Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

BKPR posted:

I'm about 8 hours into Geneforge 1 and I feel like it's kind o a slog. I can enter a new area and kill two or three enemies before I have to return to a town and remake my creations. Is this a speccing issue? I'm playing a true shaper, and generally put all of my essence into the creations I make.
For me it felt like a slog too, and after 52 hours, according to Steam, I quit Geneforge 1. At that point I was a level 15 or 16 Shaper and while I had cleared 2/3 of the map (I checked afterwards), I really felt like everything stalled.
The few side quests I hadn't done right away, I got no XP for, as I was apparently at a too high level to gain XP from those. The only way I could get XP was by doing the main quest, which kicked my rear end left and right, unless I employed the same tactic as you just mentioned.

Before starting out, I had read a lot about the openness which is probably why something went wrong, as I (main quest spoiler) decidedly didn't join a sect, thus not getting any side quests from any factions. The reason was that I honestly didn't care for any of the sects, I just wanted to get off the drat island.
In hindsight that might not have been the best decision but that's how I played it.
And while the graphics and sound didn't bother me at all, I really started to hate the interface at around the 40 hour mark, which also pushed me to just quit after those 50+ hours.

I still plan on playing Geneforge 2, this time with a bit different approach, but first I want a modern interface, so my next Spiderweb game will be Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

(Oh, and great OP!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU