Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Dark Wind posted:

This is beyond awesome. This is the game that got me into computers. I remember spending a lot of time on scenario designing and playing some of the jaw dropping incredible campaigns that other people made. I really hope you can play custom scenarios and campaigns on this new version. Someone else linked to aok.heavengames.com, if you still have the old CDs, you guys should check out the campaigns by Ingo van Thiel. The work that went into some of them is extremely impressive.

The trailer mentioned Steam Workshop support, so it may be possible. It probably is a matter of how easy it is to port old campaigns and if there is anyone willing (or around for that matter) to do the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ronya posted:

It's a buggy (pre-)release by a team that is basically 20%-timing this, if you will. Hidden Path is more known for their work on Defence Grid and collaborations with Valve on CS:S, CS:GO, etc.

That seems to be a rather reductionist statement at best. Yes, they probably do not have all their guys working on it, all the time, but they probably do have a few guys that do, who are being PAID to do so. I mean, in a full day, does it make sense to dedicate only X hours to one project, then dump it for the next project til the next day, or to allocate resources to work on it full time? All other indications seem to say that they are serious about the game.

That said, I do not buy the 'It is not released yet' argument. If they said it was a beta, that is one thing, but they said it was a early release, and we should expect release quality from that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ronya posted:

The work appears to have been done by the remnants of Ensemble scattered across Hidden Path, Microsoft, and Gas Powered Games, driven solely by enthusiasm of select employees. I am not sure why you see 'seriousness' about the game - none of the three are going to invest any real amount into it, not for a re-release of uncertain sales at best.

If sales are uncertain, why even greenlight it at all? I do not think they would make this game if they weren't even halfway serious. But you are right, as a whole, those three companies would consider the game a blip. But the corporate hivemind isn't programming and maintaining the game, it is the people who are actually working on the damned game. And, assuming they do have enthusiasm, they can do just as well as any dedicated modder, if not better.

Still, it is way too early to tell, albeit with an admitably bad start that they should be taken to task to.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 6, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Uh, sorry, I am absolutely terrible at adding thoughts in edits.

I guess all I am saying is that we should measure the support behind the game by the dedication of the team behind it. And at the very least, this one acknowledged the initial issues, which is in my book a good sign. Sorry for the dumb internet argument :shobon:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ronya posted:

e: look, here are all the bugs that a truly crazed fan managed to fix without access to source. It's frothing crazy assembly hacks to get all that to work. And these bugs are still unfixed in HD.

When you follow the posts by ES_MattP, or MS_Ryz0n, the barrier is not "what polish can we put in?" but "how can we talk the hivemind into letting us do this at all?" And the hivemind doesn't care about fine-tuned polish, it cares about ticking the boxes to chase that mysteriously successful digital archive re-release monies. Fixing the goddamn boar-hunting AI doesn't count. Adding in "HD graphics" counts, even if polished resolution patches were already rolling off the fan-mod production lines about a year ago (seriously - they started out horrendously ugly). That's why their sales points keep screaming "high resolution! High resolution!" as if you can't get that for free through existing fan mods, when the actual revolution the HPE team pulled off was overhauling the entire terrain engine.

I sense me and you have different definitions on what constitutes this as a buggy release. To me, it is the FPS, startup, and other issues mentioned in the thread. And from what I gather from his, you are talking about all the bugs that were never fixed by official patches, the fixes for which are now locked out to boot. Which is very valid!

I do apologize if I am being the jerk here and putting words in your mouth (At risk of sounding passive aggressive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ronya posted:

Oh, I am referring to the FPS etc. issues. If you grabbed the fan patches when they were just first published two years ago, it would've been this buggy as well. I'm just invoking the earlier battery of bugs that 1.0c had to illustrate that the team isn't really setting out to polish, at least not yet.

They don't have a QA process that extends beyond "occasionally run dev builds on the machines of friends and families", or they would've noticed that that that launcher doesn't run on Windows XP much, much earlier. There are no dedicated testbed machines etc.

Fair enough :) I guess we can only hope things go up from here, for what it is worth. I am enjoying the game so far, at least.

• Locked thread