Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

If the squirrels figure out a way to get these seeds, that copper roof will be mighty convenient when I add electricity.

See goons. This is what happens. 10 years ago, I'd say things like, "Let's get drunk and get in fights whooooo!" and now I say things like, "We really need a bird feeder out there on the big tree."

I bought a bird book too.

Help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
I bought two of these RC helicopters for $20 each. They're apparently ubiquitous and have mod communities and all that jazz.

And I bought some parts for when one of them inevitably loses an air battle.

And I got a bunch of tiny, rare earth magnets.

Assuming it's light enough, a magnet will be dangled from the helicopter using some fishing line. The other magnets (or paperclips) will be stuck to various objects. Most of the objects will be pictures of cats and zoo animals in precarious situations, like this sheep stuck on a cliff:

The magnets also may be attached to little bags full of lightweight snacks. These materiel will be used for human refueling.

I also got two pairs of child-sized safety glasses. One pair is the size of my head (which is the size of a small child) and the other pair are shooting glasses made for a child's head of normal child head size. I do have a full-face guard but that's probably overkill until we are cleared by HQ to commence helicopter ordinance testing.

In summary, screw video games. Let's play Choplifter for real and rescue some animals who are horribly stranded all over the couch, bookshelf, toy chests, chairs, creepy pony, dogs, and mom's sleeping head. They will be delivered to a nearby emergency field hospital, which formerly was a Playmobil farm that we suspected of being Vietcong sympathizers. The field hospital will hold a more powerful magnet. This will "capture" the payload so the helicopters can keep up the action and I don't have to move from an optimal beer-drinking position.

I will play Flight of the Valkyries and the theme song from MASH nonstop, and the dog's name is now "Radar." Do you hear me, dog? I am typing loudly at you. Okay fine. The snack bags may also contain dog snacks.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
I bought these 1x2 Legos in bulk:

My friend has a kid with a birthday coming up. They have patterned carpet in their house. The dad likes to walk around barefoot.

It's time for this child to learn the true power of Legos. (Of course I got him a real set, the clear ones are just a little bonus present).

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

alcyon posted:

And a human skull. A real one not a resin replica. Antique and in good condition, missing most teeth and has some gashes and sctatches, otherwise intact. Fairly dead though.

Not this one obviously, I don't want it GIS'ed. Gonna pick it up next week. Need to name it. Yorick seems a bit lame.

If it's female, call it Agent Skully. Then buy this and put their names on a little placard.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

OMGLOLetcetc posted:

Does....does that plug into a computer?

You can also change out the brush head and turn it into a hand blender, nose hair trimmer, keyboard vacuum, flashlight, or vibrator.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Bang3r posted:

So my previous post wherein I bought a Canon 5d Mark 3 and a 24-70mm 2.8 lens got me this!

(did not open the boxes till I got home, most likely stolen by someone working in the store before I picked it up)

So my next recent purchase will most likely be some form of legal advice wooo
:smith:

If you don't get your money back, I can see this going viral or at least getting a Consumerist article for the sheer insane novelty of it being a railroad spike.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Kidney Stone posted:

One of these for when going scouting/hiking:

It's a BioLite CampStove.

http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

Cool, but god drat is that price intimidating. Did you buy it because you saw it profiled in this month's Backpacker?

For those who don't know, it's a stove that charges your loving phone!

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

ViolaTer posted:

So you can only charge it whilst cooking and generating heat?

Yep, but it also uses the electricity generated to, in turn, power a fan that fuels the fire.

I'm interested, however, because I think that it would be allowed in fire-free parks even though it's technically a wood fire. It's sneaky, but if my hunch is true that rangers would consider this a stove rather than an open fire, it would double its value in my mind.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Oreo-0? Is that about some sort of cookie robot?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Just bought this hat going to wear it forever.

Is this for some sort of smooching competition? If so, why does it matter how much the kissers weigh? I bet the guy on the right is really good at kissing because his name is literally Sugar.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

bummer dude posted:

spent three bucks on this tie

Is that from a video game? I saw just the rabbit and thought mistakenly that it was the Oregon Trail hunting minigame. I would pay at least three dollars for an Oregon Trail hunting tie that features 6 tons of dead buffalo and squirrels on it.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Nereid posted:

Bank employee here telling you that our home mortgage system could probably run on a computer from 1985 no problem.

Wait a minute. So all this time, when movies have depicted bank hacking as if it's still 1985, they were just trying to be accurate? :psyduck:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Polidoro posted:

I just bought two cheap watches.

Timex Weekender (+ a couple extra straps)

Nixon Time Teller

Don't tell the watch thread how I live :ohdear:

This thread has made me realize my dream career: To become a professional watch photographer. Judging from all the photos I've seen, they only seem to work for about 10 minutes every day.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Nuclear Spy posted:

I suspect it is to recreate something like this:

That thing is cool, but unless you secure the top of the yellow bookcase to the wall or have the books stack so perfectly as to leave no space between shelves, the weight on it is going to make the whole shebang lean forward and bend like a donkey dick.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I avoid Sigg bottles because they put aluminum in the liners for some reason. Klean Kanteen just uses pure stainless steel.

What's wrong with aluminum?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
I'm going to become the most hated kindle kink sex author when I write a series of stories on shapeshifting dragons, wolves, and vampires and have them be complete prudes. Every chapter will have a near-miss sexual encounter where things start to get a bit hot with a lot of innuendo and then the shapeshifter and the bland human character just end up eating popcorn and watching Food Network.

I'll keep insinuating that the next book will finally feature some goddamn shapeshifter sex. At about the 8th book, the shapeshifter will finally lose its pants and be revealed to be like Odo from Star Trek, just a barbie doll between the legs and shiny like a ball of new silly putty. The shapeshifter will literally become two giant blue balls and roll off into the sunset, leaving behind tracks in the sand that say "gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you." because shapeshifters can do that.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

You'd think they'd write more about horses or donkeys... But nope.
I really want to see a shape shifting sloth book.

Why stop at animals?

*Shapeshifts into a tuna sandwich*

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

rockcity posted:

Just signed up for a four day long camping/survival/oceanic special ops excursion in May. I'm pretty excited. It's supposed to be a cross between the Navy Seals and Robinson Crusoe. I need to start training for distance swimming, the last day there is a two mile open water swim.

That sounds like a fun challenge. How much do you pay for something like that?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

mad.radhu posted:

Damnit. well we'll see I guess. does anyone make good wireless headphones around that price point? I thought I'd found a winner.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

By the same guy:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Full Circle posted:

Quick someone post something interesting and save us from this awful derail.

All I've bought recently is one of these:

There's nothing more satisfying than dropping an ice sphere into a Tom Collins glass, which is almost precisely the same diameter.

• Locked thread