Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
My main was a blademaster, and every time I'd finish a mission, I would come back to the Tower of Trial and see if I could succeed. I think I only did so when I got enough area of effect powers, particularly ones that stun enemies, and a charging leap power so I could take out the shamans on the first floor quickly. Quaffing the potions I'd been saving up sure didn't hurt. I found the first floor more challenging than the following floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Last and least - who should I take where so as not to miss any personal quests?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

Don't worry about missing them. The game signposts the personal quests pretty heavily, and I'm pretty sure they're all available right until the end.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Xander77 posted:

Also, is there a trick to stealing some items within view of a stationary NPC, or are they just there to taunt me? There's a locked room in the furniture makers house - most of the time opportunities to lockpick pay for themselves, but her husband just refuses to move around enough to let me steal their stuff.

Can't you close doors in Avadon? I seem to recall shutting out an overzealously patrolling shopkeeper from his store that way, but it could have been another game.

The best unintended steal mechanic was definitely in the early Geneforge games, where you can't steal directly with your Shaper but you can with your creations. The idea of a train of fyoras cleaning out a store from under the shopkeeper's nose makes me laugh.

Second best was in Exile where you could push boxes of stuff across tiles. Petulantly kicking a crate of weapons out of a store to some discreet and unseen corner of the town so you could loot in peace was also funny, especially when you'd accidentally kick it into a river or something and lose it all.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

moot the hopple posted:

Second best was in Exile where you could push boxes of stuff across tiles. Petulantly kicking a crate of weapons out of a store to some discreet and unseen corner of the town so you could loot in peace was also funny, especially when you'd accidentally kick it into a river or something and lose it all.

Webs also obscured vision if there were multiple ones in the viewer's line of sight, so you could sometimes blanket the inside of a store in web spells and rob it that way. If you didn't have enough space to use webs, you could use fire/force barriers instead once you had access to those spells.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 23, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Xander77 posted:

If you're going through Avadon 2, make sure to take a hard stance politically, more than anything else. Don't pussy-foot around the issue or some poo poo. Either go hard Redbeard loyalist, hard Avadon loyalist, or hard rebel. If you waffle about like I did with some 'maybe the truth is in the middle' bullshit you can't get access to any of the cool endings.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

occipitallobe posted:

If you're going through Avadon 2, make sure to take a hard stance politically, more than anything else. Don't pussy-foot around the issue or some poo poo. Either go hard Redbeard loyalist, hard Avadon loyalist, or hard rebel. If you waffle about like I did with some 'maybe the truth is in the middle' bullshit you can't get access to any of the cool endings.

Note that the Avadon games don't really have a game-wide reputation meter like Geneforge does and there are relatively few situations where supporting Avadon and supporting the rebellion are mutually exclusive, so for the most part you can actually keep all your options open by actively playing both sides and telling everyone what they want to hear. If you complete all sidequests, keep Heart Protus as happy with you as possible, side with the rebels during Commander Odil's mission, and express interest in joining the rebellion when you meet Dheless, you should be in a position to choose between the best possible version of all three endings once you get to the endgame.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 23, 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just finished Geneforge 5 yesterday and I really quite enjoyed it. I'd played through 1 and 2 with a caster Agent and never really much liked shaping but in 5 it was fun and effective. I'd love to see the mechanic come back in some form or another in a modern Spiderweb game.

In terms of the series I would tend to put 5 squarely in the middle, above 3 and 4 but below 1 and 2. It does stand alone nicely although there are lots of references and recurring characters for those familiar with the prequels.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh. I already taunted Protus with his papers and then handed them over to the custodes of the custodians.

The game already hinted that during companion quests I should go with whatever anti-Avadon stance they are taking or lose their loyalty.

In Monitor Base D, how do I open the gate to the big bad demon once Miranda escapes? He said he's waiting to battle me, but I can't seem to find a way to get there.

Edit - Turns out that sentries can own stuff and prevent me from stealing it. Huh.

