Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Totally Reasonable posted:

A bacon double cheeseburger. The "buns" are grilled cheese sandwiches made with bread-cheese instead of bread.

mahfreedums.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

scamtank posted:

Because it looks like candy.

Exactly, I recall being very disappointed as a kid that happy, funky looking little candles like that weren't edible at all despite looking and smelling so good.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

Because Gary Lineker died for our sins.

That goes well with this classic from the Fast Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4I1ye2gcEo

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Hipster Shockwave

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Is there a difference between American and European seagulls? Because I've been pretty familiar with seagulls all my life and if anything they still flap away wildly if a human so much as approaches them.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Eh, I am European, but probably Finland and some parts of America have different gulls than the North Sea does!

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DreamingApe posted:

as usual, belgian seagulls are more polite than their dutch counterparts. Dutch seagulls will scream bloody murder at you if you approach them and when you add some of the rear end in a top hat ducks that we've got around here in the mix it's a goddamn battlefield for your breadcrumbs.

That is all true, but on the other hand, Belgian seagulls are more pleasant to listen to and eat better food.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

Hope my grainy picture comes through, US mens team in the World Cup qualifier against panama faces the wrong way during the national anthem

I realise it's more normal when playing against another country, but something that struck me while I was in the US three years ago was that there are motherfucking flags everywhere. Like, you can't turn a corner someplace and see the Stars & Stripes hanging from a building, planted in a corner or used as part of a logo design. I even saw buildings with multiple flags. I understand that Americans are pretty chauvinist, but I never saw that amount of national flags in the United Kingdom or France - also both chauvinist nations. Or is it a reminder to very dim people that they are in America? It can't be that either, can it?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm in San Francisco and I don't see US flags anywhere. There are rainbow flags in the Castro and you'll see some Giants flags though.

Maybe it's different from city to city. I was in Chicago.

Or you've grown so accustomed to flags that you don't notice them anymore.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Wax Dynasty posted:

Yes, there are many more flags on display here in the US than in some other countries, but it's not as unique (or bellicose) as you make it seem. Have you been to Switzerland? Flags everywhere. Germany, not so much. The Philippines is full of flags, but not Japan. Like many things here, the flag has been commodified and if you look you'll notice that the vast majority of flags are flying on corporate buildings. Hell, it's practically law that car dealerships have to have the largest flags available because they catch your eye. Flags on homes are unusual outside of certain holidays like Memorial Day or the 4th of July. Also, nice red text.

You're right, I also noticed it in Switzerland. But then, the Swiss are really nationalist.

My guess is that Germany and Japan downplay flag nationalism a bit for obvious reasons.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Someone on the last page was talking about speculoos in Northern France, but let me tell you that this attempt by the French to steal yet another cultural aspect from Belgium (and the Netherlands) will not stand. It's lovely enough already to have to explain to people that French fries are not French :(. Incidentally, and I'm not joking, if you want to get into a fist fight with a Belgian real quickly, keep insisting that French fries are French.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Seriously? If by 'get into a fight' you mean 'elicit a half-hearted shrug', then yes. It's certainly not enough for me to start bashing clueless foreigners' heads in.

Of course, I wouldn't expect a Flemish nationalist to get upset about such matters :smug:.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Pity, I'd thought it would've been something like 'frittor'.

Inpossible posted:

Isn't it an American thing to call them French fries?

Yes, but most L2 English speakers learn American English, even in Europe.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Also note how all these women look somewhat to very attractive and in their 20s while all these guys are at least older than 30. I bet they've turned down many a qualified male job applicant with some bullshit excuse, which strengthens my belief that the most terrible sexists to men are, in fact, men.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

This would have been in 1998 or 1999, but my highschool had German as a mandatory class and (for those rich enough to afford it) an exchange program. They warned us about German poo poo-shelf toilets. Also that German host families might think you're weird and obsessive (or just wasting water) for showering every day.

Showering every day is not good for most people's skin and is indeed pretty drat wasteful. The only time of the year I take daily showers is when it's blazing hot and I feel dirty/sticky after spending half a day outside.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I doubt people with medical BO problems would be helped by showering daily anyway since the stink is coming from the inside.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

This is actually David Mitchell:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Have a giant cat instead.

What's the story behind this?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Never mind, I already found the story, but thanks for confusing curiosity with autism, I guess.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

Who was it that had this as an avatar? Posted in D&D constantly...

Boniface I think

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I Am Crake posted:

You are also the only country in the world that doesn't call Axe "Axe" so I just assume you call everything by a different name.

Brits have pretty ridiculous names for a lot of things, but not calling Axe 'Axe' makes sense.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

Doesn't the target group have to be offended by a word for it to be considered a slur? It's like cracker. No white person has ever been offended by being called a cracker.

well except racists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Max posted:

Most images of Jesus on the cross include a skull somewhere within the frame as a reference to Golgotha, or Adam's skull. It makes sense that a painting about Jesus making a sacrifice for man would throw that in there.

Or the dude is a serial killer. Honestly, it could go either way.

I actually thought a skull in Christian-inspired painting is a memento mori.

• Locked thread