Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm just getting into SC4 for the first time. I knew I was in for hell went I wanted to avoid NAM 31 and had 20 tabs open trying to find NAM 30 which was split into a bunch of different things. Luckily, I remembered that I should be looking here and lo and behold, mod packs! Going to download Grand Fromage's pack and get angry about cities. :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Is there a plot I can use to keep buildings a tile or two away from the road to plan for future expansion?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Also, I'm a bit confused about the whole optional NAM traffic simulator. There are different options for the capacities of various road and street objects, but it seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of having to manage traffic if you can adjust it like that. I'm wondering if I should just stick to classic values.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Is there a readme anywhere about what exactly is in Killhour's Spergin' Gigapack or perhaps Grand Fromage's Pack?

I started out with GF's pack but moved to the other because there was so much stuff in it and I didn't know what all this poo poo did and it felt overwhelming because of that.

The mod packs certainly are lovely, but I don't like just tossing in mods unless I know what they're doing. People are also terrible at documenting the plots for the in-game menu.

Samopsa posted:

Don't build high schools.
Why not?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

For my first city, I'm building everything just on that one map and don't really plan on expanding anywhere else in the region. I picked New York for this and I'm realizing that it is depressingly flat after seeing Fhuzo. I'm doing to build there next.

On another note, the CEO of EA stepped down today. I want to hope something will change and that the SimCity franchise will be rescued, but I feel that stance is a bit too optimistic.

Giggily posted:

My Sims refuse to drive a few blocks to get to work, but they're fine with getting on the subway, riding that half way across town to the train station, riding the train through an entire large city tile, and then walking from the station half a mile to get to a farm.

Well, whatever works I suppose.
Gas isn't cheap you know. :pseudo:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Do any mods fix this traffic looping bug I'm hearing about?

Andrigaar posted:

I was curious about the Dropbox idea and did a quick experiment.

1) Set up a Dropbox account if you need to.
2)
code:
Example in Win7: mklink /j "C:\Users\[your login]\Documents\SimCity 4\Regions\London Dropbox" "C:\Users\[your Dropbox path]\sc4 - London"
3) Sort out who gets what regions, have Dropbox organizer send out invites as people claim regions.
4) Everyone start playing
5) Have tons of reconcile edge disasters if enough people join/regions are taken
6) Unnatural disasters!!!
7) Reset and repeat?
Doing mklink /D should be just fine, you shouldn't need to create a hard link with /j for this.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 19, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I have a question about things like plazas. A wiki tells me large, medium, and small plazas have a commercial desirability of 80, 60, and 50 respectively. Does this mean many small plazas would be more effective than one large one or that desirability depends on the plaza with the highest value?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

They're giving away free copies of SimCity 4? I thought they wanted people to actually play the new one. :smug:

Either way, more in the community can't be a bad thing.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I'm enjoying my first city a lot so far with Killhour's pack, and I've had only a single problem so far. My avenues seem to be missing an asset which causes these ugly boxes to appear. Does anyone know where I can get the missing file or fix the issue?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

benzine posted:

It's because of the USL, try to reinstall it or either remove it. Read the readme carefully, because they're some files that need to be deleted.
Thanks for the help, that solved the problem. :yotj:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

As someone new to SC4, what size cities (by population) should I aim for when starting a new region?

I wish I hadn't started with New York, since its all flat. :smith:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

My game seems to crash sometimes when I use the scroll wheel to zoom. This is the only case I remember crashing at all. Does anyone know of a fix?

Edit: Actually, Google tells me setting it to run on a single processor should fix the issue. I should have looked for this before.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 7, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I'm still on my first region and I'm regretting choosing New York because everything is so flat which makes it much easier to end up with samey grid cities everywhere. I was wondering if anyone had some recommended regions with a good mix of features such as found in this image:

I've already downloaded that Fhuzo region from the OP, but not sure if I want to use that one yet.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I saw agents being mentioned a few pages back in the context of Cities: Skylines.

What are agents and why is this bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I understand. Agents seem like something that sounds nice in theory but is terrible in practice. Terrible at the scales you want a city simulator to work on at least.

I haven't played SC4 since October 2013. I guess I'll back up all my old stuff and start fresh with Tai's pack.

Is there a list of what is in it? The only thing I don't like about mod packs is when they're filled with a bunch of stuff but I don't know what that stuff is or how it should be used.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2015

• Locked thread