Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

My dad loved the Exile games when I was growing up, and I sat beside the computer and watched him play through all 3. Eventually I played the heck out of Exile 3 myself, although I never could get into Avernum, even though it's basically the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I recently bought and am playing through Avadon and it's good. I laughed out loud when I got the blink pants from Nicodemus and tried them out. At first I thought "hey, this actually seems like a useful item!" and then the first battle where I had them equipped I figured out that's his whole gimmick.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I sure can't beat Beraza Pits. It took me like 45 minutes to clear the infinite spawning imp demon and I just tried to beat the drake for another 45 minutes and died every time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Parts Kit posted:

Playing Avadon for the first time and it's pretty interesting. Combat for the most part has been easier on me but it might be because I've finally accepted with these newer games it's not a good idea to try to make jack of all trades characters like you could in the Exile games. The bosses getting 2 moves to your one is pissing me off though. A few times they've just chewed through characters before I can do squat, especially if they get off whatever that buff is that gives you extra AP and get 3 turns worth of attacks.

:argh:

How far are you? I just reached level 20 on my main character.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I just killed a bunch of titans

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Oh my god Shunacha's Shade is an annoying fight. My 2 other guys died and now I'm stuck with a blademaster with 9 dexterity pinging down the boss, who gets 3-6 weak attacks for every one of mine, and I can stay alive all day with Second Wind. He can't damage me fast enough but I've literally been shooting 3 arrows per minute at him for 10 minutes and slowly taking him down.

e: lol he has passive regen too, so this fight is going to take me literally over an hour.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 3, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Man these endgame fights are all about debuffs and status effects. I'm routinely spending 75% of the fight either dazed, stunned, charmed, or frightened. It's kind of funny when everyone on your team is charmed though.

e: I just had a 7 minute fight where my main character used one ability on the first turn and then spent 7 irl minutes stunned, dazed, frightened, and charmed

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 3, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Having just finished a very thorough playthrough of Avernum 1, mental status effects were a pain in the rear end for about the first 50% of the game, and then gradually became less and less of an issue as my frontliners got gear to increase their mental resistance. By the end of the game they had around 60-70% resistance despite basically zero investment in stats and skills for mental resistance. Does Avadon 3 not have that kind of gear? Or is it ridiculously spammy with mental statuses or something?

I don't know, I just beat the game and my main guy was a Blademaster who had very low resistance to mental attacks. According to their forums and this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Rj2itvHX2yscpNDOW5SBmaiUZwqeB-B9dKud_dANUY/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKOl1PUF#gid=0 Blademasters end the game with about 8% mental resistance? I think I had around there.

e: I just loaded up my final savefile before the ending and my Blademaster has 11% mental resistance, the Shadowwalker has 42%, and the Sorceress has 72%. Some of the fights near the end got pretty spammy with mental status attacks.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 4, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yikes, that's pretty bad. My fighters wore basically every piece of mental resistance gear I found; sounds like that's just not an option for you. Which is kiiiind of bullshit considering that mental status effects at best completely shut down the target.

In one of the final battles of the game, you are sneaking around off the main path to avoid a gigantic army with basiliks and stuff that you pretty much don't want to fight. You have to fight a small group of people off the main path in order to get access to a back door, and one of my guys got frightened and ran away onto the main path and attracted the gigantic army anyway :lol:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ProfessorCirno posted:

On the note of Escape from the Pit (and Crystal Souls), it's been a drat long time since I played OG Avernum (and even longer since Exile), so I always forget if non-spellcasters were always this pointless, or if it's a new thing, or if it's a thing that existed but has just gotten worse over time.

I never played Avernum but in Exile spellcasters completely owned, basically.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

And Tyler Too! posted:

Archery was nuts in Exile 3. Crossbows were basically handcannons and later on when demons and undead became more frequent blessed bolts would rip them a new rear end in a top hat from a safe distance. If you went after the Fury Crossbow you were the terminator. If you learned capture soul & simulacrum there's a friendly Empire Archer in the slime pits for you to copy, and summoning that guy will help you trivialize all the content up to the troglodytes and hill giants.

Yeah this used to be my pro strat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I'm playing through the newest Avernum 1 remake. I played Exile a long time ago and remember magic being way more powerful than physical attacks but so far my two swordguys are massively outdamaging my spellcasters. I just finished the quest to return the necklace to the mayor of Formello, so I'm still pretty early in the game. Is magic nerfed in the remake or should I just wait? Like I'm still using Firebolt for nearly everything

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magic is still amazing, you just haven't gotten the AoE spells yet. Lightning Spray in particular is a mainstay for most of the game.

Sadly the utility of magic for buffing has been decreased substantially, though.

I wish your posting had been decreased substantially though!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magic is still amazing, you just haven't gotten the AoE spells yet. Lightning Spray in particular is a mainstay for most of the game.

Sadly the utility of magic for buffing has been decreased substantially, though.

Thanks for the tip though. I had passed on Lightning Spray in the Tower of Magi because it was expensive but I just bought 2 levels of it and my life is way way easier

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Parts Kit posted:

Got the Spiderweb email newsletter yesterday and it says Avernum 3 will be released on the 31st. :woop:

m bison yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arrhythmia posted:

Ahahaha, lmao that the game ends with Prazac giving you 1,000 gold pieces. Like, drat, I made more than that clearing out the golem factory.

