Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendell
May 11, 2003

The two you don't know are from Journey and Kid Icarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Is that Samara/Morinth the actual face model again? If not then she's a spitting drat image of her.

Arbor Day
Jun 24, 2004

vrooom vrooom crash

fralbjabar posted:

No idea whatsoever on these next two. Anybody know?

The first one is Journey, I think?

Oops, I was slow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vanderdeath posted:

Is that Samara/Morinth the actual face model again? If not then she's a spitting drat image of her.

Probably. It's gettin' a little sad at this point unless she is getting paid for it.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Inzombiac posted:

Probably. It's gettin' a little sad at this point unless she is getting paid for it.

Doesn't seem any more sad than any other cosplayer dressing up as a character they like...

Plus, didn't she pay for the costume with money donated by fans or something?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

quote:

Check out the dude on the left. Spidey stiffed the wrong delivery boy...

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

McPantserton posted:

People are way meaner on the internet, too. The worst thing anybody's ever said to me about my cosplay in person is that women just dress up in 40k outfits to get male attention, what the christ. I think it can be harder to make a costume that doesn't fit your body type--I had a difficult time with my last suit of armor because the character was super slender and boyish but I'm much more hourglass-y and the breastplate just wasn't going to be perfectly accurate. But I agree, unless you're not comfortable with it, we're talking about playing dress-up here. Be whoever you want.

Do you have any pictures of you doing 40K? I've never been super into the idea of cosplaying for myself but I've always been tempted by bulky costumes like 40K or Big Daddies from bioshock.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

e: never mind, didn't see the new page

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Geektox posted:

Do you have any pictures of you doing 40K? I've never been super into the idea of cosplaying for myself but I've always been tempted by bulky costumes like 40K or Big Daddies from bioshock.

I do! The only real photoshoot we did with the 40k armor was a greenscreen one so it's kind of either that or con photos, ugh. I'm the classic Sister of Battle, my group is the marine, Sister Repentia, and Eisenhorn.

I'm jazzed, we're heading out to a little convention a few hours away today to just wear our Soul Calibur stuff around and have fun. It's always nice to do that before you're about to jump head-first into a super intense summer of costuming to remember why it seems like a good idea in the fist place. :shobon:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Where do you store all this stuff? I mean, I have a whole side of my walk-in closet dedicated to costumes, but they're just fabric.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

McPantserton posted:

I do! The only real photoshoot we did with the 40k armor was a greenscreen one so it's kind of either that or con photos, ugh. I'm the classic Sister of Battle, my group is the marine, Sister Repentia, and Eisenhorn.

I'm jazzed, we're heading out to a little convention a few hours away today to just wear our Soul Calibur stuff around and have fun. It's always nice to do that before you're about to jump head-first into a super intense summer of costuming to remember why it seems like a good idea in the fist place. :shobon:

Dude, you have some sick poo poo. What kind of material do you use to make the armor?

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

fralbjabar posted:

Formal uniform shepard.

It's an impressive costume but a little weird that he got the rank on the hat wrong.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Heres Hank posted:

It's an impressive costume but a little weird that he got the rank on the hat wrong.

Could be that he's not actually playing Shepard but a random soldier in the Mass Effect world in the formal uniform? He looks like he could be military himself, so maybe he just transplanted his rank over.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Where do you store all this stuff? I mean, I have a whole side of my walk-in closet dedicated to costumes, but they're just fabric.

Our entire storage locker is just costumes at this point. :shobon: I keep my stuff in rubbermaid bins as best I can. My buddy with the terminator armor has a storage area that's chain link with the suit inside just standing there all set up. It's awesomely creepy.

Pandasmores posted:

Dude, you have some sick poo poo. What kind of material do you use to make the armor?

Thanks! For the 40k suit I used a variety of poo poo--the shoulder packs are yoga mat EVA foam, arms and shins are wonderflex coated in bondo, boobs are papier mache coated in bondo, jetpack is a cardboard mailer + styrofoam balls + folded foam core coated in (surprise) more bondo.

My most recent costume (Hilde from Soul Calibur IV), is made out of way better materials though--sheet styrene and sintra. It's way lighter and WAY more durable. I'm pretty much a 100% convert to plastics, insulation foam and EVA just take too much of a beating and I'm super not interested in remaking/repairing stuff all the time!

You should come hang out in the cosplay building thread in DIY & Hobbies, too!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
drat, that's pretty nice. Any chance you'll go back and make a second set with SCV's griffon motif?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

404GoonNotFound posted:

drat, that's pretty nice. Any chance you'll go back and make a second set with SCV's griffon motif?

I thought about it, I like that suit a lot too, but my current cosplay to-build list is already super loving long (mostly finished self-designed art nouveau armor, StarCraft, Judge Gabranth from FFXII, Warhammer 40k upgraded armor, and so on). I'd definitely do the SCV armor if my group wanted to do another round of Soul Calibur but we've already planned like 2 years ahead at this point and I'm looking forward to doing some big bulky poo poo this summer! :woop:

e. But now I'm looking at SCV Hilde and it looks easier than SCIV, and I am a professional printer and it's got so many printed parts, and those foot armor plates are super cool, and I could probably do it pretty easily... :shepface:

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Mar 24, 2013

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
And here's day 2 of PAX East. I know there were a ton of costumes I missed, but this is what I saw that stood out to me:

Megaman and Samus

Also plague doctorish something in the background there. I wanted to get a picture of him all day but I only ever seemed to see him going the opposite direction from me on an escalator or on the show floor from one of the bridges. And I apparently caught him in the background of the first shot I took today...

Shepard

Chandra, fire hair had lights in it which don't show up very well here.

Kick-rear end

Wreck-It Ralph

Bane and Catwoman

No idea, I'm guessing League of Legends because she was hanging out by the riot booth but I'm not 100% on that.

More question marks.

Another vault dweller

Something very purple?

Zelda group, Zelda blinked in both shots I took :argh:

Unsure of the left here, but a very impressive costume!

The next ones are all League of Legends, but I don't know specific character names.

Female assasin, not familiar enough with the games to know if she's doing a female version of one of the main characters or just a generic assasin.

Hawkeye and ???

No idea again for any of the next three.

Another assasin, again no idea if he's a specific character or not.

The wrist blades were spring loaded and I got a video of him whipping them out, but unfortunately I was a dumbass and kept the camera in portrait orientation while doing so.

Pokeymons

Cultists, there were more of them wandering around earlier in the day but these were the only ones I managed to catch up with.

And finally, another group of I don't know what.

fralbjabar has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Mar 24, 2013

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

fralbjabar posted:

And finally, another group of I don't know what.

That's Lucca from Chrono Trigger on the right. No idea about the others.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

fralbjabar posted:

Unsure of the left here, but a very impressive costume!

The lefty is a creepy robot from The Girl in the Fireplace episode of Doctor Who. They're clockwork repair bots.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

fralbjabar posted:

And here's day 2 of PAX East. I know there were a ton of costumes I missed, but this is what I saw that stood out to me:
Hawkeye and ???

Hawkeye is with Captain Marvel (Carol)
The knight is from Dark Souls. Also there's A Marceline from Adventure Time.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Editing in cosplay ID's to your post here:

fralbjabar posted:

No idea, I'm guessing League of Legends because she was hanging out by the riot booth but I'm not 100% on that.

That's a Guild Wars 2 Mystique costume.

And Marceline from Adventure Time!

Freya, my favorite character from FFIX.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

fralbjabar posted:

Megaman and Samus

Specifically, it's Megaman X.
:goonsay:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

This one is a pretty good Freya from Final Fantasy IX

Edit, fb

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

fralbjabar posted:

Sun Bro!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

fralbjabar posted:

Praise the Sun! (It's Solaire from Dark Souls)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Praise the Sun! (It's Solaire from Dark Souls)

Really? I thought it was one of the knights from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was totally thinking Monty Python as well. Anyway, here's my friend and her girlfriend as the Coon and Professor Chaos:

By the end of this week I'll be caught up enough in grad school poo poo to continue working on my own costumes. I would love to finally contribute to the other cosplay thread at long last.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to this person's feet/how they pulled off the "I've got no friggen feet" look?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Does anyone have any idea what happened to this person's feet/how they pulled off the "I've got no friggen feet" look?

Severe heels, one assumes.

Alternatively, this would be a great costume for somebody who lost their feet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pope Guilty posted:

Severe heels, one assumes.

Yep, something like this with funfur wrapped around the outside:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

fralbjabar posted:

Also plague doctorish something in the background there. I wanted to get a picture of him all day but I only ever seemed to see him going the opposite direction from me on an escalator or on the show floor from one of the bridges. And I apparently caught him in the background of the first shot I took today...
The dude in the background is an Assassin's Creed Ottoman doctor, and they pulled it off quite well, despite the hat just perched precariously on top of their head. I love doctor's plague masks; there's just something about them that compels me to cosplay one someday.

fralbjabar posted:

Another assasin, again no idea if he's a specific character or not.

This is Ezio (also of Assassin's Creed fame).

And this is Femzio. :haw:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Iacen posted:

Really? I thought it was one of the knights from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The helmet and pose he's doing makes me 100% positive it's Solaire from Dark Souls and not King Arthur from Monty Python, although I think Solaire's design clearly takes inspiration from that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that the creator of the Souls series is a big Monty Python fan, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep, something like this with funfur wrapped around the outside:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_I2Vgp-Gddxs/TI398v3FqII/AAAAAAAANyQ/4Wtu6glEX-s/s1600/hoof.jpg

You can get them with hooves.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

My feet hurt just looking at those.

Minea
Feb 14, 2013

I'm sure it'll go away

You are quite amazing at what you do! I've always enjoyed plate mail designs, will start looking at the DIY thread for Cosplay and costumes so that I can start seeing how people do all of this, and potentially cosplay at an event in the future.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

raverrn posted:

My feet hurt just looking at those.

I think the back part along the sole is pretty rigid and connects to the "hoof" part, so I'm guessing it's not quite as bad as it looks. Otherwise, only ballerinas could wear them for any length of time.

I mean...I'm sure it's still not comfy, by any means, but not as bad as being on your tip-toes all day.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

fralbjabar posted:

More question marks.

Ahri and Lux, also from LoL. :spergin:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Minea posted:

You are quite amazing at what you do! I've always enjoyed plate mail designs, will start looking at the DIY thread for Cosplay and costumes so that I can start seeing how people do all of this, and potentially cosplay at an event in the future.

Thank you! It's really a passion of mine. :D I've found that just being willing to do work and spend money are the absolute critical aspects of getting a costume done, no matter how skilled or experienced you are. For example, when we built our Big Daddy suit, it was our first costume that wasn't totally fabric. It was largely a matter of being willing to drop a ton of cash on weird poo poo and spend a fuckton of time on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

grumplestiltzkin posted:

You can get high heeled shoes without a heel, if that makes sense, if I were going to make a pair of goaty-hooves I'd probably use a pair like this

They were made pretty popular by lady gaga a few years ago and can be bought pretty cheaply online now, I saw a pair for £5 the other day.
I doubt they're those crazy ballerina shoes, from what I've seen they are excruciating to walk in and only really sold for editorials and photo shoots, instead of shoes you would walk around in, even at a convention.

• Locked thread