Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One of my cats summarizing what being a cat is all about; taking good things away from others and looking darn cute while at it.

Bastard was actually pretending he was stretching and it just "happened" to be towards a ham sandwich. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Have some cute Saimaa ringed seals:

They only live in Lake Saimaa in Finland since they got stuck there after the ice age. Sadly they're very close to extinction due to various reasons with only about 300 seals left, although nowadays they're strictly protected and the amount has at the very least increased since the 1980s. :unsmith:

They're the symbol of The Finnish Association for Nature Conservation and before the Euro they were also depicted in one of our coins:

They're cute little things.

Also look at this ol' playboy

"Hello, ladies. :smug:"

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Something I noticed in the local news, some time back Faryan Heravi, a terminally ill 10-year-old boy suffering from an aggressive form of lymphoma was much to his delight visited by the Finnish ice hockey player Teemu Selänne who promised the kid that if he beat the disease, he'd personally take him and his family for a tour to see the Honda Center, their hockey match, his locker room and anything else he wanted.

Turns out that against all odds he was recently declared clear of cancer, and without prompting the Anaheim Ducks called them to arrange the visit. Thus last Wednesday Selänne kept his promise:

LA Times posted:

Selanne took the boys and Bobby into the locker room, where a jersey with Selanne's No. 8 and the name HERAVI on the back awaited Faryan in Selanne's locker stall. Selanne helped him put it on and roll up the sleeves. It reached down past his knees.

"Is this actually real?" Faryan said, his fingers tracing the letters. "I'm going to keep it as long as I live."

They parted with hugs and promises from Selanne of playoff tickets for the family. Selanne often visits ailing kids here and in Finland, sometimes on his own and sometimes with teammates, but this encounter was different.

"Seeing him again," Selanne said, "it brings goose bumps on my body."

It also brought him a much-needed jolt of energy after a disappointing loss.

"It just shows it's just hockey and there's way bigger things than hockey," Selanne said. "You go home and give hugs to your kids."

Full story here.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Foxhound posted:

Crossposting from the gif thread:

Having a cat fall asleep on your lap and start twitching in their sleep is the funniest thing. It also feels pretty weird.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

I love how dogs and cats are polar opposites as it relates to belly patting...dogs get all grumpy when you don't pet them, cats maul your hand if you try :3:

Pff, since when, my cat loves bellyrubs to the degree that he just flops on his back whenever I walk near him.

E: Although now that I think about it, my cat does look pretty similar to that dog...

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Spotted this in the Finnish news today, an unidentified Finnish man wearing a Christmas gnome hat handed out envelopes to random passers-by with a letter and money in them.

My rough translation:

quote:

Hello, whoever you might be!

This Christmas I decided to challenge myself to forget my own cynical attitude towards other people, to get over my own greed and, in a departure from modern norms, do some genuinely unselfish deeds. Instead of amassing wealth for myself I instead decided to give it away to others. I decided to throw my suspicions to the wind and have faith in that every random passer-by I see on the street is worth a present...

Thus, included with this letter is a small Christmas present for you.

My wish is that you will use this money to bring Christmas spirit to yourself and those close to you. Exactly how you're going to accomplish this is completely up to you - whether you spend the money on presents, good Christmas food or whatever else you might come up with. In case you feel that you personally have no need for the money, you of course may also spread Christmas spirit yourself by giving it forward to those less fortunate.

Wishing you a happy Christmas,
a random passer-by

Also a quote from the person who received one of the letters:

quote:

He wished me merry Christmas and handed me an envelope. The most wonderful thing about it was the happiness radiating from his face, this must have been something very important for him as well. I will absolutely gift this forward, although I haven't come up with a recipient yet.

• Locked thread