Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

luncheon meat posted:

I can't wait to see the updated car sprites. That was one of the best cheats in any game ever.

I can't wait to see the updated naked VDML unit :haw:

I've been waiting for a version of this game for modern systems for years. The fact that it's in HD is just icing on the cake! I find it really strange that any of you had trouble with playing network games. I never had a problem with it even on my Windows 7 computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Will this game have the original medieval-inspired soundtracks? I'm one of those troglodytes that still wants his RTS games to have music. Hell, even an entirely new score would be welcome.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

C-Euro posted:

Those sprites were 3D? I never noticed.

They weren't. They used images of 3D models to make 2D sprites, much like what Rare did for Donkey Kong Country.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Danyull posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/aoe2goons

Empty and boring, but there you go.

I'm in! I never was the best at this game (I often have problems getting my military up and running early enough), but my economy tends to be through the roof.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

simosimo posted:

I think aoe2 has great stalemates. I remember playing a 4 hour game , around Christmas , eating white chocolate maltesers.

It was a locked game either side, dunno why I remember it so vividly. Look forward to more slugs!

I also have fond memories of this during Christmas breaks in high school. Using a direct-to-modem dialup connection with my friend, drinking a 2L bottle of ginger ale, playing a Regicide map and making jokes about how the fat lard king can somehow walk faster than our scout cavalry.

Good times :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EasternBronze posted:

This is why I've always preferred team games on Black Forest/Islands.

I always tend to play defensively, making Black Forest my most favorite map archetype and Islands my least :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TerryLennox posted:

Byzantine all the way! Cannon towers and cataphracts. They brought a ram or siege weaponry? Flank em with the cataphracts. They brought archers, charge them with the cataphracts. Brought anticavalry? Stay behind your walls and let your cannon destroy them.

:hfive:

Impenetrable fortresses stuffed to the brim with cataphracts. The Byzantines knew what was up. Elephant-mobbing every drat thing with Persians is fun too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SheepNameKiller posted:

Probably the most fun I ever had in AOE2 was knowing that I was going to lose a multiplayer battle and making a giant square of houses with about 40 onagers in the middle as the celts. I still lost but I definitely stretched the game out a couple of hours since there was basically nothing my opponent could do except slowly atrophy the houses in between losing entire armies to an onager barrage.

During my first ever game on the Zone one of my teammates had a small lake (about 5x5 in size) near her colony that she completely choked with cannon galleons. It was hilarious but ultimately ineffective because it was pretty easy for troops to get closer than the minimum range and just pelt them with arrows.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Get a newer operating system. It's a game that was released for contemporary systems in 2013. Windows XP is almost 15 years old.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ronya posted:

I'm running Windows 7. It's just that one of their selling points is "look guys, it works on XP!" and it actually is wholly incapable of running on XP, at least in its present state :v:

Deakul posted:

The issue being that they said they support Windows XP right in the system reqs and now that we can play it, it turns out that that's a farce.

Well this I wasn't aware of :psyduck:

The game works fine on my laptop with a lovely Intel HD graphics. The only problem I have is that there's a bit of mouse lag when drag-selecting or placing buildings. Annoying, but not terribly so. The launcher is poo poo, but I don't have much issue with it aside from the fact that it's ugly. Really my only beef with the game is that it uses just the Conquerors' soundtrack instead of both it and the Age of Kings soundtrack.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I don't even get why they changed the fire and farm sprites. I'm not that bothered by it, but the older ones did seem a little more fitting. The new sprites look kind of... plastic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just discovered they brought back right-click screen panning (which was used in AoE1, but dropped in the sequel for some reason). Everything wrong with the game is immediately trumped by this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EasternBronze posted:

Goths are easily one of my favorite civs.

I could never imagine ever liking the one and only civilization that can't build walls :gonk:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My favorite civs are either the Byzantines or the Persians. I like to play defensively and it takes an army of siege weapons to get through any of the Byzantine buildings at later ages, especially fortified walls.

I like the Persians because of elite war elephants :getin:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone have any good tips for just starting up on a new map? I usually like to play random maps against the CPU (grad school means that being able to save and quit whenever you want without making anyone mad is a must) but I'll be damned if I can have any fun. AI players are complete sissies on standard difficulty while I can't seem to keep up with them on moderate (the next difficulty up). What am I doing wrong?

