Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

I'll second this, first thing I bought with my new Credit Card because PayPal wasn't enabled until recently. Can't wait to play this game, I hope they really use the extra money to make it a huge and in-depth game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

advion posted:

Probably EMT/Paramedic fetish.

We usually dont buy our wheels. Also those boots are quite impractical.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Nothingman posted:

the tires are for my personal truck. what boots would you have suggested?

Something a bit shorter, those are going to be a pain when kneeling down, at least for me they would be.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

b0nes posted:

And funded this.

What is it?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

CrackSpider posted:

My late-2008 Macbook Pro is on its last legs so I'm building a new computer (Hackintosh) :neckbeard:

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter

GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SeaSonic X Series 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express Video Card

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

And my boyfriend is giving me a case he has already.

ETA on all the parts is Wednesday I'm so excited get here faster please! :choco:

Fair warning about that gigabyte motherboard: Needs the latest non beta bios flashed and does weird poo poo sometimes. Like i cant use bios or boot options while my gpu and keyboard are plugged in. If i use another keyboard it works fine. Worked before tho.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

carnivaljunkie posted:

Bought these shoes today. I'll admit it - they aren't the hippest thing to ever happen to feet, but I work in the operating room every day and my feet and legs are starting to suffer for it. Everyone seems to recommend these shoes so here's hoping my $100+ weren't wasted.

Did you check if these are static electricity safe? Crocs are an extreme danger to patients for this reason.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Gorilla Salad posted:

I wear leather crocs in the lab and they're brutal for building up static. But after working for far too many years on my feet, I'd take a nasty shock a few times a day over the agony that used to be my feet, calves and knees.

Of course, I don't have to worry about accidentally killing a patient :shrug:

I might give these Dansko clogs a look-see.

Yeah uhm it's basically manslaughter to wear plastic crocs in an OR as an assistant or doctor or anything. Just imagine some OR assistant handing a fully charged scalpel over to the surgeon who is wearing completely isolating gloves.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DrBouvenstein posted:

What? I've never heard of anything like that. The amount of static charge that will build up on that scalpel is tiny. And those gloves aren't really isolated, either. Odds are if the assistant/nurse builds up a charge, it would go to the doctor and shock him.

I mean...if both the assistant and surgeon are totally isolated from ground, then yeah, the charge could go to the patient, but so what? Electrical surgical units send potentially hundreds of of watts of electricity directly to a patient on purpose, a little static shock isn't going to hurt them.

I did a little searching, and I found some articles from 2007/2008 about some hospitals banning them because of a few incidents where they think static buildup from wearing Crocs caused medical equipment to get "knocked out." Nothing to do with a "charged scalpel" killing someone, and even in those articles, it didn't say anyone died.

And even beyond that, I have my doubts the static electricity had anything to do with it. I'm a biomedical technician. I work on medical equipment. The odds of a small static charge somehow shutting down a ventilator or other vital piece of equipment is vanishingly small.

However, the traditional-style Crocs shouldn't be worn in hospitals anyway because even the ones that are "closed tow," are still open heel. But the ones carnivaljunkie posted seem fine.

And did I miss something? How do we know the'r Crocs? She didn't' say they were, and I've never seen Crocs that look like that, or cost $100. They look more like Danskos.

I never said they were crocs, I just asked if she checked on static electricity properties of them, because it is a known fact that crocs are horrible in that department and for that reason are banned. I couldn't tell you the specifics which exact things make static electricity so dangerous to patients, but I know that every hospital I ever worked with had strict policies for it, and I know the general danger static electricity poses.

And seriously, working in a field of life and death, I find your statement of "a little static shock isn't going to hurt them" highly disturbing, because even the most basic knowledge about electricity should tell you that there is a serious threat to both medical devices (not really since they are built to standards to prevent this, so no medical personnel should possibly do damage to them with normal use) and especially exposed organs. A medical device sending WATTS(???) through specific areas is not the same as uncontrolled discharges to vital organs or similar fatal occurences.
No one died yet? Well good I guess it can't happen in the future!

Also I never heard about open heels being a risk to personnel or patient.

Edit:
The charged scalpel was just a possiblity i thought of, I admit it's not perfect but I think it still carries the main point here.

Patient safety is the most important thing and should never be taken lightly, even if it's "just" about comfortable/stylish shoes.

SEKCobra has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Apr 17, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Geoj posted:

There are still hospitals that ban the use of cell phones because way back in the day analog cell technology had the potential to interfere with medical equipment.

Just because they have a policy doesn't mean that its founded on logic.

Actually cell phones inside an OR are going to interfere with intrusive devices because shielding isn't possible. The global ban insdie hospitals (which I have never seen in Europe, only a "be quiet" sorta signage) is ofcourse silly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Shiftypenguin posted:

Tickets to this:

David loving Byrne... In Iowa. For $30. Can't pass that up.

And these:

Yes, all seasons 1 through 7.1.

Oh man, I've been looking for a good collection for Doctor Who and Torchwood for a while, but I still haven't found one around here.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Henchman 21 posted:

Bought a portable Death Star

Those nasties in my fish tank don't stand a chance! 1.5+w 445nm laser with 2 pairs of goggles, batteries and charger.

