Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

As a parent of small children, it bugged me that they left Sprog alone as much as they did. I mean presumably they had someone looking after him during that scene where Max's wife goes to the beach or when she and Max go picnicking, but the first time I saw Sprog he was playing with an unloaded handgun and I'm like :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

fatherboxx posted:

Mutant guitarists seen on the PA truck with flames coming out the guitars.

This is some loving GWAR poo poo :dong:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Mad Max was supposed to be fairly futuristic at first draft, the MFP were going to have flying cars and such, but the budget didn't allow for it in any sense. Not even actually up to date vehicles.

Thank gently caress, really.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah that would have been real loving stupid honestly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Clipperton posted:

*and possibly leather daddies

Possibly.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Lotish posted:

As a parent of small children, it bugged me that they left Sprog alone as much as they did. I mean presumably they had someone looking after him during that scene where Max's wife goes to the beach or when she and Max go picnicking, but the first time I saw Sprog he was playing with an unloaded handgun and I'm like :wtc:

How do you know it was unloaded?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yodzilla posted:

My favorite scene is where Max's wife has to walk five miles down a mountain to get to the beach.

I have a theory that maybe Americans don't pick up on a lot of this stuff because they just think that's what Australia is like. :v:

It... it's not? :ohdear:

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Oh there was a lot of unrealistic poo poo in Mad Max.

Like the wife walking 5 miles or whatever to the beach, good luck making that little trek without dying as a result of a deadly animal attack from a crocodile or a poisonous snake or a dingo.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Or some kind of deadly venomous spider. Or a drop bear.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gargamel Gibson posted:

How do you know it was unloaded?

Wishful thinking, I guess.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I like how there's a non-zero chance that you could get killed by this loving thing:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rasczak posted:

I like how there's a non-zero chance that you could get killed by this loving thing:

There's like, one recorded cassowary on human death.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They're really good at hiding the bodies

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Clipperton posted:

They're really good at hiding the bodies

For all we know they could be eating the bodies, fuckin' Australia man.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Sounds like a non-zero chance to me. They would make good kickboxers at least.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Okay, if no Australians are coming to the aid of this one.

The reason the movie had her take a long walk to the beach was because May Swaisey's house location set was nowhere near the coast.

As far as danger goes, it would be on the Victorian coast, so most of our famous killer fauna wouldn't be present as they almost all live to the north of Victoria barring a number of particularly venomous snakes (that may or may not be active in the area and/or can be easily avoided) and maybe the odd Redback spider (Which don't kill, anyway) so, I wouldn't worry yourselves too much, kids.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Beyond Thunderdome is a pretty.. well bad movie, in my opinion, for the most part even if it does have some interesting aspects. However one thing I found interesting about what it "lacks" is an identifiable vehicle for Max. The interceptor is as much a character in the first two movies as Max is. It represents his inhumanity to a degree but also his strength as well.

By leaving out this fundamental aspect of the character I really thought Thunderdome dropped the ball somewhat. Max either needs one of two things, "something to die for" as in vengance or slowly dying in the desert as he goes from fuel source to fuel source or "something to live" for such as the oil settlement people..

Its not just about how cool the interceptor is, its like Han Solo without the Falcon.. it represents too much of the character to really be done away with completely.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I just wish he had still had a dog. The car didn't bother me as much - he can manage behind any wheel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love Thunderdome, but it still has the penultimate "physics?!" scene in cinema where Max riding through the desert very fast, a flying plane overtakes his vehicle, hitting him in the back of the head, yet he not only lives but just gets up and starts running. He must have the hardest head in the wasteland.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I love Thunderdome, but it still has the penultimate "physics?!" scene in cinema where Max riding through the desert very fast, a flying plane overtakes his vehicle, hitting him in the back of the head, yet he not only lives but just gets up and starts running. He must have the hardest head in the wasteland.

The plane doesn't hit him, Bruce Spence shoots a weighted dart (at his chest) that knocks him off the wagon. Immersion: saved!

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 22, 2014

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
It's funny how I've never seen a Mad Max movie until last night. It just seemed like one of those movies that I should have seen a long time ago, along with me enjoying post-apocalyptic stuff, but never got around to it.

What I liked about the first film (The Road Warrior is tonight) is the world still hasn't ended yet. You rarely see a film where the world is just starting to go to poo poo, there is still some semblence of order left, but you know it won't be long before poo poo goes south. I can't wait for the sequels because I imagine with their larger budgets more crazy stuff is bound to happen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lotish posted:

So I've only ever seen the original Mad Max films in bits and pieces before, but they put the original Mad Max on Netflix a few days ago. So I finally sat down and watched it from start to finish. It was not really the movie I was expecting, being much more familiar with the icon Mad Max has become and the perception of the films after the fact. It's... much more amateurish. Characters seem to be introduced and get dropped just kind of at random. Like the giant idiot. He's there to give Jodie (was that her name?) a jump scare and then follow after Max in a pointless scene and then gone. The cops all disappear from the second half of the film. It also has some weird effects and moments that would have seemed right at home on some MST3K fodder, like when Max looks under Goose's sheet. I was also expecting something more visceral, for Max's victories to be more explicit--half the time it seems he kills people almost by complete accident, and I didn't feel tension for Max until really the very end.

So it's kind of like seeing the original Friday the 13th after becoming familiar with Jason, I guess. If I can find a way to watch the others in their entirety, I'm curious how my perception of the series really matches with reality of the rest.

I can't really add much that hasn't already been said more succinctly by other posters, but I do want to address one thing: the idea of characters popping up and disappearing. I feel like that was intentionally there to reflect Max's withdrawal from humanity. After Goose dies, he withdraws from the police force, leaving behind Charlie, Sarse, Fifi and the rest. They're neither heard from again nor mentioned. As well, his leaving the police force also takes him away from the justice system in general, so the lawyers are characters that wouldn't have cause to appear again either. There's the one highway patrol man Max and Jesse talk to after Cundalini loses his hand, but that's really a one off. Max doesn't rejoin the MFP.

After he loses Jesse and Sprog, he withdraws from the people, who I can only guess, are his extended family, May Swaisey and Benno. I wonder if they are an aunt of Max or maybe Jesse? Regardless, just as when Max withdraws from his job, when he withdraws from his family, they are never seen again. At that point, he has fully extracted himself from society--and remember, Max is a man who is already feeling himself slipping away, becoming another speed junkie on the highway. At this point, all that's left is Max, the Interceptor, and the Toecutter's gang, and that's how it is until the credits roll.

Furthermore, I just want to point out how I find it interesting that George Miller includes so many injured, ill, or disabled people in his films. I mean, obviously he's a doctor, so it's probably partially influenced by that. Let's not forget that the car accident scene where Fifi tells Max that the Toecutter's gang have a hit out on him--it was accidents like that which partly inspired Miller to make this film. But I'm getting off topic--aside from the idiot, Benno, we see that May is also in leg braces, and then there's the MFP mechanic with the stutter. There are other people who receive injuries throughout, such as Goose and Max both receiving leg injuries, but these people aren't officers at war with biker gangs. Their disabilities are already there. And I wonder if this is a purposeful reflection of the world these people live in. Just as society is beginning to collapse and fail, so are the people, mind and body. This continues throughout the series:

• Max himself wears a leg brace for the remaining films
  • The mechanic for the refinery people in The Road Warrior is a parapalegic
  • There's both Master and Blaster from Beyond Thunderdome
  • Also, not to mention the various Lost Kids who are either injured or socially inhibited

It's definitely a background thing, but its constant presence makes me thing George is purposely adding it in. Heck, in Mad Max 4 Immortan Joe is missing the lower half of his jaw and appears to be in charge of a group of people known as The Citadel, which seems to be a place where the injured and disabled of the wasteland are abandoned.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
EDIT: crap, double-post. Uh...

Justin Godscock posted:

It's funny how I've never seen a Mad Max movie until last night. It just seemed like one of those movies that I should have seen a long time ago, along with me enjoying post-apocalyptic stuff, but never got around to it.

What I liked about the first film (The Road Warrior is tonight) is the world still hasn't ended yet. You rarely see a film where the world is just starting to go to poo poo, there is still some semblence of order left, but you know it won't be long before poo poo goes south. I can't wait for the sequels because I imagine with their larger budgets more crazy stuff is bound to happen.

Let us know what you think. I, for one, love hearing people's opinions who are just seeing the films for the first time.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

It's definitely a background thing, but its constant presence makes me thing George is purposely adding it in. Heck, in Mad Max 4 Immortan Joe is missing the lower half of his jaw and appears to be in charge of a group of people known as The Citadel, which seems to be a place where the injured and disabled of the wasteland are abandoned.

From what I can gather, it isn't like that, The Citadel is the opposite, there are scores of ejected people and those deemed impure because of deformities and such who scavenge around the outside and it's sewer to survive. They still somewhat revere Immortan Joe who occasionally offers them water from his vast collection, but seemingly only to keep them on his side. It seems like a very rich/poor thing going on. Or even political satire.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
"George Miller was a doctor" chat:

Max's jacket is missing a sleeve in Mad Max 2. His arm gets broken in the first film, and the sleeve is presumably cut off by paramedics when he goes to a hospital.
Max receives an eye injury in the second film and his eyes are heterochromatic in the next one.

Cool little details.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

I like this too because as others have said, it seems like the most realistic "apocalypse" to me would be this gradual descent of society breaking down.

The characters disappearing is part of this too as we see Max's own world fall apart around him, we see Max go through the societal decay that would potentially create a Lord Humongous or a Night Rider. We see Max on the brink of this at the beginning of Road Warrior.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Max's jacket is missing a sleeve in Mad Max 2. His arm gets broken in the first film, and the sleeve is presumably cut off by paramedics when he goes to a hospital.
Max receives an eye injury in the second film and his eyes are heterochromatic in the next one.

Cool little details.

Don't forget his kneecap getting shot in Mad Max and his having that metal brace at the beginning of Road Warrior. :3:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I just realized that the dude in the original Mad Max poster isn't even Max. It's Goose!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Yeah, but they don't lack in capability.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Justin Godscock posted:

Oh you are going to looooove Mad Max 2.

I cant bring myself to call it Road Warrior, for some reason it just doesnt feel right at all. Its always been Mad Max 2 to me :)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior :colbert:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Blind Sally posted:

Furthermore, I just want to point out how I find it interesting that George Miller includes so many injured, ill, or disabled people in his films. I mean, obviously he's a doctor, so it's probably partially influenced by that. Let's not forget that the car accident scene where Fifi tells Max that the Toecutter's gang have a hit out on him--it was accidents like that which partly inspired Miller to make this film. But I'm getting off topic--aside from the idiot, Benno, we see that May is also in leg braces, and then there's the MFP mechanic with the stutter. There are other people who receive injuries throughout, such as Goose and Max both receiving leg injuries, but these people aren't officers at war with biker gangs. Their disabilities are already there. And I wonder if this is a purposeful reflection of the world these people live in. Just as society is beginning to collapse and fail, so are the people, mind and body. This continues throughout the series:

• Max himself wears a leg brace for the remaining films
  • The mechanic for the refinery people in The Road Warrior is a parapalegic
  • There's both Master and Blaster from Beyond Thunderdome
  • Also, not to mention the various Lost Kids who are either injured or socially inhibited

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Cool little details.

These are great observations. Thanks for noting them -- I really appreciate people picking up on little details and sharing them with us.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
One subtle little detail to show the decline of the civilized world in Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome is how rare working firearms and ammunition are. I think there are only two functional firearms shown in The Road Warrior, Max's double barreled shotgun and the revolver Lord Humongous uses - which are shown to be very deliberately used only in limited circumstances as ammunition is so rare (and prone to malfunction due to age). There were a few more in Thunderdome, which would make sense since Max is running a caravan and the rest are at a bustling trade city, but off the top of my head I still only remember seeing a couple actually used (Ironbar toting an assault rifle in the refinery and the lost kids using the old bolt-action as a totem).

It really amps up the menace of the Bullet Farmers, since nearly everyone else has been reduced to melee weapons and simple crossbows. A force with a large stockpile of pre-apocalypse weaponry could cause some serious havoc when they get mixed into it.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
After seeing the trailer for Fury Road again, I decided to watch Mad Max 2 again. I'm still amazed that none of the stunt actors got killed. That cartwheeling dude, seriously wtf. :stare:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Batham posted:

After seeing the trailer for Fury Road again, I decided to watch Mad Max 2 again. I'm still amazed that none of the stunt actors got killed. That cartwheeling dude, seriously wtf. :stare:

IIRC he was one of the few bad injuries though, the mechanism malfunctioned and he flew way farther than was intended.

I watched Hard Boiled again recently and that one also impressed me because of how often people are right next to explosions and open fires. Incredible editing in both movies.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
That reminds me of this one particular scene in The Thing where Kurt Russel tosses a grenade. He didn't toss it far enough, so you actually see him jump backwards in a bit of a panic. IIRC, he mentions it during the bonus commentary on the DVD.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Blind Sally posted:

That reminds me of this one particular scene in The Thing where Kurt Russel tosses a grenade. He didn't toss it far enough, so you actually see him jump backwards in a bit of a panic. IIRC, he mentions it during the bonus commentary on the DVD.

The commentary track for The Thing is pretty amazing, it's just Kurt Russell and John Carpenter getting drunk and rambling for 90 minutes.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I watched Hard Boiled again recently and that one also impressed me because of how often people are right next to explosions and open fires. Incredible editing in both movies.

John Woo is not an OSHA-compliant director. Most of the action scenes in The Killer were filmed with loving live ammo because the production couldn't afford blanks.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

John Woo is not an OSHA-compliant director. Most of the action scenes in The Killer were filmed with loving live ammo because the production couldn't afford blanks.

I think you might be confusing the Killer with Meet the Feebles.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Great Rumbler posted:

The commentary track for The Thing is pretty amazing, it's just Kurt Russell and John Carpenter getting drunk and rambling for 90 minutes.

Big Trouble in Little China has a great one that’s basically the same thing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I think you might be confusing the Killer with Meet the Feebles.

Nah, I distinctly remember reading an anecdote about that. I wanna say it caused some problems when they were filming an action scene because they didn't have a filming permit and someone called the police, but I could be wrong.

• Locked thread