Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Orv posted:

The civilizations, at least last I played it maybe it's been rectified, were both hideously unbalanced, and just hideous. The Italian buildings are particular eyesores. There are also a few unnecessary changes they made for the sake of "professional balance".

I can't speak for the balance but I think the building sets look great, well as good as a 13 year old game could look, certainly better than most of the other Custom buildings I've seen around for other mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hynt0D5UUeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCn1yfQJF8w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Most of Forgotten Empires' graphics are taken from said other mods.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Electric Sheep posted:

This is a genius idea, it brings me back to my days of spamming spirit-towers in Warcraft 3.

It definitely never would've worked if the guy castle rushed or something like that, but this game went on just long enough for me to go hog wild building a giant rear end bunker.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

John Charity Spring posted:

Most of Forgotten Empires' graphics are taken from said other mods.

I know that it shares most of the Italian stuff with that Age of Chivalry mod, what else is there? The Taj Mahal is from somewhere else too right?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I'm not sure why those buildings... gleam so much. Compare the Eastern European tileset in the default AoK.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Edit: Nevermind. :)

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 6, 2013

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

khwarezm posted:

I know that it shares most of the Italian stuff with that Age of Chivalry mod, what else is there? The Taj Mahal is from somewhere else too right?

It's a complete hodge-podge of things, and they got quite desperate when searching for suitable graphics for units - they use a Rohirrim cavalryman unit for the Hungarian Huszar, I believe, and it sticks out quite a bit. One unit that I originally made myself made it into the mod - the Genoese Crossbowman. The Italian buildings are a mix of Age of Chivalry and Rome At War. I think they do have some original artwork - notably the Incan unique unit - but most of the rest is taken from all over. Which is fine, and this isn't a complaint about theft or whatever; a lot of AOE2 mods share art assets and the community isn't as anal about trying to 'protect' their creations as some others are. Forgotten Empires is pretty inconsistent with it, though, and doesn't really maintain a coherent style as a result.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jesto posted:

So I decided to look up information the game and...

I'm pretty sure they just worded it poorly and mean you can invite Steam friends directly into games. I have no idea why they wouldn't allow public custom games, with or without a filter.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Orv posted:

I'm pretty sure they just worded it poorly and mean you can invite Steam friends directly into games. I have no idea why they wouldn't allow public custom games, with or without a filter.

It's mostly that line combined with the fact that I looked all through that video and didn't see one 'Custom Map' option that concerns me. :( I hope you're right.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
Sneaky terrorist cell bullshit tactics. This guy is a good sport for commentating the game he lost so soundly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U1n6mcyo7Y

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really enjoying these game videos. Even though they cause the craving to set in.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just found out yesterday that ESO for Age of Mythology has finally gone down for good. :smith:

Might do an LP of it to send it out, since it has probably the best campaign of any RTS I've played.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Question about playing the original on Win7: has anyone (a) had waypoints be totally ignored by all units when playing and (b) know how to fix this issue? If I have to wait a whole week for the new version it's not the end of the world but man I really wanted to go through some campaigns and it's drat near unplayable without building/movement queues.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
To get units to follow waypoints, the last waypoint has to be set without holding Shift.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Anyone wanna get in on a 4 pack?

[edit]
All full!

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 28, 2013

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

ronya posted:

To get units to follow waypoints, the last waypoint has to be set without holding Shift.

Yes.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It's massively counter-intuitive and I hope they fix it to the way it works pretty much all right-click RTSes, including AoM and AoE3 (where units leave immediately when a waypoint is set, instead of waiting for a final non-shifted right click).

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

Great game, anyone here from Europe planning to play?

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood
Does anyone want to join in for a 4-pack? I need two more people.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Klint posted:

Does anyone want to join in for a 4-pack? I need two more people.

*edit: sorted. :toot:

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 4, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

If I buy this tomorrow when I get paid will it still early unlock for me?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

If I buy this tomorrow when I get paid will it still early unlock for me?

Probably, as long as it's before 6pm GMT.

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

devs posted:

10AM Pacific time (GMT -7) is the release time of a game on Steam.

So the game is unlocked for preorders at 1800 BST/1900 CEST. If you buy it before then I suppose it would still be a preorder?

E: Yeah what he said. However, I can't see them shutting out all the other people before the 9th... Infact, the store page says SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends 9 April so it should be fine. Otherwise you could always trade for a preorder copy with someone on Steam. Trading TF2/Dota 2 items or keys for AoE2HD will cost you something like ~£6-7.

marcadia fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 4, 2013

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007
I'm lining up for a 4-pack with some friends but one of them is very cautious about pre-ordering incase it turns out to be crap/broken for ages, he seems to think we can wait until everyone unlocks it having pre-ordered, see what people think and then pre-order on steam as the "pre-order" runs up until the release date.

Any solid info on whether this will work or will it be a case of if we don't pre-order before unlock tomorrow we don't get it until release day?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Probably, as long as it's before 6pm GMT.

Sweet. I've never bought anything before release on steam before so I wasn't sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You can now pre-load it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

You can now pre-load it.

Of everything I have at my current job, I think I'm going to miss the download speeds the most :allears:

I've not pre-loaded a game on Steam before, once pre-loaded I can play it as soon as it officially releases, right?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Of everything I have at my current job, I think I'm going to miss the download speeds the most :allears:

I've not pre-loaded a game on Steam before, once pre-loaded I can play it as soon as it officially releases, right?

Typically there is a small chunk left out and when released they enable that chunk to download which then gives you the ability to play the game. It isn't just "At X time, you can start playing".

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

To be fair mine say "You can play instantly when the game is released" or something like that once it preloaded.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
That was the fastest any game has ever preloaded. I forgot how small games used to be.

Orv
May 4, 2011
10AM PST apparently is the launch window. Also apparently the show match they did on March 28th was a complete buggy shitshow, so maybe this game is bumjumped. Guess we'll see.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Just got this now, so when do we get our hands on it today?

Orv
May 4, 2011

simosimo posted:

I will loving hurt you. Look up.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I played this a tonne back in the day but Rise of Nations was an improvement in pretty much every way.

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy

simosimo posted:

in about 4 hours, countdown here : http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20130405T10&p0=234&msg=Age+of+Empires+II+HD+Release

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh hell yes, I forgot that people who pre-ordered get to play this before release. I was looking for an excuse to not go out tonight :v:

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I just restarted Steam, and it looks like it's unlocking now.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Fangs404 posted:

That was the fastest any game has ever preloaded. I forgot how small games used to be.

This is 1.2 GB on my harddrive, the original gold edition is 550 MB.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Its out. There are a shitton of achievements with 1 only gotten by preordering it. Great way to drive nerds insane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, just too bad it's lagging or something. My comp is way too good for it, but at least the original ran smoothly the other day. I didn't expect this to go by in 10 fps or whatever the current framerate I get is.

• Locked thread