Also, even though I've already explored a location (abandoned tinkershop) the relevant quest still forces me to trek back and forth just so I can "get stuck" properly, with the quest running. Hmm.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 23, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xander77 posted:

Also, even though I've already explored a location (abandoned tinkershop) the relevant quest still forces me to trek back and forth just so I can "get stuck" properly, with the quest running. Hmm.
Welcome to Spiderweb. :v:

(In fairness, that's actually pretty awful even by Spiderweb standards)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Any cheats that give you infinite lockpicks? (Of all the things to limit in absolute number and never have the merchants inventory refresh...)

If there's one improvement I wanted from part 1 (beyond the obvious "same button opens and closes shortcut menus) it's having a confirmation if you try to use a consumable outside battles. Because "a click on the item picks it, a click on the lower part of the item consumes it" is just asking for wasted potions etc.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 24, 2014

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Some rooms asked for unreasonable amounts of lockpicks, so I skipped them. As a result I never ran out of toolpicks, though I did have to make sure I had a character with me with the appropriate skill. Make sure to pick up the toolpicks lying around, such as in abandoned workshops and the like.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I never lockpicked if it cost more than 2 at a time, bought and picked up every lockpick that came my way - and still find myself terribly short.

(There's a particular lock in the corruption that I'm curious about, which asks for a dumbfounding number of lockpicks).

Where do I find the escaped Duke Griffin for the Raptors? I think I tracked through every square inch of Tywon trying to find him.

Also, how do I get into the tunnels below the Avadon base in Tywon?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 24, 2014

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Xander77 posted:

I never lockpicked if it cost more than 2 at a time, bought and picked up every lockpick that came my way - and still find myself terribly short.

Two is too many. Any more than one is the game's way of telling you to raise your lockpicking skills.

(I'd have more answers for your questions, but I'm still going through Avadon 1 at the moment.)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Where do I find the escaped Duke Griffin for the Raptors? I think I tracked through every square inch of Tywon trying to find him.

He's in the southwestern part of the Rockfall Canyon area. It's only possible to find him after getting information about him from Iania in Serdica.

quote:

Also, how do I get into the tunnels below the Avadon base in Tywon?

Keep advancing the plot. You'll go there as part of the endgame quest line, and no sooner. Before that, it's possible to get a look into them via a secret passage on the north side, which suffices for the sidequest where you have to find out what's going on in there.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Thuryl posted:

Keep advancing the plot. You'll go there as part of the endgame quest line, and no sooner. Before that, it's possible to get a look into them via a secret passage on the north side, which suffices for the sidequest where you have to find out what's going on in there.
Got there in at the endgame, though I couldn't find the secret passage.

I reloaded a few times to get the different endings (becoming a traitor Keeper really should have been given an entirely different text, as the unaltered scraps really clash with what was changed) and became an Eye and Heart in the process - yet I don't have the relevant medals. (Edit - Oh, it's about difficulty modes. Duh.)

What am I missing from the Nicodemus crafting items? (the necklace was crafted, it's just on a party member)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=291292632

I only found six drake skins, and one was past the point of no return. So I guess there was no way to actually finish the quest. Ditto the arcane scrolls / pact papers quests?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 25, 2014

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I reloaded a few times to get the different endings (becoming a traitor Keeper really should have been given an entirely different text, as the unaltered scraps really clash with what was changed) and became an Eye and Heart in the process - yet I don't have the relevant medals.

The Hand/Eye/Heart of Avadon medals are based on what difficulty you play through the game, normal/hard/torment.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Cross posting from the iOS games thread:

Avadon 2: The Corruption on sale for $5 (50% off) for the first time. Spiderweb Software titles rarely drop any further and sales are relatively rare, so now's as good a time as any.

I'm playing through the first right now on iPad, and I much prefer it that way compared to desktop/laptop.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

The Hand/Eye/Heart of Avadon medals are based on what difficulty you play through the game, normal/hard/torment.
Damnit. if you waited for literally two minutes...

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm playing through the first right now on iPad, and I much prefer it that way compared to desktop/laptop.
?

What are the chances of Avadon 3 completing the trilogy in the foreseeable future?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Next is his remake of Avernum 2 and then it's Avadon 3. Gonna be a while.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Xander77 posted:

?

What are the chances of Avadon 3 completing the trilogy in the foreseeable future?
Firstly I just meant that the UX of playing Avadon on iOS is very nice. I bought Avernum and Avernum 6 (and Avadon 2) based on the strength of it.

For your second question, although the creator likes money, despite his cautions of slowing down in his old age, I'd say chances are good. He did make 6 Avernums and 5 Geneforges after all.

Dug your SR Returns UGC reviews btw.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Xander77 posted:

What am I missing from the Nicodemus crafting items? (the necklace was crafted, it's just on a party member)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=291292632

Here's the full list of the materials needed for Nicodemus' items, what they make and where they are:

-- oak pitch - Coated Oak Shield - The Trapped Lair
-- sapphire powder - Chalice of Ice - Monitor Base D
-- powdered demon horn - Chalice of Fire - Ogre's Thicket
-- infernal larva - Amber-Encased Larva - Temple of Aetius
-- dragon's fang - Dragonfang Baton - Stagnant Waters
-- enchanted nugget - Infused Golden Braid - Konstina's Lair
-- gold powder - Orb of Puresight - Temple of Valera
-- meteor iron - Infused Meteor - Corruption Core

quote:

I only found six drake skins, and one was past the point of no return. So I guess there was no way to actually finish the quest. Ditto the arcane scrolls / pact papers quests?

There are a total of eight drake skins in the game; getting some of them involves choosing to kill drakes that you could otherwise have dealt with peacefully. They're all listed (along with further details on where to find the crafting items for Nicodemus) on the Synergizer List, which is the most comprehensive list of items in Avadon 2.

The Pact Papers and Arcane Scrolls quests never count as completed, no matter how many you turn in. After turning in around 10-12 of them per quest you stop getting rewarded with experience and items and just get cash, though.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 26, 2014

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Xander77 posted:

Got there in at the endgame, though I couldn't find the secret passage.
If it's what I think it is: it's a bitch to find. The method isn't new to Spiderweb games, it's just something I hadn't expected to encounter in Avadon. You have to hover your mouse over the walls until you highlight a hidden plate, and click on it.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Bring back obsessively bumping into every edge of the map to reveal hidden areas, Jeff.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
My Exile party members probably got more bruises from that than any of the monsters. :negative:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

Firstly I just meant that the UX of playing Avadon on iOS is very nice. I bought Avernum and Avernum 6 (and Avadon 2) based on the strength of it.
I was more about "keyboard and mouse supremacy". Seriously though, I would occasionally misclick and consume a potion / move my character next to an enemy instead of attacking, so I can't imagine how much more frustrating a touchscreen would be.

quote:

Dug your SR Returns UGC reviews btw.
Why? That was some generic "write your impressions as you play" stuff that I only did because there were very few detailed reviews in the thread.

Thuryl posted:

There are a total of eight drake skins in the game; getting some of them involves choosing to kill drakes that you could otherwise have dealt with peacefully. They're all listed (along with further details on where to find the crafting items for Nicodemus) on the Synergizer List, which is the most comprehensive list of items in Avadon 2.
Huh. I thought I was fairly thorough about exploring every map and doing every sidequest, but turns out I've still missed a bunch of stuff. Not planning to replay any time soon though - that was exhausting.

I do wonder what the plot of Avadon 3 would be. Redbeard still being around and turning into an utterly paranoid monster, hiding somewhere in the Pact and trying to "show them all"?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

moot the hopple posted:

Bring back obsessively bumping into every edge of the map to reveal hidden areas, Jeff.

Kids these days are spoiled. In my day we spent hours trying to find the Chief spider in a giant nest of spiders who are all named Spider.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Kids these days are spoiled. In my day we spent hours trying to find the Chief spider in a giant nest of spiders who are all named Spider.

God damnit I had a flashback to being 7 years old and subjecting my friend to watching me do this. Now I want to find him and apologize.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It was the one on the dais or whatever that looked like an important location how hard was this?

