Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ZHP is getting a sequel? Any news on whether it's less grindy bullshit than the original? I tried to get into the postgame for it, but it was just wayyyyy too much of a slog. Will this one be better? What's it like, anyway?

And god dammit now I want to play DD2. PS3 why :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got a Disgaea itch to scratch, and I've just about given up on Dark Hero Days now that I'm expected to go through the Item World a billion loving times for felonies. I'm considering picking up one of the Vita games, is there a difference between the two besides the Cheat Shop and that D4 comes after D3? I think I heard something about D3 having a better story, and D4 having better gameplay.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Playing the D4V demo right now, and I think I might just get the full game. Thanks for the rec! The Cheat Shop looks especially kickass.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

D4 kinda seems like it doesn't want me to make a small, focused core team of 10 and instead make enough to fill out the entire campaign board. Does that make sense? Or can I still do my old small team approach?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been considering just having my old small team around, and reincarnating them when I want a different kind of character. Or should I make one of each character type instead? Cause then I'd have to bring everyone up to level 999999999999 again and gently caress that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm right up to what I assume is 2 or 3 maps away from the end of the Final Episode, maxed out the Customer Rank and everything. I'm still at a loss regarding the Evil Symbols. I don't know if I want to overlap as many Areas as I can, spread them out as much as I can, focus on overlapping L panels, whether certain characters need to be in certain arrangements in certain symbols, whether the Shoe Lab is ever worth using...it's complicated as gently caress.

For example, I decided to make the leader symbols for the Mana Pyramid and the Training Grounds overlap, so that the unit that fucks up the most enemies manages to distribute as much extra Mana and EXP as possible. That seems like a sensible setup, but I can't quite figure anything out for the other symbols. I also don't know how you're supposed to get everyone where you want them AND have them be next to people they commonly fight against...

Any tips in this regard? Does the size of your army/number of deputies matter? More people = more areas filled? Is it ever helpful to have a large amount of units, anyway? Cause I've had a lot more success with a smaller group, just as I expected. But I also want to unlock all of the class intro movies cause they're funny :downs:

Edit: Oh yeah, and does the square you're on ever matter? With how they match up to story maps and everything? Cause they don't seem to do anything outside of Rosen Queen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I kinda liked ZHP for that reason. It was interesting, even if it was grindy as gently caress. Sad to see that NIS hasn't been doing much recently aside from Disgaea.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CaptainWinky posted:

It's better to focus on beefing up a small group than trying to keep everybody the same level. Once you have at least one character (probably Val) who is a lot stronger than the others in the main group, you can have him use tower attacks with a weaker character to share experience and help them catch up. Also you can use the Evil Symbols to share mana and exp. It's nice just for unlocking the top tiers of classes you don't really feel like using. In every Disgaea game I make at least one of every character class but only focus on a handful of them.

Rosen Queen is the only evil symbol where location matters. It's been a while since I played 4 but I believe you have to finish the main story and put it on one of those final episode squares in order to get the best possible items from the shop.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna make enough to unlock all the classes, then send the lower ones to the support group while focusing on my core group and the uniques. I just wanna unlock everything man :saddowns:

And do the dark areas ever get filled out? I noticed there's this little L-shaped patch way in the corner, and I'm wondering what the hell's up with that. (Actually, now that I think about it...that's probably Mt. Ordeal, isn't it?)

King of Solomon posted:

Do you have a level 30+ Heavy Knight? This is assuming you do mean Bio-Suit and not Android, which requires NG+.

I found out about the Android the hard way - I started an NG+ without realizing that's what the NPC did. I wasn't done :( thank god for saves.

Is there an NPC/help section that details what opens up in the post-game? I noticed some Fuuka/Desco stuff, and something about time travel?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

poo poo, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just start up NG+ right now. :gonk: What unlocks in NG+?

edit: also, mt. ordeal stage 3 can go to hell

vvv That's it? I do want all the classes, though...

Also, once you're in the post game, what's the best way of getting nicer equipment? I never managed to figure out how to go higher up in the equipment rank tree...i know there's higher level stuff around, but I don't know how to get it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 31, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That helps a lot, actually! I have a couple questions about the post-game (spoilered):

Let's say that all my characters are equipped with only the highest ranked equipment from the Rosen Queen vendors. Eventually, I decide that I want even better equipment. How would I find better equipment than the shops'? I can find treasure chests in the Item World, but as far as I can tell those are only ever the same rank as the item you've dived into. You could also possibly get them from post-game maps like Mt. Ordeal 1-2, the Axel/Flonne recruitment events, or Fuuka and Desco's extra scenarios, but I haven't come across any items that are massively better than the store equipment (in the case of weaponry, mainly). Also, is it possible that the Rosen Queen symbol is necessary for higher level specialty equipment?

