Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Have a newborn gorilla. Born at the San Francisco Zoo yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Looking for a new wallpaper, I came across a picture of the Scottish highlands I liked, but didn't find a wallpaper sized version, so I googled for more. And I ended up with a cute wallpaper instead.

Highland cows are the greatest.

Here is the wallpaper sized as well as some others, wanted to give the original author credit: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-beautiful-original-wallpapers-makeuseof-authors/

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Some animals love mail/postmen. It's a guy that comes to visit them everyday like clockwork, who is often friendly to them because delivering mail is boring and a nice animal to visit breaks the monotony. There was plenty of cats and dogs on my dad's route, but his favorite was the squirrel that would run to his truck, or wait there if he missed him when he first pulled up.

My dog absolutely loves when UPS or FedEx come because one of the UPS guys would always bring dog treats with him. And my dad got enough packages that we had a regular guy, so she'd see him often. Haven't seen him for awhile, but she still gets all excited when she hears the trucks and has to have a treat afterwards.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Carecat posted:

Guess pigs do eat ice cream!

I usually go to at least one county fair a year, if not the state fair as well and the one thing I always have to see if they have it is the pig races. And what do they use to motivate the pigs to make their way around the track? Some vanilla ice cream and an oreo cookie.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I've been substitute teaching elementary schools for about a month and a half now and it can get really stressful at times. But the cuteness of these kids is pretty ridiculous. I've started getting hugs in schools I've revisited, I always get at least one hello when I revisit a school, even if I'm not in their class.

And yesterday I got a hug from a little girl in my class out of the blue, which was just :3:

Today was Valentine's of course. The kids were all hyped up from candy and the holiday so they were a bit wild. Add in that I have no voice from being sick, it was pretty frustrating.

And then one of the little girls walks up and hands me this and I pretty much just melted.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Pilli posted:

I can barely imagine how this made your day... month... :3:

It's sitting on my desk and I keep smiling whenever I look at it. And I just want to show it to everyone because it's just so adorable. I've been envious of what the teacher's classrooms I visit have in terms of gifts and adoration from students and now I have my own version :3:

Makes me want to be a teacher even more now.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

My g/f is a teacher in the UK and she'd probably get into serious trouble fro hugging a pupil :( What a dumb world we live in.

Some pics of my dog:

I always thought it'd be a problem, but if a kid does it on their own you can't really blame them for it. And I see students hug their normal teachers all the time and they don't get corrected. Makes me feel a bit better about the world that they are allowed to show affection.

One day I did a half-day coverage for a teacher and when he came back, nearly every student either hugged him, high fived him or gave him a fist bump and they all welcomed him back. It was amazing seeing such admiration and respect for him.

Your dog is gorgeous, by the way.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I've shared the cuteness of the elementary kids I've subbed for in the past, with the Valentine's card I got. But this last week a bunch of 5th graders almost made me cry in front of them.

I had covered this class when I started doing this back in January and I guess the teacher liked me so she asked me to cover her class for two weeks after Spring Break because she was going to Europe. It was an 8 day assignment, with Mondays off because they have a different teacher that day. The longest assignment I've had.

We had a pretty easy time, some problems, but the kids were generally very good, talkative but good.

Then the last day came. I put "Mr. Young's Last Day" on the board with a frown face opposite my usual Happy Friday message. As soon as one of my students saw it, she added another frown, another student added a "WHY?"

Another student started making a card for me, trying his hardest to hide it from me, but I spotted it quite early. But of course pretended not to see it. This was the result:

They had all signed it by the end of the day. A completely separate student had made a welcome back card for their teacher, all on her own too. These are a great group of sweet, caring students.

But what got me teary-eyed is when one student handed me this card. She had been one of the most well-behaved students the whole week. A very bright, very kind girl.

If you can't read the cursive:
"Dear Mr. Young,
I want to thank you for taking the time to substitute our class. Even though our class was loud and stuff I hope you enjoyed being with us. You are probably my favorite substitute. You are very kind and fun. We all love you. Sincerely, Alexandra"

It was hard to hold it together after reading it. And even harder when they all yelled Thank You at the same time to me.

These are 5th graders, so in a months time they are leaving elementary to the scary, awful world of middle school. I probably won't see them before they graduate, so I wished them the best. They invited me to their graduation, which is tempting but also feels kind of weird. I hope they remain as sweet, but we all know what middle school does.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Buggiezor posted:

Nthing that you should totally go to the graduation! It's not like you're just some creeper dude showing up to watch kids. You're their substitute teacher! I'm sure you know other teachers there and stuff. I don't think anyone would have a problem with you going.
I know if it was my kid and I said "Who is that guy?" "Oh he was their substitute for a couple weeks" I'd think it was adorable you even cared enough to come.

Possibly. It was unbelievable how welcoming the staff was at that school. At least the principal and 5th grade teachers.

Maybe I'll shoot their teacher an email and see if she likes the idea + get the actual date. Today was her first day back, I hope they showered her with love and welcoming :3:

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

holy cow the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter is at 3.1 million already. It's like I'm surrounded by dust :3:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh

Hearing a bunch of 1st and 2nd grade teachers at a school that will benefit a lot from this was pretty uplifting when I was subbing at their school Friday. This will make a huge impact.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I went to Monterey for a couple days and I brought back pictures of cute marine life.

A sea otter hanging out in a bucket at the aquarium

Some sea lions hanging out at the wharf

This bugger was so loud and grumpy.

And some harbor seals hanging out on some rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Here is some feel good local news that popped up a few days ago

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/dogs-petaluma-shelter-all-find-homes/nhWNH/

Animal shelter ran out of dogs to adopt out!

They still have cats though.

• Locked thread