Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
FoodforThought
Mar 9, 2013

There are a lot of threads out there about food/nutrition/dieting and I think it will forever be a hot topic. I have a bachelor's degree in Food Science and Technology and a Master's degree in Food Microbiology and I'm currently working in a manufacturing plant for a major global food company (trust me, 9 out of 10 people have eaten something we make). Safe to say I know a fair bit about processed food, so-called "chemicals" in food, as well as food-borne illness (my specialty is Listeria... feel like some ham from Maple Leaf anyone?) and a smattering of information about nutrition and food safety, especially in relation to processed food and diets. I graduated from my Masters less than 2 years ago and received the Medal in Food Science (top grade) for my undergraduate degree. Having not been out of school long a lot of the information I have is very current and fresh in my mind.

Questions I know some answers to include:
How do you avoid getting E. coli?
Why is the chance of getting Salmonella from raw egg astronomically higher in the States than in Canada?
What is High-Fructose Corn Syrup, why do people use it, and what are some of it's negative effects?
MSG is evil and bad for you! Aspartame is evil and bad for you! Isn't it??
Diet programs that are damaging to your health/actually anorexia (juice cleanse anyone?)
Exactly what goes on in my body after consuming lots of alcohol that causes me to feel hungover??
Is this item of food safe to eat or will I get sick?
I ate _________ and got sick. What type of bacteria should I be hating now?

Any questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?

I really enjoy Potted Meat Food Product. am I going to die?

breathstealer
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus

How many horses have I eaten?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 11, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

We actually have a thread going on for this over here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3536737

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

Creepy Albino Ghoulie

I WILL CONSTANTLY
DICK RIDE GHOST,
POSTING SHIT NO ONE
GIVES A FUCK ABOUT.

No offense to any albino people meant, but this guy sucks Ghost's dick nonstop like some Boo Radley motherfucker.

I was looking at perusing a Food Science degree, any guidance or details on that ? My biggest concern is I never took chemistry in High School and haven't touched a math book in 11 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

We actually have a thread going on for this over here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3536737

Yep. Go there. Also, lurk more probably.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I was looking at perusing a Food Science degree, any guidance or details on that ? My biggest concern is I never took chemistry in High School and haven't touched a math book in 11 years.

You mean pursuing, not perusing, so that's a start.