Does the game itself give you any clues to finding all the different endings? I don't wanna look up how to do them since the ending names themselves tend to spoil them, but if the game gives me clues, that'd help a lot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So if I'm not at the Land of Carnage yet, should I just be Item World diving into my equipment a lot, then?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How would I steal a piece of equipment from an enemy if I'm deep enough in the item world to have found enemies around my level, though? I thought it was practically impossible if the enemy is higher level than your thief?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no idea if I'm gonna max EVERYTHING out, at least, I don't know how much farther I'm gonna go after doing all the optional content. Item sperging will depend on if I need it to beat Baal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I noticed that Desco's fusion version of Yog doesn't cover all the enemies in MO-4. :smith: Apparently, I need Big Bang on a fist user to make it as simple as possible, but running around capturing Nekomatas is kind of a pain in the rear end. I was wondering if there are any other good choices for wiping the whole map at once?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's not a bad idea, actually. I'll figure it out. For now, I'm still using Desco - what do you do once you hit ~1000 and she starts taking a little longer to level up? Crank up the enemy strength, or is it the time to find Statisticians/whatever?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Which means Item World diving --> getting chances to Reverse Pirate --> capturing Statisticians during pirating, right? Guess I'm going back into my Death Gauntlet :downs:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do statisticians only show up in certain items or do I just need to reload over and over for a shot at getting one?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck: God drat, that deep? Well, I guess I can't complain if I only ever need to get one Statistician that I can dupe...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Seraphine is apparently voiced by Sarah Emi Bridcutt.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

On the one hand, I love having a small team to work with, cause that makes it so much easier to make an effective team. On the other, there's just so many characters I want to use :(

By the way, I may have asked this before, but: is there any particular rule for optimizing Evil Symbol placement? Like, trying to make all the squares overlap, and maximize as much stat boosts as possible? Or is that just flat out impossible? I'm assuming about 5-10 characters covered by the symbols in all.

edit: Not having played DD2, I completely forgot that male healers existed and I've never seen the redesign before. I totally didn't recognize them. :pwn:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I heard there was a way to make the Item World stages smaller. Is that something that unlocks later?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, I got a statistician. It was from a Mr. Gency, though, so it's pretty low level (8). How do I level up an innocent?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can the stick be gotten off of any Nekomata or does the level/tier matter?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Heart Cannon must be placed, any member of it will do a normal attack on a unit within their range if a friend attacks it

Let's say Fenrich is in the HC aura, in a level Fenrich is standing next to a enemy warrior- Val, a prinny and Fuka all attack the unit with whatever, this'll cause Fenrich to hit the warrior 3 times just by being there (but on the flipside he may be countered 3 times)

Oh poo poo, I though it just worked for the people in the HC area, not with anyone. I gotta go reorganize :v:

Smello posted:

I think we need to be more careful pointing out which game we're talking about. This option is in the cheat shop in DD2, but not in D4V. Keep in mind it actually makes more monsters appear, and makes it more likely to get a crowded exit area with no way to punch the guardian off it.

Aw :saddowns: but I actually got to level 100 on a Mr. Gency last night, so it's not all bad.

quote:

I believe the Neko has to be at least level 1000, or at least that's what I've read.

Hooray. \:goleft:/ Guess I'll be grinding Valvatorez up. That, and a Bouncer...I'd like to put Big Bang on just anybody, though. I wish we weren't stuck to weapon-specific skills though, I don't have many fist users.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

King of Solomon posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I left the item world to save a half hour ago. I'd be royally pissed off if I lost a few hours' progress to the game crashing (which just happened.)

Yup. That's a thing. It's related to some of the English voice clips. I've had it set to Japanese the entire time and I haven't had any problems.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god, how many pirate ship parts do Nekomatas have?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finally got it. Complaining on the internet really does work!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a way to duplicate monster weapons? Since the Bio-Suit can't equip them, you can't use the PPS trick to get copies of them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does Emizel just not learn higher tier magic? His skills stopped at Omega level for me. And how come my Thief can't learn Dark Filament?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh yeah, is there something I get from reincarnating my uniques? I never did it in previous games cause they never had to "promote", and it felt especially pointless now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Huh. I should probably do that, eventually. And Emizel is at level 9999 - he still only has the Omega level spells, max. (Is he even worth using?)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

X-Shard of Regret is loving destroying me. I need enough MV to get to the end, AND I need one of those characters to throw 7 panels long. :negative: I don't think there's items that boost throw like there are shoes, right?

edit: Fuckin' got it. Eugh.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 11, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm way in the post game and I just unlocked Des X. :getin: I forgive all the bullshit this game has given me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I noticed that some of my characters get 10 extra points upon reincarnating, while others get something like 56 extra points. How do I increase that number?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well drat I haven't unlocked androids but Adell is like my highest level.

I just don't want to go through all of the X-Dimension again. God drat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any way to increase your chances of finding pirates in the Item World? I can't seem to get many pirates to spawn at all, let alone the Meowkins. I could have sworn that when I first started diving in, I constantly had pirates thrown at me, but so far, almost nothing. I wait until the end of turn 2, and if no pirates show up by then, I skip the floor. Supposedly pirates won't spawn if an event area, mystery gate, or level sphere spawn, so I've been skipping those floors.

And yes, I'm on floor 21-39.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Little further down the road from that point: what's my next move once I hit LoC? My equipment is getting pretty outdated, but enemies have way too high stats for me to take advantage of bonus stuff/I generically don't understand how to get higher ranked equipment.

Also, is this the point where the Chara World starts becoming really important? And do I really need to reincarnate over and over for each character I like using? I figured out a system so that it's not so bad, but I'm still not sure how to get those numbers even higher.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So aside from reincarnating over and over, what's the trick to getting high stats? Duping innocents? Higher ranked items? Leveling up legendaries?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, wait. How much of that can I do before beating Zetta? I'm currently stuck on him in the post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hm. Well, I managed to beat Zetta - the second Pringer X fight is right where I think I need to start doing all of that. I did get Yoshitsuna and Makai Wars, so I guess I'll be duping/IWing those.

Also, is there somewhere I can get saves for D3V? Or do I need to have actually bought the game for the save data to work?

• Locked thread