I know the general advice is "H, C, C, C, C...", but that's really only effective if you have enough food (or, likewise, wood for houses if you aren't Huns). I grab food and wood as fast as I can and keep making villagers to get me more food and wood, but in the end the CPU players' scores are always ahead of me and they reach new ages before I do and they often end up killing me before I can get a decent army off the ground.

How do you guys manage to play on difficulties higher than that?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I find the 75 population limit a little too small as well. 100 to 125 is comfortable for me. I had a lot of problems managing anything more than that as a kid, though I could probably be better at it now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fano posted:

I imagine corn is what they're farming, and farms are basically your only source of food in the late game.

But a steak is the universal symbol of food :colbert:

I remember in AoE1 your hunters would bring back these gigantic ribeyes that was about twice their size. It doesn't matter if they were hunting gazelles or elephants, they'll still bring back these 200lb steaks from them. If I remember right, the one exception is fishing, in which your fishermen will bring back 6' long fish :haw:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fano posted:

There are dark age builds that have been very standardized throughout the years, I suggest watching some tutorials videos on youtube showing off how each build works, here's a starting point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtukDHXy9GU

To me, part of the fun in playing campaigns is working around the low pop limit, otherwise the only strategy in every scenario would be to boom up a massive army at 200/500 and roll over all your opponents. With 75/100 max population you really have to conserve your units since you won't be able to sustain a push for long with your low villager count.

I gave this a shot, and I still am seemingly incapable of keeping up. I can easily beat two standard CPUs by myself but my girlfriend and I (we're both about just as skilled) just teamed up against one moderate CPU and nearly got our asses handed to us a million times. Once we gained steam we reached the Imperial age and completely ripped them apart. The skill scaling in this game has always been broken as hell :psyduck:

If only there was a difficulty setting between moderate and standard :sigh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

This isn't how you play against AI - you can simcity heavily against pretty much all the AIs and win handily. That's only for playing against people (who will rush much faster/smarter than the AI).

So wait, you're saying that the AI is less aggressive and less intelligent than human players, but a strategy that works against human players will cause you to lose against AI?

That doesn't make any sense.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If you can't pull it off well you're gonna lose

Ah, I see what you're saying. It works if done right, but against a competent human player I would have done even worse.

and it's much easier to simcity than it is to get your build order down proper.

Can you explain what this means? Just wall up and gather resources, defending against the occasional raid attempt, then finally swamp them with a surge of military units?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Flying Fish posted:

The ai cheats resources at certain points in the game on any difficulty above standard. Probably why all these people moving up from standard are wondering why they can't keep up with the AI.

Wow that is some outright bullshit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Orv posted:

It's also pretty much how RTS AI works then, now and forever. :raise:

It is? Why is that? Age of Empires is really the only RTS I could ever get into so I haven't really noticed this in other games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Koramei posted:

Sometimes work. I tried a whole bunch of fixes but all of them stopped working after a number of games.

That's odd because killing Explorer should be the fix that works 100% of the time. Doesn't UserPatch resolve this, though?

Speaking of things almost working: Steam Workshop mods for this game are either hit or miss. Thankfully you can install the ones you want manually, but it's more of a hassle seeing as they're all on Mediafire which has impossible-to-parse CAPTCHAs. :argh:

Oh well, finally got my old cliffs and combined AoK and Conquerors soundtrack :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

We started up a friends-only match last night and a bunch of pubbies were able to join. Has anyone encountered that before?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Obliterati posted:

I've had this. They just show up in the lobby like normal.

By that you mean the "friends" games show up in the public games list?

v Ah, that's good to know then.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 13, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did they also update the Koreans' ridiculous looking horse tank land units?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can someone clear up what exactly a Team Bonus is? I get that you have to be on a team in order for you to get it, but does your civilization get it, or theirs, or both?

