Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
LoG
Mar 9, 2004

CHOMP

I have no idea why but I'd like to check out Age of Conan since it's free. I know it's a long shot but does anyone still play it? I heard they consolidated down to one server so maybe the population might be decent. I know it used to be terrible, but I used to dig the combat. This is probably a bad idea but what do I have to lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

I actually logged in the other day when I saw it in my Steam list. Looked around saw no one so I logged back out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly representing vanilla Legends since 1994

It's not down to one server, it's down to four EU. Crom-PVE is fairly active still.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001
It's OK if I say fag- since I'm such a tremendous faggot, the FCC allows it!

Why would anyone play this game?

LoG
Mar 9, 2004

CHOMP

I like terrible games sometimes, and I'm bored with Path of Exile.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

LoG posted:

I like terrible games sometimes, and I'm bored with Path of Exile.

Edit: Ah well nevermind, nobody wants it.

Blorknorg fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2013 around 18:23

Manket
Dec 30, 2010

TING-A-LING! TING-A-LING!

I'm also curious if this game is even worth a drat now. I remember reading a while back that FunCom had really gone a long way to fixing all the lovely messed up bits. Is it decent to play solo at least?

rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger

I've been tempted to install it too after it showed up on steam. But then I remember what happened the first time I installed it.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Manket posted:

I'm also curious if this game is even worth a drat now. I remember reading a while back that FunCom had really gone a long way to fixing all the lovely messed up bits. Is it decent to play solo at least?

It's not really that bad of a game these days. Funcom botched the launch so badly that this game is forever to be regarded as a steaming pile of poo poo regardless of how the game actually plays. I have no idea what the f2p is like - if it's had terribly restrictions that make it a chore to play or not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly representing vanilla Legends since 1994

Grimby posted:

It's not really that bad of a game these days. Funcom botched the launch so badly that this game is forever to be regarded as a steaming pile of poo poo regardless of how the game actually plays. I have no idea what the f2p is like - if it's had terribly restrictions that make it a chore to play or not.

Two character slots only, no Alternate Advancement - though I think that requires the expansion anyway - and your default bag is half the normal size. In the case of the latter you can always drop a few pounds on the Tortage pack, which along with some double-XP potions and starter weapons gives a free 20-slot bag and free riding and mount once you hit 40. Playing 1-20 is probably worth £5 whatever the rest of the game is like.

The big problem with the game is it doesn't feel very Conan-like. You want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women. Instead, you spend a lot of time locating the village of your enemies, crushing 12 of them and collecting eight asses of their bears.

WaffleLove
Aug 15, 2007

jabro posted:

I actually logged in the other day when I saw it in my Steam list. Looked around saw no one so I logged back out.

This is the truth. It like walking in an empty mall filled with npcs.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

I installed it last night when I saw that it was free. Just for a change of pace and I remembered the combat being decent. I rolled on the US PvP Server, don't recall the name. It has some pretty cool classes and cutting people's heads off is always fun.

Choibai
Jan 10, 2009

What is the population like?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

I think the most amazing bug from this game is that females attacked slower then males due to how they did the animation.

I myself enjoyed the gameplay, through it doesn't appear that items dropped, or that there was anything to do at all.

WARDUKE
Sep 18, 2012

Muscly armed warrior with glowing eyes and shit.

I got an email about the 5th anniversary last night, and decided "what the hell?"

I downloaded it last night and have been running around on the Deathwish server which seems to have some old-school PVP rules.
I don't know much about the game, but it's been fun so far.

Lawlicaust
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Femur posted:

I think the most amazing bug from this game is that females attacked slower then males due to how they did the animation.

You are missing the best part of that design choice though. Damage used to be based on animation length. So for some classes, females would do more damage than males (Heralds of Xotli) or would be complete garbage (Bear Shamans).

Inspector Detector
Dec 13, 2008
INCAPABLE OF WRITING ANYTHING THAT ISN'T THE PLATONIC IDEAL OF "BEING A HOSTILE, SELF-IMPORTANT, OBNOXIOUS DICK"

Nobody likes you, so kindly fuck the hell off.

Sadly there were only two fun parts of this game:

1. You and your two friends standing over that bridge in the Newbie Zone, one of whom is a stealth thief who pops out as people try to clear your obstruction and flings them into the lava below.

2. Hanging out on that cliff in the zone before that terrible snow mountain zone and kicking people down the mountain to their death, via horse.

Then everyone got so mad Rangers, because unlike in Everquest, we were "TOTALLY OP" at 40-50 due to ranged attacks, traps, and stealth, so we needed more a nerf while everyone exploiting Tempest of Set got away with impunity. Not that I followed the game that much after I quit but I'd imagine they did.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Still play this occasionally and casually. Population swings heavily with timezones so there's occasions with plenty of players and other times where it feels completely empty. Overall, the game is still a lot of fun. The (melee) combat is good. The lore, artwork, animations, and music are great. I know the botched buggy launch is rather infamous, but I didn't play at launch and rarely have any problems with bugs, so I assume those have been reduced over the years. Game is old, but looks better and is more satisfying than a majority of the other free-to-play mmorpgs out there.

Nigulus Rex
Jun 13, 2006

Pioneer42 posted:

Still play this occasionally and casually. Population swings heavily with timezones so there's occasions with plenty of players and other times where it feels completely empty. Overall, the game is still a lot of fun. The (melee) combat is good. The lore, artwork, animations, and music are great. I know the botched buggy launch is rather infamous, but I didn't play at launch and rarely have any problems with bugs, so I assume those have been reduced over the years. Game is old, but looks better and is more satisfying than a majority of the other free-to-play mmorpgs out there.

I played at launch and I can't remember...is there a "story" to the game you can play through? Or is it more like WoW quest wise

Zipline
May 9, 2013

I have only ever subscribed for three F2P MMOs: Runescape (I was young), LoTRO, and Age of Conan. I remember when it came out it was complete garbage (or at least that's what the reviews I read said) but I gave it a shot when it went F2P and absolutely loved it. Definitely one of my favorite MMOs of all time, and I have played almost all the major ones at some point. It also had the most screwed up scene I've ever seen in a game though. Anyone remember that quest in one of the Khemi zones where you have to track down the woman's missing husband? Yeah, that was pretty disturbing. I mean, I guess if you have certain fetishes it might not be, but drat...

WARDUKE
Sep 18, 2012

Muscly armed warrior with glowing eyes and shit.

I have been playing pretty solid the last couple of days and just hit level 26 on Deathwish.

I think I am enjoying this game more than any MMO I have played in years. The best part is watching your back in certain zones and stalking other players to gank, but the scenery, music, combat system, and topless concubines don't hurt.

The PVP areas near Tortage on Deathwish (White Sands Isle, the Underhalls, and Acheronian ruins) seem to have enough players in them to make it entertaining, and I have been able to get in on some pretty good ganking - giving and receiving. The Hyrkania area seems to have less people, but I still managed to find some people to fight last night.

What was so botched at launch?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Nigulus Rex posted:

I played at launch and I can't remember...is there a "story" to the game you can play through? Or is it more like WoW quest wise

There is an over-arching "single-player" story that you play through. The first twenty levels are split between beginning open-world areas and the single-player storyline instances. After level 20, you do a single-player storyline instance every ten levels until the final one at 80. It's a pretty good Howard-like story. The rest of the open-world quests are mostly generic mmorpg quests, usually with more "mature" material, but there are a lot of quests that are gems taken straight from Howard lore that are a lot of fun.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

I get emails ever so often begging me to come back so some time last month I patched up and logged in.
I forgot how horrible this games combat is. I didn't even make it off the beach section you start on. Suddenly, so many bad memories.

WARDUKE posted:

What was so botched at launch?

The game was tolerable and kind of fun for the first 20 levels. That was the part of the game that was actually finished. After that it went downhill at a neckbreaking speed. The pinnacle was around level 40 to 50 where there was literally no content. 10 levels you could only grind out on mobs.
Also there was no armor variety to speak of, you looked the same for 60 levels until tier sets came in.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Syrek posted:

I get emails ever so often begging me to come back so some time last month I patched up and logged in.
I forgot how horrible this games combat is. I didn't even make it off the beach section you start on. Suddenly, so many bad memories.
You don't like the combat system? I admit it took some getting used to but it's certainly unique. I'd even go so far as to say it's a refreshing break from the norm.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Syrek posted:

The game was tolerable and kind of fun for the first 20 levels. That was the part of the game that was actually finished. After that it went downhill at a neckbreaking speed. The pinnacle was around level 40 to 50 where there was literally no content. 10 levels you could only grind out on mobs.
Also there was no armor variety to speak of, you looked the same for 60 levels until tier sets came in.

