 1982 classic book Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. And it's equally lame. No, lamer. RMDEQ actually could make a case for itself. The MAN card can't do that. Does it say "Pretentious Douchebag" on the other side? Because that works, too!

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche was actually written as a satire that proto-MRAs ended up believe in.

Young Freud has a new favorite as of 03:03 on May 29, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah. What the gently caress? And is it normal to have 1000+ friends?

Not unless you're famous for something.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I dunno, I know lots of people with close to 1000, and the only reason I'm under 500 is because I choose to keep it pruned to that size. Hell, one of my musician friends who does horror punk and self publishes all his albums has almost 3k friends, and I'd hardly call an indie horror punk solo act "famous".

I probably shouldn't have used "famous" but, like your musician friend, they probably do something to get those likes. They're active off-line and on-line.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ok Amazing posted:

http://www.pozible.com/project/7139
On an Australian crowdfunding site, Pozible, somebody wants to fund a search for the Tasmanian Tiger, an animal that's been extinct since 1936.

Maybe they watched The Hunter or are into cryptozoology?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Renoistic posted:

Damnit it took me 40 seconds before I realized something was off...

Yeah, it took me a bit to realize it's the Onion and I'd seen some of their Starfix videos before.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Noni posted:

I like how the author replied to the criticism, saying that the sexual assault instructions were taken out of context and intended to be for guys who were on dates and such, as if rape magically is not rape when the girl learns your name.

Honestly, the best thing for this douchebag to do would be to take the money and run. Literally cash the check and then cave into his critics' demands to not be published. Just say that the money is going to a worthwhile charity for men, i.e. himself.

Young Freud has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Jun 21, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Goddamn, I was hoping this was actor Chris Cooper making a manga comic. I just like the mental image of a 60-something Academy Award nominated character actor drawing out Not-Sasuke in hopes to break into the manga market.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

From Al Borland's link

quote:

Just remember there will be no (Aliens, Super powers and any other random nonrealistic features that you will see in random games will not be included.)

Oh man, is someone pissed off at Saints Row IV.

And, of course, everything seen in "demo" is cartoony sample models with procedural texturing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

the real blah posted:

I don't get it. if that's meant to promo their game, why pose them in a way that shows off their incompetence?

Because doing anything other than use the starter poses that come with DAZ 3D's Michael 4 takes time that being a producer doesn't have.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

"Cartoon Network: You Ruined My Anime"?
Come on, these shirts can't even manage to be relevant. I thought

I think that shirt would be 100% better if they used the font in those condescending [adult swim] bumpers instead of Comic Sans.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cerevisiae posted:

A quick google search reveals that apparently they did some art for them.

If I have to theorize, my guess is Soda Pop abandoned the idea for their own reasons, then the artists who worked on the game, knowing that there's at least a market for it, decided to resurrect the project.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

miguelito posted:

So reading that woman's pitch, it seems to be a common thing for a certain type of Americans to clamber over that mountain in Turkey searching for Noah's Ark. You learn something new every day I guess. Surely the mountain is well-mapped and she'll be shown around by local guides, right?

And it's perfectly safe right now, it's not like there's any wars close by that's stirring up the local ethnic revolutionary militias or anything.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

I can't recommend checking out his Design Website highly enough. Also, what's this about SA having previously picked up on his "mega giant" dating site for videogame people?

Everything looks like it's built on templates. The only one that actually looked like it was hand-coded was the Haiti one.

Also, I'm not seeing those ABC, BET, MTV, or EA Sports sites.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

The most amazing thing about that article is that there's a Monopoly world championship. How does that work? Is the last person who doesn't say "gently caress this this sucks" and leaves the winner?

Monopoly can be played for fun and to a successful completion (to win at Monopoly, it's having the most money at the end of the game). It's not like it's some sort of anomaly that you can play where everyone has fun playing it, although I will admit that only happened with the "electronic banking" version of the game, where there's no banker player and everything is run off a transaction calculator and "credit cards".

Seriously, when you don't have to worry about banker cheating, the game takes on another dimension, especially when inter-player sales and negotiating starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Thermal paper, being heat sensitive, will fade out if you don't keep it away from heat sources or indeed high temperatures in general. Like even just being in temperatures over 80 degrees for a few months are enough to start putting major fade on.

The wikipedia image actually represents it pretty well:

That flame didn't even touch the paper, but the heat caused places on the paper a bit away to turn dark, and places even closer to the heat to first turn dark then go blank. Long term heat exposure does a similar thing.

Yeah, I've left the little parking receipts that the automated vendors at a lot of the lots are using these days in my car. After a few days, locked in with the Texas heat, they become completely bleached white.