Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

2 and 3 aren't terrible but GF1 is borderline unplayable. Like enough so that I've actually recommended people start with 2 just because 1 has such limited options.

Above all else, the worst part of GF1 was having to manually click for every single living tool you needed to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Ignoring mechanical upgrades (which are significant) from a raw tech standpoint 2 and 3(?) are the hardest to play. The engine is roughly the same as 1 but the areas tend to be larger and more ambitious so the problem of things getting super choppy when too much "stuff" is on screen (this somehow includes text) is much worse.

That said I'm glad i started with 1, it does a really good job of establishing the setting even if mechanically it is a bit hosed.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

dmboogie posted:

Above all else, the worst part of GF1 was having to manually click for every single living tool you needed to use.

And just to show that you can never make everyone happy, there are still people to this day who complain about that being dropped in later games because it meant you could no longer min-max by using the exact number of living tools to get a door within range of your Unlock spell. Never mind that if you invest in enough Mechanics to disarm the traps you run across, you'll still have all the living tools you need for locks anyway.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just picked up the Geneforge games, and while I am having fun (I'm starting with the first one so that I have some understanding of the setting), I'm having a Windows 10 issue.

Geneforge wants to run in 800 x 600 resolution and 16 bit color. I managed to get the 16 bit color to work using compatibility settings, but my monitor (apparently?) won't display at less than 1280 x 720, so I'm playing in a tiny square in the middle of my screen, which sucks. I did some preliminary looking around on GoG and Steam, but didn't find anything helpful. Anybody else here playing on 10 that had this issue?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

Geneforge wants to run in 800 x 600 resolution and 16 bit color. I managed to get the 16 bit color to work using compatibility settings, but my monitor (apparently?) won't display at less than 1280 x 720, so I'm playing in a tiny square in the middle of my screen, which sucks. I did some preliminary looking around on GoG and Steam, but didn't find anything helpful. Anybody else here playing on 10 that had this issue?

Use a screen magnifier utility, maybe? A quick Google turns up this utility.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So, little update now that I think I understand the problem a little better. Geneforge is not telling me that it wants the resolution to be set to 800 x 600, that's the minimum resolution it wants.

Which means that the game thinks I'm trying to run it in a resolution less than that, which makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So far Avadon 3 feels a good bit better than the first two to me. I think it's because the scenario makes things feel a lot better with regards to choice.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I started playing Nethergate: Resurrection and man, it's rough. Way worse than the first Geneforge. Might even be beyond me, I don't know. I'm playing Romans and am wandering around that very first cave and it's a bit of a nightmare. I find it really aggravating having to switch from the map to the inventory all the time and combat doesn't start automatically so enemies sometimes get a hit in before I even notice them. And tiles get re-fogged all the time, which is really annoying.

How long does a playthrough take, roughly? I imagine it's shorter than a Geneforge title since there are effectively two different campaigns (not sure how different they actually are, really?). I don't know if I can stomach 30 hours of this. :(

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I tried the Avadon 3 demo. It's hard to believe how long it took to finally put an action point counter onscreen.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Daler Mehndi posted:

I tried the Avadon 3 demo. It's hard to believe how long it took to finally put an action point counter onscreen.

Started playing that just now, and beyond the little fixes and tweaks I am finding very few reasons to keep playing so far. Not that it is bad or anything, they've finally gotten some new graphics for a variety of items and the like, but I can't see how this one will play out differently than the last.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Repahs the Shaper (I am so creative) has, for the moment at least, chosen to ally himself with the Awakened in Geneforge 1. The servile that still see themselves as slaves are just kind of sad and the Takers are no doubt giant assholes that will just kill me last if I further their goals.

Exploring has been kind of slow going. I've killed the first spawner (apparently there's another I'll need to find) and I met with the Awakened "King", but that's about as far as I've gotten. Any tips on building a Shaper? I've been mainly focusing on shaping magic (for the Fyori(spelling?)), battle spells (fireball everything!), and at least one point per level in leadership or mechanics (and that one time I put one in luck because it was cheap and I had a point left over).

Are my abilities entirely limited by finding those glowing jars?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The jars will help you along but there are also certain NPCs who can help you upgrade your skills for a small fee. But as a Shaper, Shaping magic is your best bet, with some regular magic on the side.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, honestly as a Shaper you shouldn't even be a factor in most fights. Pumping basically everything into shaping/lockpicking/leadership will get you access to basically everything and creations are real good in all the games. Shapers get to have an absurd army of them if you focus on it.

