Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Got poo poo-canned from work last month with 3 months severance and have been living the dream since. Wake up when I want with a bong rip to meet the day, beer with breakfast, shower after a run with the dog, video games/Netflix/HBOGO until my eyes bleed, dinner of some sort (maybe I'll make a nice steak meal; alternatively, I'll just eat an entire tub of hummus), start up till 3 reading the internet. Pretty awesome.

Only downside is knowing I will eventually need to look for a job to avoid starvation (but that's many months away with how much I saved up from the last 18 months work). Oh well, time for another drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

This. I would have been able to live on the dole for like, 11 months, if I did my unemployment sooner.

Just got my work to send me the separation notice last week, but planning to apply tonight. How involved is the process, and how long until checks start coming in?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

whatshesaid posted:

Not to harsh your *buzz* on purpose, but... you might want to stop with the weed, especially if you're looking for a new job. Unless you live in a state where it's legal and/or no one gives a poo poo.

Thanks, dad.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Bulb blew out on my big rear end DLP tv. Ordered a new one from amazon that should be here tuesday. Bought. Tiny rear end tv at walmart to use for the weekend that I will return after the bulb comes in. Not sure if bachelor, white trash, or both.

Rental "purchases" are very bachelor. I do this with tools all the time; other than cable guys, who the gently caress needs a CAT-5 crimper for more than a weekend?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I'm cooking a casserole or savoury mince and I need to thicken it, I just mix a little flour and water in a cup and slowly stir it it. It doesn't take much at all to thicken even a big pot to a nice consistency.

Use cornstarch instead (or arrowroot if you have it); it imparts less flavor than flour.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Negromancer posted:

Squirt is a caffeine-free, citrus-flavored, carbonated soft drink, created in 1938 in Phoenix, Arizona.

They also make ruby red squirt which is pretty delicious too if you want something a bit sweeter. Both make excellent hangover drinks.

When I was younger, my friends and I would bit the ends off of twizzlers and use them as straws to drink squirt. That poo poo was delicious, but your teeth kind of hurt afterwards.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Went to a party last night at a friend's house. Brought a bottle of Eagle Rare 10yr and a handle of Stoli (I'm usually a mooch at these friends' house, so figured I'd return the favor). Eagle Rare was all but untouched, Stoli was drat near assassinated. Took the Eagle Rare home with me this morning out of disgust.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I like Buffalo Trace, and a 750ml is usually about 17-20 bucks near me (Georgia). I prefer it over similarly priced items such as Makers or Four Roses.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

This happen to me when I was around 20 years old. I just bought a bag of cough drops and sucked on them over the remaining tooth until the pain went away. I eventually got the remaining tooth removed a few years later.

Jesus Christ, that is loving hardcore. Were you poor or just inhumanly lazy?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

kelvron posted:

Just drink it straight from the growler. Who needs to dirty another glass, plus it feels totally badass.

And you can play in a jug band; drink more for different octaves!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's some truth to this, actually. One of the funnier stories I heard was when a bunch of wine critics were tested to see if they could identify wines and they couldn't. Somebody was taking cheap rear end wine and putting it in fancy bottles and it was getting rated very high. Same wine in a cheap bottle got rated badly. Later they served these guys some white wine with red food coloring and they couldn't tell the difference between the colored white wine and the actual red stuff. Really, wine snobbery is bullshit. If you like it drink it and grab whatever kind you like. If you don't like it whatever, drink something else.

That being said...

Sherry is really, really good if you like desserty drinks. Port is also fantastic. Generally they're like 20% alcohol too so it's good if you want something strong but not a liquor. Port wine is easily my favorite booze. The stuff is absolutely delicious and I've been introducing more and more people to it. I describe the flavor of port as "hey man, chill out, life is OK" and really other people have agreed with me. I don't know what it is about port but one sip of it just calms me right the hell down no matter what is going on.

Cooking with port also leads to good sauces.

It also depends what you consider "cheap wine." I get the feeling most people could tell the difference between a $4 bottle of wine and a $40 bottle of wine, but less so between a $40 bottle of wine and a $400 bottle of wine. Also, wine is rather subjective due to different palates and tastes. I don't really drink wine very much, but I do enjoy malbecs with steak.

As to port, it's just too sweet for me; I feel like it's Yom Kippur and 'm drinking manschevitz. Also, that poo poo can get real expensive real quick.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Trilineatus posted:

Find a good dentist in a good neighborhood that caters to decent folks. Call them up, explain your situation and your lack of insurance or whatever, and ask if they'd be willing to work with you on payment because you've heard what a phenomenal job they do and you're scared it will get hosed up again.

I did this and paid less than $200 for a crown and 3 filled cavities.

Seriously guys self pay for the dentist is a thing you can do, my dentist does cleanings for underinsured students for $45

Edit: and whatever you loving do don't go to goddamn western dental

This man speaks wisdom. My father was a dentist, who himself told me at a very young age that just like in every other profession, some doctors are good, some are bad. Some are excellent, and some are terrible. It sounds like the original poster had an absolutely terrible dentist, which makes me think of the old joke: "What do you call the guy who graduated at the bottom of his med school class?" "doctor".

Also, you are usually better off self paying for dental in most cases; reimbursements for doctors are real bad, so if you are able to pay cash, most dentists will do it for 50% or less of what they would charge if you were paying via insurance. That, in combination with how rarely you really need to go to the dentist (once or maybe twice a year), makes it that you usually end up paying more in premiums, deductibles, and non covered expenses that it males an all around better financial decison to self-insure.

If you want a good dentist, go to a sole proprietorship or small local partnership in a quiet part of town that has been established for 15-20 years. Chains and large pemractice groups are where hacks hide and billing divisions prey on unsuspecting patients.

Edit: phone postin' cleanup

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Sep 20, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know if there's a 150 proof Everclear, but in college the highest we could get was a 160 proof brand called Devil's Spring.

They do in Florida atleast. They also sell 153 "Diesel", which actually makes Natty Light taste better if you pour a half a shot into it after opening.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Rysithusiku posted:

Any recommendations on what to do with the rest of the vanilla vodka? Not my usual bag, so I don't have anything off the top of my head.

Root beer. It tastes like a root beer float. Cream soda also works, but it's so sweet I can only have one or two before you go into diabetic shock.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Turfahurf posted:

If you're gonna do karaoke, do paradise by the dashboard light Dinah Moe Humm by Frank Zappa, and sing both the male and female parts.

:colbert:

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Oct 16, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

whatshesaid posted:

tl;dr

A little of his crazy came out at the party, but it wasn't even a preview into what was to come. He started out loving on my dog but then eventually started smacking him around, and there was crying involved (on his part, definitely not mine). Called me "honey child" over and over, even after I pointed out that it made him sound like a huge douchebag. Was basically just a drunk piece of poo poo. I was wasted, and I could still recognize how ridiculous he was being.

Even better is the fact that you stilll banged him after he did all of these things (or at least that appears to be the implication).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

My Halloween plans are to sit in the dark drinking whiskey from the bottle hoping none of them little shits knock on my door. I may or may not stick an empty bowl out front with a sign saying take one.

My childhood illusions... shattered.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Sitting in my office, dressed as Kermit the Frog. I'm an attorney, and I have meetings with clients today. :911:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Go knock out a few thousand miles on the bike and then look at yourself in the mirror. Suddenly gorgeous!

edit: Also eat healthy and be proactive about mental health eg: drink less and execute checklists of things you've been putting off.

Dude, you are in the wrong thread. We are all about pissing through floorboards to save time in here, not about checklists and exercise bikes.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

You have incorrectly assessed the point of this thread and the previous bachelor megathreads.

There's a point? Maybe you've missed the point. Being a bachelor is about doing what you want, when you want, because you enjoy it and you don't give a drat whether other people like it. If you want to cum in a vase, go for it. If you want to drink until you pass out, more power to you. If you want to exercise and get in shape, awesome.

What being a bachelor is not about is being an upright prick who thinks he knows better than another stranger on the internet who he's never met before. And yes, I see the irony in my post.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Bachelor rice:

Put 1/2 cup of rice into nonstick pot. Put 1 cup of water into pot. Add salt and oil. Bring to boil. Boil until water is just above rice. Place tight fitting lid over pot, reduce to simmer. Simmer for ten minutes. Done.
Secret bachelor trick: once rice is cooked via above method, add canned soup to rice and return to boil. Once bubbles form (or once whole mixture is hot to touch), you are ready to eat dinner for less than $1.50.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I don't know if anyone needs this product, but if anyone does it's probably one of us. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/840385497/shotgunr-the-best-way-to-shotgun-beer?ref=nav_search

I love that they invented something to put on your keychain, when a key works (almost) just as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

AKZ posted:

Don't do that with a gun.

Also, make sure it is loaded and pointed at something you don't want to destroy.

• Locked thread