Alternatively, if you played in the goon guild on launch it you were KOS to the entire server, making groups absolutely necessary to go anywhere without getting ganked and providing constant small group PvP all the way to max level. It was incredibly fun, probably the best leveling experience in any mmo I've played.

Edit: don't get me wrong, the lack of content really sucked but some of the bugs were great, particularly the way there were no stats, as in attributes did literally nothing and the game was better for it.

DonkeyHotay fucked around with this message at May 17, 2013 around 02:04

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

let me tell you about lack of vats in ~my~ wasteland

Well poo poo. I've been reading the Complete Chronicles of Conan lately and been developing a need to play something Conan related. The options are a bit limited, and it seems I have to degrade myself by playing the game that raped my father, killed my dog etc etc.

Anyways, I was just wondering what would be the most useful and money saving crafting skill for a DT or conqueror? I'm guessing armorsmithing would be rather useful but who knows.

Starting from scratch cause I traded the old account away years ago.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Armorsmithing would be a good pick, and then either gemcutting for making gems to put into the armor, or alchemist to make your own potions. I would recommend alchemist as the potions you can make are generally cheaper or better than the ones you can buy from NPCs and that skill will keep its usefulness even at max level.

There is a major crafting update that has been in the works for a long time, and might come out by this winter at best, that will completely change crafting. From the demonstrations it should be excellent, provided they can actually get it released.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Pioneer42 posted:

There is a major crafting update that has been in the works for a long time, and might come out by this winter at best, that will completely change crafting. From the demonstrations it should be excellent, provided they can actually get it released.

Yeah I read about something like that. But this is Funcom so the timetable is probably similar to AO graphics engine update, which is something between "Soon™" and "possibly before the first inhabited Mars colony".

NeurosisHead
Jul 21, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Apparently they fixed a sizable majority of the launch problems, and the problems that were introduced by those fixes as well. I really would like to start playing this again, but it is a game best played with other people for the PvP while levelling and I don't know if the population would support much in the way of new blood. Older games that go F2P always seem to be lacking in new players, and what low level characters there are tend to just be twinked out alts for the endgame raiding grognards.

Pope Mobile
Nov 12, 2006

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

DonkeyHotay posted:

Alternatively, if you played in the goon guild on launch it you were KOS to the entire server, making groups absolutely necessary to go anywhere without getting ganked and providing constant small group PvP all the way to max level. It was incredibly fun, probably the best leveling experience in any mmo I've played.

Edit: don't get me wrong, the lack of content really sucked but some of the bugs were great, particularly the way there were no stats, as in attributes did literally nothing and the game was better for it.

I remember being part of a goon rush in the Aquilonian newbie zone. We ganked everyone we saw and a GM showed up because of all the reports/complaints. He told us we couldn't attack unless attacked first. Our solution was to stand around the respawn point, blocking people in.
There were a number of times, while out in the world solo, that people would run past me, see my goon tag, then turn around and attack. If they killed me, I often got /spit on. The amount of rage against us was fantastic.

NeurosisHead
Jul 21, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Pope Mobile posted:

I remember being part of a goon rush in the Aquilonian newbie zone. We ganked everyone we saw and a GM showed up because of all the reports/complaints. He told us we couldn't attack unless attacked first. Our solution was to stand around the respawn point, blocking people in.
There were a number of times, while out in the world solo, that people would run past me, see my goon tag, then turn around and attack. If they killed me, I often got /spit on. The amount of rage against us was fantastic.

They added the ability to crouch walk to bypass collision detection with mounts specifically because we all piled our mammoths and rhinos up around the spawn point in the city for Aquilonia too. We had some really good times griefing in that game.

e: Oh, and one of the 40ish zones, they banned a shitload of goons because we attacked people while standing on top of pieces of scenery because it would bug out the guards that were supposed to defend other players in the safe zones. Don't fix the pathing AI, just ban your paying customers.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I really would like to start playing this again, but it is a game best played with other people for the PvP while levelling and I don't know if the population would support much in the way of new blood. Older games that go F2P always seem to be lacking in new players, and what low level characters there are tend to just be twinked out alts for the endgame raiding grognards.

