Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like that trap, actually. It looks like the giant horde of dragon zombies is going to be the last thing you have to deal with, but surprise! Here they all come at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Chapter 5, Part 2: Final Dungeon Second Floor

The first floor's clear, so it's time for another jump.

The top row of pits leads to the second floor. One of the pits leads to the third floor, the rest go all the way to the bottom with a long hike back to the top.

Leaving the room starts the second battle of the final dungeon. We've got a couple slayers loose, with one starting right next to us, and a small cohort locked away behind another special gate.

The slayers are tough but we have a few super-units at this point and they won't be able to swarm us.

The gold knight here is one of the highest level units we've faced, with capped HP and stats that would be more impressive if we didn't have Alm and Dyute hitting upper 38 and 40 Power, respectively.

The two slayers on the upper left are co-bosses, with a very high Speed, but we actually have four units that can double-attack them (Dyute, Alm, Matilda, and whoever holds the Speed Ring).

It's been awhile since we've seen the bigle monster. It's fast but not very tough; however it can summon more copies of itself, each of which can in turn summon yet more copies. It'll get out of hand pretty quickly.

Turn 1

I'm not messing around this map. Dyute does 49 damage with one attack, slaying the slayer.

So this map has another gimmick. The special tile isn't a switch, but a teleporter that seems to activate only semi-randomly. In this case right after Dyute's initial attack.

In this case, we have plenty of units to pick off the ones that pop in outside the fort, as Python and Force demonstrate here.

I didn't realize this fact until later, but the red tiles outside the fort are the only possible destinations for the teleport tile. So by blocking the two red tiles outside the gate, I'm guaranteeing more slayers showing up near Dyute. Not a bad plan, if an unintentional one.

The northeast slayer heads towards Alm, while another slayer teleports out by Dyute.

And the bigle summons four more bigles, starting a rapid growth cycle.

Turn 2

Alm has quietly turned into quite the killing machine, wielding 38 Power with the Regal Sword on top of 24 Speed. That's more than enough attack strength to take out the slayer in one turn.

Meanwhile Dyute keeps on being Dyute.

Not really a whole lot that can be done until the gate comes down. Claire takes a shot with the Gladius at the next slayer in line for the teleporter, while Python harasses one of the bigles.

The gold knight goes after Claire for a solid strike, but Claire counters for 19 damage.

The teleporter activates but only after the slayer ended his turn there, so he's a sitting duck for Dyute next turn.

More bigles. Suddenly there are 13 of them.

Turn 3

Dyute gets a little closer as she has the Angel Ring instead of the Magic Ring now. Still the same result.

I don't think Dyute's levels really matter anymore.

Not much else happens this turn. Python takes out a bigle, and Claire weakens the gold knight a little more but can't finish it off.

Another sacrifice for Dyute.

Oh, wait. This one had the teleporter activate before moving, so he was free to go after Teeta.

Teeta has 17 Defense now. The slayer can barely touch her.

Up to 16 bigles now. I think they're hitting up against some unit limit for the map or there would probably be more by now.

Turn 4

And one of the slayer bosses goes down, with Dyute changing things up with the Aura spell this time.

Claire wipes out a bigle with an auto-crit due to her being a falcon knight attacking a monster.

After Claire's attack, the teleporter activates again, sending the second slayer boss out to the front gate for slaughter.

Python and Force are again up for the challenge.

Except Force misses his second attack. Oops.

Still plenty of help available for cleanup, and Alm does the honors this time with a crit.

So a gold knight boss, a damaged and healing slayer, and 15 bigles remain. No problem, right?

One problem - 13 of the bigles can reach Claire this turn. They do 4 damage each, not very much, but it adds up. Claire has 46 HP to start, so she can withstand only 11 attacks. And the bigles all die in their attacks, freeing up room for more of them to attack. Plus whatever the slayer and gold knight might do. Should've held Claire back a bit more so that only half or so of the bigle swarm could reach her.

The first four bigles all suicide on Claire, and now it's the slayer's turn. He does 10 damage across two attacks, which is the equivalent of another 3 bigles. Claire's down to 20 HP now, with another 9 bigles and the gold knight left to attack.

One bright side - the slayer is blocking the easiest access point to Claire, so some of the bigles can't reach her and summon more bigles instead. Eventually the bigle sitting right next to her joins the suicide brigade, freeing up the space again. Four more successful bigle attacks bring Claire down to just 8 HP remaining. I'm not really clear at this point on how many more attacks are coming - up to 5, at worst.

Another hit. Claire's down to 4 HP, and can't take any more hits.

At least she got a nice level, if she lives to keep it.

If I look at this picture right, two of the bigles that could've reached Claire are gray, which means they were blocked earlier and used their turns summoning instead. That still leaves two attackers, and I need both to miss.

I was certain I'd have to reset the battle there. Maybe that extra Speed really did help her dodge chance just enough to pull off the great escape. (Dodging 9 of 11 attacks is actually pretty average for that hit rate, just strange to see the first nine hit and then the last two miss like that.)

Turn 5

Even after all those bigles killed by Claire, there's still 14 left thanks to fresh summons. I get Claire back for healing and continue to mass outside the gate, waiting for it to drop.

And the gate finally falls. I'm not sure what the trigger was in the end - a certain number of turns, or there being no enemies running loose outside the fort?

Outside of a single stray bigle attack against Mycen, the enemy doesn't really take advantage.

Turn 6

Matilda is tough and fast and with the Gradius also pretty strong, so she leads the charge into the fort and takes out the last slayer.

Force is another survivable counter-kill machine so he takes up position against the bigles, eliminating one of them.

Silk takes out the lead bigle with a shot of Angel.

Alm kills another bigle. He's got a lot of HP but not as much Defense as I would like up there.

Mycen, Zeke, and Python all move forward but can't attack twice so don't actually kill anything.

Zeke draws in the first attacker on the enemy phase, but doesn't counter-kill so keeps the tile occupied.

Nine more bigle attacks follow, with six suiciding on Matilda. The others attacked Zeke and Mycen as space opened up; for some reason Alm was left alone despite his low Defense. Possibly the bigles preferred to attack the gold knights who couldn't attack twice, when given the opportunity.

Turn 7

Matilda didn't even make a dent in the bigle numbers - there's still 18 of them at the start of the turn. I'm not even trying to grind here - the bigles are only worth 3-5 XP each, hardly worth it - but they're just that hard to get under control.

Python and Matilda start out by thinning the bigles' numbers a bit. Getting Matilda in range of more of the bigles for the enemy phase so that she can counter-kill more of them is my big strategy for this turn.

Alm and Force each take out a bigle and join the counter-kill line.

Teeta and Claire wipe out two more bigles. I'm not about to leave Claire out front this time, though.

Silk rounds out the action this turn with another bigle kill. There are still 11 of them left for the enemy phase, though.

I lied and left Claire out there. I guess with only 11 bigles she'll probably be fine this time. I've been ignoring that last gold knight since he's sitting on a healing tile minding his own business and hard to hit with physical attacks.

Lots of this on the enemy phase. Claire's back at full HP so she can handle all 11 bigles if necessary.

The first four bigles died on Claire's spear. The fifth here couldn't reach her so settled for sparring with Zeke.

A fifth bigle attacks Claire, and then the other five bigles inexplicably do nothing and the enemy phase ends. Seriously they didn't attack or summon more copies of themselves or anything. I guess some script got broken somewhere.

Turn 8

Our saints finally take care of the gold knight.

Python picked up a pretty good level by poking at a bigle.

Mycen finishes off a wounded bigle, and Matilda takes out a corner one.

Force and Alm take out two more, and we're almost out of this map.

Claire kills another bigle. All I have left is Zeke and he can't finish off the last one himself.

That's okay though because the last bigle helpfully kills itself on Claire, finally ending the battle.

The challenge was over early, but those bigle swarms were a pain to put down.

Another nondescript room is revealed, with only one path forward.

And we've seen this room last update, although briefly as we were falling through it at the time. Next update we'll fall through to the third floor, where another battle awaits.

Next time:

It's a battle royale, no-holds-barred.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Those waiting levels in this game look boring as hell, but combining it with enemies that constantly create more enemies is just evil. It looks like it'd become really tedious really fast.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but your stats on Dyute wouldn't look out of place in Awakening. Goddamn. :stare:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Those Bigles were certainly the ... Bahdesst part of that fight. :downsrim:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This actual dungeon-crawling is kind of starting to grow on me. But, uh, what happens if you pick the wrong hole to fall down? You have to run up to the top and try again?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

This actual dungeon-crawling is kind of starting to grow on me. But, uh, what happens if you pick the wrong hole to fall down? You have to run up to the top and try again?

Pretty much.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Chapter 5, Part 3: Final Dungeon Third Floor

Two floors down, one to go in the final dungeon. Take the lower-right drop here to reach the third floor and the next battle.

No gimmicks here, just a wide-open brawl.

Turn 1

Alm starts off the battle by pulling out his bow and taking out one of the slayers.

And he's now capped Skill. He's now got a 48% crit rate with the Regal Sword, and a 40% crit rate with the Angel Ring. Almost as deadly as Dyute.

On the other side, Matilda tosses the Gladius a couple times to take out the other slayer.

The two bigles are handled by Teeta and Python with holy attacks. I didn't want to let them start any summoning shenanigans this time.

The high knights have only 4 Movement so can't reach anyone; the only concern on the enemy phase is teleporting witches, but they're relatively weak at this point in the game.

Only one witch teleported, and Alm's extra 40 magic evasion from the Angel Ring kept the lightning away.

Turn 2

The second turn is all about eliminating the witches. Force and Alm start here with easy kills.

Matilda and Claire easily wipe out the other two witches. Really these vanilla enemies can't hold up in a stand-up fight at this point, Alm's army is just too strong.

I cluster everyone together a bit in case the high knights start moving, but they're going to stay in place until they can actually reach someone.

Turn 3

The high knights are a little tougher, I won't be able to take out all six in one turn. Matilda and Teeta start on the first one, kicking it off the recovery tile.

Python takes a shot at the high knight on the other recovery tile, but misses one of his attacks. I stay a bit conservative on that side, content to draw the high knight forward off the evasion-boosting tile.

Sure enough, the high knight moves up to attack Python, who counters for 28 damage but doesn't quite get the kill.

Mycen claimed the other recovery tile and used it to draw in another high knight.

Turn 4

Alm finishes off one high knight, and then Python claims the recovery tile to weaken another.

Force finishes off Mycen's attacker. Even without the Speed Ring, he's fast enough for two attacks, and he's now strong enough to dish out a ton of damage to these high-Defense enemies, too.

He's now almost capped HP and has a Power also near the cap even without any weapons equipped.

The Gladius strikes again in Claire's hands, crippling another high knight.

Just three high knights left, and two of them are already crippled.

And the last healthy high knight runs straight into Gladius.

Turn 5

Teeta and Silk each finish off a high knight with a shot of Angel.

Not your typical healers anymore. They're fast, tough, and pack more punch than you'd expect.

Alm easily handles the last knight, ending the battle.

Probably the easiest and simplest map in a long while.

The third floor has no other exit than through this door. Unless you want to go back and drop down into the empty fourth floor, anyway.

Celica's army is still slowly losing HP, in case you were wondering.

The sign in front of the next staircase is your only warning that the next update is going to be a bit unusual....

Next time:

No sneak preview spoiling the battle - but we're obviously headed into the treasury.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, you're going into the treasury, so clearly you'll get some treasure. And being Fire Emblem, that can only be a really powerful weapon or two. I guess you'll get Alm and/or Celica's final weapon(s). Like Marth's Falchion or Ike's Ragnell.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Chapter 5, Part 4: Rigel Treasury

Time to enter the treasury. If you remember our goals headed in here, there were two. One was to rescue Celica. The other is to recover something from the treasury.

The sign's meaning is rather obvious. Alm has to get through the treasury's guardians on his own.

He gets to fight off ten wights, which are powered-up skeletons. Not really much of a threat to our powered-up Alm, especially with a handy choke point and recovery tile.

I've given Alm the Angel Ring here since he's going to gain a level and I might as well. Other strategies - give him the Regal Sword and with enough Power he can one-round each wight, counter-killing them all pretty quickly. But the real broken strategy, especially if your Alm is weak, is to give him the Holy Shield. It will give him +13 Defense and heal for 5 HP each turn, trivializing the entire update.

Turn 1

Alm has a bow, remember, so he can stay in the chokepoint and still take a shot at one of the wights. He's doing 17 damage with each attack, so needs three attacks (or one crit) to kill each wight.

The wights predictably surround Alm, but only one can reach him at a time. Each wight is only fast enough for a single attack, only strong enough to do 4 damage, and only accurate enough to land a hit about half of the time. With the Angel Ring keeping Alm healed each turn, he won't be in any danger here. Though it may take awhile to clear out all the wights one turn at a time.

Turn 2

Alm moves onto the recovery tile for some extra evasion and finishes off his attacker from the previous turn. Another wight moves in on the enemy phase for a futile attack.

Alm counters with a crit, which really just means another wight gets in for an attack, speeding up the battle by a turn.

Turn 3

Alm takes out his attacker again, we're 30% done.

He already won't have trouble double-attacking anyone for the rest of the game, but this gain also boosts his evasion a bit so isn't wasted.

Another dodge and double-counter for Alm on the enemy phase.

Turn 4

Alm's going to counter-kill the wight in front of him anyway, so he spends his turn softening up a different wight instead.

I'm not sure what triggered this bullshit. Maybe it was being surrounded and leaving the wight in front of Alm alive. Maybe it was always supposed to happen this turn. But suddenly Alm's protection is gone and the wights are free to go after him. To add insult to injury, the recovery tile moved from under Alm to under the wight next to him.

In this case the attempted screw job just lets Alm counter-kill the wights that much faster. Again if you have any trouble with this part, just give Alm the Holy Shield before the battle and the wights will only do 1 damage each against 5 HP of healing per turn, so Alm will be essentially invincible.

Turn 5

Murder one wight on the player phase, counter-kill four others on the enemy phase.

Turn 6

Alm moved away to get the last wight off the healing tile, then counter-kills it.

No sweat.

Alm has some more climbing to do. Guess what that means?

Yes, it's another battle. There's going to be one for each if the three main floors of the dungeon. But they're all pretty short so I'll throw them all into this one update.

This time we have slightly upgraded gargoyles, creatively nicknamed deathgoyles. They're faster, but not fast enough to matter. Really since they have less HP, less Power, and less Defense than the wights, this battle will be even easier for Alm. Plus, there's only eight deathgoyles, versus ten wights in the last battle. No cover, but the cover was a lie anyway.

Turn 1

Alm has 52 HP. The deathgoyles can only do 2 damage a turn to Alm each. No reason not to be aggressive here.

Something teleports in over the recovery tile.

No, wait, it just turned into poison.

Another recovery tile appears in a random location instead. A new gimmick for the battle - if you park on a recovery tile, you get a 1/3 chance of it turning to poison before the next turn.

The deathgoyles swarm Alm on the enemy phase, and Alm counter-kills three of them.

Alm gains another level, this time with Power.

Turn 2

I hadn't really figured out the pattern of the tile changing yet, so I put Alm on the recovery tile to weaken another of the deathgoyles. I think only one of them is at full health now.

The new recovery tile turns to poison, and another recovery tile appears back where Alm started.

The four injured deathgoyles immediately suicide on Alm, leaving just the lone full-health one.

Alm doesn't want to wait for his turn to end this battle.

Two down, one to go.

I promise these stairs are actually the next floor, even though it looks the same as the prior floor.

This time Alm is faced with two white dragon zombies, a small upgrade over the regular dragon zombies. They'll do a little more damage to Alm, but there's only two of them.

Turn 1

I'm not sure what the gimmick to this battle was supposed to be, if any, because the white dragon zombies immediately flew over the walls and engaged with Alm.

One of them did not survive the attempt.

Turn 2

Alm quickly finishes off the second enemy with his bow.

