Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

This differs from the Climate Change thread in that Climate Change, formerly known as Global Warming, is no longer caused by the Greenhouse Effect, according to popular consensus, -or so is my perception of it.

The Greenhouse Effect is caused predominantly by water vapor, whose thermodynamic properties are roughly 1000% stronger than the next most prevalent "greenhouse" gas, CO2, which makes up less than 5% of total "greenhouse" gasses, in quantity...in actual density, I guess it would be less than 5% x .001 which is so undense I cannot even formulate a clever metaphor to express it.

in essence, CO2's influence on the Greenhouse Effect is akin to Potassium Chloride's influence on the salinity of the oceans. (really teeny tiny)

and, interestingly, (a phrase I use when something is interesting to me), the Greenhouse Effect seems to self-regulate, water vapor forming things called "clouds" in areas of rapid temperature/atmospheric pressure drop, and they happen to be the color (or absence of color) WHITE, which reflects all visible spectrum lightwaves back into the vacuum of space.

Now, the Greenhouse Effect also has a strong component, in...um...effect, of a thing called "Solar Radiation" about which I know even less than the thimbleful of knowledge I have on The Greenhouse Effect. But I do know there is this massive fusion reaction at the center of the Solar System, so named for the stellar body responsible for the aforementioned radiation, and this stellar body has a temperature which is neither uniform across its surface, nor constant in its lifespan, the "Sun", as it's called, routinely emitting giant globs of what looks like flame, many times the size of the Earth itself, into space and occasionally at the Earth itself, if I may be so redundantly redundant.

In summation, this thread is about the Greenhouse Effect, in hopes that, free of the ranting of emotional reactionist idealogues, I might have some learned goons illuminate me in areas I may have overlooked, set me straight on things I have incorrect, and allow me to have contributed something entertaining or stimulating to this wonderful new social theater called somethingawful.

I thank you in advance

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocIDacRh5kk

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009

Please remind me to get a job so I can stop spending all day posting in D&D about how I'm an unemployable failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmYMzxA_U-c

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqALdkTArqs

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKbEaZ-Jnws

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009

Please remind me to get a job so I can stop spending all day posting in D&D about how I'm an unemployable failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vh5LJjJhc

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idAz7mFKPrc

Claverjoe
Dec 21, 2005

aw hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIM5-uBEYw

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiteNPECEME

Nation
May 8, 2003
Enjoy

This series of reports will provide you with compelling evidence, gathered over many years of research, as to our genealogical connections with the overlord reptilian alien race and the occulted historical archeology that clearly demonstrated that these reptilian beings have coexisted on this planet earth with us for thousands of years prior to our current era.

I place an emphasis on archeology and metaphysics in the approach to my research because, in my opinion, they are the key elements to unlocking the secrets of the UFO phenomenon that surrounds us. And, as you will see, this has enabled me to acquire some subtleties and nuance hidden within the cracks of historical records found in religious works as well as physical documentation, such as sculptures, relief art and legends from around the world.

The results of the research that I am about to provide you was not compiled by myself alone. These are the findings of individuals like myself, that have endured immense difficulties and danger in order to unveil that which has been hidden from the public for many years. These individuals remain unknown at present due to reasons of survival, however, it is not only our duty, but it is time to unveil this information for all to hear, see and contemplate upon, for we are about to shift our shared reality.

Today, we are witnessing simultaneous deterioration of geopolitical and geological stability, increase of UFO abduction phenomenon, and a rapidly changing climatological Environment. The psychological pressure associated with these shifts in reality is compounded by the fact that many believe that what we are experiencing is the unfolding of prophecies handed down to us by generations passed.

We have all been told through the prophecies of many religions and cultures around the world that our generation will witness the unveiling of the “revelation” of the true reality in which we live. Our species is struggling with impending global disaster brought upon us by natural and man made causes, thus we find ourselves desperately reaching into the shadows for answers. I believe that this is no more evident than in our interest in “new age”. “New Age” is not new at all. It is ancient knowledge which secret brotherhoods within the shadows have drunkenly abused and used to empower their own domination over earth’s inhabitants.

