Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

darealkooky posted:

As long as I can still type in numbers to make obnoxious sound clips of microsoft employes saying stuff play, this is a day 1 buy.

Nice town, I'll take it.

Very underutilized, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wonder if this is going to come with those weird replays that the devs made and narrated through the in-game chat system to teach you how to play. Those were really awesome but I never managed to find them again after I lost those versions of the disks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ceyton posted:

Any info on whether this will require GFWL?

Steamworks matchmaking and multiplayer services.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Dark Wind posted:

It'd be awesome if they gave Rise of Rome an HD makeover as well, like 2 days ago I was reminiscing about how fun it was to play RoR online. I remember hopping onto Zone and playing for hours. The client was buggy as poo poo but I had tons of fun along the way. I was also halfway competent at it compared to AoEII, which usually kicked my rear end.

I was so consumed by my previous post that I just grabbed a thing from Amazon which is AoE1+RoR and AoE2+TC for $10. But it's apparently from Ubisoft. :psyduck: It'll be nice to have the disks around again though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Is anyone even putting GFWL in their games anymore? The last one I can recall using it was Dark Souls and that was most likely because FROM didn't know any better.

That was mostly because the similarity in architecture between LIVE and GFWL was such that their inexperienced PC team didn't have to code a new server system and it could run off Microsofts stuff. They won't even be using GFWL for Dark Souls 2, and pretty much everyone else has stopped as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Definitive answer on GFWL

Is there DRM?

Age of Empires 2: HD Edition uses only the Steam service for license management. Games for Windows LIVE is not required.

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Well if its anything like I remember the best strat is to pick Briton, build longbowmen, then kite everything until you win.

And then your longbows get run over by a hundred Cataphracts. Or Huskarls, if you're playing them for some ungodly reason.

Orv
May 4, 2011
AFAIK it's just the gold masters of the game, patched. No HD remake. Still, good news.

Orv
May 4, 2011
New pop cap of 500 in multiplayer. :stare:

E: Devs just blatantly cheating with robin hood to get 500 pop of scorpions. :allears:

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 19, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dave Mustard posted:

I'm so loving EXCITED YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

And I just can't WOLOLOLO.

So Steam matchmaking allows you to set:
- Team size
- Game type (Random Map, Deathmatch, etc)
- Civ

Pretty much every texture in the game is modifiable, and it's hooked seamlessly into Steam workshop. I can't wait for the Alpha Centauri TC.

Palm trees still too small. :smith:

Multiplayer max pop cap of 500, with settings all the way from 75 to 500. Probably 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, etc etc etc.

Multimonitor support. UI stretches across all monitors to balance larger view distance.

Daut vs Viper show matches starting/on March 28th. They're two big names in AoE2 competitive, if you give a poo poo.

And now Kingdom of Heaven is on so someone else is going to have to tell you the rest.

Orv
May 4, 2011
He's clicking like he's playing Starcraft or something, I'm not sure what's up with that, it's not necessary. You can survive on pretty low APM (ugh) in AoE2 as long as you're consistently doing something.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stephen Rippy's work is just instantly recognizable no matter how long it's been since you've heard it. I love the soundtracks for the Age games. I started making dumb noises to approximate the music from the Aztec campaign when I played it yesterday. Hell, I even remembered all the briefings verbatim.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 19, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Dark Wind posted:

Speaking of crazy scenarios, would anybody be willing to play some of those? There were a couple of absolutely amazing multiplayer scenarios that had something in the number of 1000+ triggers and it's clear an insane amount of work went into them, yet I never got to enjoy them with other people, the way they were meant to be played.

If you want to play Monopoly Age of scenarios, I am in.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I imagine it's going to be a real finicky balancing act to have enough villagers to handle ~200 pop of soldiers and still be able to command those soldiers and churn out enough resources to keep them supplied.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 20, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would hope that the matchmaking system is running off 200 pop.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Re: AoE2 & Windows 7.

If you create a Notepad file and put this into it:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\aoe2x10cp]
"Name"="age2_x1.exe"
"ID"=hex:EC,33,74,3B
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00

And save it as putyourwordshere.reg, then run it, it will fix the red/green grass and purple water problems.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 20, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd vote an upresed, reanimated version of AoM first.

Orv
May 4, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Antiquity motherfuckers.

AoE2 is AoE1 but without the shittier problems, why would you remake 1?!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Man, gently caress the Romans! Everyone's always going on about Rome this, and Rome that! What did Rome ever do, huh!? poo poo itself repeatedly over a bunch of drunk Germans, that's what.

(I would not say no to an AoE 1 remake.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sober posted:

I find it interesting that resources have moved from finite to infinite with (at least I started noticing) RoN doing it (I assume TA did it earlier?) and just meant the game could go on as long as it needed. Then Relic started doing it to. I'm not quite sure the point I'm trying to make here except Starcraft still does finite resources while everyone else seems to be going the way of infinite resources with a rate instead.

To be fair Starcraft is still basically a 1999 RTS with some nice modern polish. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, considering how I'm salivating over AoE2.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 21, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bronze has it right as well. As much as I love some good low-level tactics play, AoE doesn't need to be turned into Starcraft to be fun or skillful, so don't waste your time with "1v1 ARABIA ME FUCKFACE" people. Unfortunately they actually exist, but we may have enough goons to never run into them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:colbert: Read anything on the game damnit.

Matchmaking and multiplayer connectivity will be handled through Steam, no word on FE. (FE is poo poo besides.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Both! Sort of.

It'll have behind-the-scenes ELO matchmaking where you select team size (1v1, 2v2 or FFA), game type (RM, TRM, DM, Regicide, KotH, Wonder Race and Defend the Wonder) and your civilization, and off you go.

It will also have a lobby browser with filters for all sorts of things, where you can host any of the established game types, or scenarios, or what have you.

You can see the traditional in-lobby lobby here. (If you rewind about thirty seconds you can see him invite someone via Steam, and it autoloads into that lobby with whomever you invite.)

The lobby browser here.

And the ELO/Quick Match function is here.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You could try the client.blob trick, or the "delete everything but the steamapps folder and the steam.exe" trick, and if those don't fix it it should fix itself on release.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Because scenarios are for small, weak babymens. :colbert:

(I shot them a tweet to ask about the possibility.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

I'm getting a little wary about my purchase of the HD edition now after reading about this seemingly godlike patch that's coming out in 5 days.

http://www.aoczone.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86486&sid=d2ab58fdd13c579ad57095f17038d886

I really hope that the HD edition includes all of these adjustments.

90% of them, I believe.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Steam is usually okay with .exe editing but it's also a game by game basis, so I couldn't say.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

This is the first I've heard of Forgotten Empires and the idea of additional civs to choose from (and new building sets!) excited me, and then the first reponse to that I see is dismissive of FE. What's the issue with Forgotten Empires?

The civilizations, at least last I played it maybe it's been rectified, were both hideously unbalanced, and just hideous. The Italian buildings are particular eyesores. There are also a few unnecessary changes they made for the sake of "professional balance".

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jesto posted:

So I decided to look up information the game and...

I'm pretty sure they just worded it poorly and mean you can invite Steam friends directly into games. I have no idea why they wouldn't allow public custom games, with or without a filter.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just found out yesterday that ESO for Age of Mythology has finally gone down for good. :smith:

Might do an LP of it to send it out, since it has probably the best campaign of any RTS I've played.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You can now pre-load it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
10AM PST apparently is the launch window. Also apparently the show match they did on March 28th was a complete buggy shitshow, so maybe this game is bumjumped. Guess we'll see.

Orv
May 4, 2011

simosimo posted:

Just got this now, so when do we get our hands on it today?

I will loving hurt you. Look up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Do we have enough people to try and get a goon game going in a bit here? Say half an hour, 1PM PST/4PM EST/8PM GMT. Congregate on CTS.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've got a channel up in CTS if we want to give this a shot. I'm going to just idle in there for a while and if enough people show up we'll see just how much of a shitshow this is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I tried to say something when you joined but I am neck deep in bronchitis (heh) and have very little voice. Maybe I wasn't the best choice to organize this! :downs: Still, a couple more people would be great.

E: Need one more at least!

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 5, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
Who has forgotten how to play AoE2? Dis guy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I remember all that, I just didn't keep villie production up and subsequently got rolled. I'll get back into it soon enough, and especially once I don't feel like poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

President Ark posted:

Either the Goths or the Teutons, depending on whether I feel like being a turtle or a warmonger.

I checked - goth barracks take 3% of the time it takes other civs to build infantry. I'm pretty sure they build units other than their UU in under one second.

And they can build palisades, so what you want to do defensively is place palisades covering all approaches but one and then rally all your production buildings into that spot. Put some archers and guard towers along the palisades to discourage attacking from those angles.

Hilariously the reason I love the Goths is they can build their Castle UU (the Huskarl) from the barracks. Which means I can just cover the front line in barracks and swamp the field with Champions and Huskarls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
You can shift build but it won't queue, they'll build the last one you put down and build any other nearby buildings, then go idle.

• Locked thread