He shores up his main weakness, gaining Defense.

The third battle was probably the easiest of all. Really this whole update serves as a nice contrast with the rest of the game. We started out with skeletons, gargoyles, and dragon zombies as challenging enemies in the first couple chapters. Now at the end of the game, a horde of upgraded versions gets blown away by Alm alone, with him never really being in any danger.

One more set of stairs....

And we finally reach the blocked-off treasure chest from the start of the chapter. Inside is the Falchion, the holy weapon capable of striking down the earth god Doma. It's a bit stronger than the Regal Sword at 10 Might, but has just 80% Hit Rate, and no Crit Rate. It does get an effective bonus against monsters, plus a special effect for the final boss.

With the Falchion in hand, Alm's Power actually creeps up over the normal cap.

Time to backtrack.

We have to fall through to the basement, then climb all the way back up.

Back at the top, fall through the upper-left hole to stop on the first floor again. Really the most efficient path through this dungeon is to fall through the lower-right hole to hit the third floor and the treasury right away.

The battles in the final dungeon can't be repeated, if you were hoping for some last-minute grinding.

This single tile will let you fall past the second floor and stop at the third floor. Notice how there is no path to the left, where the treasury was located. Also notice how we didn't actually have to cross the second floor, making that battle entirely optional if you know where you're going from the start.

Another set of stairs leads all the way back to the top.

And finally Alm has reached the final battle. Just head through that door....

Next time:

Alm coldly kicks rear end in the final battle.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Weird that they put something so easy that close to the end of the game, but it seems to be following a trend where units like Alm and Dyute just wreck everything. That happens with a lot of Fire Emblems, though--by the end, your best units are so powerful that nothing really poses a threat.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Hang on, isn't Falchion supposed to be on the other continent right about now? Or do the pegasus sisters bring it with them every time thry cross the ocean?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Edward_Tohr posted:

Hang on, isn't Falchion supposed to be on the other continent right about now? Or do the pegasus sisters bring it with them every time thry cross the ocean?

Same name, different sword.

Eleanore
Jun 18, 2013
Been reading this over the last week and I just want to chime in at the end to say thanks for doing this.

I don't think I would ever have the patience to get through this game (or FE1 that you also did). The infinite spawning dragon map/bigles seems like the biggest bullshit, but the items in this are so ridiculously overpowered. It also baffles me how the game can have the absolute worst growths overall in the series and yet your MVPs basically have awakening stats :psyduck:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Marth is absolutely awful at taking care of his legendary superweapon. This is sort of a fundamental fact of the FE universe.

(Also Warp-Staff kills on bosses are the best kills on bosses, well done.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Or it could just be that "falchion" is a category noun?

For a giant inelegant machete-like sword?

Probably wielded by the sort of hero whose weapon became legendary because it was just really good at its job.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

No update yet, I'll be working on it next weekend

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Sorry, been swamped with work the last couple months. I did get the rest of the game recorded, just need to extract the screenshots and write it up now.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Glad to see this hasn't died.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Chapter 5, Part 5: Doma's Altar

Behind this door, lies the final battle with the evil god Doma. Let's go.

There's a lot going on here. Celica's group is trapped in the southeast corner by a swarm of bigles. Alm's group has entered from the southwest corner, between the bigles and a few third-tier enemies. The boss group is up in the northeast corner. And there's some nice poison swamp all over the middle of the map just to clog things up.

Alm's here to kill Doma, Celica's here to free Mila. Neither really has any idea that the other was going to show up.

Don't worry. I'll crush these bastards.

It won't work. Judah somehow seals all attacks. Plus, Bigles keep spawning and entangling us. We're done for.... Sorry, Alm. I was weak after all. I've had an odd premonition that pain awaits you.... That's why I left on a quest to save Mila.... That's why I didn't want you to fight yet. I'm sorry I acted so cold.... The truth is, I've always....

Big info dump here. So Celica kinda-sorta knew what was going on, and was trying to protect Alm by doing it all herself instead. Except that hasn't really worked out too well for her.

I understand. But Celica! Focus on escaping! I'll definitely save you, so hang on!

There's no escaping. But Alm's group does have a couple healers with handy Warp spells. Celica's group just has Jenny, who doesn't get Warp, so they're stuck where they are.

The three enemies to the north have pretty good Power, Speed, and Defense. I have just the counter to that.

The bigles haven't changed much. They'll still get wrecked by the falcon knights and any holy weapons.

Judah's back, hanging out in the middle of the map with his powerful Death spell (15 Might, 70% Hit Rate). He's tough, but the biggest problem in dealing with him is the reported immunity he has to anyone's attacks.

Two nasty Aura-wielding witches in the north. They look a little worse for wear. Their portraits also bear a striking resemblance to Sonia's, with the thick hair and the upturned collar:

You decide.

The two bow knights are the only generic units on the map. Watch out for their high range and attack, but otherwise they're nothing compared to most of the named enemies.

The wizard here is Ganeph, or Garnef for you FE1/FE3 fans. He appears to be surprisingly weak, but watch out for that Medusa spell - if it lands (70% Hit Rate), it will reduce the target's HP to 1 (or kill the target if the HP is already at 1). Making that target easy pickings for someone else to finish off.

Lore note: Garnef is defeated near the end of the original Fire Emblem, but shows back up again in the direct sequel (FE3). Did he steal the Falchion at the end of the first game, bring it here for some reason? Then steal it again at the end of this game? (He shows up in FE3 with the Falchion again.) Does that mean Alm is some kind of distant cousin of Marth, since they can wield the same bloodline-restricted royal sword? Or is it all just a weird coincidence?

The big boss, Doma. So many HPs that you can't see them because the developer didn't want to figure out how to display triple digits in the window. Very tough defenses too, though not very fast. Can't really tell what his attacks are yet....

Turn 1

It's been awhile since we've used Celica's group. Let's send Saber to attack the nearby bigle.

Saber's got the Holy Sword and still barely scratches the bigle, and takes two attacks in return. He's been one of Celica's best units all game before fading in the last chapter. Since Celica's group didn't get all of the levels and promotions that Alm's group has been picking up for the last chapter and a half, only a few of their units will be of any use in this battle.

Side note: The Mercenary/Myrmidon class is usually one of the more overpowered in Fire Emblem games. Yet in this run I have four of them (Cliff in Alm's group, and Saber/Kamui/Jesse in Celica's group) and they're all completely useless. Not sure what happened there.

Celica's two falcon knights, Palla and Catria, are still effective at least. Particuarly when their attacks automatically do triple damage to all of the bigles floating around.

Catria takes out another bigle from range, forming the beginnings of a defensive line.

Celica's still got some utility with her spells, particularly since she can throw around effective Angel shots at the monsters.

Sonia also used to be considered a strong unit, but she's more than 20 levels behind Dyute at this point, and her top spell (Excalibur) is really only good if it triggers a crit. If I'd gotten her a couple more levels, she would've picked up Angel, and at level 18 she would have gotten Arrow.

Like Saber, Leo doesn't really have the Power or the Speed to keep up in the damage-dealing department. Alm's group has five units with at least 18 Power and 18 Speed - Celica's group has none.

Anyway, Celica's group just has bigles to deal with so they'll be able to survive just fine in this formation. That'll buy time for Alm's group to sweep through the rest of the enemies.

Speaking of Alm's group, their first action is to warp Matilda down to reinforce Celica's line. And bring them an Angel Ring, because why not.

Sure, Python is cheating a bit since his Holy Bow is an effective weapon, but that's still a lot more damage than Leo just did.

As Alm's group bunches together and moves forward, their last act is to have Teeta heal away all the damage that Celica's group suffered during the chapter.

The enemy phase starts with Doma summoning a pair of bigles, because who doesn't want more bigles?

The two bow knights advance. That move is actually a good one for us, since it'll be easier to take them out without triggering the rest of the boss group.

The three enemies on the left side also move forward. I have a nasty surprise waiting for them though.

Apparently the two named witches can summon more witches. Who can then also teleport and ruin my day with a well-placed attack on one of Celica's squishy units.

A wounded bigle wisely avoids the falcon knights and dive bombs Kamui instead.

Another bigle was unlucky enough to not have any options but to attack Palla, and paid a heavy price.

Not bad, Speed is probably the biggest help to her right now.

More summoning shenanigans, as a bigle brings in another bigle. They're like rabbits.

Alm's group finally takes a hit, but Force is having none of it.

Turn 2

Celica's got a nice chokepoint now with her few strong units protecting the rest of the group, and far fewer bigles in the way.

Dyute is going to ruin these guys' day.

Why waste the HP on overkill when a pair of fireballs will take down the slayer with ease?

Kamui and Matilda finish off a wounded bigle, clearing more space in the chokepoint.

A Speed-only level isn't as useful for Matilda, but bad levels aren't really going to matter anymore.

Since I'm about to accidentally solve this problem, here's a what-if of Catria flying up to attack Judah:

As Celica said in the opening, Judah is sealing all attacks against him, just like when Celica faced him at the end of Chapter 4. There are no hints as to how to proceed at this point.

Anyway putting Catria up there alone against Judah isn't very smart, so let's have her wipe out another bigle instead.

Claire has the Gladius and no fear, flying ahead of everyone to take care of yet another bigle. I really just don't want them replicating themselves all over the place.

Alm has quietly become almost as over-powered as Dyute, one-shotting another bigle here thanks to the Falchion's effectiveness against monsters.

Force charges ahead with the Speed Ring, backed up by Mycen and Zeke. Suddenly Celica's group is no longer in any immediate danger. Teeta also shoots off another Fortify to keep everyone's HP topped off, and Silk moves over to heal the damage Teeta took from casting the spell.

Doma summons three more bigles, but I've been killing them at a faster rate than he can replace them so far.

The bow knights make it down to the poison riverbank to take a couple shots at Claire, but she shrugs off one for 5 damage and dodges the other.

The second slayer has only Dyute to attack, and falls into the trap. Little did he know that Dyute is just as deadly with her sword.

The gold knight is slightly more lucky, merely being crippled rather than killed outright.

I couldn't be bothered to get her an Angel Ring. I wasn't really expecting her to gain so much XP this turn, but her stats are already so high it doesn't make much difference anymore if she missed out on a couple gains here.

Up top, the bigles summon more bigles, eventually filling the earth and ruining the world for everyone.

Turn 3

In the immediate vicinity, we have two bigles, two generic bow knights, and an invincible death mage. Sounded pretty easy up until that last part.

First step is to have Dyute casually eliminate the last of the western enemy group.

Then Palla and Catria eliminate the two bigles, before the next swarm can get down to us.

The bow knights are tough for Celica and her group. She does 15 damage with Lightning, but takes 12 damage in two counterattacks.

