Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The OP forgot to add: SimCity 4 does not auto save. EVER. Under any circumstances. You have a couple options.

* Set a manual kitchen timer near your computer, or have an impeccable sense of time, and remember to save every so often. Crashes happen. Don't let a crash make you lose 4 hours of work.

* Use a 3rd party program, Auto Saver. Start the program before running SC4, set the save interval you want, and away you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I don't believe that SC4 is LAA anyway, so more than ~2gigs of ram won't help much, except for OS overhead.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
"Graphics Mods" are additional lots and things. None are required, all are optional. But let me make this clear: SimCity4 is not a game. It is a hobby, akin to a model train set. This is because once you figure out the mechanics, the "game" of simply expanding is so easy as to be boring. I understand SC5 emphasizes this game of expansion (as some call it, a "Land Space Management sim") but SC4 just lets you expand and brings about consequences (such as traffic, overcrouded schools and hospitals, leading to crime waves... and so forth) that you can try to fix, which is a lot more fun.

But part of this "hobby" aspect of the game is that you are going to want to make it look the way you want it to look. That's where all the other mods come in to play. If SC4 is like having a model train set in your basement, then LEX and Simtropolis is like the hobby shop with all the interesting models you can stick on your trainset. I would say that modding this game... that is, putting in new buildings, or as you say "Graphical Modding", is actually PART of the game, and what makes it fun.

You can "play" without it. But you're missing part of the fun if you do.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Drone posted:

Is there a decent guide anywhere to avoiding boring, North American-style grids?

I know there are some around, since I've read them when I was starting out, but the SC4 community being what it is, a lot of those have vanished and no one noticed, leaving a lot of dead links around. Here's a somewhat helpful guide with some concepts but no real details of HOW to do it: Suburbs. Here's a super spergy detailed guide with step by step instructions starting with a perfectly blank flat map (you need to read the whole thread): Realistic Cities for Dummies.

In general though, I find that the trick is to use a lot of diagonals, and try to create WINDING, SNAKING streets/roads that lead to central artery avenues. Don't grid.

So, start with an avenue, and in fact, make it a diagonal one. Then take a road intersection to it, perpendicular, and go a couple tiles, then dogleg back and forth a bit. Then take a couple streets and extend those off the road, but not too far away from the road. End the streets in cul-de-sacs (four street tiles in a square connected to each other, NAM will auto-generate a nice cul-de-sac for you). Then build zones facing the streets. Commerical zones can face the avenue directly.

Once you have a neighborhood like that, make another neighborhood, but only connect to the avenue, NOT to the other neighbood road/streets.

Once you're in that mindset, then you can go ahead and make horseshoe roads that double back to the avenue, and such things.

Hope this helps get you started.

Drone posted:

That Fhuzo map in the OP looks simply phenomenal, but it seems waaaaay too mountainous. Is there really not a problem building on mountains or should I just build around them?

There is a problem building ON the mountains, but what you need to understand is that the Fhuzo map is HUGE. I don't think you've grasped just how huge it is. For example, I've just started building on the very southernmost part of the map. See that little valley running north south? There is an entire LARGE map space there. The little bumpy part in the south-west corner? It looks a little horseshoe-shaped? That is an entire LARGE map space. That horseshoe part is flat enough to build on.

Sticking to that bottom corner, skipping the first valley, the space between the big mountain range and that little hill? An entire large map. I spent literally 16-24 hours over the course of a week filling that square with just farmland.

Think of all the mountains as places to stick windfarms, or as neat places to build highway tunnels through. Think about Pennsyltucky (western Pennsylvania) and all that empty space along the long highways... well, this map has places just for that.

Not to say that mountain building is impossible either! You can definitely build little shacks along the peaks with some effort, and it looks really nice. The trick is to abandon the idea that all space must be filled, and embrace wilderness tiles.

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 8, 2013

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Ofaloaf posted:

And why isn't the 'moneyeo' cheat working in my game?

Cheat code spoiler: It's actually "weaknesspays". There's also another mod out there that re-enables developer mode testing cheats, amongst which was "moolah #####" which sets your money to the exact amount of simoleons you want in your treasury. Interestingly enough, the developer cheats included "riskymoney" which gave $10,000 but had a chance of triggering an earthquake, which would have been a great addition to the released game. Anyway.

As a note, with "weakness pays" you can hold shift when you hit enter, and the cheat input box won't go away, allowing you to then press the up arrow to recall the last command, enter again, and cycle up/enter/up/enter/up/enter until you have enough money.

Gah! E;FB!!

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 8, 2013

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Very good question. Without trying it, my GUESS is that you'd need to return to region and then re-enter the city for the connections to appear. But that's just a guess.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

As far as I can tell, this is a NAM thing. Since NAM has increased pathfinding requirements over vanilla, it only runs pathfinding once per in-game month. However, if you are running on cheetah speed, it is entirely possible that a month will go by before SC4 has finished computing LAST month's traffic. When this happens, new lots believe that they are unconnected to the road system until the next time pathfinding is calculated, next month (unless it's still not finished with the previous one by then, etc.)

It's really not a big deal, and will generally only ever come up if you're building new areas while on cheetah speed. If you build on turtle, and watch on cheetah, you'll likely never encounter it.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
You want LESS Agri demand?

Just stop zoning it.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
In SC4, I rarely have any of the three bars near zero. I focus more on keeping the demands balanced then zero'd. So if R and I are maxed and C is halfway, I build more R and I. That sort of thing.

Having anything at zero would make me sad, because then I couldn't build it where I want to.

TheFluff posted:

How the hell do you use the hole digger lots? I wanted to make a ditch, so I plopped some down on every second tile like the screenshots show. Then I tried to drag a road through it but it just says "unsuitable grade for construction". If I try it perpendicular to the lots it says "unsuitable area to build network".

Place ONE digger lot. Connect ONE road to it. It will fail if you are too close to sealevel, as it won't dig into the aquifer.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
You need to stick a radio station up there, get really good coverage.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
More importantly, have you tried removing duplicate files/dependencies? There are a number of programs that can help you find these and remove them easily. Did WONDERS for my startup time.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I assume because that thing is the "best fit" for the current demand and the location's desirability. I've noticed this mostly happens for the poorer, smaller buildings, and that placing a park or plaza next to one of the plots is often enough to make them change. Then I can erase the park/plaza (or leave it be if it makes things look neat).

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think that smaller plots can look good if you make sure to stagger them, and make use of irregularly shaped fields, and line the fields with tree borderlines. I also like to stick a single square of light residential next to the work building, making it a family farm.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hrm, I suddenly started getting brown boxes in my city. Any tips for how to track down where they come from? I suspect it's from the CAM-Industry starter pack, since I just installed that looking for more variety in my smog-filled hellscapes of unbreathable air.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
You have to log in for the download link to appear. It's a different log in from the sc4devotion forums. Yes, it's stupid.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

J-Pak posted:

I was working on getting an industrial/hick town farm going and the commutes to the agricultural sector really wasn't that long. But in the blink of an eye I went from 219 people to 0. All abandoned due to long commute times (these are low R$ sims). I have not installed the NAM mod because I'm just working on farming towns for now.

Hey guys, I'm running the beta version of SC4 where the traffic system is completely broken and makes no sense, and I've refused to patch it to the version where this is corrected. I'm finding that, strangely enough, the traffic system is broken and makes no sense. How do I fix this?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
It's certainly possible to have only High Tech industry, but I think there's something to be aesthetically said for digitally rendered pollution in its place.

SC4 isn't so much a game to win, it's a modeling set to tinker with.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Brotato Broth posted:

That looks really nice.

How did you get these to work? I can never have large swaths of residential areas without them getting abandoned completely from commute distance being "too long."

NAM is not optional to play this game.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
That's less of a bug and more a case of it being "just how things are". I don't think it's possible to "fix" that without, for example, having complete access to the sourcecode and going ottd on it. (Man I wish that would/could happen)

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I haven't played SC4 in a while. Is there a mod that requires parking for cars? Or is that beyond what SC4 can really do?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm getting frustrating trying to find a region I'd like to use. I'm not interested in wall-to-wall large maps as appear exclusively on the various fan sites, I'd like to be able to pull open a small or medium map too, especially for the sake of my poor CPU. Maybe help crash less. Anyone have any good regions? Preferably with a nice mix of water/flat land/mountains.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Note that in the most recent NAM, the default maximum trip time is 10 hours. So... you should probably be okay with leaving it be.

In contrast, without NAM, unmodded SC4 maximum trip time is 6 minutes, but because that seemed short even to the developers, they tinkered with the display graph for commute times, and multiplied it by 12... so it would DISPLAY commute times of about an hour and 15 minutes, but the actual engine was computing it as 6 minutes. NAM also fixes this display discrepancy.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Mister Adequate posted:

Well, here's my little region that I was thoroughly enjoying until I hit this wall. Was going to actually try to coat it in farms before going back to build it up.

Incidentally, this region looks like EXACTLY the sort of region I'm wanting to play! I found it on simtropolis... but... the download requires SC4Terraformer, which I can't bloody get to run. I can use SC4Mapper just fine, so... anyone have a greyscale image of this map? Alternatively, if you can get SC4Terraformer to work, could you upload the blank region?

(On simdevotion: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29095-calidore/ )

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Mister Adequate posted:

I can't help with the others right now, but what's the problem you're having with Terraformer? If it's refusing to start you might be missing MSCVP71.DLL which is something I always forget to grab, and so always wonder why the hell SC4T isn't working every time I reinstall :v:

What happens is that the loading splash screen appears, the manual opens up in my browser, and then when the loading screen vanishes, nothing happens. No error message, no program appearing, nothing. I definitely have MSCVP71.DLL (I got error messages before I downloaded it and no splash screen or manual), I also have the most recent version of DX9. Not sure what could be happening.

• Locked thread