Although you did need to figure out the chief's name in order to get the guard to let you through to see them. What a fiendish puzzle.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I was more about "keyboard and mouse supremacy". Seriously though, I would occasionally misclick and consume a potion / move my character next to an enemy instead of attacking, so I can't imagine how much more frustrating a touchscreen would be.

Why? That was some generic "write your impressions as you play" stuff that I only did because there were very few detailed reviews in the thread.
I find the game's turn-based combat is of a pace and of a tap target size/sensitivity that is conducive to enjoyable play via touch. Mis-inputs are rare.

There is an issue where combat is about to fire up where your last tap can translate to your first action which is usually a waste especially if you have a melee weapon equipped. This is less of a touchscreen issue and more of a small design shortfall. I've avoided it since I stopped impatiently tapping so much on groups of enemies. The game isn't so difficult that the occasional missed action is a frustrating game-ender anyway.

Overall considering Jeff's "retro" niche I was surprised he put together such an enjoyable iOS experience so early into his iOS development.

As for your SR reviews it's primarily that you did them at all, at a level of detail beyond "X and Y are good, the rest are bad" which is too common. They're also fairly difficult things to evaluate/criticize coherently so impressions are probably the better way to go.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'm a bit eager for the Avernum 2 remake, as I felt 2 was the best Exile/Avernum. Playing that shareware version and desperately trying to find whatever food I could while surviving loving basilisks and imps and this one undead rear end in a top hat is still a pretty fond memory. I'm ALSO interested in how the heck he does the waterfall dens of 2 to bring back scrimping and saving and desperately not starving, unless the answer is to just ignore that (which I think was the solution in Avernum; pretend it wasn't there at all).

Also if he's bringing back anything, bring back 6 party members :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He won't bring back six, it'll be much more like Avernum 1 Remake. I'm waiting for him to remake Avernum 3 because it's basically all new assets.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Exile 3 was my favorite so I'm really looking forward to the new Avernum 3, but my impression is it's going to be a very long time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pretty sure it's going to be Avernum 2 remake, then Avadon 3, at minimum, before it's time for the remake of Avernum 3.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a particular reason the Spiderweb pack on steam includes Avernum 4-5-6 + escape from the pit, but not 1-2-3 (unless escape is one of those?)

Also, which Spiderweb RPG's are recommended if I rather liked the writing in Avadon 1-2, but not the constant rubbish combat?

One reason I hesitated before purchasing Avadon 2, was reading a post from the creator savaging a fan who dared suggest that all the combat with spiders, rats, bats etc in 1 was a bit pointless. Rats are the foundation of old school RPGs, you know.

And Avadon 2 certainly shows it. Rats, giant rats, rabid rats, frenzied rats, diseased rats, scorching rats, summoned rats, guardian rats, freezing rats, plague rats, poison rats, lava rats, void rats, space rats, elite rats, laser rats, rats galore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Escape from the Pit is the remake of 1. 1-3 don't play very well with modern Windows.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Zereth posted:

It was the one on the dais or whatever that looked like an important location how hard was this?

He also moves around significantly less than the other Spiders.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Xander77 posted:

Is there a particular reason the Spiderweb pack on steam includes Avernum 4-5-6 + escape from the pit, but not 1-2-3 (unless escape is one of those?)

Zereth posted:

Escape from the Pit is the remake of 1. 1-3 don't play very well with modern Windows.

GOG.com sells all of the Avernum games, 1-6 and Blades of, for $10 if you want the whole set. How well they run I cannot say personally, but GOG has worked some pretty impressive miracles with getting old games to work so that they can be sold. Mind you, there are still some games in their library that don't go, so perhaps someone else can chime in.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Also, which Spiderweb RPG's are recommended if I rather liked the writing in Avadon 1-2, but not the constant rubbish combat?

Maybe the Geneforge series? You can get through most of those with relatively little combat if you focus on leadership and mechanics, although it's not a good idea to completely neglect your fighting skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If you roll Agent in Geneforge 1 and 2 you can, once you get past the start, have incredibly powerful crowd control.

Also, I like the world in Geneforge a lot better than in Avadon, personally.

You may have some trouble getting those games I mentioned to run right without using poo poo to trick them into running in in a window or something, though.