Sonia pitches in with a timely crit.

Claire's pretty strong with the Gladius in hand, but not quite strong enough to kill the second bow knight in one turn.

Python's easily able to finish it off, however.

Dyute gets warped up to help deal with the Judah problem. Judah is still sealing all attacks against him at this point.

More cautious advancement. Can't do much until we can get past Judah, really. Though I guess if needed we could just bypass him entirely and make a run at Doma.

So we've seen Doma summon bigles. Here's his second possible action - Megaquake. The screen shakes for a few seconds, and when it's over every one of our units has taken 10-20 damage. Pretty nasty, really. Good thing Teeta can Fortify everyone each turn to counter. I'm also pretty sure that Megaquake can't actually kill anyone, just reduce them to 1 HP at worst.

Judah summons a single bigle. Guess that death ray was too much effort for him.

And the bigles keep multiplying.

A witch and some bigles start moving across the poison water, but that's it from the boss group.

Turn 4

We start with more bigle-pruning.

Time to see if Judah can be attacked yet.

And for some reason Celica's attacks go through this time. Though if that Death spell had landed I think she would have died - the range is supposed to be 1-2 tiles, but Judah's cheating and attacking from as far away as he likes. So I reloaded since this attack was just supposed to be a test anyway.

I'm not sure why Judah can be attacked now. One game guide suggests it's because the group of three enemy units on the left side was eliminated - I checked immediately after Dyute took out the last of them, and Judah was still sealing attacks, but maybe it takes a turn for his seals to drop. Or maybe it's time-basd, or because Doma cast Megaquake, or who knows why.

What's important is Judah can now be hurt, and killed. Though Python pays a heavy price for the attempt.

Python's second attack lands with a bang, critting to finish off Judah once and for all. The penultimate boss of the game, taken out in one turn by an archer.

Not exactly an inspiring death quote from Judah there.

Judah drops a Magic Ring, but Python doesn't care about magic so stuff it into storage. It can be useful for the final push, but we really won't need it.

After Judah dies, every single bigle is de-summoned, even though they were all summoned by Doma or other bigles. Not sure if that's intentional or some kind of weird bug where the game can't tell who summoned which bigles so just gets rid of all of them. Either way, the rest of this battle just got a lot simpler.

I don't really want anyone getting hit with Medusa, so Dyute wipes out Ganeph/Garnef immediately. Shortest cameo ever.

The falcon knights, without any bigles left to target, go after the nearest witches instead. Catria brings her target down to 1 HP - effectively nullifying her ability to cast - while Claire just outright kills her target.

The faster units get across the poison river, but the rest are still stacked up off-screen waiting to cross.

Doma moves and then gets into the shaking spirit. Not a lot of final bosses move around and actively hunt you in this series. Going to need to see more than Megaquake to really fear this guy, though.

The last healthy witch goes after Force, who's been severely weakened from the quake. Fortunately she misses, or Force would've bit the dust here.

Turn 5

Claire easily takes care of the other zombie witch sister.

Mara gets a minor death quote. Not sure why she gets one, when neither Heste nor Ganeph/Garnef did.

Catria takes out the last witch, and suddenly all we have left is Doma.

You are looking at the last stat gains of the game, here.

Time to see what Doma is made of.

Music: Final Boss

Doma takes two Ragnaroks to the face for a total of 88 damage, and still has so much HP leftover that it can't be displayed. He has a Tentacle attack he could use to counter with, but Dyute is too far away. It only has 10 Might, anyway - not a very scary final boss attack. (By the way, that weird pause at the start of the animation is the screen shaking as Doma emerges from the earth - couldn't capture in the animation due to not grabbing every single frame.)

Doma really likes his Megaquake, but he's not going to get anywhere with that strategy as long as I have Teeta casting Fortify every turn.

Turn 6

Dyute heads into battle again. This time Doma apparently has an Eye Beam attack, but he again doesn't get to use it as Dyute dishes out another 88 damage from long-range. The Eye Beam attack again has just 10 Might, and counts as magic damage (as opposed to the Tentacle's physical damage).

This time we get to see Doma's HP drop all the way to just 11 HP remaining. Add in 5 HP of healing between turns, and he had 182 HP to start the battle.

Claire flies in to finish off Doma, just because I wanted to do it all with Alm and his Falchion on the sidelines. But apparently physical attacks aren't of much use against Doma.

Doma's third direct attack is called Eyeball. Appropriately enough, an eye opens in Doma's hand, looks around for a few seconds, then opens wide....

And shoots out a small ball of energy that completely misses Claire. Oh well. The Eyeball attack reportedly has 0 Might and a base 100% Hit Rate, for what it's worth - I don't really think that those numbers are accurate, though.

Am I toying with Doma at this point to try and see more of his attacks in action? Maybe. But that's no reason for him to be boring and just summon more bigles.

Turn 7

Alm is about to finish off Doma. But somehow Doma healed 40 HP last turn since he was close to dying. That seems fair.

So Alm's otherwise-impressive 46 damage only brought Doma down to 5 HP, rather than killing him outright. Oh, and Alm dodged the weird Eyeball attack, too.

Meanwhile the three falcon knights kill time by killing the three bigles.

All right Celica, you're up. Let's see how Doma likes a shot of Angel to the face.

Crap. At this point I just had everyone attack Doma to see the Eyeball attack, but it missed every time. So forget that.