Many of the sacred mysteries that enable one to attain their true source of inner power have existed here on the American continent for thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years. UFOs, alien beings, cosmic cycles, atomic manifestation and other “mysterious phenomenon” are all explained in the legend, myth and lore of the red race of beings known as the American Indian.

By studying these stories and those of other ancient civilizations, we can translate the truth into modern day linguistics and expand our view of the reality on which we belong. Archaic wisdom transforms our spiritual link with corporeal matter. The words may change and the cryptic way in which brotherhoods have passed down secrets may be more difficult to decipher, but “the truth is out there” for us to discover…. If you want it.

I do not question whether or not aliens or their craft are here on our planet. After all, historical documentation, video tapes, abduction cases, leaked government information, numerous other data and our own logic confirm their existence. This is unless our perceptions are still blinded by fear. The primary question, in my opinion, happens to be “Who are the main players?” and “How do we fit into the ‘big plan’?”

Throughout the history of extraterrestrial contact, many different types of alien beings have reportedly stated that they are not able to interfere to any great extent with human beings or their affairs.
If this is true then why are we receiving an increasingly larger number of abduction and contactee reports that repeatedly describe two types of intelligent life forms, those of the Gray and Reptilian aliens?
Why do they have exclusive rights to interfere with our species and other alien beings do not?
If interaction between these beings and our species has been occurring throughout history, as legend and myth would have us believe, then where is the supporting evidence as to their existence?
Where do they live?
Where are they from?
And why are they do interested in us?
These are some of the questions that I will address in this series of reports. First lets tackle the question as to who are these beings and where are the historical connections relating to their presence?

Nation
May 8, 2003
Enjoy

According to the ancient writings and petroglyphs of the area of our earth considered to be the cradle of humanity, namely Mesopotamia and Iraq, there existed a god like race that ruled over a region of the Tigris-Euphrates river valley known as Sumeria. This society apparently flourished around 3500 B. C. and was remarkably advanced in their culture. According to their sand pitted records, their rulers or “gods” were humanoid creatures of extraterrestrial origin that descended in magical crafts or rocket like ships.

The surviving clay tablets from this area of the world declare that before Homo sapiens walked the earth, these “gods” did much of their own manual labor. This extraterrestrial society, for want of more creature comforts genetically created a new form of life from a mixture of their own DNA encoding and that of the evolutionary mammalian man or “ape man”. This successful breed of worker class was Homo sapiens.

In the beginning, apparently, these gods immensely enjoyed the benefit of having their slave race endure the hardships of manual labor. Excavation, farming, building and mining operations were the toll of this new born race. This labor, however, was not provided willingly. It was forced through the use of severe and ruthless governorship.

These, not so bright, beings suffered greatly under the firm rule of their “Gods” and their misery did not go unnoticed by a few of the humanoid extraterrestrial masters. For, according to the Sumerian tablets, inside the “God" society brewed a conspiracy to free Homo sapiens from their bonds of slavery and teach them the spiritual and scientific knowledge necessary to uplift their status to a God-like level.

The name of the extraterrestrial leader of this rebellion was written down as Enil or EA.

Nation
May 8, 2003
Enjoy

For the sake of mental focus, the following example is taken primarily from the Christian Bible’s Book of Genesis. Its deeply rooted symbolism is thought, by some people, to be a compilation of occulted Genesis legend or physical beginnings from all spiritual beings around the world.

[This is important to remember because one must be aware of the fact that I am in no way attempting to push one religion in this presentation].

The historical description of reptilian beings having had a monumental influence on mankind’s evolution can be seen in the multi-cultural symbolism and myth surrounding the tree of knowledge. The symbolical tree of knowledge, the Palm Tree in EA-DEN is depicted as having a trunk around which a half-man half-snake is entwined. It is from this tree that the rebellious reptilian taught the human, Eve. As the information was absorbed by Eve and hence passed on to Adam, their perceptions of awareness and reality quickly shifted, rendering the two in a severe state of shock and fear (thus it is said that a person who is totally unaware of the reality in which they live, resides in an “Edenic state”).

The legend explains that, soon thereafter, they both had their first sexual relationship with each other or that they were shy of their nakedness, it was because they were suddenly aware that there was a profound physical difference between the Gods and themselves. The reptilians had scales covering their bodies as a form of protection from the elements and the Homo sapiens suddenly realized that they didn’t. Until this time, the Homo sapiens had no conception that they were in any way different. They had finally leapt from their childlike ignorance of the situation into the realization that they were intended, by design, to be tillers of the fields and slaves to the other reptilian overlords.

Years later other messengers also arrived upon the scene and, once again, attempted to free mankind from the bondage of slavery by teaching spiritual and magical knowledge. They were punished severely by the rulers of the population. One difference was, however, that instead of being labeled “Satan’s” or adversaries, one was named Quetzalcoatl or “Feathered Snake” and the other the Savior Yasha, or Christ.

The symbolism of the tree of knowledge is not limited to the Christians, but it is also represented by the Banyon tree from under whose branches the East Indian God Krishna sat upon a coiled serpent and bestowed upon man spiritual knowledge. Another reptilian God whose death upon a crucifix was etched into stone was that of Quetzalcoatl, the winged serpent God of the great Toltec and Aztec civilizations. This wooden crucifix upon which those that endowed knowledge upon mankind are crucified represents, not only the sigil of the supreme God called the Tau or Ankh, but the crucifix also represents the tree and branches of the tree of knowledge. For their teachings they were killed.

The remarkable fact is that throughout all ancient and modern civilizations, the serpent or dragon bestowing knowledge upon the Human race figures prominently in all religions and histories. The Christian reptilian or "fallen angel" Lucifer, the Mayan Serpent God, Quetzqlcoatl, the enormous plumed serpent God of the Hopi Indians, Baholinkonga, the East Indian mystical human-like reptilians known as NAGAS, the Egyptian serpent God Enuph, the Phoenicians Agathodemon and even the Hebrews Nakhustan or Brazen Serpent that led Moses and the Israelites through the desert by pillar of cloud and fire.

These are but a few of the vast amount of records that exist world wide and describe their early Gods as having reptilian-human like physical features as well as having descended from the heavens and stars. From within the shadows and crevices of the earth their influence upon mankind can be no more evident than when one considers the ancient God who was considered “The Dragon-Ruler of the World.”

His subjects called him HU—thus we call ourselves HU-MAN!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

"We don't need a toilet. The pile of clothes in the hallway has worked fine for us for years, and it will continue to work."

Pictured: Emotional reactionist ideologue displaying his wanton disregard for logic.

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGHdBGs-S0s

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

oh my god your responses are so amazing!!! thank you so so much!!!!

will you marry me?

ok holy poo poo I actually watched some of those links and read some of that crap, and all I have to say is:

oh my god your responses are so amazing!!! thank you so so much!!!!

will you marry me?

ok wait, I just watched more than one of those videos, and I really am in love with you.

in love.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

THANK U SATAN

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

love.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

******************!!!!!

I'm not so sure you understand how climate change works, most esteemed sir Broccoli Cat.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

if I should die in the pursuit of justice, let it be known; this was my manifesto

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

One and the Same posted:

I'm not so sure you understand how climate change works, most esteemed sir Broccoli Cat.

my dear friend, this is the Greenhouse Effect thread.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

******************!!!!!

Broccoli Cat posted:

my dear friend, this is the Greenhouse Effect thread.