Later on you can branch into buffing magic, but honestly I shy away from stuff that costs significant amounts of essence because I usually have nearly all of it tied up in my creations.

Also in basically every Geneforge game you can safely ignore one of the branches of shaping because its terrible in comparison to the other two. Usually Battle, though Fire takes the crown in 5.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

sitchelin posted:

The jars will help you along but there are also certain NPCs who can help you upgrade your skills for a small fee.

This was added mostly in later games. In Geneforge 1, you have very, VERY limited options outside the canisters.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MagusofStars posted:

This was added mostly in later games. In Geneforge 1, you have very, VERY limited options outside the canisters.
I think there's a few places you can lean like one point of specific skills, maybe a spell, but basically all of your spells and creation knowledge come from canisters on the island, yeah.

In 2 on it's quite possible to go all game without using any canisters and still blow everybody up with magic or whatever, though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So apparently in Avadon 3, Intelligence doesn't do jack poo poo to help Turrets despite the tooltip.

I really wish I knew this before dumping points into Int on my tinkermage.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Deki posted:

So apparently in Avadon 3, Intelligence doesn't do jack poo poo to help Turrets despite the tooltip.

Well, thanks for warning us? Let Jeff know at least and perhaps he can patch it, whether that means changing the tooltip or making it so that it's accurate.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Challenger is a skill with absolutely no effects that hung around for 3 games now, so I kinda doubt patches are going be that likely.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Geneforge 1 resolution update, WTF Edition:

Had a Win 10 update two days ago. Have been playing Geneforge in it's cropped resolution, very rough on the eyes. Decided I wanted to give Avernum a shot (the remake, not the re-remake). It also wanted to change the screen resolution so it can run full screen. I told it to try. It worked, was able to display in full screen. Exited Avernum and started Geneforge, told it to try changing my monitors resolution. It's now working properly, and I don't know why.

Windows 10. :argh:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Gorelab posted:

So far Avadon 3 feels a good bit better than the first two to me. I think it's because the scenario makes things feel a lot better with regards to choice.

The Avadon 2 NPC quests were agonizing. That moron shaman one in particular was just SO DUMB!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Avadon 2 NPC quests were agonizing. That moron shaman one in particular was just SO DUMB!

One of them returns in Avadon 2, and is still pretty annoying.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Deki posted:

I believe you can cheat yourself a respec by selecting whoever, pressing shift+D and then typing retrain. That was in Avadon 2, haven't tried 3 yet but probably still works.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I recently bought and am playing through Avadon and it's good. I laughed out loud when I got the blink pants from Nicodemus and tried them out. At first I thought "hey, this actually seems like a useful item!" and then the first battle where I had them equipped I figured out that's his whole gimmick.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I would say Avadon does not have all that many memorable, fun or interesting characters as Spiderwebs other games, altough it may have something to do with most of your companions who you interact with a lot being (sometimes deliberately) heavily flawed, selfish, biased and/or unwilling to see the big picture. Out of all Hands you get to adventure with, the only one i like or remember much is Nathalie, for just having so much fun obtaining obscene amounts of power and always looking and rushing headlong into the most dangerous enemy or situation she can find to try her new blasting powers on. Politics or whose side you are on, if what you are doing is legally or morally right pffft, all that is secondary as long you are poweful and other people know and respect you and let you have your fun.

Nicodemus is likewise really fun for being another insane wizard/crafter, I wish more of his antics or creations could be found spread throughout the Pact lands.

This is also why i liked the Geneforge series quite a bit. Basically every Shaper was weird at best and insanely unstable at worst, liable to reward you and then fry you at the drop of a hat.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I sure can't beat Beraza Pits. It took me like 45 minutes to clear the infinite spawning imp demon and I just tried to beat the drake for another 45 minutes and died every time

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Koboje posted:

I would say Avadon does not have all that many memorable, fun or interesting characters as Spiderwebs other games, altough it may have something to do with most of your companions who you interact with a lot being (sometimes deliberately) heavily flawed, selfish, biased and/or unwilling to see the big picture.

Thank you for nailing down why I didn't like Avadon 1, because I wasn't able to articulate it myself. It's not just the constant "both answers are wrong" decision points (okay, I can piss off my boss or my coworker, yeah, gently caress you too game), it's also that I didn't actually like any of the characters I worked with or for.

