Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

projecthalaxy posted:

So going back to D4 Vita, I have a question about Flonzor X parts. Most of the guides talk about gathering P Flonzor X parts. I just noticed that the three parts I have are 2 G Flonzor X parts and one U Flonzor X part. The guides and wikis seem split on this, so I'll ask here: will those work, or are they additional red herrings to keep me out of the Land of Carnage?

Those don't work, you have to have X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Those don't work, you have to have X

Hahaha :shepicide:

This game, man.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm just annoyed it's on PS4, can't justify the expense of one yet.

Its ridiculous. Everything about disgaea is so basic theres really no justification for it being ps4 only. On the bright side by the time I get one there will probably be 2 new entries in the series to play.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Did they say it's never coming to portable though?

Because, as you say, everything about the entire series is really basic. I very much doubt they changed much in their code, besides porting it to work on PS4 and adding a couple new features, which wouldn't suddenly make it unplayable on a vita.

Then again, who knows. Sometimes game devs are weird, and we'll just have to wait for vita 2. :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Truga posted:

Did they say it's never coming to portable though?

Because, as you say, everything about the entire series is really basic. I very much doubt they changed much in their code, besides porting it to work on PS4 and adding a couple new features, which wouldn't suddenly make it unplayable on a vita.

Then again, who knows. Sometimes game devs are weird, and we'll just have to wait for vita 2. :v:

This one won't run on the vita unless they horribly strip it down. D4V already CHUGS during certain situations- a game with hundreds of units would just hardcrash the poor thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This one won't run on the vita unless they horribly strip it down. D4V already CHUGS during certain situations- a game with hundreds of units would just hardcrash the poor thing.

Oh. I haven't gotten to D4 yet, didn't know that. That kinda sucks :<

I guess I'll have to wait for vita 2 then.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I really, really doubt we'll ever see another handheld out of Sony. Itd be a shame if they dont develop in a way condusive to portable consoles, but yeah, D4V is a choppy mess at times already.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

This game, man.

...wait...there are 3 sets of parts now?

did you get the flonne gift ship?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

AkumaHokoru posted:

...wait...there are 3 sets of parts now?

did you get the flonne gift ship?

I did, but this is a separate deal. These are the Flonzor X parts you need to steal from various classes via the discipline system to unlock the Land of Carnage. And yeah, there are three sets of them, all on the same spawn lists, (a Professor will reveal either a G, U, or P Flonzor X Head, among many other treasures, for example) and apparently the G and U Flonzor X parts are only there to trick you.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

projecthalaxy posted:

This game, man.

I only just managed to crack into x-dimension levels, and only just scored a PPS (it took about ten nekomatas from the first x-dimension level- at 20 stars they weigh in at lv 3040). There is so much stuff left to do, it's great! This game will probably keep my winter public transit commutes well entertained.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Could someone give me a quick primer on what base stats actually do? I just started playing Disgaea 4 and I realized that, despite having beat 1, 2, and Makai Kingdom, I really have no idea (beyond more = better). Is it an exponential increase on how much that character's stat increases as they level up? I assume it has to be since, well, adding 1-10 points to someone upon rebirth is hardly impressive when your stats are 100,000+.

The thing that really got me asking was the Gargoyle's Gimmick Body evility, since getting that huge boost to Aptitude seems impressive but I have no idea how much base stats actually matter.

e: Also is there a way to make an Eryngi good? They're adorable and I've loved them since La Pucielle but their stats just seem really awful.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 23, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Countblanc posted:

Could someone give me a quick primer on what base stats actually do? I just started playing Disgaea 4 and I realized that, despite having beat 1, 2, and Makai Kingdom, I really have no idea (beyond more = better). Is it an exponential increase on how much that character's stat increases as they level up? I assume it has to be since, well, adding 1-10 points to someone upon rebirth is hardly impressive when your stats are 100,000+.

The thing that really got me asking was the Gargoyle's Gimmick Body evility, since getting that huge boost to Aptitude seems impressive but I have no idea how much base stats actually matter.

e: Also is there a way to make an Eryngi good? They're adorable and I've loved them since La Pucielle but their stats just seem really awful.

IIRC characters gain approx 50% of their base stats per level. In the early to mid game it can be significant, but in the post game it's all about maxing out your items with the Item World and raising aptitudes with the Chara World. Once you get the Puppy Paw Stick and Trapezohedrons it's all over and you will never have to worry about base stat distribution again.

As for Eryngi, their main utility is inflicting status ailments, or to be used for a Magichange weapon. They Magichange into an Axe and one of the Magichange skills is S-rank in damage, so it can be fairly strong.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Brasseye posted:

Its ridiculous. Everything about disgaea is so basic theres really no justification for it being ps4 only. On the bright side by the time I get one there will probably be 2 new entries in the series to play.

Basic graphically has nothing to do with processing power. From what I've gathered NIS basically took all the CPU power the PS4 had into crunching insane amounts of numbers at once to make the game. Disgaea is a much better game when you understand how much pure math is going on in the background from everything. Its amazing from a programming and mathematical stand point. Sure they could probably simplify many of the formulas and get very similar results and make it available on other consoles.

One thing that I read (and its a translated quote so gently caress if I know if its true) they are making a ton of enemies on screen at once, they made sure it was enough that it could never run on PS3 to justify it being a PS4 game. I want something that brings the PS4 to its knees, not graphically, we wont get the best preforance graphically out of the PS4 for several years while people figure the ins and outs of it. But pure math is kind of hard to squeeze more out of a system without making the equations simpler. You can almost always tax any processor by doing enough math. Hell just have something calculate the exact figure of pi if you want to completely tax a core on any processor created until the end of time (or pi is found to be a rational number).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Neurion posted:

IIRC characters gain approx 50% of their base stats per level. In the early to mid game it can be significant, but in the post game it's all about maxing out your items with the Item World and raising aptitudes with the Chara World. Once you get the Puppy Paw Stick and Trapezohedrons it's all over and you will never have to worry about base stat distribution again.

As for Eryngi, their main utility is inflicting status ailments, or to be used for a Magichange weapon. They Magichange into an Axe and one of the Magichange skills is S-rank in damage, so it can be fairly strong.

Alright, cool. Are status effects actually worth a drat in this game? They always felt pretty underwhelming short of really early game stuff like paralyzing a unit before everything has moves that hit weird ranges.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Poison is % damage if I remember correctly, it can hit pretty hard.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Oh gently caress that, sure there's lots of complicated formulas in Disgaea but most of these should run exactly once and then cache their results until they need to be recalculated due to level up or equipment change or whatever. The only way you can bring a console to its knees with "pure math" for stats and attacks and whatever going on in Disgaea is if it actually recalculated all of it every frame or something, which would be insanely dumb.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

pixaal posted:

Basic graphically has nothing to do with processing power. From what I've gathered NIS basically took all the CPU power the PS4 had into crunching insane amounts of numbers at once to make the game. Disgaea is a much better game when you understand how much pure math is going on in the background from everything. Its amazing from a programming and mathematical stand point. Sure they could probably simplify many of the formulas and get very similar results and make it available on other consoles.

Calculating pi is only "taxing" because it doesn't have a finite decimal representation, which is presumably what calculation you're referring to - so it can go on forever.

The kind of arithmetic involved in calculating the damage in Disgaea games is insanely trivial for a PS4, PS3, PS2 and so on

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Both of you are right that he's wrong about the math. Yet he's also right that it's about math. Just not the gameplay math.

Here's the real issue: Tons of animated and alpha-blended transparent sprites.