These games are always kinda like that. Like when you steal the Royal Treasury in Avernum 2 I think it's just 5,000 gold pieces.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I trust Jeffy V more than most people to follow through on the kickstarter.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JustJeff88 posted:

So sayeth the expert, so let it be. :worship:

This is not intended as sarcasm.

username/thread combo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The kickstarter is going well, only 55 hours to go and $9k from "professional sound design" which is something I'd like to see in a spiderweb game

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Srice posted:

Just a heads up that the Spiderweb kickstarter has less than 24 hours to go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror

This is the first time I've ever given money to a video game kickstarter because I figure if Vogel says it's coming out in May 2019 then unless something terrible happens, it's coming out in May 2019.

I threw $20 at it and I've never kickstarted before

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I hope he pockets the extra $9k and it helps him survive a bit longer to make more games

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I bought all of those games except Avadon 3

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I like Jeff’s bad art

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I thought it was for game balance reasons

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Thuryl posted:

This could straight-up happen to your party in Blades of Avernum if you entered a new area with a very narrow entry zone and guest party members tagging along; usually map design in official games had a little bit of open space around the entrance of every map area so that nothing quite that bad would happen, but obviously BoA had player-made scenarios made by people who weren't aware of that engine limitation and therefore didn't take the necessary precautions.

Didn't Jeff also say Blades of Avernum took up more of his time than any other game he's made, for reasons like this?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Berke Negri posted:

yeah id like 5

as is you got tank + mage school caster + priest school caster so youre super limited with that flex

One of the annoying things for me is the tank is usually necessary to survive in the early game but by the end of the game your tank can be pretty useless if you haven't been really careful with your build and items. A level 30 something mage or priest in one of the Avernum games is better in basically every way than a melee heavy tank unless you're facing a specific enemy resistant to your best spells. I haven't played them in a long time, but from what I remember of the Exile series it was even worse.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ProfessorCirno posted:

The real problem with the Avernum remakes - I don't remember if Exile or the pre-remakes were the same, it's been so long - is that magic very quickly becomes way better then non-magic, to the point where in Avernum 2 I just rolled with four spellcasters, and in Avernum 3 it was two mages, a priest, and an archer-tank. Adding a fifth slot just means I have one more person throwing down massive AoE attacks.

There's all this cool fun weapons, and no reason to ever use them...

Yeah this is basically what I was saying. I think exile was probably worse because you got the Fireball spell pretty early, and light heal all pretty early

Also similar is that there’s really no reason to use polearms. Some of the late game polearms hit pretty hard but they don’t hit harder than two good swords and they are much worse for defense because you can’t use a shield

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

happy 9/11 everyone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Glare Seethe posted:

I think character development seems to be a little more open-ended and relaxed compared to the Avadon and the Avernum remakes. I'm still too early on to really judge but the skill trees are gone and with them the limitation on raising a skill without raising its prerequisite, which I kinda disliked. So it looks like you don't need to invest much in skills you don't want (just two points per tier).

But I'm also only playing on Normal so I expect my game to be super easy anyway.

i think i read you can respec your characters for free in any town at any time in this one?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

GodFish posted:

I forgot this came out today and I'm busy tomorrow, gently caress!!

I hear you friend. I have a family engagement that will prevent me from playing until Monday

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, I think BoE was just a lot easier to work with. With BoE, the scenario editor has a graphical user interface for every step in the process of making a scenario, from statting out items and monsters to making maps and placing events on them. This meant that when Blades of Exile was released, a lot of people quickly jumped in and made a lot of low-effort scenarios, many of which were bad but which still kept the community active. The BoA scenario editor is mostly just a mapmaking tool: doing anything else meaningful requires you to learn a scripting language, which is more powerful but also more demanding of the user, so if you couldn't get over that initial learning curve you'd probably end up with nothing releasable at all. Plus, when BoA was released there was already an established BoE design community that knew how to work with that engine and was pretty divided on the idea of switching over to a new one. End result: the total number of publicly released BoE scenarios is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 400, while the total number of BoA scenarios is a little over 50.

This is like neverwinter nights 1 vs 2. 2 looked a lot better but required much more scripting and 3d map editing and the community never really took off in the same way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Do bakeries and distilleries etc only increase gold production? Is there any way to increase steel production of any given fort?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I've played Exiles 1, 2, and 3 and the Avernum versions of the same. I'm probably never gonna play 4, 5, or 6. What is the basic storyline of those games?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Thanks guys. Not sure you need to spoiler tag a 20 year old video game plot reference though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Do the cultural passives stack?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

archery seems insanely strong

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I actually like the art style better in this one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pro tip: the teleport spell is awesome and you can teleport an enemy boss or annoying character into the middle of your party right and stun them at the beginning of a fight, and it only uses 4AP so after the teleport you can still get an attack off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Another protip: enemy casters know that trick too. :catstare:

The fort upgrade notes that it improves resource income in the description, but I'm not actually clear how much of a boost it is. Has someone checked the before/after numbers? I'm guessing it can't be more than 25%.

It’s on the spiderweb forums and it seems to vary depending on the fort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Some guy on the spiderweb forums claims the bleeding passive cultural skill seems to stack at least