Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shas
Jul 27, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Wait that was a thing? The only bugs I ever saw were dudes getting stuck halfway up cliffs and ships sailing blithely over sandbars, and I played the hell out of that game. Multiplayer was another story. Even when it was relatively new it could be impossible to make work. I remember spending the better part of an afternoon trying to LAN two computers in the same room to no avail.

Networking computers together to play AoE2 was a nightmare, and if the remake added nothing but decent multiplayer support I would still buy it. As I remember, this is what we found from experimenting with networking:

First off, all machines had to be Vista or earlier, or Windows 7. Attempting to mix Windows 7 machines with earlier ones would result in it not working! I believe this has something to do with the removal of IPX from Win7, but it's been a while since I looked this up and can't find the exact source for this. (Also, Hamachi does nothing for attempting to fix this problem).

The only way my friends and I managed to get it working was by finding a spare router, plugging into that, then disabling wireless. I don't know why, but it wouldn't work with wireless turned on. Then there was the fun of killing explorer.exe to fix the colours.

I can't wait for the remake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread