Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My mom had a cat who would lick your hair if she happened to be on the back of the couch. She especially liked if you'd been in a swimming pool recently, and one of our friends was a lifeguard at the Y so she especially liked him.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Magres posted:

KIITTTYYYYY :3:

If I could have any pet I could think of, I would have a giant housecat - like a Maine Coon the size of a German Shepherd. He would be giant, fluffy, and his purring would sound like a chainsaw

Well, this is for you then: a video comparing a black leopard to a black housecat. They are pretty much the same.

http://vimeo.com/62137814#at=0

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I was walking past a tennis court today and these two ladies were playing tennis and had a golden retriever tied to the fence. He was whining and quivering because he wanted that ball SO BAD. I was like, "Hey y'all are being awfully mean to this nice doggie" and one of the ladies said that she had to tie him up because he was a danger to himself and she would show me. So she untied him and they started hitting the ball back and forth and that poor dog did not know what to do with himself. He tried to turn around so fast as the ball flew by him that he almost knocked himself over. It was pretty much like the first half of this gif:

It was hilarious--he ended up with two balls in his mouth and kept chasing them.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A guy finds that his new coworker is actually his long lost brother: http://bangordailynews.com/2009/09/18/news/coworkers-at-waldoboro-store-discover-they-are-brothers/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

All on Black posted:

There's something very :3: to me about older people who embrace technology.

Old people who don't understand technology can be pretty :3: too. My grandpa Charlie's reaction to an iPad was "What the Sam Hill is this? Some kind of mirror?"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

fork bomb posted:

Did he really say "sam hill?"

e: Wiki's take on "Sam Hill"

Yes, he would also say "I don't give a Continental!" instead of "I don't give a drat." Other notable phrases included "for my money, she's a no-talent babe" and "handy as a pocket in a shirt."

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Geolicious posted:

My grandpa had a Border Collie who went everywhere with him in his truck. Of course, being creepy smart, it didn't take her long to figure out how to honk the horn if she thought he was taking too long with his errands.

My grandpa (same guy who thought the iPad was a mirror) used to drive around with his scruffy old dog and whenever someone said "what a nice dog" or whatever, he'd exclaim, "That's no dog-that's the missus!"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A little boy in a high chair comes to the conclusion that he would like to be a vegetarian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fRNNzMZgrzs

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
One of the nice things about Where the Hell is Matt is that I think he tries to dance with as many people in their traditional costumes as possible. I liked the guys from Papua New Guinea the best, I think.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I posted that gif here a couple months ago but someone cropped out the dad in your version. Here, this one is cuter. Dads :3:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ozz81 posted:

Spotted this in related - cat licking a sour apple lollipop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5gNEiUxMk

The look on its face...just, oh man :xd:

This is funny because cats can't taste sweet. So he just likes the sour flavor? I used to have a cat (named Booker T. Looker T. Babycakes Bean) who liked peppermint, including toothpaste. You'd have to put your toothbrush in the cupboard or he would chew on it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Radio! posted:

Mint is closely related to catnip :science:

Well, that makes sense, but sour apple flavor and pancake syrup? :iiam:

Anyway, BuzzFeed had a list of "28 Ways to Spot a Real Man" which was actually really good.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/periwinklejones/20-pictures-that-show-you-what-a-real-man-looks-li-adho

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Latrell was adopted at the age of 13, and didn't have any baby pictures of himself. His mother is a professional photographer, so she did a "newborn" photoshoot for him.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ulvir posted:

:kimchi:

I'm finally sold on 3D printing. I used to think it was just a stupid pointless gimmick for rich fucks to mess around with, but this video turned me around. It can actuually be a pretty useful technology.

Then you'd better check out RoboHand, which is a set of 3D printed fingers that is completely open source--anybody with access to a 3D printer can one. Kids without fingers can swap them out for bigger ones as they get older, easily replace broken parts, etc.

They can even make a :h:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It's because 3d printing is so cheap and accessible compared to designing plastic molds and having the huge equipment to use them. A 3d plastic printer can fit on a normal desk and the materials are cheap. And you don't need to design and make a new mold every time, you just edit the printout pattern on your computer if you need the same part bit very slightly bigger, or just one small tweak to the shape of it, or something like that.

Also, all the designing can be done via the internet. Robohand is done by two guys, Richard in South Africa and Ivan in America. Richard cut off all four of his fingers in a woodworking accident and Ivan made a giant costume puppet hand and posted it on Youtube. Richard emailed him and they started working on various prosthetic finger prototypes, but they didn't have a 3D printer, so Richard had to send a cast of his hand to Ivan, who made a couple different designs and mailed them to South Africa, and so on until they got two 3D printers. Now they can design things on the computer and Richard can print them out right away instead of waiting for weeks to get them in the mail.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cat family.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Scott has cerebral palsy but he kills it at the gym: http://www.wimp.com/littlelonger/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Trilineatus posted:

My first real job was as a caregiver for people with cerebral palsy, and man, I think it got a little dusty in here all of a sudden.

When you work with people who have given up on their lives surrounded by people who don't think they can succeed and be normal and independent, it's nice to see someone tell them to go screw themselves and just loving kill it.

Actually, the thing I was thinking about while watching that video is that the iPad is really fantastic for people like Scott--he can't talk, but he can speak with the iPad. It used to be that sort of technology was really rare and expensive (think Stephen Hawking's talking computer), but now regular people can like Scott can have a voice, too. Much like a 3D printer, the iPad seemed like a rich person toy at first, but it's really interesting to see what people are using it fore besides Angry Birds.

And on the subject of dance, I love watching street style dances. Here are three little boys krumping--they all have unique styles, and while one is dancing, the other two are perfectly still (a rare trait in six year old boys). Watch until the very end to see them switch from pro dancers to kids in a split second. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DURPW7snUXE the sound in this video kind of sucks but you don't need it to appreciate the dancing.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I know we all like prosthetic limbs in this thread (or at least I do), so check out these functional art limbs:

Crystals

Flowers

Biomechanical

These are all by a designer named Silvia de Oliveira Barata ( link ) and I just love them.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Good News Everyone posted:

This was the first photo I ever took of one of my two Siamese kittens, Charlie. At the last second he stuck his adorable dumb head right into the lens.

After the capybara photos, I thought this was a closeup of capybara nostrils.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It's weird to go any place that has different animals. I went to college just four hours away (Missouri to Iowa) and they had different squirrels and I never really did get over it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

AstroWhale posted:

Once, I lived close to a lake full a frogs in the spring. Somehow, everyone hated the sound but i loved it. :3:
Apparently frogs "croak" in English, what a cute word :3: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUcfvd0X9rg

They also say "ribbit". What sound do frogs make in whatever non-English language you speak?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My mom is going to get kittens and my dad is going to build them an outhouse like this (cat door that leads to outdoor litterbox in a tiny shed)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
But did he like your cat?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Abbeh posted:

Anyone have some really good cat/kitten gifs?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The Oregon Zoo had to anesthetize their Siberian tiger, Nikki, to give her a medical exam. They brought in a bunch of blind and visually impaired kids so they could experience the tiger.

I must admit, I'm pretty jealous. I want to touch the tiger.

http://portlandtribune.com/ttt/89-news/157460-blind-students-get-hands-on-encounter-with-tiger

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Inzombiac posted:

as a really fun side-effect, her food allergies are gone. No more bullshit near-vegan diet. All the burgers and beer is now hers!

I got to the part about food allergies and just started laughing. How great is that?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

"Half way around the globe... Still celebrated my birthday with Family.."

Somebody in this picture is up in the middle of the night but I don't know who.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Post all the coolest slugs you got.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ozz81 posted:

Spotted a link on my facebook feed that was basically full of awesome parenting photos :3:

Both of my parents are very talented craftspeople who made me all sorts of stuff when I was little. I had a very privileged childhood in that respect.

My mom made:
--a full-body stegosaurus costume complete with spiked tail
--a cat suit that matched our tuxedo cat
--multiple princess dresses and capes
--matching t-shirts and skirts for me and my best friend
--dozens of skirts, dresses, shirts, and pants

My dad made:
--a desk and built-in bookcases for my bedroom
--a four-poster doll bed that was a miniature copy of my own bed
--about a billion dominoes
--Zero, the ghost dog from The Nightmare Before Christmas, with a wooden head, cloth body, and marble nose
--little wooden mudskipper fish

Eventually I started making stuff with them, so now I can sew and do basic woodworking, so if I ever have kids...it's on.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

don Jaime posted:

Here comes a special boy!

Huuuuuuuugs!

As Jesus said, "Suffer the little children to escape from their moms, so that I may park them in my chair until after the speech is done."

I have a lot of issues with the Catholic Church but Francis seems to be a pretty great guy.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Xarr posted:

John Lewis ads

Thank you for posting these. I'm so glad this thread exists because I saw 12 Years a Slave and it was absolutely devastating, so I needed an antidote.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

-Zydeco- posted:

Started out the week bad and was getting too worked up, so I looked up an old favorite to calm down.

5 Minutes of a man laying a block wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGjA66RSm0
Exactly what it sounds like, but better than you think.

There's something really satisfying about watching a skilled craftsperson doing their thing. It's just mesmerizing. Check out these guys building an arched roof out of nothing but bricks and mortar, no struts or supports.

http://www.wimp.com/bricklayers/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zero Star posted:

And also this vid, of a baker who clearly loves what he does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUuKstAWof4

This video seems to have been blocked due to copyright bullshit, but I've seen it before (this one, I think?). I watched it with my husband, who is also a professional baker. It was pretty cool because apparently this is what my husband does all day, except not as cheerfully. He had had a lot of critiques about that guy's technique, though, in a very :smug: way. "Heh, he sucks at rounding. I'm much faster."

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
All my related videos were DIY engineering except one breast pump--I wonder if this correlates to watching those masonry videos earlier?

That cow is like a little kid trying to use a water fountain that they aren't quite tall enough for--they can push the button, and they can reach the spout, but not really at the same time.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

There are two things in this world that I love with all my soul: animals doing people stuff and buildings/houses that look like faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Caturday on Facebook provided me with a link to a collection of feline friends on Buzzfeed.

The last guy is an inmate who works with a cat fostering program--semiferal cats get socialized, inmates get a chance to develop empathy and responsibility. I found an article about cat fostering programs in prison and it's just full of :3:

quote:

“I think it gives our offenders an acceptable outlet to feel
love and to show a softer side of himself in a setting that
does not promote these feelings or behavior,” Workman
says. “It is amazing to see a full-grown man stand in front
of you with a tiny kitten in one hand and tell you why
there is not another kitten like his in the world.
"

• Locked thread