I don't like Game of Thrones for the same reason.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thank you for nailing down why I didn't like Avadon 1, because I wasn't able to articulate it myself. It's not just the constant "both answers are wrong" decision points (okay, I can piss off my boss or my coworker, yeah, gently caress you too game), it's also that I didn't actually like any of the characters I worked with or for.

I don't like Game of Thrones for the same reason.

Game of Thrones: The most sympathetic character is the rear end in a top hat dwarf.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am Redbeard's right hand (get it?) and the needs of the Pact come before all the moral dilemmas the hillbillies called my party members have.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sitchelin posted:

I am Redbeard's right hand (get it?) and the needs of the Pact come before all the moral dilemmas the hillbillies called my party members have.
This, and gently caress all the backstabbers who want to take over from him because they're all less competent than him by a loving mile.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
What I recall the most about Avadon (the first one) was going out on a mission, at the request of a young woman. She was desperate because Avadon has a horrible reputation for being ruthless and merciless. I thought to myself, "I'm going to change that. I can be better than that. I'm going to end this peacefully."

When I was done, everyone had died brutally, everything was burning, and it was pretty much the opposite of everything I wanted to achieve. :sigh:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

RickVoid posted:

Game of Thrones: The most sympathetic character is the rear end in a top hat dwarf.

Actually its the incestuous oath-breaker attempted child killer, or the traitorous suscessful child murderer.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Daler Mehndi posted:

What I recall the most about Avadon (the first one) was going out on a mission, at the request of a young woman. She was desperate because Avadon has a horrible reputation for being ruthless and merciless. I thought to myself, "I'm going to change that. I can be better than that. I'm going to end this peacefully."

When I was done, everyone had died brutally, everything was burning, and it was pretty much the opposite of everything I wanted to achieve. :sigh:

Job well done imo. Redbeard would be proud.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly, That's one thing I think that makes me like Avadon 3 better. The weakness of the powers that be make it so that you get away in trying to change things more than in Avadon 1.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

GodFish posted:

Actually its the incestuous oath-breaker attempted child killer, or the traitorous suscessful child murderer.

And this is why I'll never even finish the first book.

Tolkein for our generation my rear end.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

lazorexplosion posted:

I believe you can cheat yourself a respec by selecting whoever, pressing shift+D and then typing retrain. That was in Avadon 2, haven't tried 3 yet but probably still works.

You are awesome.

sitchelin posted:

Redbeard is better than the chumps who want to replace him, but he's still awful. Carrot and stick works.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In Geneforge 1, is it possible to re-ally yourself with a group that doesn't like you? Like, I wanna do stuff for the awakened and obeyers before I betray the awakened to go do poo poo for the takers, and then I wanted to know when a good time to betray the takers is so I'm not screwing poo poo up too much. I know there is a point where they want me to take out some rebel survivors and I dunno if that's at the point where I've gotten everything worthwhile from the takers or not. If at that point I can safely ally myself with the rebel humans (and somehow get the awakened to be ok with me again), that'd be cool.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

In Geneforge 1, is it possible to re-ally yourself with a group that doesn't like you? Like, I wanna do stuff for the awakened and obeyers before I betray the awakened to go do poo poo for the takers, and then I wanted to know when a good time to betray the takers is so I'm not screwing poo poo up too much. I know there is a point where they want me to take out some rebel survivors and I dunno if that's at the point where I've gotten everything worthwhile from the takers or not. If at that point I can safely ally myself with the rebel humans (and somehow get the awakened to be ok with me again), that'd be cool.

My memory is fuzzy on this, but I remember each faction offering to take you in/forgive you if you promise to do something incredibly horrible to an opposing faction. I played all 3 of them for chumps for those sweet, sweet canisters.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

If you pump Leadership (either manually or with equipment), you can usually talk your way back into their good graces. Or, talk you let way OUT of doing quests that would screw over others.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
There's also a guy... somewhere? on the island who will reset a faction's opinion of you if you betray them horribly, IIRC. If you play very carefully, you can actually ally yourself with all the major factions across the course of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Playing Avadon for the first time and it's pretty interesting. Combat for the most part has been easier on me but it might be because I've finally accepted with these newer games it's not a good idea to try to make jack of all trades characters like you could in the Exile games. The bosses getting 2 moves to your one is pissing me off though. A few times they've just chewed through characters before I can do squat, especially if they get off whatever that buff is that gives you extra AP and get 3 turns worth of attacks.

:argh: