Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I (quite stupidly) went into the new SimCity thread and said this looked like a ton of problems and I'm really not going to buy. This is really what they don't want to hear in there at the moment, so I left hurriedly.

Have many of the people here played the new one? I do love SimCity 4 but I think like so many of us, I've played it to death. But the new one doesn't seem to be about what I want from SimCity, namely playing by myself for hours in my own sandbox and building something epic. Can someone that's got a little experience directly compare it to SC4? The online stuff all sounds silly, but if the gameplay is that great then who cares. I've seen the dot points in the OP of the new thread, but yeah, as someone that's in this thread because they enjoy the gameplay of SC4, is SC5 the bitter disappointment I've heard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

benzine posted:

You can't say that and don't post some images, how rude of you.

SHUT UP BENZINE, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD.

Ref:

Note that not everything lines up exactly; some concessions had to be made due to the road placement limitations of the SimCity 4 engine and a lot of the time proportions are skewed as a result, but I've got most aspects. Note that I've had to re-imagine the central tram line that IRL shares roadspace with cars up that central avenue as a train rail, however the Victoria Square station is still there, as is the main train station on North Terrace - although that area's being developed currently, so I'll have to see what the final plans look like. Regardless, I've modeled every sidestreet I could.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Breetai posted:

Note that not everything lines up exactly; some concessions had to be made due to the road placement limitations of the SimCity 4 engine and a lot of the time proportions are skewed as a result, but I've got most aspects. Note that I've had to re-imagine the central tram line that IRL shares roadspace with cars up that central avenue as a train rail, however the Victoria Square station is still there, as is the main train station on North Terrace - although that area's being developed currently, so I'll have to see what the final plans look like. Regardless, I've modeled every sidestreet I could.

Nice, I want to see that all filled up. You could try with NAM to place the trams, I once tried to recreate mthe place I live, just too hard :negative:

And for the railroad fans, got two lots.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

benzine posted:

And for the railroad fans, got two lots.

:stare:

Is that functional? As in does it help you play the game? Or is just a cool looking virtual trainset?

Also, is there any kind of transport manager game these days, like Railroad Tycoon was back in the day, or should I just break out DosBox and play Railroad Tycoon?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Adelaide, now with more buildings (1920*1080 jpg file)

AlphaDog posted:

Also, is there any kind of transport manager game these days, like Railroad Tycoon was back in the day, or should I just break out DosBox and play Railroad Tycoon?

Open TTD, although it's a fairly mechanically complex game.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Is that functional? As in does it help you play the game? Or is just a cool looking virtual trainset?

Yes they're functional as freight stations, I find the Maxis stations a little lacking, luckily they're some good options.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

You guys sure are good at cities. I can't seem to make my cities successful OR pretty. Nevermind both. My last attempt I managed to get 70k citizens on a medium size plot when all my RCIs petered out - and while trying to manage my horrible transit network I got into a horrible deficit spiral.

Still I managed to get that far while keeping air pollution to an absolute minimum and having high-tech as my main industry.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Breetai posted:

SHUT UP BENZINE, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD.

Ref:

You.. you made Adelaide. I live in Adelaide. I'm sorry, I really am.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Adelaide

Haha, it's a square city surrounded by a random rectangular green zone separating it from its suburbs. You live in SimCity 5.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Tip for Sanzuo:

*PUNCH* posted:

It sounds like you've hit a demand cap. I'll write something coherent about these for the OP because they're a pretty annoying game mechanic, but in the meantime:

Every city has a certain base capacity for growth. Go beyond these and you'll start hitting these caps, which are entirely artificial. Try placing some reward buildings; the minor and major stadiums are particularly good cap busters. Other things you can do are neighbor connections, like previously mentioned. All of these things help increase the capacity for industry on a given tile, or to look at things the other way around, the bust the cap.

For the record, OldFashioned has a LOT of reward buildings so you've got a little more choice in how you want to bust through these caps.

edit: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/SimCity_4/Zoning_and_Demand This guide will tell you a bit more. Apparently the deal with industrial demand is allowing your freight to leave the city; if you do this, demand should be self-sustaining. The more you know!
If you're just starting and only have the one city, building another and linking it up is probably the best thing to do.

As for Adelaide, what on Earth is going with that city? At first I thought Breetai inexplicably left out a big section, but seeing the real thing raises a lot of questions.

Tony Montana posted:

SimCity inquiry.
I've been wary of the game from the get-go and have spent the week since release wallowing in delicious Schadenfreude, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. When Maxis announced they were rebooting the franchise, they weren't kidding. Where previous games had trended toward broadening the experience--it is SimCity, after all--the new game has confined players to 2km x 2km and focused on making a social experience. Don't get me wrong, if SC4 had easy multiplayer, I'd love to play with friends, but the new game beats you over the head with it. It's not exactly CityVille, but it's more social game than city simulation.

The game's proponents would argue that it is actually a much "deeper" simulation: it keeps track of individual Sims on their daily commutes. I fear that this was done at the expense of creating a real city, and there's countless examples of this supposedly deeper simulation being game-breakingly bugged and just plain superficial. Some people apparently have fun with it, so it can't be all bad, but as a long-time fan of SC4, SimCity seems a dreadfully flawed and downright wrong-headed reboot of the franchise.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cugel the Clever posted:

As for Adelaide, what on Earth is going with that city? At first I thought Breetai inexplicably left out a big section, but seeing the real thing raises a lot of questions.

Adelaide is what happens when you plan a city very, very well from the get-go. They decided to make the main avenues (circling the city and bisecting it) 3 lanes wide each way back in the day of horse and carriage(!), and it's ringed by parklands. The central rectangular bit is the central business district, and practically everything around it is suburban sprawl that sprung up after the city's development.

e: more on Adelaide, and an article that's probably a good read for anyone planning their cities:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2...ies%29&pid=5538

Here's the city from above in all its glory. It looks like a simcity city

Breetai fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 11, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Now simulate Melbourne :bang:

I guess when my planning minister's qualification is "played football", I can't really expect to much :sigh:

I think I've got the hang of this game now, sorta. It's fun.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is there a plot I can use to keep buildings a tile or two away from the road to plan for future expansion?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Now simulate Melbourne :bang:

To be fair, Melbourne was pretty well forward planned too, at least at the start. Ridiculously wide city streets, with a large-small repeating pattern along one axis? It's served us pretty well. It's just that it's made people so lax that everyone since then hasn't given a crap about keeping good planning up.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Adelaide's planning was basically an improved version of the Melbourne grid. The very wide streets especially turned out to be wise.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 11, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

At what point do you guys usually start building more "mass" transit between your cities? I'm playing the Fhuzo region from the OP and started my main city (medium-to-high wealth residential/commercial with miles of farmlands behind it) right at the mouth of the river, and it's humming along at about 15,000 residents. Meanwhile next door I have my slums and industrial city with about 30,000 poor people. Since I've got NAM installed I don't really have a ton of traffic issues between the two, but I'm wondering when it would start to make sense to build a train line connecting them, or maybe start on a highway system, with a mind toward future growth. The region in Grand Fromage's amazing LP is something like what I'm going for.

Also subways or monorails? Just for real-life issues it'd seem like subways are silly for any region below like half a million population, but I wanna know what you all use.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Does anyone have an idea why a custom region ala Fhuzo from the OP can cause crashes?

Apparently my crashes came out of Fhuzo. If I start the game and begin building on that region somewhere, I get instant CTDs. However, if I load some stock region which came with the game, I can build on those just fine. And if I build on a stock region, afterwards I can load up Fhuzo and build there without a crash.

:whoptc:

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

Fewd posted:

Does anyone have an idea why a custom region ala Fhuzo from the OP can cause crashes?

Apparently my crashes came out of Fhuzo. If I start the game and begin building on that region somewhere, I get instant CTDs. However, if I load some stock region which came with the game, I can build on those just fine. And if I build on a stock region, afterwards I can load up Fhuzo and build there without a crash.

:whoptc:

Which of the plugin packs are you using? I rendered the Fhuzo region with the Old Fashioned 2.0 pack from *Punch*. Maybe some of the trees cause the crashes.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Drone posted:

At what point do you guys usually start building more "mass" transit between your cities? I'm playing the Fhuzo region from the OP and started my main city (medium-to-high wealth residential/commercial with miles of farmlands behind it) right at the mouth of the river, and it's humming along at about 15,000 residents. Meanwhile next door I have my slums and industrial city with about 30,000 poor people. Since I've got NAM installed I don't really have a ton of traffic issues between the two, but I'm wondering when it would start to make sense to build a train line connecting them, or maybe start on a highway system, with a mind toward future growth. The region in Grand Fromage's amazing LP is something like what I'm going for.

Also subways or monorails? Just for real-life issues it'd seem like subways are silly for any region below like half a million population, but I wanna know what you all use.

You can always start using buses, they're really cheap and use the transit network so there is no big expense, they even cross cities. Just remember their users are R$ and R$$ sims.

I like to use rails because they're really cool and you should use them too, especially to connect the cities, just plop an station and some parking lots.

Tip: Always if you plan to plop a parking lot if you put mass transit in a residential zone, the sims will park and use the mass transit. I like to use an underground parking lot saving space, but STEX is down so I can't link it.

For subways are really cool and really expensive, more like for heavy densities areas and the downtown, after that you can perfectly use elevated rails.

And monorails I find them more like a gimmick very expensive and more for intercity travel than for your city, but they're super cool v:shobon:v

Edit: Just checked the speeds of the transportation for vanilla, don't know if NAM change this.
Street: 31 kph
Road and Avenues: 46 kph
Highway: 100 kph
Rail: 150 kph
Subway and EL: 150 kph
Monorail: 200 kph

NAM, opens more options like trams, although I don't use them cause I'm too lazy for the puzzle pieces.

benzine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 11, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wait, there are parking lots in this game?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Giggily posted:

Wait, there are parking lots in this game?
Unmodded SC4 at least has the parking garage, which does the same thing. The Old Fashion Pack Mk. II has several open parking lots as well.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Also, I'm a bit confused about the whole optional NAM traffic simulator. There are different options for the capacities of various road and street objects, but it seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of having to manage traffic if you can adjust it like that. I'm wondering if I should just stick to classic values.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Inverness posted:

Also, I'm a bit confused about the whole optional NAM traffic simulator. There are different options for the capacities of various road and street objects, but it seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of having to manage traffic if you can adjust it like that. I'm wondering if I should just stick to classic values.

The NAM, changed also and very very important travel time, if I recall the original travel time was around 6 minutes. Now it has a longer time and improved the pathfinding. The cool thing is you can just change them and see how it's going, so just classic or low also a great addition you can change the number of sims who prefer to use mass transit. In classic I find the traffic problems come way way to early.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Schorsch posted:

Which of the plugin packs are you using? I rendered the Fhuzo region with the Old Fashioned 2.0 pack from *Punch*. Maybe some of the trees cause the crashes.

None right now, I reinstalled the game earlier while trying to solve my crashes. I had Old Fashioned pack at one point too and it was crashing with that.

You might have a point with trees being odd though, because when the region is zoomed out like when it is when you start up the game, I can see trees on the map. When I select an area and zoom in, there's not a single tree. Don't know what that means or how it's connected though.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I want to use the region that was included in the OP but have a question. If I recall, in order to use a custom region you needed the config.bmp and also a heightmap file then you loaded it by using ctrl+alt+shift+R and selecting the heightmap file. It looks like the one included in the OP has already had this process done and has generated a ton of region files. Can I still edit the colors in the config.bmp with this download to get smaller cities? It doesnt look like the download has the original heightmap file.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

On trams, if you're using RTMT, be careful when placing pieces not to mouse over a currently placed piece with your cursor. It'll crash the game. (I think Grand Fromage talks about it in his LP and it happened to me once :negative:)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I didn't really use mass transit in my game-breaking "all plains, all optimized" region about a year ago. This was with medium sized cities only and NAM set to medium IIRC. The centermost city easily reached 200k pop and the whole region (with 10 or so tiles being used) was somewhere north of 1.1m.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

Fewd posted:

None right now, I reinstalled the game earlier while trying to solve my crashes. I had Old Fashioned pack at one point too and it was crashing with that.

You might have a point with trees being odd though, because when the region is zoomed out like when it is when you start up the game, I can see trees on the map. When I select an area and zoom in, there's not a single tree. Don't know what that means or how it's connected though.

I'll try to render and re-upload the region without trees in the next one or two days.

Or even better, without any plugins. That should work for all setups.

Schorsch fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 11, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

:stare:

Cities in Motion. Also Open TTD.

There is really good looking one that's on some European crowdfunding site called Train Fever.:krad: It's a modern Transport Tycoon.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ofaloaf posted:

Unmodded SC4 at least has the parking garage, which does the same thing. The Old Fashion Pack Mk. II has several open parking lots as well.

I've probably played SC4 for dozens of hours. How did I not know this? :saddowns:

Also, that's my biggest problem with the interface, especially when using a modpack. Selecting what you want to build is a pain in the rear end. You can only see like, five things at once and you have to click your way through this whole list of cosmetic parts just to get to something simple like a park.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
How the hell has simtropolis remained the biggest community site for this game? As long as I can remember, it's been horribly slow and terrible. I can't believe it has the community it does.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jerkstore77 posted:

How the hell has simtropolis remained the biggest community site for this game? As long as I can remember, it's been horribly slow and terrible. I can't believe it has the community it does.

The only other one is SC4 Devotion, which has such a horrible community that I'm pretty sure even the server they run it on has autism.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Schorsch posted:

I'll try to render and re-upload the region without trees in the next one or two days.

Cool, thanks. Hopefully it'll work.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

KillHour posted:

The only other one is SC4 Devotion, which has such a horrible community that I'm pretty sure even the server they run it on has autism.
There's also so much overlap in userbase that the relationship between SC4 Devotion and Simtropolis that the relationship between the two isn't even incestuous, because that would imply that we're dealing with two distinct entities.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Schorsch posted:

Thanks, that'd be great and the perfect time for me to abandon my first-steps cities and switch regions!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I did a fresh install and purged the SC4 folder in My Documents.

After installing NAM myself, everything went fine and loaded faster than ever before.

After copying oldfashioned.rar without the 'terrain stuff' into the plugins folder, the game crashes to desktop while loading a city. With software rendering turned on.

e: while loading a preexisting city in a plain region that is

Koesj fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 11, 2013

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
Turns out, I had a backup.

Looks like poo poo but is rendered without any plugins. I forgot to do some smoothing on a few coasts, too.

Download this and extract it into your Regions folder, rename as you see fit: http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/FhuzoNoPlugins.zip

e: oh and there's no heightmap, it only came with a SC4M file to load into Mapper or Terraformer.

Schorsch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 11, 2013

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Schorsch posted:

Turns out, I had a backup.

Looks like poo poo but is rendered without any plugins. I forgot to do some smoothing on a few coasts, too.

Download this and extract it into your Regions folder, rename as you see fit: http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/FhuzoNoPlugins.zip

Thanks!

Since this is already rendered, can the config.bmp be edited to make smaller cities without having to re-render?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Holy poo poo that Train Fever game made me feel feelings. Eurogoons, please fund that fucker up!

Sim City 5, when I can loving login, is very fun in its own weird way, but not in the way SC4 is. I think SC4 is going to get another decade on my hard drives, assuming I can continue to get lucky with it actually deciding to run on my machines. The Old-Fashioned Pack is pretty stellar, I've been having fun slowly (very) filling in a Fhuzo region with it and, man, for a ten-year old game, she's still got it.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

jerkstore77 posted:

Thanks!

Since this is already rendered, can the config.bmp be edited to make smaller cities without having to re-render?

No, but you can use the mapper to modify the city sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

jerkstore77 posted:

Thanks!

I just checked. Editing the config.bmp, after cities have been rendered, breaks the tile completely. As in: It's not even there anymore. Sorry.
You'd have to change the config.bmp, then load the map file in SC4Terraformer to change the layout.

• Locked thread