Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
Zalgo reporting in for this LP enjoyment!

No shirt, No pants, Ghost Pig Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it just me, or is there a horrendous crackle-hiss to the audio on your first video? Only on the game audio, not the commentary track.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

rotinaj posted:

Is it just me, or is there a horrendous crackle-hiss to the audio on your first video? Only on the game audio, not the commentary track.

I haven't noticed it and nobody else has mentioned it. Where in the video are you getting it? :ohdear:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I changed headphones and there is a static hiss on audio over literally all three of your videos.

It doesn't make it unwatchable by any means, and your voice-audio doesn't sound like it has anything to do with it, it doesn't get louder or quieter as you guys talk. It sounds like it had something to do with the capture of your game audio.

Or maybe my computer's sound is hosed and I don't know it.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 10, 2013

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I changed headphones and there is a static hiss on audio over literally all three of your videos.

It doesn't make it unwatchable by any means, and your voice-audio doesn't sound like it has anything to do with it, it doesn't get louder or quieter as you guys talk. It sounds like it had something to do with the capture of your game audio.

Possible suspects: Your computers sound. None of the videos have any sort of audio issue for me.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

rotinaj posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's just you, the videos sound fine to me.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Thirding the notion. I thought the game sounds were far too low, but I hear no static nonsense.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I like the idea of Wei dressing up as a cop, to see absolutely nobody notice or question it at all. To wit, the cowboy hat with "Sheriff" written on a badge on the front appeals to me, with the Dark Blue Windbreaker.

Pants optional

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Man, if I had money to spare, I'd go out and buy a copy of this game. I already knew it's great, but seeing it in action sealed the deal. Also, I found it funny that one of you mentioned a final fight at the top of a skyscraper, since that's exactly how the first True Crime ended.

If you're still taking clothes requests, wear the denim vest, the 80's jeans, the ankle boots, the high-roller shades, and the cowboy hat.. MAXIMUM 80's :krad:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LP is looking great! I'll definitely be following along.

Does it become more open-world like GTA, or are you going to be sort of limited in most areas.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

M.Ciaster posted:

If you're still taking clothes requests

I most certainly am!

Junior G-man posted:

Does it become more open-world like GTA, or are you going to be sort of limited in most areas.

As of finishing up the first episode, it's already mostly open-world. I can go anywhere on the map if I'm willing to drive there, and most of the side missions are already open. Those that aren't open up pretty quickly, like the drug busts.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

In relation to this game: It is currently 75% off as the daily deal on Steam!

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Zalgo posted:

:v: Timing!

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Zalgo posted:

Yeah, Timing. I bought it yesterday.

:(

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Tequila Ranger posted:

Yeah, Timing. I bought it yesterday.

:(

Think about it this way: you fully supported an amazing developer and a publisher that's shown a huge amount of support for good devs lately, and got an awesome game out of the deal. :buddy:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I like that when you get caught in the intro, the cops give you the "you don't have to say anything" speech. For those who don't know, that's the British version of the Omerta MIRANDA rights speech, which makes sense because until 1997 Hong Kong was a colony(-ish) of the UK. I just really like that they went that far in terms of detail. :allears:

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 17, 2013

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

YourAverageJoe posted:

I like that when you get caught in the intro, the cops give you the "you don't have to say anything" speech. For those who don't know, that's the British version of the Omerta rights speech, which makes sense because until 1997 Hong Kong was a colony(-ish) of the UK. I just really like that they went that far in terms of detail. :allears:

I didn't know that it was the British version of that speech. :buddy: That's fantastic. Thanks for letting us know.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Do we ever get cowboy boots to go with the hat? Because for all this game looks like something I'd really enjoy, I can't shut up the part of my mind that's demanding cowboy hat, boots, and y-fronts.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
The Vigilante suit is pretty awesome, so I hope you'll wear it at some point.

Cowboy Hat, High Roller Shades, no shirt, Fingerless Gloves, Ripped Tight 80s Jeans, Ankle Boots gets my vote for now.

Lokimu
Nov 1, 2010
Definitely one of my favorite games, and one that I almost never even picked up. It's just drat fun, easily the game's strongest quality in a sea of strong qualities. The atmosphere, the gameplay, the characters, the story, everything is great.

I only really had 2 very minor complaints with the game: 1) A couple minor characters show up and then are very abruptly never seen again, almost as if they were running out of development time. 2) There's a particular tutorial sequence that I actually hoped was going to be built into part of the gameplay because it was so well crafted, but unfortunately was not. Though it's hard to file something under complaint just because it was too good.

A lot of the sidequests and activities are actually pretty fun as well, though I bet a lot of players don't do too much with them the first time through. Once the story gets moving it just begs to be finished, continually ramping up straight through to the end. Essentially, throwing in my 2 cents that the game is simply a steal at the $10 Steam sale.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

petrol blue posted:

Do we ever get cowboy boots to go with the hat? Because for all this game looks like something I'd really enjoy, I can't shut up the part of my mind that's demanding cowboy hat, boots, and y-fronts.

Sadly, I don't think there are any actual cowboy boots. I'll keep an eye out, though! Right now as I get ready to record more footage it looks like the Ghost Pig Mask is winning, which is excellent. Excellent. For reasons. :ssh:

IN THE MEANTIME

The first of the videos I recorded in advance!

:siren:Video 2: Relaxation:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL3S7yNSyiA

In which JossiRossi and I help out some friends, learn about Hong Kong, and finally find a way to relax in this hectic world of gangsters and cops.

E: oh cool, youtube cut off the part where rossi says goodnight, thanks youtube

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 11, 2013

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Thanks for pointing out that Sleeping Dogs stuff is on-sale. I just finished the game recently and am thinking of picking up the story-based DLC; are there any costume packs worth adding to cart while they're cheap? Should I just get them all?

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Karthe posted:

Thanks for pointing out that Sleeping Dogs stuff is on-sale. I just finished the game recently and am thinking of picking up the story-based DLC; are there any costume packs worth adding to cart while they're cheap? Should I just get them all?

Honestly, the SWAT Pack and the Square Enix Character pack are good just because they add some new content- new weapons with the S-E pack, and new side missions with the SWAT pack. I like the costumes just for messing around in, but those are the two I really think are big useful things to have.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Have you played this game with mouse/keyboard controls? How terrible is it? Alternately, is it natively compatible with a PS3 controller? I loving hate trying to get MotionInJoy working to emulate a 360 controller. It always takes longer than any sane person might expect.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 11, 2013

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

Have you played this game with mouse/keyboard controls? Alternately, is it natively compatible with a PS3 controller? I loving hate trying to get MotionInJoy working to emulate a 360 controller. It always takes longer than any sane person might expect.

I've tried it with KB/M and it's not the best setup I've ever used, but it's playable and you won't hate it. The game was, like many games in this genre, designed around controllers, but it functions well enough with Keyboard and Mouse that it's not crippling to use them and I'm sure you could complete the entire game with them.

As for the PS3 controller, Google turns up a lot of people using MotionInJoy with no mention of built-in compatibility- sorry. :v:

by the way, for you ghost pig fans:

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 11, 2013

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

I've tried it with KB/M and it's not the best setup I've ever used, but it's playable and you won't hate it. The game was, like many games in this genre, designed around controllers, but it functions well enough with Keyboard and Mouse that it's not crippling to use them and I'm sure you could complete the entire game with them.

As for the PS3 controller, Google turns up a lot of people using MotionInJoy with no mention of built-in compatibility- sorry. :v:

I'm probably just going to use keyboard/mouse then. I know I'd get confused as hell by the QTE prompts for x360 while using my PS3 controller. "Press X!" ":downs:A!... drat it all to hell"

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'm also using keyboard and mouse. So far the only issue I have really had is that the car horn is bound to H and that's just a little too far over for me to easily hit. Oh and I guess the phone controls are bound to keys on the right side of the keyboard (enter, backspace, arrow keys). So I need to take my hand off the mouse to use those. Other than those two things though it works fine.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Chocolate Donuts posted:

by the way, for you ghost pig fans:

What's the deal with Ghost Pig mask? Is it from a previous True Crime game? Sleeping Dogs is the only game in the series that I've played, so while I enjoyed running around with it on, I completely missed the reference.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Karthe posted:

What's the deal with Ghost Pig mask? Is it from a previous True Crime game? Sleeping Dogs is the only game in the series that I've played, so while I enjoyed running around with it on, I completely missed the reference.

I'm sure there's a reference there that I'm missing, but Google's turning up nothing. All I can offer is that the DLC description says this:

Steam Store Page posted:

Become the elusive movie star with the Ghost Pig mask.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ugh. This game looks fun, but Steam isn't working on my computer that works and works on the computer that doesn't. By the time I get either to a point where I could buy this the sale will be over.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Karthe posted:

Well there are posters for the Ghost Pig movie pretty much all over Hong Kong (in the game, that is) so I think it's just a reference to that. Also to quote the games thread title, Sleeping Dogs is TOTALLY NOT TRUE CRIME!

Man I forgot how cool the default bike is, handles like rear end, but cool.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
I actually find keyboard+mouse to be the easiest way to control him, for a simple reason: Double-click forward and hold it, and you'll sprint until you let go, and quickly tapping (as in, letting go and then holding it again) makes you parkour. Much easier than tap-A.

Plus, usually games aren't too fond of my dual-shock controller, they require an x-box controller because Microsoft, and I refuse to buy a console controller when I've got one specifically designed for a PC (it even has number-labeling on the buttons to help with control-binding)

Looking forward to you guys commenting on some of the later-game stuff, though.
Hope you at least show off some high-speed driving - as in, at some point get your hands on a speed-car - this game's got some of the best handling I've seen - it may or may not be realistic, but I prefer it to the handling of actual race-games.
Kinda makes me wish the map was bigger, so I could just go driving cross-country and/or maybe have some cop-cases that aren't either downtown or on the highway.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Something Really Bad Just Happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzX9cyig8Q4

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I think you mean something amazing.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

aerion111 posted:

Looking forward to you guys commenting on some of the later-game stuff, though.
Hope you at least show off some high-speed driving - as in, at some point get your hands on a speed-car - this game's got some of the best handling I've seen - it may or may not be realistic, but I prefer it to the handling of actual race-games.
Kinda makes me wish the map was bigger, so I could just go driving cross-country and/or maybe have some cop-cases that aren't either downtown or on the highway.

I seem to remember that the development team pulled in the Need for Speed guys for help with the driving.

Yup.

Wikipedia posted:

Regarding the driving segments, several developers had worked on previous Need for Speed titles.

Also, I just got a DLC that involves some kind of supercar and some upgrade missions for it. :science:

James, what the hell did you do. :catstare:

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

Of course I see this thread the day after Steam's daily deal for the game.

Looking good so far, definitely going to leave it in my wishlist so I don't miss out next time.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Requesting Straw Hat with either the Wushu outfit or the Lightning warrior outfit if it actually gives you lightning powers. Basically I want you to be this guy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anyone who missed the Steam Daily Deal for this game, apparently Square-Enix is having a half-off sale of several titles, including this one, on XBox Live. The sale stays up until the 19th.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/12/square-enix-holding-large-discount-sale-on-xbox-live/

edit: What DLCs should I prioritize? Downloading the game now.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 13, 2013

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Lotish posted:

What DLCs should I prioritize? Downloading the game now.

I'd suggest getting the big story DLCs (Year of the Snake, Zodiac Tournament, Nightmare in North Point) and the SWAT Pack, which adds some cop jobs. Past that, pick out the costumes that look the most fun to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Goddamn, this game looks great. I wish I'd picked it up when I still had my 360, but I'm lucky it's out on PC now too. It looks like it'll fill the void that Red Dead Redemption had left. I tried to fill it with LA Noire, which was alright in it's own regard but I really love games that are essentially genre movies with you in the role of the protagonist, and I love me some Asian crime films.

• Locked thread