Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ryoji posted:

Back when it came out I played Disgaea - Hour of Darkness a lot and I enjoyed it.

I would like to play more from the series or something similar. However I just have a PC and a PS2.

Is Disgaea 2 for PS2 recommendable or is it too slow?
Which other games with a similar feeling might be of interest?

I think the jump from 1 to 2 is actually pretty noticeable. They got rid of some of the annoying stuff like promotion exams or whatever they were, and added some things to make grinding weapon ranks easier. The felon system is kind of interesting and gives your characters a chance for boosts when they reach certain achievements.

However, if you've tried any of the more modern games in the series, it's going to be a real step down. For what it's worth, Disgaea 2 has a cast that I really like. I don't think they're quite as gimmick obsessed as some of the later games (that might be nostalgia talking though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Disgaea 2 is noticeably faster than the first one, and overall a better game to play. The PS3/Vita games made even bigger leaps forward, but 2 is still a pretty good upgrade from 1, gameplay wise. Go for it if you liked 1, but maybe give 1 a quick once over just to make sure you still enjoy the general gameplay.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Ryoji posted:

However I just have a PC and a PS2.
To be honest, if that's the hardware you have, i'd recommend trying to see if your PC can simulate, so you can use turbo button, save states and have higher resolution.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Re: non-Disgaea games, if you're in the market for other NIS games, I know people like Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

Other than that, it depends on what you liked about Disgaea. Was it the theme? The aesthetic? The level design? The big numbers?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know it has good level design, but I can't imagine people coming to Disgaea purely because of that.

I like Disgaea cause it lets me make my own characters, of one of many classes, and build them up over time by upgrading and enhancing equipment and skills. I also like the cute characters, and some of the uniques have become my favorites (Rozalin, Asagi, Desco and Des X), but I wish they weren't always outright better than the generics - I want good reasons to use my own babies! The music loving rules, and the gameplay is kind of addictive - though I prefer finding better equipment over grinding them up.

It's kind of the same reason I like Etrian Odyssey, actually.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
From my point of view, the main campaign of Disgaea 4, at least, is so long that there's no way I'd stick with it if the actual levels weren't any good. So even if level design isn't the primary attraction, it's what holds everything together.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I know it has good level design, but I can't imagine people coming to Disgaea purely because of that.

I like Disgaea cause it lets me make my own characters, of one of many classes, and build them up over time by upgrading and enhancing equipment and skills.

That's quite right. First of all, I enjoy turn-based tactical roleplaying games (Disgaea, FF Tactics, ...). I also remember that I enjoyed the wacky story of the first game (Midboss, Power Rangers, Flash Gordon-type). It has a nice vibe to it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

D4V postgame question. I just finished going through all the recruitment mini-missions (and their subsequent pirate ship unlocks- the very quick guren lagaan reference got a chuckle out of me). I've seen occasional mentions of what some people considered the best postgame character, or most overpowered one. Are any of them in particular hopelessly game-breaking?

Edit - right now I'm going to start off with beefing up Rozalin because I have genuine nostalgia for D2 and she was my alpha murderer back then, and Gig, because his powers look fantastic.

The real reason for the edit though is that I have another question- if I want to gate out of an item I'm taking the improvement path for in order to periodically save, will that hurt the overall results for the item's progression?

5er fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 22, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In the Vita one, Stella is drat good even if you can start with her. Her evility that reduces everyone's fire resist and the fact that she can drain a huge amount of stats just for standing next to an enemy is really good, and combos amazing well with the next guy:

Axel has a Fist move that is 1 target, SS strength and fire element. And he has an evility that increases his fire move damage. And his default one makes him do more damage to anyone he's attacking one on one.

Combined those guys are pretty crazy.

The issue with Roz is that her evilities all buff outside of battle, so you could just plop her next to someone *in the base* (not in combat!) and get the buffs without having her fight. I keep her next to Axel for the increased stats.

Priere is really good. Her innate evility is to get a second turn if she kills something with a normal attack, but she's a monster so you can magichange her and give that ability to anyone. Good stats too.

Gig is supposed to be really strong both standalone and one of the best magichange swords. I haven't messed with Tyrant Val at all but he's supposed to be the best unit in the game?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Axel has a Fist move that is 1 target, SS strength and fire element. And he has an evility that increases his fire move damage. And his default one makes him do more damage to anyone he's attacking one on one.

Adell*

Unless they changed something about Axel that I didn't notice :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Adell*

Unless they changed something about Axel that I didn't notice :v:

Oops yeah Adell! I keep confusing them. Adell is the red hair punchy guy from the DLC. Use that one.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

New D5 trailer. Nothing super new in it, but apparently it comes out in Japan in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u31fUUS58Dc

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012

Erg posted:

However, if you've tried any of the more modern games in the series, it's going to be a real step down. For what it's worth, Disgaea 2 has a cast that I really like. I don't think they're quite as gimmick obsessed as some of the later games (that might be nostalgia talking though).

Thanks for your recommendations, guys.

I am playing now Disgaea 2 for the PSP. Instantly I get some nice battles and funny characters.

Obviously I am not a veteran of this series. I read briefly some guides online talking about Axel Mode and some Dark World. I don't have any idea about this. I started with the standard mode (Adell). Should I just finish the main story or am I missing something major here?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Finish the main story first, then decide what to do.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Stella has been my alpha unit from the start, before the end-game! I absolutely love her 'just being there gives all enemies on the map a -50% fire debuff' evility. Is there one for ice like that? That'd put Pram on my list.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
My alpha unit has always been a Lady Samurai, and probably always will be.

I know that story and DLC characters are probably actually way better, but I honestly don't care.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

My alpha unit has always been a Lady Samurai, and probably always will be.

I know that story and DLC characters are probably actually way better, but I honestly don't care.

In D3 Vita it was definitely a lady samurai, but the story/DLC characters in D4 seem really, really strong.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If I reincarnate a mage into a bouncer and grab Big Bang, will she be able to cast it as a mage using the magichange mechanic, even though her affinity is not for fist weapons? It's just so unbelievably fast to level someone using that method.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In D3 Vita it was definitely a lady samurai, but the story/DLC characters in D4 seem really, really strong.

The story/DLC characters in D4 are very good, yeah. The thing is, ever since the first Disgaea game, I've more or less prioritized unlocking/using a Lady Samurai over anything else (even though it was mostly unintentional in the first one.)

It's silly, but it's what I do.

Emron posted:

If I reincarnate a mage into a bouncer and grab Big Bang, will she be able to cast it as a mage using the magichange mechanic, even though her affinity is not for fist weapons? It's just so unbelievably fast to level someone using that method.

I haven't really tried with a mage, but considering you can do it with story characters (Valvatorez, for example), I can't see why not.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

5er posted:

Stella has been my alpha unit from the start, before the end-game! I absolutely love her 'just being there gives all enemies on the map a -50% fire debuff' evility. Is there one for ice like that? That'd put Pram on my list.
Isn't that for *all* units though, including your own? This could be very much a double-edged evility (then again so is her primary one).

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Ryoji posted:

Thanks for your recommendations, guys.

I am playing now Disgaea 2 for the PSP. Instantly I get some nice battles and funny characters.

Obviously I am not a veteran of this series. I read briefly some guides online talking about Axel Mode and some Dark World. I don't have any idea about this. I started with the standard mode (Adell). Should I just finish the main story or am I missing something major here?

Finish the main story first IMO. The Dark World is a postgame thing and Axel Mode is an alternate story which requires you to start a new game+. You can use the same generic units in both stories--the Axel levels are balanced under the assumption that you've already finished the main game and can use those generics to help out. I played Disgaea 2 for PS2 before Dark Hero Days, so when I got Dark Hero Days I just started a totally new game in Axel Mode to see how hard it was. I was able to get through it but I spent a lot of time in the item world because the Axel maps ramp up in difficulty quickly.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

CaptainWinky posted:

Finish the main story first IMO. The Dark World is a postgame thing and Axel Mode is an alternate story which requires you to start a new game+. You can use the same generic units in both stories--the Axel levels are balanced under the assumption that you've already finished the main game and can use those generics to help out. I played Disgaea 2 for PS2 before Dark Hero Days, so when I got Dark Hero Days I just started a totally new game in Axel Mode to see how hard it was. I was able to get through it but I spent a lot of time in the item world because the Axel maps ramp up in difficulty quickly.

What was your team/strategy for Axel mode? I'm nearing the end of the DHD campaign and about to start Axel mode when I'm done. My highest level is about 80 but I've relied almost entirely on story characters with no generics, so I feel like Axel mdoe is going to be rough on me. I'm fine with spending a long time in item world though.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Brasseye posted:

What was your team/strategy for Axel mode? I'm nearing the end of the DHD campaign and about to start Axel mode when I'm done. My highest level is about 80 but I've relied almost entirely on story characters with no generics, so I feel like Axel mdoe is going to be rough on me. I'm fine with spending a long time in item world though.

If you beat the main game axel mode will not provide much of a challenge. I actually started with axel mode on my 1st psp run of d2 and used it to start my main game grind buffed a bit (I dont recommend doing this to anyone lol it was terrible I really should have done story mode first)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Malek Deneith posted:

Isn't that for *all* units though, including your own? This could be very much a double-edged evility (then again so is her primary one).

Nothing a little Fire Body evility can't help compensate for, if I get concerned.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emron posted:

Yup! It's the fastest way to get classes you want.

Either A: Make a bouncer and get big bang then reincarnate to a class you want and throw a fist on em, or B: Reincarnate your mage like you said into a bouncer and do exactly what you said.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The question I asked earlier is still sitting... if I'm in Item World specifically to strengthen it, is there any harm or detriment to going back to base every 10 maps, or Gency'ing out if I need to resupply or save? Does the item benefit more if I just stay in it as long as I can stand it?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

5er posted:

The question I asked earlier is still sitting... if I'm in Item World specifically to strengthen it, is there any harm or detriment to going back to base every 10 maps, or Gency'ing out if I need to resupply or save? Does the item benefit more if I just stay in it as long as I can stand it?

Gency'ing out doesn't carry in negative side effects as far as I know

The only thing that effects the item outside of it straight gaining levels are innocents. If you have a gladiator (tamed) and high leveled (if not maxed) the item will get buffed up in the attacking field by a little bit extra, more gladiators = more STR. When you kill a Item King of floor 30, it's advised to Gency out, then hop back in and kill him again as each King you slay increases the innocent population by 1 up to a max of either 8 or 10 (two pages worth)

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

5er posted:

It makes no difference. Although, if you gency out after killing the boss on a tenth level and re-enter, you can kill the boss again for extra bonus. This can also be done on the floor 100 item god, and specifically to D4V you can keep doing it indefinitely, so each Gency you use up is one fewer you'll be able to boost a super-item later.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fabulous information, thank you!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

5er posted:

There is no harm in leaving on 10s or gencying. in fact gencying can be used to buff a item further than normal by killing the x0 floor boss and gencying without clearing it then going back in (the boss respawns and killing it a 2nd time will further boost the item) you can only do this twice per x0 though

edit: YOU CAN DO IT MORE THAN TWICE IN D4V? :wth:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

AkumaHokoru posted:

Enjoy!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

AkumaHokoru posted:

Yeah, but it's actually not really indefinitely like I said. There's a cap to it, I'm not positive but I think each boss kill gives a percentage bonus to every stat based on the boss you killed, item gods giving the biggest, and I think the cap is on the total % that attribute can reach. Or maybe the cap is a flat limit based on item rank, I'm not sure. In any case you want to save them (Gencys) for a high-level item (invincible armor or trapezohedron) ideally.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Smello posted:

Yeah, but it's actually not really indefinitely like I said. There's a cap to it, I'm not positive but I think each boss kill gives a percentage bonus to every stat based on the boss you killed, item gods giving the biggest, and I think the cap is on the total % that attribute can reach. Or maybe the cap is a flat limit based on item rank, I'm not sure. In any case you want to save them (Gencys) for a high-level item (invincible armor or trapezohedron) ideally.

the thing about the cap is you usually get to kill the I(x) 20 times. 2 per floor 100 floors for gold. so maybe the cap is that 20? even so HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AS IF VAL WASNT BROKEN ENOUGH WITH HIS EVILITIES. grind up a poo poo sword and he can solo the game for you (or at least start the power level process WAAAAY before you even sniff the post game)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Where the hell is the toggle for classic/HD sprites in D4V? I can't tell if it's obvious and I'm blind or if it's something you have to unlock.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Smello posted:

The cap is 2.1 million for every stat, which you can in theory reach with any item. You just get to Floor 100, kill the Item God, Gency out, then repeat until capped. The only restrictions to keep in mind is that you can't boost a score that starts out as 0, and if you start with a low-rank item, it'll take a long time. So if you have literally tens of thousands of Gencies and a lot of free time, you can indeed make a Testament that caps everything. That said, people generally go with Invincible Armor because it only takes a couple hundred Gencies to cap and comes with Move and Jump bonuses which other armors don't have.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Dis posted:

Where the hell is the toggle for classic/HD sprites in D4V? I can't tell if it's obvious and I'm blind or if it's something you have to unlock.
Since it comes with hi-res sprites by default there is no such toggle. It was only in the previous versions because it allowed you to choose to apply a blur effect to the sprite textures or not.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Mithaldu posted:

Since it comes with hi-res sprites by default there is no such toggle. It was only in the previous versions because it allowed you to choose to apply a blur effect to the sprite textures or not.

So it's something they dropped in the conversion from the original? I wouldn't have even known about it except I was looking at a trophy list. It's listed at "Viva Sprites!" on this page. I have extremely limited knowledge of the way these things work, but I guess I could see why they'd lose it if it took up a lot of space to offer the option.

e: I love the hi-res sprites anyway, it just irked me that I couldn't figure out how you'd earn that trophy if you wanted to.

burial fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 23, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dis posted:

So it's something they dropped in the conversion from the original? I wouldn't have even known about it except I was looking at a trophy list. It's listed at "Viva Sprites!" on this page. I have extremely limited knowledge of the way these things work, but I guess I could see why they'd lose it if it took up a lot of space to offer the option.

e: I love the hi-res sprites anyway, it just irked me that I couldn't figure out how you'd earn that trophy if you wanted to.

Look closer that's for the original release, here's what you want:
http://www.truetrophies.com/Disgaea-4-A-Promise-Revisited/trophies.htm

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Dis posted:

I have extremely limited knowledge of the way these things work, but I guess I could see why they'd lose it if it took up a lot of space to offer the option.
Basically: The sprites are images. The images were meant for screens with low resolutions, where they looked fine. Put the same images on a high-resolution screen and they look super-jaggy and blocky. Since they couldn't afford to actually add new sprites for the older games they added a filter to blur the sprites, instead of having them be blocky. They didn't have two sets of sprites or anything, it's the same images. Only you got to choose whether they were blurred or not on your bigger screen.

As for the trophy: Later in the game you get cameo characters from older games which don't have hi-res sprites, maybe it's related to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Look closer that's for the original release, here's what you want:
http://www.truetrophies.com/Disgaea-4-A-Promise-Revisited/trophies.htm

Aha! So I imagine it IS something they dropped then. Thanks for the link.

• Locked thread