What do you mean by nasties? That sounds an awful lot like you want to burn your fish.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Astrobastard posted:

Awesome new bag from Dealextreme -

vvv Comes with 2 removable padded-velcro bags with drawstring tops for DSLR camera stuff, it's difficult to capture how many pockets this thing has.

http://dx.com/p/multi-pocket-oxford-cloth-bag-with-compass-for-10-laptop-dslr-camera-khaki-57511

$32 with free worldwide shipping. It just takes 1-2 months to arrive from China

Its probably gonna rip easily and get the insides wet when it's drizzling.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Wassup burglar buddy :ninja::respek::ninja:

You should get this too, it's quite helpful to start (or you can make one yourself with a metal saw, but these allow you to change the pins easily)

Where would you get that?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

ten_twentyfour posted:

I just picked up my first couple R/C helicopters this weekend. While I was there the guy tried selling me one of these, they are really freakin' cool and also very tiny, so great for indoor use. They also have a slightly more expensive, slightly larger version that has a video camera attached to it. Cool stuff and super stable/easy to fly.

I would get one but 5 minutes of airtime just aint enough.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Slavery and Child Labor are illegal dude!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

kloa posted:

I think you meant 12MB/sec but close enough.

He specifically said Mbit

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I wish they had one of those for the Note 1

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So is it a car crashing simulator? The physics look cool, but I can't tell if there's a point to it other than realistic crashes.

It's an Alpha.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I get that, which is why I'm asking. Is it going to be a racing game? The car selection doesn't seem like what one would expect from that.

You could answer that with my previous answer again. There are going to be more cars. There's going to be derbies, races, police chases and whatever else they come up with.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

beato posted:

I just figured it was a car game which is literally just about driving, no goals, just drive.

Right now it's not about driving, it's about rapid stopping.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Chroisman posted:

Sorry if I'm being too vague but they feel like an "average" tightness to me. Like I wouldn't call it tight, but I wouldn't call it loose either. If you go to the Icebreaker clothing website, the picture of the model wearing the shirt is a fairly good approximation of how it feels, and also (something many companies should do) the Icebreaker website gives you basic measurements of the model, and what size shirt he is wearing in the picture.

Recent purchase:

The Reign of Kindo is a great band, I don't know how to label their genre but it is sort of like jazz rock with a latin flair. I bought their newest CD, Play With Fire.

Unfortunately, it came like this:

Guess I won't be listening to cool new music tonight :(.

I like that "We Care message". I don't give a gently caress, you broke it, you get to pay for it. At least that's how it works here, and anything else would be ridiculous.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
It is without a doubt a telescopic baton with an odd clip.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Pron on VHS posted:

There is a Breaking Bad Lego set or has their patent run out?

Their patent ran out a long time ago. I think they still have minifigs, or at least no one has remade them as far as I know. But there always were things like Brickarms for custom things, and specially printed stuff has always existed as well. Just expensive as gently caress.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Bucket Joneses posted:

Without clicking this I immediately thought of some kind of e-dating site for redditors and then I got sick.

I thought it was a fuckbook for redditors and got sick immediately.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, that was a HUGE thing back in the day. It was really prevalent before Ma Bell was broke up, but it still existed even after. I don't know if it was purely based off of the cost of phones in the old days, or if Bell just bought almost every single one, but you basically HAD to rent a phone from them. It was probably a reasonable charge, akin to renting your cable modem today. But then years later you could buy a phone for :20bux:, but so many people just kept the existing ones, because they worked fine, at this point just completely forgetting they were getting charged for them.

I remember reading a story, no idea of the validity of it, of an elderly woman who had lived at the same address, same phone number, same rented phone for decades and decades, even into the 21st century, and that rental cost was STILL on her phone bill.

Ahh, here we go.

And that's just since the mid-80's...imagine leasing a phone or two at the same place for even longer ,say starting in the 60's! :psyduck:

I can chip in on this, my grandmother is still charged for her phone (which she shouldn't be, since she finally get rid of it a few years back), and the reason you had to rent them isn't the cost, it wasn't so bad back then either. The reason was because no one but the telecom companies were allowed to have them or something like that.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Mighty wrong thread.

SEKCobra has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Aug 15, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Wow that video is funny.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

A Sober Irishman posted:

(Just the body). A piece of SD card broke off in my 450D and I was going on holiday and I just got my tax money back and who wants a 5 year old camera and wouldn't shooting HD movies be great and won't getting it repaired be a hassle? Oh well I guess I'll just buy a new camera body instead.

Don't judge me. Loving it so far, got some nice shots over the weekend with it already!

My 650D with the stock lens cost the same as the body alone, I thought this was true for all of them?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

What's your problem? I already said I'm in the UK so posting the UK based site that I bought it from is not gonna be of any help to him.

(You could still post it for people from the UK, but I agree that it wouldn't help him ;))

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Trastion posted:

I think someone was drinking already when they put those on the shelf there as they numbers are all over the place. Or is that how advent calendars work?

You are supposed to look for the number every day...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Someone posted a "Frozen" mug in this thread, I can't find it anywhere in the EU, so I'd like to know where to buy it in the US.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Gedt posted:

Pair of Doc Martens 1460 for the coming winter.

But they don't protect you from the cold or are particullary good on ice. I don't get it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Got some Christmas shopping done!

Where do you get that Kerbal?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

rotaryfun posted:

Actually that 4 channel has nothing to do with the radio. 4 channel is the different control surfaces you have control of (aileron, elevator, throttle, rudder). This model runs with 2.4 ghz radios and binds to the specific controller on start up.

You'll also see 3 channel which is elevator, throttle, and rudder.

You're thinking of IR radios that work based on line of sight. Thanks for looking out though!

No he is right, a lot of cheap toys only use a single frequency and therefore you can't use them anywhere near each other.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Wow that car looks awesome.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

CaseFace McGee posted:

Make sure you check it at least every other day, if not daily, until you know how long it retains moisture - if you leave it in for too long without adding water, it will stuck the moisture back out of the wood. I learned that with the Dampit in my upright bass. Turns out that needed to be moistened daily during the winter at my college's storage cage :v:

Wont this potentially foster mold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
No bluetooth? So you basically only upgraded to the bronze

• Locked thread