Oh I'm sorry, my mistake- I'll see myself out as soon as C/2011 L4 is close enough for me to grab a hold of its tail

edit: with my spirit energy

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

This thread confuses me, but I actually kind of would like to know what happened with that whole Greenhouse Effect thing. I remember as a kid in the 90s it was all people talked about it, to the point where there were educational commercials on kids channels like Nickelodeon about it, but this thread made me realize I hadn't so much as heard it mentioned in almost a decade.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

One and the Same posted:

Oh I'm sorry, my mistake- I'll see myself out as soon as C/2011 L4 is close enough for me to grab a hold of its tail

edit: with my spirit energy

sadly I have no insight into the existence of superphysical things like spirit energy

but bravo sir, and best of luck.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Norton Ghostride posted:

This thread confuses me, but I actually kind of would like to know what happened with that whole Greenhouse Effect thing. I remember as a kid in the 90s it was all people talked about it, to the point where there were educational commercials on kids channels like Nickelodeon about it, but this thread made me realize I hadn't so much as heard it mentioned in almost a decade.

you and I, sir, seek the same illumination

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002
I TAKE BAGS FROM GUILD BANKS TO RESELL ON THE AUCTION HOUSE. I'M A CUNT.

Broccoli Cat posted:

you and I, sir, seek the same illumination

I don't know if your thread is going to able to get back on course anymore, I just want to say that if you had to have your thread destroyed by a bunch of random youtube videos, this was a pretty good batch.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

******************!!!!!

Norton Ghostride posted:

The greenhouse effect is a term that describes how energy from the sun is naturally trapped as heat by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. It's perfectly normal, and without it life as we know it probably wouldn't be able to exist on earth. The reason why you hear 'Climate Change' more than 'Greenhouse Effect' in the media these days is that the former term is more specific, describing the results of a runaway greenhouse effect as a result of our adding hideous amounts of CO2 to the atmosphere and loving with the natural order. For an extreme example of a runaway greenhouse effect, you need only look at Venus.

On Earth however, a much more modest change than what is observable on Venus can (and certainly will ) adversely impact shorelines through the melting of ice and subsequent rising sea levels, badly messing with agriculture by shifting farmable land further away from the equator, and generally throwing ecosystems planet-wide into chaos.

Can somebody explain this better than me? I'm no expert, and am really just posting from my own layman's understanding.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's Great
To Be A
Michigan Wolverine!

Note how the green house blends into the background forest. This is what is meant by the green house effect.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

One and the Same posted:

The greenhouse effect is a term that describes how energy from the sun is naturally trapped as heat by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. It's perfectly normal, and without it life as we know it probably wouldn't be able to exist on earth. The reason why you hear 'Climate Change' more than 'Greenhouse Effect' in the media these days is that the former term is more specific, describing the results of a runaway greenhouse effect as a result of our adding hideous amounts of CO2 to the atmosphere and loving with the natural order. For an extreme example of a runaway greenhouse effect, you need only look at Venus.

On Earth however, a much more modest change than what is observable on Venus can (and certainly will ) adversely impact shorelines through the melting of ice and subsequent rising sea levels, badly messing with agriculture by shifting farmable land further away from the equator, and generally throwing ecosystems planet-wide into chaos.

Can somebody explain this better than me? I'm no expert, and am really just posting from my own layman's understanding.

oh drat those "hideous amounts of CO2" and drat that "loving with the natural order" -no doubt the dirty dealings of Haliburton, et al

so, VENUS, you say? and the proximity of venus to the sun and the composition of its atmosphere compares to earth in EXACTLY how many THOUSANDS of different ways?

we do indeed need this "somebody" of which you speak

I'm even more confused than when I began this thread

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

******************!!!!!

Broccoli Cat posted:

oh drat those "hideous amounts of CO2" and drat that "loving with the natural order" -no doubt the dirty dealings of Haliburton, et al

so, VENUS, you say? and the proximity of venus to the sun and the composition of its atmosphere compares to earth in EXACTLY how many THOUSANDS of different ways?

