Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What are the chances that Sabu gets a scar for the rest of the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just caught up with this series after like a year of forgetting about it.

Man. Author is pretty good at juggling his three "threads" and making them distinct. Slapstick airhead humour, surprisingly touching childhood poverty, and this weird sort of overlord middleschooler working herself to death.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
We're back! With a touching story about achieving your dreams.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 24, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

God this manga is such a charming hilarity

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nate RFB posted:

We're back! With a touching story about achieving your dreams.

The moment they mentioned school play starring Hina I just knew it was going to devolve, SKET-Dance-style into a complete and hilarious trainwreck!

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Holy poo poo, so good. :)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Well, it's Hina-chan. Why expect something in the first place?"

Hitomi's become cold ever since she started scaling the ladder of career success.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I really love how hilariously jaded her classmates have become/are becoming. Hitomi was just the first.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

"Well, it's Hina-chan. Why expect something in the first place?"

Hitomi's become cold ever since she started scaling the ladder of career success.

Once you climb the corporate ladder of capitalism there's no going back

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Knowing this manga, in a chapter or two Nitta's gonna make reference to the week he spent reminding Hina what her name is.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Not exactly Hinamatsuri, but by the same manga-ka: the story of a boy who goes on a magical journey through time and space.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Kleptobot posted:

Not exactly Hinamatsuri, but by the same manga-ka: the story of a boy who goes on a magical journey through time and space.

This guy has deadpan humor down to a science.

Also, here's a very short extra from vol. 6.

She's OK, folks!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Kleptobot posted:

Okay this is fantastic and I need more of it. This author's humor is so great

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Kleptobot posted:

I really wish this was a series instead of a one-shot.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Pyronic posted:

I really wish this was a series instead of a one-shot.

Um, it is? Just because only the first chapter has been translated doesn't mean that's all there is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GoatLord posted:

Um, it is? Just because only the first chapter has been translated doesn't mean that's all there is.
The first chapter could honestly be easily interpreted as a one-shot, to be fair.

It rules, regardless.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

GoatLord posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

The first chapter could honestly be easily interpreted as a one-shot, to be fair.

It rules, regardless.

the listing on batoto says "A collection of short stories by Ohtake Masao, the author of Hinamatsuri."

I assumed that meant they were one-shots.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It also says "26 pages" on the cover (in Japanese, along with some kanji I do not know). And oh look, it's 26 pages. If it continues I'd be very happy, but I am fairly sure this is only a one shot.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Now Leaving Tokyo, Next Stop: Another World is both the title of this story (definitely a one-shot) AND the title of this upcoming anthology of Ohbata one-shots. The above "chapter" was probably done from magazine raws, but was pre-emptively uploaded to establish a single place for the anthology, if it ever sees scanlation.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 1, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 34

I'm not sure whether you could call that lady extremely dedicated or hilariously lazy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Chapter 34

I'm not sure whether you could call that lady extremely dedicated or hilariously lazy.

Oh my god. :lol:

"For the first time in my life I feel a strong urge to beat an old woman to death." HILARIOUS.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Who cares, time for dandelions. :geno: I love this character.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The author has some kind of poor people fetish.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Extremely dedicated to trivialities, I'd say.

EDIT: Oh, and in case you missed it, here's the fallout from Nitta's TV debut.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 25, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rexides posted:

The author has some kind of poor people fetish.

Plenty of manga artists cover the topic of nearly starving to death in abject poverty. After all, you're supposed to write what you know, right?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Mary Annette posted:

Extremely dedicated to trivialities, I'd say.

EDIT: Oh, and in case you missed it, here's the fallout from Nitta's TV debut.

Oh my god poor Nitta. That's some hilariously petty harassment

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
There aren't many things that can, reliably, either touch my heart or make me laugh. This manga is the only one I can think of that does both.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Latest Chapter, about Anzu this time.

... Aww c'mon. Don't do that! You're seriously gonna make me cry!! :unsmith:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Oh man :unsmith: that was the best chapter yet. So heartwarming!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, Anzu chapters haven't been like funny funny for a while. But I'll take it, because drat.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just went back and read all the Anzu chapters again. Aww. There's just... something about these "Orphans with a Heart of Gold" stories...! :cry:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd have probably liked the chapter more if I wasn't so busy raging at Sabu. :argh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It reads like there's some missing pages since we never actually saw Anzu lose her money, but still, good chapter.

Nate RFB posted:

Man, Anzu chapters haven't been like funny funny for a while. But I'll take it, because drat.

Hitomi being completely unfazed at money was pretty funny.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

It reads like there's some missing pages since we never actually saw Anzu lose her money, but still, good chapter.

http://i.imgur.com/IyZ9wIZ.png

Pictured: Anzu losing all her money.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

:downs:

I wasn't looking that closely, I suppose.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cake Attack posted:

Hitomi being completely unfazed at money was pretty funny.

And now she's mastered horse-racing as well. One more step on her way to being the richest character in the series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

And now she's mastered horse-racing as well. One more step on her way to being the richest character in the series.

Also, apparently, she suffers from ulcers due to stress. With this and the horse racing, she's become a middle-aged man at the age of 14!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This might have been the best chapter in a series of best chapters. :unsmith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hitomi was in rare form this chapter. "I don't know even one credible adult??? :gonk:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not a new chapter or anything, but man do I love rereading older chapters as Norway updates them: