Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Legend has it that Cundalini is still searching for his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Nope, People Eater is a fat guy played by John Howard (No, not that one) who runs Gasstown. He wears what's left of a business suit with his nipples exposed that are linked together with a chain. OF COURSE.

Rictus is one of his sons, but he is mutated on some way so he is not perfect, Joe's mission to to breed a pure child I think, Corpus might be his other, less fortunate son I have heard rumors about, played by Quentin Kenihan, a minor Australian celebrity for having a good sense of humor about his osteogenesis imperfecta.
This is Quentin Kenihan.

Enjoy!

OK, if they use that guy they have to have him perched on the back of some towering hulk of a man. Because....

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

The Cameo posted:

it just goes full throttle from a couple minutes in all the way until the credits start to roll.

Not seeing a downside to this.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
So we watched The Road Warrior tonight for the first time in years. It's right up there with Jaws as a movie that is practically perfect in every way.

Can next weekend just get here already?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

mr. stefan posted:

For real, my biggest fear about this movie has been that it was going to pull a PacRim and put all of its good fights in the trailers.

There's an entire gang that hasn't shown up in the trailers at all, and they're apparently pretty spectacular.

From what I gather Joe and his warboys are going after Furiosa to get the women back, but because she smuggles them out on a gasoline truck, it causes at least three other roving desert punk gangs to give chase to get the gas, which of course leads to more delightfully ridiculous chaos. Pretty sure the dirtbike bombers from that clip that was released last week is one of the other gangs.

And just for shits and giggles and to tip the hype in this thread a little further into madness, here's someone's reaction:

quote:

It's exactly what everyone is expecting it to be. George Miller with an insane budget and full creative control. It's nuts in the best way possible and relentless in the action department. The 3rd act is glorious and I'm sure, right now, its going to be a cult classic of humongous proportions. I'm also very very curious to see how the demographics split on this. It's going to be divisive with some crowds, but for spectacular reasons.

I don't want to give action set pieces away or motivations so I'll wait till the 14th to really get into the nitty gritty of it, but I loved it. In the same way that I love Dredd. It's that kind of action movie. It's own language and style that it never wavers from or makes concessions to a mainstream audience. It knows who it is and what it wants to accomplish and it does so superbly.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 9, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

"In the same way that I love Dredd. It's that kind of action movie."

:gizz:

I wonder how the 3D effects are. Kinda tempted, honestly.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder how the 3D effects are. Kinda tempted, honestly.

It's a post-conversion, the movie was shot in 2D.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I don't think I can hold on until Friday :ohdear:

I'm not a big movie guy, but when the Avengers trailers first started to hit, my 14 year old nephew wanted me to go with him. I was like, nah, but if you go watch the three Mad Max movies and like them, I'll take you to that.

His mind was blown and we are going Friday as soon as I get out of work.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm going on a trip the weekend of the release. It really sucks, I'm so pumped for this film. The saving grace is that I'll be off the grid the whole time, so I won't have any reviews and reactions to hype me up even more while I'm gone.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Great Rumbler posted:

It's a post-conversion, the movie was shot in 2D.

Post-conversion doesn't really mean a lot anymore. It can look really good if the conversion crew puts in the effort. Gravity was a post-conversion and it and the Jurassic Park 3D rerelease looked great.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I want to see Fury Road.

The wife wants to see Pitch Perfect 2.

On Saturday, we'll be seeing both back-to-back to make each other happy PP2 first.

Little does she know...I want to see PP2 as well!

I can't freakin' wait for this movie. I liked Age of Ultron but it felt very...choreographed. Fury Road looks gritty and raw.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My spouse keeps pestering me to get tickets for Fury Road and won't listen when I tell him I have to figure out when and where we can stash the kid (want to see the movie first before I let the kid see it).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hijinks Ensue posted:

My spouse keeps pestering me to get tickets for Fury Road and won't listen when I tell him I have to figure out when and where we can stash the kid (want to see the movie first before I let the kid see it).

How old is the kid? I'm actually having reservations about letting my 14 year old nephew see it, but my sister was ok with him seeing the original trilogy and this so I'm taking him regardless.

I mean, I saw the originals around the age of 11 or 12 so I think he'll be fine, but still, it might be gayboy berserker rape half the movie for all we know

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

How old is the kid? I'm actually having reservations about letting my 14 year old nephew see it, but my sister was ok with him seeing the original trilogy and this so I'm taking him regardless.

I mean, I saw the originals around the age of 11 or 12 so I think he'll be fine, but still, it might be gayboy berserker rape half the movie for all we know

Per IMDB, it looks like the R rating is entirely due to graphic violence, so if it's sex stuff you're worried about it's probably fine. Some of the scenes do sound pretty disturbing though. Spoilered the bits below that are specific than the general "hey guys it's real violent" -

IMDB posted:

Frequent scenes of violence and threat include sustained vehicular chase scenes. These include scenes where people fight, are shot and stabbed, or run over by vehicles. However, injury detail is limited. There is also a scene in which a man is struck on the chest by a chainsaw, which is followed by a brief blood spurt. In another scene a man's mask is ripped from his face, and there is a brief gush of blood.

A woman has a baby cut from her body. The cutting occurs below frame and is followed by sight of a man handling the placenta.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The first two are actually pretty loving gritty and brutal, so any kid that could handle those can probably handle this, though I might have my foot in my mouth come the 15th.

e: from IMDB:

quote:

At one point the film's long development, Michael Biehn was considered for the role of Max Rockatansky.

Holy balls I would have somehow been even more down for this

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 10, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My nephew is pretty well adjusted, honestly, so I'm not too worried. I just didn't want a crazy rape scene out of nowhere, more or less due to the awkwardness of the two of us sitting through it together. The first time I saw the Road Warrior was with my mom when I rented it at around 12, and the scene where Max and the Gyro Captain watch the rape from the hill was super uncomfortable, haha.

Yeah, though, I agree that the first two are probably more disturbing on a deeper level than this will be due to how society has changed over the last 25 years, so we should be fine. My sister was actually surprised that he enjoyed it, especially the first, because of how plodding and story driven it can be at times. It sparked his interest in older films, which she was happy about because she likes films far more than me and has as of yet unsuccessfully tried to get him to watch some of the classics.

He hasn't seen the Alien franchise yet so that's what I'm gonna get him to watch next. The rapey stuff is a bit more subdued in the first film, and I think Ripley's rear end crack isn't too bad for a 14 year old boy, haha

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

At one point the film's long development, Michael Biehn was considered for the role of Max Rockatansky.

Goddamnit, why did you have to tell me this?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

VikingSkull posted:

It's Mad Max, I'm sure it is gayboy berserker rape the whole way down.

squirrelcop
Aug 21, 2006

Maintain Right

Panfilo posted:

OK, if they use that guy they have to have him perched on the back of some towering hulk of a man. Because....

I cant believe nobody bit...

Master Blaster runs Barter Town!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Panfilo posted:

It's Mad Max, I'm sure it is gayboy berserker rape the whole way down.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I'll just have to have that talk with him, that it's ok to be a gayboy berserker if he wants to be and I'll love him nonetheless, as long as it's consensual

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Goddamnit, why did you have to tell me this?

So were Pam Grier, Guy Pearce, and Heath Ledger. ::shrug:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

The kid is 12, and he's seen Aliens and Army of Darkness, and plays Halo. I'm not that concerned about the violence per se, but I want to make sure things don't get too rapey (we didn't let him watch Road Warrior last night because of the rape). Besides, the spouse and I could use a day out at the movies sans kid, maybe get margaritas beforehand.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Since it isn't included in IMDB's list of bad stuff I would guess that the rape is said or implied to have happened in the past off camera. One of the fleeing wives is pregnant so rape is definitely part of the story.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, you're probably right.

I'll just have to have that talk with him, that it's ok to be a gayboy berserker if he wants to be and I'll love him nonetheless, as long as it's consensual

When a giant muscly man loves a smaller, twink man...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So I just saw this. They asked us not to tweet about it, but this isn't twitter it's a dead web forum so I think we're fine. So yeah it's basically 2 hours of explosions and standings. The number one complaint afterwards by people walking out was that "they didn't really explain anything." which I consider a positive so take that for what you will.

The guy asking about rape or whatever up there, there is nothing on screen, no nudity, they go out of their way to avoid it, they don't even talk about it but yeah it obviously happened in the past, glossed over and obvious.

There's a long night time sequence that has some of the worst day for night cinematography I've ever seen, but I mean it's a stylistic film so I guess we shouldn't be expecting accurate night times or whatever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

God. drat.

And that's my review.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
hahahahahahaha holy loving christ

Everything about that movie was incredible. A two hour adrenaline rush that has one of the most incredible worlds I have seen in film. Jesus.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Looks like I'm the only person unimpressed by this. Some neat visuals, some okay car chases, but too drat long and formulaic.

I'm not trolling here. I went in blind. Haven't seen a single MM film (was told it didn't matter if I did). I do have one question for those who have seen Fury Road

Is Max always such a non-entity in the other films? I was surprised by how much of this was Furiosa's film. I had the feeling that Miller wanted to do a Furiosa movie but probably wouldn't get any money to do a 9 figure budgeted movie about a one armed woman kicking rear end so he made it a Mad Max movie. Also: I feel like you can pinpoint the specific moment when this movie stopped giving a poo poo about trying to be PG-13 and decided to go full R.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I don't know what you mean by "non-entity", but barring the first film, Max basically always winds up being co-opted to fight for someone else's cause. He's the lone warrior who, against his will, gets caught up in someone else's fight and is forced to do heroic things to save or assist those who need the help.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Panfilo posted:

When a giant muscly man loves a smaller, twink man...

The scene/dialogue where Max confronts Fifi and tries to quit in Mad Max is still one of the gayest things ever filmed even if you count gay sex scenes.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Yes, that's what I noticed on a re-watch of Road Warrior last night. Max is a fairly passive character for much of it.

I think the kid probably could handle it, but he's not interested and I'd rather see it with just the spouse. We're both really psyched for it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

"You and me, Max. We're gonna give the people back their heroes!"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

I want to see Fury Road.

The wife wants to see Pitch Perfect 2.

On Saturday, we'll be seeing both back-to-back to make each other happy PP2 first.

Little does she know...I want to see PP2 as well!

I can't freakin' wait for this movie. I liked Age of Ultron but it felt very...choreographed. Fury Road looks gritty and raw.

This is a good marriage and it makes me happy to read this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

justlikedunkirk posted:

Also: I feel like you can pinpoint the specific moment when this movie stopped giving a poo poo about trying to be PG-13 and decided to go full R.

Is it early? :getin:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

justlikedunkirk posted:

Looks like I'm the only person unimpressed by this. Some neat visuals, some okay car chases, but too drat long and formulaic.

I'm not trolling here. I went in blind. Haven't seen a single MM film (was told it didn't matter if I did). I do have one question for those who have seen Fury Road

That's fine, it was a little long and yeah there's like, no plot, barely any character arcs and hell there's like no sets, but it's a ridiculous and from what I could tell mostly practical action smorgasbord and sometimes I'm just kinda hungry for that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

In the same way that I love Dredd. It's that kind of action movie. It's own language and style that it never wavers from or makes concessions to a mainstream audience. It knows who it is and what it wants to accomplish and it does so superbly.

Daaaaaamn, if you can compare this favourably to Dredd, I'm sold.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Max is pretty much a cipher from The Road Warrior onwards- "In the roar of an engine he lost everything and became a shell of a man" (the first movie is a little different because it's about that moment.)

There's definitely some of that Dredd/The Raid approach of having a simple action premise and building the story around it. Though I'm also always fascinated by the worldbuilding stuff, which Beyond Thunderdome got into in earnest and is also present here.

I would love to have an art book of this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I would love to have an art book of this as well.

Good news! http://www.amazon.com/Art-Mad-Max-Fury-Road/dp/1783298162/

• Locked thread