Of that I have no doubt, but my guess would be that you've been on a steadily more confused trajectory since long before you started this thread.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

Broccoli Cat posted:

We can directly measure that less energy is leaving the atmosphere at the wavelengths of radiation that CO2 and other greenhouse gasses absorb. Yes, water vapor does the same thing and if we did something that consistently increased the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere, all other things being equal, it would lead to more heat being trapped in the atmosphere. If we were going to potentially double, or more, the concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere we'd probably be worried about much greater global temperatures rises than we are now.

We good? Can we go back to youtube videos?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Broccoli Cat posted:

Tv = ( Ts * (Rs / (2 * Rv))^0.5 ) * (1-A)^0.25
Tv = ( Ts * (6.96*108 / (2 * 1.08*1011))^0.5 ) * (1-A)^0.25
Tv = ( 5780K * (0.00322)^0.5 ) * (1-0.67)^0.25
Tv = ( 5780K * 0.0568) * (0.33)^0.25
Tv = 328.1K * 0.758
Tv = 248.7K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan...93Boltzmann_law
Without greenhouse effect, he temperature of Venus is 248.7K, which is -24.5 C or -12.1 F. This is COLDER than the Earth because Venus is much more reflective, reflecting 67% of light that hits it instead of the 30% that Earth reflects.

Since the surface temperature of Venus is 735K, the atmosphere has a greenhouse effect that raises the temperature 486K.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Inaction Jackson posted:

We can directly measure that less energy is leaving the atmosphere at the wavelengths of radiation that CO2 and other greenhouse gasses absorb. Yes, water vapor does the same thing and if we did something that consistently increased the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere, all other things being equal, it would lead to more heat being trapped in the atmosphere. If we were going to potentially double, or more, the concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere we'd probably be worried about much greater global temperatures rises than we are now.

sadly, we're not good, because your "data", or link to some bloggeresque data confirms my premise and I was not looking to have my premise confirmed.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

fermun posted:

Tv = ( Ts * (Rs / (2 * Rv))^0.5 ) * (1-A)^0.25
Tv = ( Ts * (6.96*108 / (2 * 1.08*1011))^0.5 ) * (1-A)^0.25
Tv = ( 5780K * (0.00322)^0.5 ) * (1-0.67)^0.25
Tv = ( 5780K * 0.0568) * (0.33)^0.25
Tv = 328.1K * 0.758
Tv = 248.7K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan...93Boltzmann_law
Without greenhouse effect, he temperature of Venus is 248.7K, which is -24.5 C or -12.1 F. This is COLDER than the Earth because Venus is much more reflective, reflecting 67% of light that hits it instead of the 30% that Earth reflects.

Since the surface temperature of Venus is 735K, the atmosphere has a greenhouse effect that raises the temperature 486K.

those TWO comparisons were excellent. bravo, my dear friend.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

time for nitey nite. perhaps someone in micronesia will be able to help me out. I wish you all the best.

just2410
Nov 18, 2012

What's going on? I was preparing to show how solar radiation has remained almost flat (or slightly declining) over the past two decades of warming, but is this rather some huge joke being pulled?
Edit: I was expecting links to greenman3610 (climate denial crock of the week) in the first few replies, but that works too, I guess.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Inaction Jackson posted:

Fun story, it turns out that increasing the temperature of the earth a tiny bit with CO2 makes it so that the upper atmosphere can hold just THAT much more water vapor, etc. Nudging an equilibrium humans depend on for basically everything: probably not the best idea?

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

- hi

How could one get drunk on beer? It has way less alcohol than vodka. Therefore, it is impossible to get drunk on beer.

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

Ocean Book posted:

How could one get drunk on beer? It has way less alcohol than vodka. Therefore, it is impossible to get drunk on beer.

Very True. Can you prove you can get drunk on Beer? If not, global warming doesn't Exist

katlington
Jun 26, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

Pictured: Emotional reactionist ideologue displaying his wanton disregard for logic.

Ground floor. -KAi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

David Icke is a goon?