Eventually I remembered that Doma is immune to everything but Falchion when his HP drops below 52 HP. Though I hear that Nosferatu can hit as well, if you feel like attacking him 1 HP at a time with your healers. A crit from Dyute with Ragnarok when Doma is between 52 and 132 HP (killing him directly) might also work.

STOP BEING BORING. Doma you went from a cool boss to worst boss ever now.

Turn 8

Whatever will I do with this single bigle that you summoned, Doma? Oh right I have three falcon knights.

In the interest of brevity, here's an outtake of me waiting around for Doma to do something cool:

See, that Tentacle attack was awesome, why couldn't you use that more often Doma? Man NES-era AI was pretty terrible. Caught some of the screen-shaking at the start, too.

Here's the Eyeball attack landing. The recipient changes color for a few frames and that's it. No explosion or fancy effects or anything. Doma your cool rating just plummeted again. Also I never figured out how to trigger the EyeBeam attack again, so no shots of that one in action.

Where were we? Right, Alm attacking Doma for 46 HP per turn while Doma heals 40 HP per turn. Simple math tells me what will happen eventually there.

When the attack is going to be a fatal one, a different animation is used. Alm tosses away his shield, and leaps into Doma to stab downward with the Falchion. Then we immediately transition to a what passes for a cut-scene on the NES.

"Our" will? I guess Mila's trapped inside of Doma, or they merged together or something.

So Alm gets the power of both Mila and Doma, gets to rule over both Rigel and Sofia (I guess with Celica at his side). As long as he doesn't...what, use his power to interfere in the world, while simultaneously ruling over it? It's not real clear what triggered these events in the first place, other than Mila and Doma having some kind of sibling squabble that had nothing to do with any of the people in the lands.

And with that, Doma fades away, and the game ends.

Next time:

The ending.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For the era, that was actually a pretty nice final boss fights. Lots of things happening, the battle having some natural stages, and the end boss actually capable of wrecking everyone.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

That alternate kill animation is a really nice touch.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Chapter 5, Epilogue: The End

Without further interruption, the ending of the game, in story-board form.

Music: Ending 1

Considering that the lands of Alm-ruled Valencia and the future ruler become the primary antagonist of a future Fire Emblem game, this game doesn't exactly have a happy ending I guess. At least not long-term.

Have some credits:

Okay, these aren't the real credits. The game just scrolls through each character in the game, one-by-one, and shows you the same character portrait we've been staring at every time we look at their stats screen. Nothing to see here.

Eventually the game gives up and just spits out a list of names without any of the portraits. Not sure how the portrait list was chosen - after Alm, Celica, and Mycen, I got Dyute, Silk, Force, Matilda, Claire, Python, and Cliff. So maybe somewhat based on kill count after the first three? Mycen hardly killed anyone, that's for sure.

I don't even remember most of this group by now.

So I guess the named enemies get to make an appearance of sorts, too.Bonus points if you can name the update that each of these names were from.

Okay now we're done. Can't forget poor Rudolf, whose only solution to war was to trap Mila, give up on facing Dolma, and then declare war.

A gold knight pops in and walks across the screen for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Now, for the real credits.

Only five programmers for an entire game. I'm pretty sure a single item in a modern RPG takes that many now.

Pain-staking pixel editing for all the sprites, and one dude just pumping out the music. Speaking of which, here's a link to the full playlist of music for this game, since I wasn't very consistent about introducing it.

Almost as many managers as actual workers, go figure.

Now this name even I recognize. The end.

Okay, not quite. It's a Fire Emblem tradition to tell you what happened to each of these characters that had almost no backstory or development to them. For some reason. Oh and not every character gets a happy ending, even if they lived all the way to the end. So, here goes:

Music: Ending 2

I feel like this guy was angling for this job all along. You know Alm and Celica aren't going to pay attention to day-to-day stuff, so Mycen ends up with all the real power. Probably why it all goes to hell by the time Fire Emblem 13 rolls around, I'm sure it's all Mycen's fault. What a jerk.

Now that we wiped out everyone who believed in Doma, Noma can just take over and pretend it was all the same all along.

Well that was pretty generic, thanks.

Isn't that nice.

I had to double-check to make sure I didn't accidentally copy the same image twice.

Claire was awesome and Gray was the most useless character in Alm's army, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

:roflolmao:

Not sure who his new wife is yet. Also these messages will change slightly depending on who's alive at the end. Like obviously Claire and Gray don't get married if one of them dies during the game. I'm not about to go through and try to find all those combinations at this point, though.

I can imagine a spin-off story where Luka, Robin, and Force work as delinquent castle guards under Cleive's watch. Okay, maybe not.

May just goes home I guess.

Silk's the only one so far who actually acts like a hero when the cameras are turned off.

Was this Cleive? They aren't even on the same team!

Boey goes back with May to continue his middle school courting.

Kamui's off doing good things I guess.

Valbo on his way to becoming the next Jeigan in the un-released Fire Emblem Gaiden 2.

Her only story is that she is now Cleive's wife. Pretty sure she could kick Cleive's rear end by the end of the game, maybe Alm should've put her in charge.

Python turns into Batman or something.

Meanwhile the crappy archer from Celica's group becomes another faceless knight.

Atlas did nothing all game and then went back home to do nothing there.

Jesse comes out of nowhere to carve out his own country in the desert lands that nobody wanted anyway.

I got the sister part, never expected Judah to be their father. Seems like a weird and important detail to leave until the very end like this. None of this information was remotely mentioned when we recruited Sonia, way back in Geyse's Fort.