Actually, there seems to be a lot of low level people in Tortage at the moment. It's probably due to a recent 5-year anniversary but anyways. I haven't met even one yet who hasn't been completely retarded though. Guess I should've gone to a PvP server again to deal with it, but starting alone from scratch in a 5-year old gankfest doesn't generally fit into my idea of fun.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

What basically ruined Age of Conan (besides loot not dropping seemingly ever) was the fact that if the mobs were lower level than you they didn't drop loot ... so it was absolutely pointless to help lower level friends or try to farm anything not in your level range.

I played for a few months and really would have liked to continue but it was so devoid of content and raid bosses were soloable due to balance problems.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue.

Meowbot posted:

What basically ruined Age of Conan (besides loot not dropping seemingly ever) was the fact that if the mobs were lower level than you they didn't drop loot ... so it was absolutely pointless to help lower level friends or try to farm anything not in your level range.

Yes, that's what ruined it. Not the game breaking bugs or skills that just didn't do anything at all.

Monohydrate
Sep 25, 2009

I had so much fun beheading pubbies as a Bear Shaman during launch with Goons.

Funcom threw away so much potential with this game.

I can only imagine logging in nowadays is a husk of what (at least the beginning) of the game once was.

NeurosisHead
Jul 21, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I wonder if anyone would buy my old account? There's a mid level herald of Xotli and Dark Templar on there, and I don't think I ever used the free level 40 character that they gave out as an incentive at some point. It's even got the rhino pre-order bonus, which has got to be worth e-peen to someone.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Pioneer42 posted:

There is an over-arching "single-player" story that you play through. The first twenty levels are split between beginning open-world areas and the single-player storyline instances. After level 20, you do a single-player storyline instance every ten levels until the final one at 80. It's a pretty good Howard-like story. The rest of the open-world quests are mostly generic mmorpg quests, usually with more "mature" material, but there are a lot of quests that are gems taken straight from Howard lore that are a lot of fun.

Ah yes, the ol' Conan bait-and-switch. The first twenty levels of the game were awesome, and then all of a sudden it turned into turd soup. Didn't they eventually start to censor some of the flesh as well? It's been a long time since I played, but I remember the game as starting out fun and just going downhill from there.

Choibai
Jan 10, 2009

I recently started playing for the first time and so far I find the solo story thing to be more annoying than anything else. I mean how could funcom think forcing a player to do solo quests in a mmo would be any kind of fun.

Apart from that it is not too bad I guess, but I'm only level 13 so meh.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS DOGSHIT IGNORE MY BRAIN DAMAGED RAMBLINGS

Choibai posted:

I recently started playing for the first time and so far I find the solo story thing to be more annoying than anything else. I mean how could funcom think forcing a player to do solo quests in a mmo would be any kind of fun.

Apart from that it is not too bad I guess, but I'm only level 13 so meh.

It gets even better. From what I recall, that ugly tattoo that blotches up your character model actually cannot be removed until you progress the story to about halfway or more through the game. What's more, it overlays any customization you added to your character, and creates a horrible blending effect that looks ugly as hell.

The best part is that it's basically a giant brand (It literally is a slave brand, too.) the game forces you on that identifies you as a new player without as much gear or experience compared to veteran players. Combine this with the new UO style ruleset server that let you loot player corpses a year or so back, and this lead to a few instances of utterly hilarious/screwed up "progression segregation".

I remember watching a few situations where bandits would either creep up on you in the streets and use that as an identifier to see if you were an easy mark before shivving you (There were no guards in that ruleset.). That caused some hilarious drama in chat during the brief period I played the game.

Also, I don't recall the "no loot" thing. However, after the first expansion it became apparent that the dev team they had at the time could have really done some crazy stuff with the game if they had had the funding. Some of the random travel encounters in the expansion were nuts, like having Shai-loving-Halud come bursting out of the sand in a seemingly peaceful encounter to eat you.

From what I recall of the dev process the lovely state of the game was mostly the result of the original SWTOR-esque management cocking everything up and dumbing the game down from its original planned state to be more like WoW.

Archonex fucked around with this message at May 31, 2013 around 10:08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I came across this and don't know at all what to do with it. I'll just leave it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIvL...eature=youtu.be for pixel boobies

Fewd fucked around with this message at Jun 1, 2013 around 03:08

«3 »