Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Anyone going to Comic-Con? Apparently, Fury Road'll be appearing there in some form, and a Teaser Trailer will be forthcoming "soon".

More importantly, a set of stills from the film have finally been released. It looks rad--and Charlize Theron has a robot arm!

Get pumped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The robotic hand looks awesome, they didn't cheap out on the design. The complexity of it compared to just having a solid metal kind of thing may be part of why the post production is taking so long.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Blind Sally posted:

Anyone going to Comic-Con? Apparently, Fury Road'll be appearing there in some form, and a Teaser Trailer will be forthcoming "soon".

More importantly, a set of stills from the film have finally been released. It looks rad--and Charlize Theron has a robot arm!

Every time I see this I get mad at the idiot dickhead editor who thought "Farewell to Arm" was such a great joke he had to stick it right on the cover.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

This one looks a lot like Mel.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

I love this one. To me, that perfectly captures what the original movies were about.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The guys hanging off of the outside of vehicles makes it.

I think that Road Warrior is one of the reasons I like Doomsday so much, since it a big section of it a Road Warrior tribute.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I only just watched Doomsday recently and I'm kicking myself for not seeing it sooner. It was a fantastic love-letter to The Road Warrior--and the Escape From films, honestly. I just kept writing it off as terrible garbage until one of my friends convinced me to watch it. Absolutely worth it.

And yeah, that "Farewell to arm" joke is atrocious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Another funny thing about Doomsday is that I saw it right after playing a bunch of Fallout 3, so I instantly recognized the voice on the radio as Malcolm McDowell (not really a spoiler I guess)

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 29, 2014

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Doomsday is loving amazing. For the price of admission, you get about 4 movies worth of insanity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Doomsday is loving amazing. For the price of admission, you get about 4 movies worth of insanity.

I really is like four movies. I'm putting them all in spoiler tags because really you should just watch the movie and have your mind properly blown, but in case you need convincing: The The future-cop/zombie plague stuff, which sets up all of the Escape from New York/LA stuff which transitions into a Road Warrior tribute, but not before some sort of neo-medieval stuff, which I'm drawing a blank on movies about that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it available streaming anywhere? I didn't find it on netflix but I haven't had a chance to check amazon prime yet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kingtheninja posted:

Is it available streaming anywhere? I didn't find it on netflix but I haven't had a chance to check amazon prime yet.

I believe it's on Canadian Netflix. I watched it only a few weeks ago.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

but not before some sort of neo-medieval stuff, which I'm drawing a blank on movies about that.

That's an Excalibur nod. Directors a big fan.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I watched Doomsday based on all of your recommendations and holy moley, why haven't I heard about this movie until now?! That was the craziest two hours I have ever spent watching a movie and it was worth every second.

I agree with Snak, just watch the movie and have your mind blown away. I only read the first spoiler and it was more than enough to convince me and I'm so glad I didn't read the rest because poo poo gets TOTALLY CRAZY and it would have been lame to know what happens prior to.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I dunno, but I wish I'd seen Doomsday earlier. IMDBing it, it looks like the director, Neil Marshall, is also responsible for other solid, yet not super successful, action/horror films. He's also done The Descent and Dog Soldiers which were both great. I haven't seen Centurion, but I did enjoy the episodes of Game Of Thrones he directed (two of the more action heavy ones: Watchers On The Wall and Blackwater).

Anyone know of any other rad Mad Max-ish movies? It's a bit of a wait until next year, and I really want to watch some good post-apocalyptic media.

Another good one, if you haven't seen it, is Le Dernier Combat: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085426/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's a French film done by Luc Besson of Fifth Element, Leon The Professional, and La Femme Nikita fame. There won't be any real language problems as the film is basically a silent film--due to the nature of the apocalypse, people have lost the ability to speak. There's no crazy car chases, but it's got a very Road Warrior/Fallout-esque vibe to it. Something about the setting and the near lack of dialogue. It's also got a young Jean Reno in it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fist of the North Star.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
The Book of Eli is pretty much Fallout: The Movie
Less action oriented option: The Road

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Six String Samurai is a bit like absurdist Mad Max with rock music instead of cars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Anyone know of any other rad Mad Max-ish movies? It's a bit of a wait until next year, and I really want to watch some good post-apocalyptic media.

Bellflower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KX2IPTbjE

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Caustic posted:

Some cool concept art for Fury Road showed up on Ebay (and was then taken down or sold it looks like). Some of the character and vehicle art looks to be a pretty close match to set photos - I expect these designs will be fairly close to what we see on-screen. More images at Aint It Cool. Looks like Rictus Erectus will be the "Wez" to Immortan Joe.

But that's not Immortan Joe, it's People Eater (being played by John Howard).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

You gotta see everything everyone's suggested so far, but also consider...

Ultimate Warrior isn't great but worth watching to fill the imagination since Yul Brynner's role was originally intended for Bruce Lee. Required viewing because I'd consider it to be a primary influence for Fist of the North Star (beyond the more obvious "make it look like Mad Max+Bruce Lee," the music especially). So check all of these out even if they aren't all necessarily great:

The Ultimate Warrior (1975)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64vuWlIUhro
Yul Brynner and Max Von Sydow must stop jerks from taking over the last human settlement. Slow but important to the development of the post apocalyptic movie genre.

Damnation Alley (1977)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCaNe3WYJkU
Huge inspiration on Fallout, check out the cast in this one! Another artifact that doesn't hold up too great but is one of the ur-post apocalypse flicks like Ultimate Warrior and Mad Max.

A Boy and His Dog (1975)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkJV19sxKgc
Just trust me on this one (very Fallout-esque too).

2019: After the Fall of New York (1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy-OJxtVu8M
Italian 80s action movie version of Children of Men that takes the premise in a slightly different direction. There's actually a small reference to this movie in the Children of Men film adaptation. I never read the book (which also was done several years after this movie happened) and would love to know if said scene is in the book also.

2020 Texas Gladiators (1982)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMI09tcp3o4
A post-post-apocalyptic movie. Civilization is starting to recover and folks aren't doing so bad, but then Nazis try to take over a city and slaughter everyone.

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VVEAkYlA8o
This is tremendous. After the first two RE movies (which I strongly disliked) they got the guy who directed Highlander and Razorback to do a Road Warrior take on the premise. The movie is dumb as hell in the best possible way and was a turning point for the franchise as it began to embrace how stupid it is. The best part is how the world is a post apocalyptic desert now because......? Like somehow zombies being around for a couple of months made the entire world a ruined desert. It's awesome, just roll with it. Also it's magically not a desert and back to normal in all subsequent RE films. :laffo:

Burst City (1982)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS4p4ihS0QE
This is more of a punk movie than anything (arguably the first "cyberpunk" movie to come out of Japan to some) but it's got dudes riding motorcycles and lots of brawls, real fun and awesome.

Radioactive Dreams (1985)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6I13EpDRZU
A very very 80s film where Michael Dudikoff and is brother emerge from a vault into the the post-apocalyptic wasteland to find the truth about their parents and make their way in the world. Oh and there was nothing in the vault but noir novels and jazz music so they are literally noir private detectives in mind for much of the film.

The Blood of Heroes (1989)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBuSVfB6MM
"FROM THE SCREEN WRITER OF BLADE RUNNER COMES...THE BLOOD OF HEROES!!" I absolutely love this movie. It's a great underdog sports flick starring Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen. They travel the wasteland recruiting and training up their team for a grudge match in a massive underground city that had to be the inspiration for the board game Necromunda. Released as Salute of the Jugger outside of the US, Jugging is the awesome sport of the future that all folks love. Makes a great double feature with Deadlock, the other movie starring Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen. Another flick with a cast of folks that got big later on. The coolest thing about it is that unlike most other future sport flicks, the sport itself is totally coherent even though they don't outright explain the rules, to the point where amateur jugger leagues exist in Germany, Australia and New Zealand.

