Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Thanks for doing this- I picked up Sleeping Dogs during the Steam Christmas sale and have been looking for some motivation to finally get started on it. This thread might provide that incentive.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I like the idea of Wei dressing up as a cop, to see absolutely nobody notice or question it at all. To wit, the cowboy hat with "Sheriff" written on a badge on the front appeals to me, with the Dark Blue Windbreaker.

Pants optional

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Have you played this game with mouse/keyboard controls? How terrible is it? Alternately, is it natively compatible with a PS3 controller? I loving hate trying to get MotionInJoy working to emulate a 360 controller. It always takes longer than any sane person might expect.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 11, 2013

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

I've tried it with KB/M and it's not the best setup I've ever used, but it's playable and you won't hate it. The game was, like many games in this genre, designed around controllers, but it functions well enough with Keyboard and Mouse that it's not crippling to use them and I'm sure you could complete the entire game with them.

As for the PS3 controller, Google turns up a lot of people using MotionInJoy with no mention of built-in compatibility- sorry. :v:

I'm probably just going to use keyboard/mouse then. I know I'd get confused as hell by the QTE prompts for x360 while using my PS3 controller. "Press X!" ":downs:A!... drat it all to hell"

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So I've started playing this finally, and so far have only discovered three things I'm not terribly fond of.

Shift-to-aim is an obvious mechanical problem with the keyboard/mouse controls, but I can live with that, I suppose.

Driving controls are rather... aggressive, when using the keyboard, as well. It's relatively tough to move with any degree of precision.

The biggest annoyance for me, though, is that "while driving" conversations are a lot longer than the distances you have to travel, with no "log" of the dialogue (unless I've missed it) that you've overshot, a la LA Noire.

Still, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and would never have turned it on were it not for this LP.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I think my favorite "execution" (for lack of a much better term) is the fan. You stick the dude's head into a vent and see the blood just come spurting out all over the place. It's by far the most brutal I've seen so far.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
One of my favorite things about this game from playing it is that, despite everyone thinking that he can, Wei Shen is the only person in Hong Kong that actually knows how to swim.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

No joke, while recording some footage earlier, I was participating in a chase during a mission. I bumped a woman while running across a bridge, and she fell into the water, which instantly killed her and docked me cop score for murdering her. :smith:

I'm still unsure what I think about cop score as a mechanic. I mean- I appreciate that you're supposed to be a cop and killing innocents should be avoided, but it seems next to impossible to keep your cop score at 3 for most missions, since stealing a car knocks you below the threshold in many missions, as does bumping into, well, just about anything.

I like it better than just a flat "Mission failed" if you pop the wrong guy, though, I guess, and despite my failings I managed to end up with about one and a half full lines of cop upgrades. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

I also really hate the 'revving' animation when you get on a bike. It does seem to have a gameplay purpose, though. Similar to respawning at full health after dying during a mission, regardless how low you might have been when you got there, after failing one of the "Grab a bike and chase the truck" missions, the checkpoint is seemingly just after revving. It provides a bit of an "OK, you're an idiot, so here's your extra 1.5 seconds of leeway" type of deal.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 23, 2013

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
About how long is each major DLC mission pack? I'm debating buying them, now that I've finished the main game.

Also playing Space rear end in a top hat on the recommendation of the thread, which is mostly satisfying my open-world mayhem-creation urge for the time being.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

wildzero posted:

Total Conversion Mod, I think? That, or Turner Classic Movies.

Total conversion mod sounds like I have to do a new playthrough with the mod installed, rather than just tacking them on to the end of my existing playthrough? Entirely new campaign?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Finishing the car missions is probably the first thing I did in the game once I got to that point. The value per car kept going up, and so I kept going after them to the tune of about 4 million $HK.

I've never run into any of these glitches you run into in this video, though. My guess is that FRAPS is screwing up collision detection or something similar.

Calibration on Keyboard/mouse isn't that bad, but it's a lot easier. You do the two calibrations sequentially, and they lock into place, rather than having to lock both of them into place at exactly the same time.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My favorite thing with the car valet is that if you're quick enough, you can hijack him from his motorcyle, which entails the whole "Grab him, punch him out, throw him on the ground unconscious" animation.

You can do that every single time, and he'll still be more than happy to bring you a car every single time you call (and you're in a location accessible by car/bike, he'll say he's too busy if you're out of bounds).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Stupid question, I'm sure, but what do you mean by online play? Just the social hub /leaderboards? Or is there actually some version if competitive or cooperative play hidden somewhere in the base game or DLC?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I really enjoyed this particular rail-shooter segment. Later missions that require you to kill dozens of cars while piloting your own motorcycle? Not nearly as much fun, at least using keyboard/mouse controls. Somehow, it always ends up in either a horrifying crash or Wei driving past one of the targets at 150 miles per hour and failing the mission by default.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I loving hated "Cheaters Never Prosper Pt.2".

The game put the car on the wrong side of an unpassable building (it looked like you can climb it, you can't) from the GPS tic, and so it took me a good 6-7 tries (at the full 3 minutes a try) to actually try going in from the back.

Infuriating, because I was *sure* that it was my fuckup and slowness getting to and from the area, when in fact it was just a poorly placed GPS route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

David D. Davidson posted:

The last cheaters never prosper is much worse I found.

Err funny story about that.... I made an error in completely good faith about which specific Cheaters Never Prosper I was thinking of and managed to spoil the last wing of that side-mission. I had looked at the description of the mission on the Sleeping Dogs wiki, and it gave me the impression the last one entailed chasing down a moving vehicle, which I hadn't done, so I assumed what I'd experienced had been on the second one.

The last one does suck, though.

• Locked thread