2D sprites are easy. Animated sprites are a little harder since you now need texture memory for every sprite multiplied by how many frames the animations have. Transparent sprites are a little harder if you only use 0/1 stippling like Minecraft does for trees. Transparent sprites with soft alpha blending are gently caress-off hard since you have to sort them into the right order on CPU for each frame before rendering them. (Though maybe some of this can be offloaded to GPU with modern APIs, either way, it's still really hard.) And obviously the processing power required for sorting the sprites exponentiates when you add more sprites.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, I absolutely love sprites in my games, but unlike 3d models where you can just spawn a 1000 warriors and nobody cares becase each warrior is only 3000 polygons from top down, sprites will bog any machine down due to the use of transparency for blending.

I don't see what's the point of putting 100s of dudes on the battlefield in disgaea though, unless they intend to increase aoe sizes. Then again, a lot of the skill effects have a tactical nuke kind of graphical effect already, maybe they decided it's time to apply the same to effectiveness? I wouldn't necessarily dislike that, though it would make the game quite a bit different.

And yeah, all the "combat math" that's going on in disgaea could be calculated for every single frame if you wanted, and it still wouldn't even slow down a PS2. Unsurprisingly, computers are really fast with basic math.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Alright, cool. Are status effects actually worth a drat in this game? They always felt pretty underwhelming short of really early game stuff like paralyzing a unit before everything has moves that hit weird ranges.

Nope. It's not that status ailments are bad, but the hit rates in Disgaea 4 for the spells are pretty abysmal, which means you're better off dealing damage like most RPGs.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The only statuses I've ever really relied on is Sleep to prevent an enemy from wrecking my poo poo for a few turns (if I can't get over and Lift them) and Poison to deal with really distant enemies I don't want to try and reach, the latter being cast by the Sorcerer class' Curse Storm.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Can somebody else with D4V confirm (or, ideally, deny and explain) that HD Asagi's innate evility Bullet Set doesn't account grant a second attack? She's got a gun, and after the first attack, well, that's it. I tried, and failed, to figure out why it wasn't working.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Never mind this is a pointless discussuion

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 25, 2014

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dis posted:

Can somebody else with D4V confirm (or, ideally, deny and explain) that HD Asagi's innate evility Bullet Set doesn't account grant a second attack? She's got a gun, and after the first attack, well, that's it. I tried, and failed, to figure out why it wasn't working.

it doesnt grant a 2nd attack but if you use a means to give her a 2nd attack (or 2 counters) as long as its the 2nd time she attacked in that turn it will proc
Dual magichange also works for a 2nd attack. the nurse has a move that gives you a second move for a char who went this turn and prier's innate evility as a magichange weapon grants a extra turn if you kill with a normal attack

burial
Sep 13, 2002

AkumaHokoru posted:

it doesnt grant a 2nd attack but if you use a means to give her a 2nd attack (or 2 counters) as long as its the 2nd time she attacked in that turn it will proc
Dual magichange also works for a 2nd attack. the nurse has a move that gives you a second move for a char who went this turn and prier's innate evility as a magichange weapon grants a extra turn if you kill with a normal attack

So... it gives you a third attack if you've already attacked twice? I'm so confused. The description is clearly awful.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dis posted:

So... it gives you a third attack if you've already attacked twice? I'm so confused. The description is clearly awful.

Its like this.

Val attacks a enemy then asagi attacks the enemy because asagi is not the one starting the attack she has a chance to repeat her attack. if you can give her multiple actions she has even more chances to repeat her attack. as long as she didnt hit it first

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mithaldu posted:

Both of you are right that he's wrong about the math. Yet he's also right that it's about math. Just not the gameplay math.

2D sprites are easy. Animated sprites are a little harder since you now need texture memory for every sprite multiplied by how many frames the animations have. Transparent sprites are a little harder if you only use 0/1 stippling like Minecraft does for trees. Transparent sprites with soft alpha blending are gently caress-off hard since you have to sort them into the right order on CPU for each frame before rendering them. (Though maybe some of this can be offloaded to GPU with modern APIs, either way, it's still really hard.) And obviously the processing power required for sorting the sprites exponentiates when you add more sprites.

I've been playing D4 vita and oddly the thing that makes it start to chug isn't usually too many characters on the screen, but instead when there's a poo poo ton of geo panel poo poo going on all over the place. Turning off the glowing squares helps a bunch for some reason.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

AkumaHokoru posted:

Its like this.

Val attacks a enemy then asagi attacks the enemy because asagi is not the one starting the attack she has a chance to repeat her attack. if you can give her multiple actions she has even more chances to repeat her attack. as long as she didnt hit it first

Thanks for the clarification! I'll give that a shot.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

AkumaHokoru posted:

Its like this.

I wonder how apeshit she goes if she's on the heart cannon...

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

XboxPants posted:

I've been playing D4 vita and oddly the thing that makes it start to chug isn't usually too many characters on the screen, but instead when there's a poo poo ton of geo panel poo poo going on all over the place. Turning off the glowing squares helps a bunch for some reason.

That has two reasons:

1. transparency - i'm pretty sure the geo panels are rendered by putting two colored transparend blended polygons (aka a sprite) over them
2. dynamicness - this is less easy to cache since geo panels can change a lot, wouldn't surprise me if they just render them one by one all the time

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

5er posted:

I wonder how apeshit she goes if she's on the heart cannon...

She literally should be a machine gun.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

AkumaHokoru posted:

She literally should be a machine gun.

Well then! Off to the reincarnation / chara world grind to put her on my a-team.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Aaaand with that last item collected and prinny thrown, I have finally got Platinum for Disgaea 4 Vita :dance:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Neurion posted:

Aaaand with that last item collected and prinny thrown, I have finally got Platinum for Disgaea 4 Vita :dance:

How calloused are your fingers?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So I have gotten to the point in Disgaea D2 where thanks to CoO6 on LoC mode, I can get any monster class to 9999 in about half an hour by plopping my 9999 caster on their back and having him one shot both groups of enemies. That's great and all, but there's not a way to reverse that is there? I mean I have Raspberyl and a Succubus caster who can both also one shot the map, but can I use them in some way I'm not seeing to speed level humanoid units or do I have to do the same workflow I did with my skull of slowly moving from 6-1 to CoO6 to LoC-CoO6 again for every humanoid unit.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Could you theoretically transmigrate from a monster class to Prinny to humanoid unit or was only for the first Disgaea? And that would only help for rapidly increasing stored levels rather than their actual level. Hm.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Could you theoretically transmigrate from a monster class to Prinny to humanoid unit or was only for the first Disgaea? And that would only help for rapidly increasing stored levels rather than their actual level. Hm.

I could, and probably will do that after I get a few thousand stored levels on some of my monsters, but was wondering if I was missing something obvious like a Demon Training Program that let you leech XP a la D3 and D4.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I thought I had read that in Item World, you could go right up to the last level, kill Item God 2, gency out, go back into the item, kill IG2 again and gency again to cheese some more levels. I just tried that now (D4 Vita) and I didn't get anything for it. I guess that doesn't work then. Is it because it's a Rank 40 item?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

5er posted:

I thought I had read that in Item World, you could go right up to the last level, kill Item God 2, gency out, go back into the item, kill IG2 again and gency again to cheese some more levels. I just tried that now (D4 Vita) and I didn't get anything for it. I guess that doesn't work then. Is it because it's a Rank 40 item?

It doesn't raise the item's level, but it does boost the item's stats up to a certain point. Once you hit that point you can just clear the item and get any of the last levels you need from Reverse Pirating to finish maxing the item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Neurion posted:

It doesn't raise the item's level, but it does boost the item's stats up to a certain point. Once you hit that point you can just clear the item and get any of the last levels you need from Reverse Pirating to finish maxing the item.

Ohh. Alright. All it took was one reverse pirate trip to knock out 300 on my fresh Makai Wars :v: Time for some PPS dupe-grinding for my 4-character a-list team.

• Locked thread