Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

odiv posted:

Bah. I can't get the Old Fashioned pack to work. Either hardware or software with and without the terrainmods directory, I get sent to desktop.

I'm having the same problem, although the game does work from time to time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I didn't really use mass transit in my game-breaking "all plains, all optimized" region about a year ago. This was with medium sized cities only and NAM set to medium IIRC. The centermost city easily reached 200k pop and the whole region (with 10 or so tiles being used) was somewhere north of 1.1m.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I did a fresh install and purged the SC4 folder in My Documents.

After installing NAM myself, everything went fine and loaded faster than ever before.

After copying oldfashioned.rar without the 'terrain stuff' into the plugins folder, the game crashes to desktop while loading a city. With software rendering turned on.

e: while loading a preexisting city in a plain region that is

Koesj fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 11, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Jefferoo posted:

Anyone had any luck with the mod packs on the Mac version? I tried the big 1.7 gig one from the OP and it locks up my laptop the second I load up a city. Ugh. Tried starting a new one and got the same problem.

I'm afraid it's very tough to get anything to work on Mac with SC4, lots of packs are dependent on Windows only stuff AFAIK. It plays like poo poo on OSX anyway, I specifically made a Windows partition for SC4 on my MBP a couple of years ago and that worked wayyy better.

Bad for your battery life though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Daysvala posted:

Whew. That turned out longer than I expected. I probably got some information wrong there, and I was nowhere as detailed as I could have been. Let me know if anyone sees any glaring mistakes or omissions. And don't forget:

Here's a good FAQ for optimizing cities in vanilla SC4 plus RH: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/561176-simcity-4/faqs/21501

I made this quick region to playtest my NAM+CAM installation (since oldfashioned still gives me crashes):

Central City:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

While your advice does make general sense it's not the fastest way to get to the biggest skyscrapers in vanilla.

Your basic efficient city-building block will be limited by the mean reach of services that you'll need to break certain caps. Four 16x16 grids centered around the intersection of two open corridors (to be filled up with mass transit and services) is one of the most effective ways of maximizing small police- and fire station coverage circles.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
NAM makes it wayyy easier on you since even the more stingy simulators provide more road capacity than SC4s highly constrained traffic system. Among other things, CAM ups industrial capacity by a huge amount which is very convenient. It takes a lot less time to build up your residential caps when there's higher demand inside the city itself instead of somewhere else in the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Come on over to the Traffic Engineering Thread if you want to go into roundabouts and such.

• Locked thread