Saber went from carrying Celica's team through the second chapter to being a liability by the end of the game. And he joins the new mercenary desert kingdom, of course. Gotta keep all those mercenaries in one place, away from us regular folk. He also gets an un-named wife, maybe it's Jenny, or maybe they both married people we never met, who knows?

Ryuto was pretty good until he got completely overshadowed by his sister Dyute. Doesn't really seem like a reason to run off and leave her behind forever, though.

Well that seems like a terrible idea. No wonder your brother ran off. You have all this power and just throw it away, meanwhile he can barely make the wind move.

Wait for it....

Guessing that one looks a bit different if Est dies.

Ditto.

Unsurprisingly, all three of the pegasus sisters show up again in the next game.

He just disappeared for a few months to go back to Archanea and set a few things right in the next game.

I'm sure worshipping your queen as a goddess doesn't have any unintended side effects.

And Alm becomes king, in the least surprising plot ending ever.

And that's it! Thanks for sticking with me on this long three-year-plus journey.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Well holy god drat, it's actually done. Thanks for sticking this out man!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Many thanks for an excellent LP!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That was really nice to follow, big congratulations on your persistance!

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

Congratulations and many thanks on making this LP! This was such a treat to follow.

Also, it's incredible to me how characters like Dyute just developed into ace units. The wonders of RNG I guess. Haha!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well done :golfclap:

For all its jankiness and crazy all-over-the-place design attempts, Gaiden is still an interesting and cool game. Thanks for an excellent LP!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DKII posted:

And for some reason Celica's attacks go through this time. Though if that Death spell had landed I think she would have died - the range is supposed to be 1-2 tiles, but Judah's cheating and attacking from as far away as he likes. So I reloaded since this attack was just supposed to be a test anyway.

I'm not sure why Judah can be attacked now. One game guide suggests it's because the group of three enemy units on the left side was eliminated - I checked immediately after Dyute took out the last of them, and Judah was still sealing attacks, but maybe it takes a turn for his seals to drop. Or maybe it's time-basd, or because Doma cast Megaquake, or who knows why.

The FE wiki says none of those is true, rather, he has the ability to negate any attack that is not from at least 5 spaces away and his "seal" wears off every 4 turns. Sure would be nice if the game itself said it though!

quote:

Python's second attack lands with a bang, critting to finish off Judah once and for all. The penultimate boss of the game, taken out in one turn by an archer.

I thought you were playing Gaiden, not Fates :v:

In all seriousness, great job with the LP, DKII. This is definitely a weird, weird game in the series, and you showed it really well. It was a fun ride, too bad that Valencia's going to poo poo sooner or later, though at least it's probably not happening for a long while.

Also Dyute joins the ranks of God Units of FE LPs. I'm sure Mist will be glad to have another girl there. I have to seriously wonder why her ending involves sealing her magic, though, when it wasn't like...evil or anything. Did she want a normal life in a world where things can go very wrong at any given point that much?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The FE wiki says none of those is true, rather, he has the ability to negate any attack that is not from at least 5 spaces away and his "seal" wears off every 4 turns. Sure would be nice if the game itself said it though!

Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. It's not hinted anywhere in the game, so I have no idea how you were supposed to figure out how to beat him before the internet. Just keep attacking him and hope for the best?

In any case, many thanks DKII for a great LP. This is probably the most detailed LP of Gaiden I've seen, and for all its weirdness it's definitely a neat entry to the series, which I think you brought across well in your LP. So good job!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I thought you were playing Gaiden, not Fates :v:

In all seriousness, great job with the LP, DKII. This is definitely a weird, weird game in the series, and you showed it really well. It was a fun ride, too bad that Valencia's going to poo poo sooner or later, though at least it's probably not happening for a long while.

Also Dyute joins the ranks of God Units of FE LPs. I'm sure Mist will be glad to have another girl there. I have to seriously wonder why her ending involves sealing her magic, though, when it wasn't like...evil or anything. Did she want a normal life in a world where things can go very wrong at any given point that much?

She got tired of accidentally exploding her home by sneezing out a ragnarok during allergy season.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Bishop Rodan posted:

In any case, many thanks DKII for a great LP. This is probably the most detailed LP of Gaiden I've seen, and for all its weirdness it's definitely a neat entry to the series, which I think you brought across well in your LP. So good job!

What he said. It was cool to see what the least Fire Emblem-y Fire Emblem is like.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I would not have anticipated they'd be doing an epilogue this early in video games. Was this the first Fire Emblem game to do it or does every one do it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glazius posted:

Man, I would not have anticipated they'd be doing an epilogue this early in video games. Was this the first Fire Emblem game to do it or does every one do it?

I think the first one did too. The only exception I can think of was Path of Radiance.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

What kingdom did Valencia show up as in Awakening? I'm guessing... Valm?

Anyway, 'grats on finishing! Thanks for showing off a Fire Emblem that I'll probably never bother to play. Maybe it'll get the remake treatment someday.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver Falcon posted:

What kingdom did Valencia show up as in Awakening? I'm guessing... Valm?

Anyway, 'grats on finishing! Thanks for showing off a Fire Emblem that I'll probably never bother to play. Maybe it'll get the remake treatment someday.

Yeah. Valencia would become Valm at some point in time, changing its name to honour the hero that saved and reunited the kingdom, Alm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

And we're archived. Thanks for the support everyone.

• Locked thread