Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Golden-i posted:

"I put on my robe and wizard cat..."

My dog was lying there like this, whining because his sunbeam had moved off of him and he didn't know what to do.

:3:

I always liked that Misty would lie down at the leading edge so as to get the maximum time as the sun shifted before she had to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is the special page.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Apparently "puggle" is a word for juvenile monotreme. I did not know this. Here's what I got when I first searched Wikipedia for "puggle."

:kimchi:

Yeah, it kinda bugs me, because puggle was always the cute word for baby echidnas and platypuses and then all of a sudden trendy designer dog breeders stole it. :reject:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Groghammer posted:

A photographer's grandma was really worried about him eating well on his international excursions, so the photographer took pictures of grandmas in every country, along with a dish they made.

I just spent ages looking through all of them and reading the stories, that was wonderful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YouSpoonyBard posted:

During an interview with a woman who had lost everything because of the recent tornadoes, she finds something very important:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/oklahoma-woman-finds-dog-video-tv-rubble-garcia.html

:unsmith:

Along the same lines, an older one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNgY1Rj1mc

:unsmith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, this is the first one, which a fair few people know of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WmMcqp670s

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pheeets posted:

I love that the whole story is told without words, the facial expressions are perfect. And I like that the name of this story is "M", as in the M on the tabby kitten's forehead.

Heh, a guy over in pet island found a kitten with a forehead M a little bit back. Named him Monty after the letter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A quote from this man on his holding the donor record: "I could say it's the only record that I hope is broken, because if they do, they have donated a thousand donations."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chili posted:

It is too early for a Christmas song, but it's never too early for a Tim Minchin song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q

poo poo makes me cry my eyes out every time.

This song really gets to me because alone out of the Christmas stuff it describes my Christmas memories to a tee. Christmas, to me, is a time spend in the garden under a shining sun with extended family lazing around a huge table where a well-wined endless lunch merges into afternoon tea into dinner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She better have adopted that kitten.

Oh god, the butt wiggle. :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bpower posted:

google "colbert outside us" or something like that. The answer is ModifyHeaders for Firefox.

Or Header Hacker for Chrome. You make a setting for "X-Forwarded-For Replace With 12.13.14.15" and then apply that to colbertnation.com and comedycentral.com

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lava Lamp posted:

Do cats feel shame? I kind of got the impression he was a little startled and then expectantly looking at them so they would get the treats out for him.

I doubt it was shame but it might well have been knowledge that he wasn't meant to be doing that. They can be aware that they'll get in trouble for things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geolicious posted:

This reminds me of when my cats play games there is always a spot that is "safe". The spot changes per game, but it's a very firm rule.

Volume posted:

My old room mates had three dogs. He'd let them loose in the front yard of the house and they'd go all out wild chasing each other and play fighting. One of the dogs tripped as he jumped over some bushes and scrambled onto the porch. The other dogs went to chase him, saw he was on the "safe spot" and proceeded among themselves until he felt good enough to rejoin them. I had no idea this was a common occurrence with pets.

I suspect this is less a safe 'spot' and more of a 'I don't want to play, I'm going to the side and will send off not-playing body language' and the other pets respect that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crocuta posted:

So apparently there are wallabies living in the wild in Europe in a few places including the Rambouillet forest in France. They are the ancestors of a few wallabies that escaped from a nearby animal park. :angel: Life finds a way :angel:

There's a big wild population living on the Isle of Man. I love the idea of this (relatively) little island in the middle of the British Isles, wallabies hopping around as part of the wildlife.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sea Angels also have a relation, the Sea Butterfly:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

particle409 posted:

See if you can find the second quokka.

The most adorable chestburster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tehloki posted:

Symbiosis of habitat like the clownfish + anemone could hardly be called domestication. There's no selective breeding or coercion by one party on the other, it's a bidirectional relationship.

It could be argued that that's the situation that occurred with cats up until we started breeding show breeds a century or so ago. We didn't deliberately domesticate cats so much as they slotted into a convenient niche we provided that was better than their previous situation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Have a baby pygmy possum.

Let's throw in a baby leadbeater's possum while we're at it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Motley posted:

The dog seems pretty indifferent to the cat, but this is just adorable.

To be fair, you can kinda tell by the way it lands that the cat is being very gently thrown rather than jumping by itself, but it's still cute.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snicker-Snack posted:

The cat has cerebellar hypoplasia, so it's naturally clumsy.

Ah, okay, that'd be it then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drlizh posted:

Is it something that could happen on accident, or do they need to be freaked out or pissed off.

The latter. If you get stabbed and you're not a professional of some kind who might have a reason to be handling the pissed off terrified platypus, you probably deserved it.

Platypuses are nocturnal, rare and very skittish and will always choose flight over fight if they can, you're not going to just bump into one in the wild.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You're supposed to jump over the lazy dog, do it again! :argh:

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Dec 6, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

goatface posted:

Your body can do amazing things with not much blood, for a while.

Please donate blood.

I can't I'm a dude and I've had a boyfriend who I had safe condom-clad sex with when we were both virgins and have since been tested as STD-free so no donating blood for me due to all that risk.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can see the foundation of her worldview crumbling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tardigrade posted:

While we're on the subject of marsupials, consider the sugar glider.

Sugar Gliders are possums. :eng101:

Sefiros posted:

All of them?

All the mainland population. It's a big issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was my cat weird for understanding mirrors perfectly fine?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is that some kind of polar bear/dog/stuffed animal hybrid?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nitebum posted:

Oh my. I've been considering getting a second kitty, so she'll have a playmate. This video just made that decision a lot easier...thanks :)

It's always a good idea; just make sure you introduce them right so they start off on good terms.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poodles are generally considered one of the most intelligent breeds, but so much about the expression of dog intelligence is based on how they're raised, and too many poodles get raised to be dumbarses.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What breed is Hana? That spotty coat pattern is amazing. I'd almost think she was one of those special hybrids if she weren't so tiny.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Feb 1, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iamyourking posted:

No, he does not. He does routinely beat up a golden retriever almost four times his size though.

Cats beating up Golden Retrievers isn't that uncommon. They're too nice.

My cat realised when she was young that she could stick her paws under the fence and get the Golden Retriever next door to charge them then pull them back at the last minute and drive him crazy. Oh, fun times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

goatface posted:

That cat lying down in the middle is amazing.

Cats that appear to be drowning in their own fur are wonderful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Teddybear posted:

Didn't realize that dogs could be made outta carpet.

cats can too apparently

I really wish those dogs and cat shared a house.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Magres posted:

Also, as far as Wombat v Fox goes, my vote goes to Wombat solely for how silly they are when they run.

What do you mean silly?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Magres posted:

I love that run so much :buddy:

It makes me just want to scoop them up and scratch their heads

scratch their bellies also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjKYkAdiSQ

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Triskelli posted:

To everyone that says birds aren't fluffy dinosaurs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs_ViAd-Cgg

Dinosaurs were feathery too, now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Buggiezor posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Mother Nature is such a tease to give such a deadly creature the most amazingly beautiful and cute face? I would snuggle sweet tigers forever. :3:

Look at it this way; mother nature kindly gave us miniature versions to snuggle safely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They used to do that for people who got poisoned by antifreeze and similar substances too, although nowadays they have better human-only treatments.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dienes posted:

You'd think with being the most randy parrot and all there would be more of them.

Proper Kakapo mating is a several-month long process that involves long mountain hikes, construction of sound amplification dishes, and group dance competitions. It is ridiculous the amount of poo poo a Kakapo has to go through to get it on with a lady.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

• Locked thread