Also I have to recommend Atlantis Interceptors (1983). It's not technically a post apocalyptic film at all, but it's one of those Italian flicks that was made to have an awesome trailer by ripping off everything that exists. So you can recommend it to fans of any genre safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_ilV_cJYc

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 3, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
If you're willing to watch some anime, there's MD Geist [which is laughably terrible], Grey: Digital Target [which is surprisingly good], and Now and Then, Here and There [which is really good but super-depressing]. The first two especially aren't shy about swiping from Mad Max, while the latter is more about human drama than the action.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

The Rover may still be in theaters. It takes place in Australia after a Western economic collapse, which has resulted in China taking over the world economy. Australia is being carved up and strip-mined by various mineral corporations, bringing in immigrant labor from China, Africa, and now America, and the law in the Outback reduced to a sparsely-patrolling Australian military, private military contractors (who mostly hang around ore transports and mining operations), or yourself. Everyone who lives out there is in poverty, segregated to isolated encampments and company towns, or a criminal preying on the first two. Anyone else left when they had the chance, leaving abandoned houses, dogs, and even children. One of the recurring elements is no one has running water, so they're washing their hands out of garbage cans-turned-wash basins and tubs of stagnant water.

It's pretty bleak and more of the slow burn tension of the first Mad Max film than any others. It's more a character drama that an action flick, with whatever incidents of violence happening quickly and brutally.

Neo Rasa posted:

2019: After the Fall of New York (1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy-OJxtVu8M
Italian 80s action movie version of Children of Men that takes the premise in a slightly different direction. There's actually a small reference to this movie in the Children of Men film adaptation. I never read the book (which also was done several years after this movie happened) and would love to know if said scene is in the book also.

I've heard SMG talk about this, and it made me watch it again but is there a legit reference to CoM?

Speaking of which, there's The New Barbarians , where someone looked at the gayboy berserkers of Lord Humongous and went "we can make this more gay!".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love New Barbarians but it is a pretty lovely movie overall. I'd just look up the highlights on Youtube. Not even Fred Williamson can save it, though the mega-awkward anti homosexual content is almost hilarious. The best is after the main character is kidnapped and raped by George Eastman (Big Ape in 2019), there's a montage of Fred Williamson showing him how to properly draw and handle his gun. Also he kills George Eastman at the end during a car chase via a really long drill protruding from the front his car that impales Eastman in the rear end.

Both 2019 and Children of Men feature a brief conversation about the destiny of humanity in front of Guernica. I would mention this a lot in threads here myself too. If both movies weren't about how due to circumstances women can no longer give birth and someone has to find and protect the one fertile woman from a fascist government then it would be a coincidence but there's no way in hell it's not. If SMG called this out he was probably just echoing Zizek word for word as usual without any real context or original insight to add in. Interesting since something Zizek likes about Children of Men is how the works of art in that scene are presented in an ultra-cold way with zero cultural or historical context, which he found to be a nice parallel to the emotional infertility those in power suffer from in the film in addition to the biological kind.

I don't really buy that myself though, again I never read the book but it felt more like said art was removed from the masses, and as represented by the many lower class characters in the movie none of them are wanting for passion. Humanity is going through a cultural death in the film as the population is set to decline and people are still stupid enough to continue killing each other, but I felt that scene was there more to show the generally clueless nature of those in charge.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 3, 2014

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

I have no idea what this means, but I'm pretty sure the aesthetic they're going for is "rusted monstrosities welded together into high octane death machines":

]

Can I point out that this is not from the movie but is a digital model made by someone unrelated to Fury Road some years ago?
It's been floating around the interwebs for a while.

Also.
I know people who worked on the film. My housemate is IN the film. I know the basic story and some of the key elements. I was lucky enough to catch some of the vehicles after filming.
I even have a few souvenirs from the movie (nothing major). I have been following the development of this movie for years.

It's about bloody time I started contributing to this thread!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

THINGS!

Filming in Regents Park, Sydney. Final scenes?

Something

War Rig. Namibia

Extra scenes filmed at Fox Studios, Sydney.

Extra scenes filmed at Fox Studios, Sydney.

Extra scenes filmed at Regents Park, Sydney (In the old reservoir, Lewis St)

Some cars. Namibia.

The Gigahorse, awaiting scenes. Namibia.

Ford Falcon Coupe being transported to Botany, Sydney. (Unsure if before or after filming, speculated this is possibly the reworked version of the Interceptor)

Holden Ute, mid 70's model. Namibia.

The glory that is the Gigahorse.

Random vehicle. Namibia

Tom Hardy and stunt camera?

Some more vehicles, showing some range. There is a lot more than this in the movie, btw.

Pictures I took myself on the way to work (Just happened to go past these on the side of the road.)

Overblown Hot-rod.

Crane truck, was enormous in person, awesome detail work.

Crane truck.

Scotty, my flatmate, actually has sleeve tattoos but were covered over for the movie.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 4, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this movies gonna be flippin amazing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Tom Hardy and stunt camera?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This movie is going to own.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Tom Hardy's working on that Krays movie now right? Does that mean this is close to being done?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Davoren posted:

Tom Hardy's working on that Krays movie now right? Does that mean this is close to being done?

I mean, principle photography has been done forever, I thought. They already did reshoots. I think that the only things that are still being worked on is post-production stuff. I could be wrong though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Initial shootings and re-shoots are done, and I assume there has been some amount of post-production because there was a test screen shown a month or so ago that garnered a lot of positive feedback. So yeah, hopefully soon we'll see a proper trailer and it'll be all on track for theatres next year.

Seen The Road. I enjoyed it, but I found the movie more emotionally manipulative than the book. Of perhaps I'm just more affected by cinema than I am literature? Regardless, I thought it was a bit overwrought, though it still had me bawling like a baby. I preferred the book far more, but overall the movie was absolutely worth at least a watch. I enjoyed the bit parts from Garret Dillahunt and Guy Pearce.

Book Of Eli was okay, but I felt it sorta lost steam near the end. The first act of the film was phenomenal and a had a great Fallout/Mad Max vibe to it. But yeah, something about that film just didn't do it for me. The acting? Maybe the acting. It's been a while since I've seen it so it's hard to remember what turned me off of it.

Bellflower, though, I really enjoyed. Perhaps because it wasn't what I was expecting. Bored-teenagers-playing-with-flamethrowers-and-building-Mad-Max-cars-to-be-like-The-Humungus-meets-Romeo-and-Juliet-except-the-young-lovers-don't-die-instead-Juliet-gets-bored-and-cheats-on-Romeo-with-her-roommate-and-everything-gets-hosed-up? Hell yes. It's pretty surreal, and though it's not my favourite film, it had a certain intensity to it that very few directors manage to capture, in my opinion. I'd certainly recommend people give it a watch.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've got a backlog to work through while I wait for Mad Max 4:

• Fist Of The North Star
  • Six String Samurai
  • The Ultimate Warrior
  • Damnation Alley
  • A Boy And His Dog
  • 2019: After The Fall Of New York
  • 2020 Texas Gladiators
  • Resident Evil: Extinction
  • Burst City
  • Radioactive Dreams
  • The Blood Of Heroes
  • Atlantis Interceptors
  • The Rover
  • The New Barbarians
  • MD Geist
  • Grey: Digital Target
  • Now And Then, Here And Ther

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Right, thanks for this! I added these images to the OP. Aaaand I took down the misleading digital image. Any sweet on-set stories or details you're allowed to share?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

Right, thanks for this! I added these images to the OP. Aaaand I took down the misleading digital image. Any sweet on-set stories or details you're allowed to share?

Not much.
I don't think I really heard anything anyway, it's really REALLY tight lipped.

I'll have to post some more random photos soon. I only trawled halfway through my 8k+ random images folder for the ones I have posted already. I am sure I have a few more.

But otherwise, there are factions.
You have
Immortan Joe (Hugh Keays-Byrne) ruler of The Citadel (An inpenatrable fortress where the weak and sick are thrown out to live as one of The Wretched, living off of the scraps if the inside)
The People Eater (John Howard) ruler of Gasstown, seemingly a sexual deviant, controls the fuel situation.
The Bullet Farmer (Richard Carter) who runs the Bullet Farm, seems these guys have all the guns and poo poo.

There are other gangs around, some smaller and weaker and get destroyed trying to muscle in. Hence the different car styles. You have some that are all in a rusted patina. Some that are covered in jagged scrap metal spikes and seem to be pieced together from other cars. Some that are buffed down to shining, bare metal. Some that are matte black and adorn skulls and spikes...

From what I can piece together, also, is that there are still dozens of cars and characters we haven't even seen!

One of the vehicles I am looking forward to the most is the 'Ripsaw Charger'.

It is a '72 Valiant Charger (Chrysler Australia) body and the chassis of an all-terrain sport vehicle that uses tank-style tracks instead of wheels.
It IS in the movie, I last year I worked on building some of the stages at Soundwave (Sydney) and one of the riggers was also a stuntman/rigger/driver in the movie, even he was surprised I knew about the Ripsaw. (In the movie, apparently he is the co-driver of the vehicle and even has some lines)

THIS is the only known picture of it that has leaked. This was taken around 09 or so when they were building the vehicles in a warehouse near Villawood.
It isn't finished in this photo, but you get where they are going with it.

Another correction I want to make is that the return to filming this year was not actually for reshoots, Miller wanted to bring some more closure surrounding the story and shot 'bookends', so these scenes (Filmed in Regents Park and Penrith Lakes areas around Sydney, not in Namibia) is pretty much the very start of the film and the very end of the film. Because of this, I pretty much know how it ends, but it doesn't change my excitement for the movie.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
That faction stuff is pretty interesting. I feel vindicated to know that Hugh Keays-Byrne is portraying another leadership role.

Also, gettin' some serious Warthog vibes off the Ripsaw Charger there:

I'm pretty stoked for this film.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Also, on a different note, I marched in Sydney for the Bust The Budget Rally. Bruce Spence was part of it, I wish I said hi to him.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

That faction stuff is pretty interesting. I feel vindicated to know that Hugh Keays-Byrne is portraying another leadership role.

Also, gettin' some serious Warthog vibes off the Ripsaw Charger there:

I'm pretty stoked for this film.

Yeah totally! Look up Ripsaw ATV, they're quite fast and maneuverable I understand.

With Hugh, my flatmate was in some of the scenes with him (as extra, though), he said he was having a LOT of fun, super awesome guy.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Young Freud posted:

...there's a line where the girl who wakes up Max to tell him Savannah, Mr. Scratch, and their breakway faction took off...

Mr. Skyfish
You'll find him (Mark Spain) floating about the Sydney goth scene intermittently...

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The first half is great in my opinion. Once the Lost Boys are introduced it kind of starts to drag a little because there's no real danger anymore. Even when there is it doesn't feel like it. It's obvious that nothing bad will really happen, so there's no real tension. I think the worse that happens to one of the 'good guys' is a spear to the leg during the climax, which gets played for laughs.

Again I don't know how you'd realistically fix this with out rewriting the entire second half of the movie. No one in their right mind would fund an action movie where the final act involves the whole sale slaughter of a bunch of children by a horde of pig-poo poo crazed wasteland capitalists.

They deleted a scene where Co-Pilot dies from the infection in his leg on a sand dune looking over the lights of Bartertown where Max tells him he made it to TomorrowMorrowLand, this would have improved the movie somewhat.
Also, like him suddenly not being there.

Consider the amount of people who die in BT.
Blaster definitely dies.
Speared dude outside the Thunderdome may have died.
Finn Magoo dies in sinking sand.
Trike dude may have died being violently flung from the edge of train overpass (Though Ironbar survived a few of these instances).
Ironbar, presumably, died eventually.
Co-Pilot (deleted scene)

If there are any others, I failed to remember without putting real thought into it.

But yeah, compared to RW, everything is pretty tame and the world almost benevolent...

**SUPER FUN HAPPY EDIT**

Okay, I have posted too many times in a row but I keep finding things to add. So I will stop that.

In apologies I offer you CONCEPT ART!

BULLET FARM
The Bullet Farmer & Razor Cola

CITADEL
Immortan Joe, Winchmen & War Boys.

GASSSTOWN
People Eater, Rictus Erectus, Polecats & Flame Boys

VEHICLES and PEOPLE

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Pretty sure Co-Pilot dies in the Thunderdome novelization. Ironbar never dies. Ironbar is immortal. :colbert:

• Locked thread