Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

EDIT: There is now a livestream talking about Richard Garriott's upcoming project being funded via Kickstarter, 'Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues'.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cently_launched

Link is down at the moment but you should be able to check it out for more info soonish.

Watch the stream in 720p here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6IzK3Iwrc

Mods: I'm guessing this thread now violates the 'no Kickstarters' rule even though it's not advertising the campaign per se? If so, go ahead and close the thread but don't ban me please :X It wasn't a Kickstarter when I made it!

There's 13 minutes left on the counter on LordBritishPresents.com. Apparently when the timer runs out, it'll start a livestream. It seems quite likely that Richard Garriott will be announcing a new RPG (maybe MMORPG?), based on this page and Garriott's treatise on the ultimate RPG.

So uh... let's speculate for 10 minutes (plus another 10 until the livestream actually gets going) and then post about the announcement AS IT'S HAPPENING. After that we can discuss the old Ultima games, UO, the weird upcoming EA game Ultima Forever (which is a tablet RPG that kind of looks like UO but will obviously be nothing like it in scope or gameplay). Oh, and this new RPG from Lord British I guess?

Tufty fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2013 around 16:10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

Ultima 9 remake on UE4.

Oberleutnant
Apr 24, 2009

I'd love for it to be an entirely new single player Ultima game, but that idea seems too good to be true with EA sitting on the IP.
Something in the spirit of that series would be almost as good.

I really loved that old trope of the player as an actual earth human being pulled through to the fantasy realm and actually becoming the character. It's just so corny. That's probably why I loved it, actually. Last game I played/know of that used that trope was Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

Biggest Faggot Ever
Aug 15, 2005

SHENMUE 3??

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

How many more tries does this guy get to make some revolutionary again?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

You snogged Madame de Pompadour?
Good for you!

Orv posted:

Ultima 9 remake on UE4.

I would be for this, completely unironically, provided he got to make the game he actually wanted to, without a publisher breathing down his neck.

Ultima 9 had some really spectacular music and ambience, even if the actual game was shoddy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

E: ^^ - Don't get me wrong, despite the ideas intention to rile something up, I would be really happy with the Ultima 9 I heard about before EA got all gynecologist on the development.

Until his spacebux run out I guess?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

How many more tries does this guy get to make some revolutionary again?

He's Lord British, he gets infinite tries (and beyond!). Get it? Because he went into space.

Keru posted:

I would be for this, completely unironically, provided he got to make the game he actually wanted to, without a publisher breathing down his neck.

Ultima 9 had some really spectacular music and ambience, even if the actual game was shoddy.

Pretty sure that anything he announces will be crowd funded through Kickstarter rather than a publisher. Since EA own the rights to Ultima, it'd probably have to be called Ultimate RPG or something like that - seems to jive with the wording used in his treatise I linked in the OP too.

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008

I'm wondering how important it really could be, as I haven't managed to see anything about this in past however many days this timer has been running. Although I'm not entirely sure if Richard Garriott is entirely that mentionable anymore.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Mechadestroyer posted:

I'm wondering how important it really could be, as I haven't managed to see anything about this in past however many days this timer has been running. Although I'm not entirely sure if Richard Garriott is entirely that mentionable anymore.

It's been running for at least a week. First news article I can find about it is from the 1st of March, and the first tweet that mentions #LordBritishPresents is from the same date.

For your second point, it could also be argued that InXile weren't really mentionable anymore but they still got nearly 3 million dollars to make Wasteland 2 and were also the fastest ever Kickstarter to reach 1 million in their Torment 2 campaign.

Tufty fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2013 around 15:59

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

Fleets of taxis stall in the fog, passengers fall asleep. Gas pours from a tri-color stack.

Good choice of thread icon, OP.

I wonder how many people actively playing video games these days have even played an Ultima game.

zenintrude
Apr 7, 2008

Oh, a Kickstarter...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...orsaken-virtues

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

Kickstarter for Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues.

404s.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

A little livestream came up, then went blank. There is now a link to this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...orsaken-virtues

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues.

Captain Tolerable
Sep 29, 2010

JUST WIN BABY

Look at this egostroking trailer. Look at it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

Oh boy, heavily viewed YouTube streaming! This never goes poorly!

Monomythian
Sep 3, 2008

I forgot I had this open as a tab with the countdown from yesterday and suddenly people started talking so I guess I'm watching this live!

Captain Tolerable
Sep 29, 2010

JUST WIN BABY

Aww the trailer didn't mention Tabula Rasa.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

Fleets of taxis stall in the fog, passengers fall asleep. Gas pours from a tri-color stack.

Does the Kickstarter link 404 for anyone else?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

That was a pretty darn mediocre 5 seconds of gameplay shown!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Does the Kickstarter link 404 for anyone else?

Yep.

I like that he even dresses vaguely like a rock star.

zenintrude
Apr 7, 2008

Just watch this video of Garriott show off his manchild fort:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM109_EbMcs

Tufty
May 21, 2006

He mentioned strong storytelling like in the numbered Ultima games, but also a strong multiplayer component with a 'persistent world'.

Edit: Link to watch the stream in 720p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6IzK3Iwrc

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

So who's left to do a Kickstarter? Ken and Roberta Williams kickstarting Sierra Online 2? What's David Crane up to these days?

Hakkesshu
Nov 3, 2009

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.

Wow, that looks bad. I'm all for giving Lord British the benefit of the doubt, but there is absolutely nothing appealing about this product so far.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

That trailer for his new game wasn't a trailer for his new game. It was just a list of all of his Ultima games followed by "Shroud of the Avatar". No actual content for the new game.

zenintrude
Apr 7, 2008

What does Rooster Teeth have to do with this?

Captain Tolerable
Sep 29, 2010

JUST WIN BABY

zenintrude posted:

You see Rooster Teeth is known for their Ultima machinima movies.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

zenintrude posted:

They're the only hacks willing to host The Richard Garriot Nostalgia Hour.

I will probably enjoy the inside baseball of the whole thing though.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

They boned the Kickstarter link.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cently_launched

*edit*
It looks a bit poo poo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

"No one has made these kinds of games since I stopped"

...Well, except the Black Isle games, Gothic games, Elder Scrolls games, Divinity games, Witcher games, I guess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The last thing Killstealing sees before his mustache ride.

~*~Straight Balling~*~

Kickstarter works now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

...13K.

Captain Tolerable
Sep 29, 2010

JUST WIN BABY

This is a Richard Garriot self pleasing of the highest order.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Well, at least they give even the $25 pledge level access to alphas/betas, in contrast with other Kickstarters where it's mostly a $100+ reward.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

I love the ultima series and still play some of them occasionally but I really dont think Richard Garriot should be allowed to create any more games, his time has long passed.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

Hahahaha the higher level kickstarter tiers include exclusive in-game MMO rewards to show off to other how much you spent kickstarting the game.

This is either going to be a hilarious failure or hilarious success.

zenintrude
Apr 7, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hahahaha the higher level kickstarter tiers include exclusive in-game MMO rewards to show off to other how much you spent kickstarting the game.

This is either going to be a hilarious failure or hilarious success.

This happens every few years with WoW expansions.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Well at least this guy finally stopped dressing up like a king and ...god dammit, Richard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Almost nothing about the new game that he's pimping. It's just a comfy couch chat about the early days of Ultima, complete with the ziplock bag distribution discussion. Interesting, but no content for the new game. Kickstarter funds earned from Comfy Couch Chat: $20,000.

«16 »