Let's say I'm playing as the Chinese (team bonus: farms +45 food). Do my farms get the extra food? Or do the farms of both me and my teammate(s)? Do both of us have to be Chinese to get the bonus?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ShadowHawk posted:

How to play Age of Kings a lot better:

Great advice. The food information and "spend little time in the Feudal Age" advice is something I'll keep in mind when playing my next game. Could you explain exactly what you mean by this, though:

ShadowHawk posted:

Age of Kings has an exponential economy, but only after Castle Age.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ronya posted:

- the AI likes to target the tower that starts shooting them first, even if they have to walk past ten other towers and an army to do it. So you can defend chokepoints that are very far apart pretty well, by just ensuring that the AI thinks there's a route to the tower elsewhere. It will turn up at your minimally defended chokepoint, get shot once, and promptly turn around and march halfway across the map to the waiting jaws of your virtual Helm's Deep. Don't make the mistake of sealing your entire base, it means that the direction of AI attacks can become hard to control

Not entirely sure what you mean by the tower advice, but I have seen the "don't seal your entire camp!" advice before. What's up with that? Does the AI only attack your walls if there isn't an opening?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ronya posted:

only works for lone trees, forest-terrain trees require you to fully chop all the wood

I literally discovered this just a few hours ago :sigh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Seige Rams are my #1 most favorite unit for infantry-focused civilizations. They can take one hell of a pounding, and stuffing them full of infantry is so satisfying because once they finally get taken down a bunch of soldiers start pouring out of them and slaughter whatever killed the ram :black101:

Seige Rams are expensive to research, but they are very worth it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 18, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Koramei posted:

Shuttling dudes into the middle of the enemy's lines actually sounds like a fantastic use for them, I think I'll try that later.

It also has the added bonus of cheesing around the unit selection limit!

If you play as Celts, you are playing them wrong if you don't put every single one of your foot soldiers (Woad Raiders especially) into siege rams.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

simosimo posted:

Speaking of economy. I really like pulling a simcity with aoe2. Combat is just a necessity with this game.

What are some other stat games which feature heavily on resources and trading/economy but without the threat of being attacked?

My friend always recommends anno but I've never gotten around to them.

There are also economy-based game types in AoE2 (such as the Wonder Race), but they aren't really the greatest thing. Problem is you're likely on your own if you want to play against others anyway because the community is mostly focused on combat.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Those of you who would rather play AoE2 SimCity style should probably check out the Stronghold games, which had recent HD re-releases on GOG.com. They both have both combat- and economics-oriented play, but the game places a way bigger focus on economics and have both military and economic campaigns. I think Crusader (the sequel) is a little more military-focused, but still not so much as AoE. I never played it yet though, so I'm not certain.

I like playing them when I don't feel like putting too much brainpower into my medieval-themed RTS cravings.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/stronghold
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/stronghold_crusader

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:aaa: That was a far more comprehensive post than I could ever ask for. Thanks for this!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Verviticus posted:

Is there some way to quickly produce a lot of units across a lot of buildings? In a lot of games I'll end up with just fucktons of wood and not a lot of gold so I'll make a bunch of archery ranges for skirmishers but even if I select all of them, only one building actually produces units instead of splitting the order up amongst them.

Are you making production queues at each individual building?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

C-Euro posted:

What advantage does the Throwing Axeman have, being an infantry unit with a ranged attack?

They have ranged attacks, but they're still classified as melee attacks. This makes them pretty good against things with piercing resistance that archers can't really damage much. They also have a good attack bonus against buildings.

I don't care much for Franks, so I don't know much about them, but it seems the utility for axemen is mostly defensive (e.g. they can kill battering rams and other melee units from behind a wall or gate.)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 25, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How dare anyone make a game more accessible by fixing old UI limitations? How dare they!? :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Boy I sure hope they don't fix up that old netcode. It might make the game too easy! :smuggo:

Anyway, last night I tried to play a game with my friend, but we ran into problems with version compatibility. When the 2.1 patch entered beta I opted into it, but for whatever reason my game failed to update after it was fully released. Anyone else run into this problem? The only thing that fixed it was un/reinstalling the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Koramei posted:

Verifying the game files should fix most issues; I haven't had the patch one specifically. That said, it's like what, 100 mb? Not too hard to reinstall it.

I haven't thought of verifying the files :downs:. I'll keep that in mind next time. Reinstalling it wasn't much issue anyway (it's about 1.2GB, by the way).

• Locked thread