Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Word of mouth, baby.

Can't compare this to Batman Begins enough. "Ugh, another Batman movie? That last one sucked." "Nah man, this is REALLY good. You'll love it."

*rear end in seat*

*2 hours later rear end leaves seat wanting to gently caress everything up with a crazy armored dune buggy rocket tank*

e: and maybe the third one will have Tom Hardy :v:

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ShineDog posted:

I don't think the price gets dialed down for matinee around here and our local cinema is a ridiculous sit on a sofa with table service during the ads deal so it's a little more expensive.

These places loving own though.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Otisburg posted:

What it should have had is more voice-overs giving us Max's inner monologue.
"I was real angry about having my blood drained."
"I was reluctant to give my name: it would be a form of emotional investment I wasn't ready or willing to make because of my madness, isolation, and tragic past."
"Seeing a vision of one of the people I failed made me feel bad about letting them go out over the salt flats alone, but then I got a crazy idea. Just crazy enough to work!"

This would help give the character more inner life and make the movie easier to follow, elevating it above just a loud dumb action movie a bit!

And every time MAX isn't on screen, every other character should be asking "Where's Max??"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Word of mouth, baby.

Can't compare this to Batman Begins enough. "Ugh, another Batman movie? That last one sucked." "Nah man, this is REALLY good. You'll love it."

*rear end in seat*

*2 hours later rear end leaves seat wanting to gently caress everything up with a crazy armored dune buggy rocket tank*

e: and maybe the third one will have Tom Hardy :v:

Maybe Mad Max: Fury Road 2 will be even better and make more money than God, and then people will turn against Fury Road 3 before the trailer's even out.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

And every time MAX isn't on screen, every other character should be asking "Where's Max??"

When are they going to get to Gas Town!? *cries*

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Otisburg posted:

I just had to cut back on water a little.

That's OK, don't want to get addicted to Aqua Cola.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

ShineDog posted:

The thing thats becoming abundantly clear to me about MM is that some people just don't see anything past the stuff the film outright comes out and states. Like, yeah, the plot, at it's most fundamental level, of Fury Road is very light. The wives run, Joe wants them back, they decide to stop running and turn and fight. This is a very light, thin plot.

But the film is swamped with an excellent use of subtext, it's built around and uses it's theme strongly, theres a ton of character development and worldbuilding but it's almost completely unspoken.

Plot is just a story stripped of the artistry of the telling and it baffles me as to why people care so much about the events that happen when what's interesting is how they happen.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 26, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What would have elevated it to a whole new level would be-- stay with me here-- the vehicles are like characters in their own right, you feel me? So why not give THEM all dialogue, Look Who's Talking style?

In a bit of stunt casting have Mel Gibson be the War Rig.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Like when the Dirt Bike Tusken Raiders firebomb him, he could be like "Oy, getting a little hot under the collar here!"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Speaking of which, my big complaint is that none of the wives have any clear motivation. Why did they leave Joe's house? It seemed nice. Maybe if there was a scene where they all delivered soliloquies while a pop song played in the background I'd understand this movie.

I went to film school, you know.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's just how steampunk is.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Noxville posted:

Plot is just a story stripped of the artistry of the telling and it baffles me as to why people care so much about the events that happen when what's interesting is how that they happen.

Thank you. This puts into words what I've felt and have tried to express for a very, very long time. Plot is literally the least important part of a movie. It's just an excuse for the rest of the parts of the movie to do their thing.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Otisburg posted:

What would have elevated it to a whole new level would be-- stay with me here-- the vehicles are like characters in their own right, you feel me? So why not give THEM all dialogue, Look Who's Talking style?

In a bit of stunt casting have Mel Gibson be the War Rig.

"I am the one who runs from both the living and the dead"

"And I'm his buddy, the last of the Interceptors - V8 for short! Now let me tell you, we've been through a lot together. Max may seem a bit crazy - he ain't called Mad for nothin' - but he wasn't always like that. See it all started back when the Oil Wars began. .." *narration continues over first 15 minutes of the movie*

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
We don't want to miss a clear opportunity in this one for Max to stop and gaze sorrowfully at something that symbolizes the lost humanity of mankind after the apocalypse. (Like maybe a children's doll? Only it's half buried in the sand and burned maybe?) And then Max starts talking about his dead family(tears (maybe!!!) but not too many) to Furiosa's half-sister and she's like oh yeah, I had a family too(non-traditional family to keep it interesting probably. lost role model figure of some kind(Furiosa? could work as a callback to 1st film? body double w/ robot arm in silhouette would probably work but NO CHARLIZE! never again!)?). Bonding moments like these will show the humanity of the characters and make the love-scene 3/4th of the way through seem more natural. (push hard PG-13 maybe? or keep it classy and just imply it by asking the funny guy(Nux - too close to Tux? does it have to be the same one? workshop it) to drive the War Wagon while they go and 'check the supplies in the back' with a knowing grin at each other? -note- Fade to a shot of the truck driving in the sunset with romantic(but heroic) orchestral music, a bit of post-coital character dialogue in bed afterwards(which gets interrupted by danger? some call to arms? accidental interruption? they have to put their clothes back on quickly but nobody is fooled and Max gets that kind of wink from the sidekick))

Just spit-balling here but we need to find a way to give these characters some kind of arc. Mad Max 2 isn't going to write itself and I think I might be just the one to do it.

Psykmoe posted:

This would be a legit hilarious version of the film. At least rewrite it so that Max is a leader, not just a follower.

"You cannot own a human being! Sooner or later someone pushes back! Someone like Max!"

"WHERE IS HE TAKING HER AND BY EXTENSION THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE WITH HER WHEN HE TOOK HER?"

"He didn't take her she begged him to go after they begged her to go with him!"

*shotgun fail because obviously only Max's skill with the shotgun could bring down Immortan Joe*

Speaking of which, my big complaint is that none of the wives have any clear motivation. Why did they leave Joe's house? It seemed nice. Maybe if there was a scene where they all delivered soliloquies while a pop song played in the background I'd understand this movie.

I think it's pretty well established they were using him. Bet they didn't even cook or clean in that atrium and had deformed midget servants catering to their every whim.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 26, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe Mad Max: Fury Road 2 will be even better and make more money than God, and then people will turn against Fury Road 3 before the trailer's even out.

I'm very much in two minds on a sequel. Firstly, how the hell would it be possible to have a better movie than Fury Road? Anything less than this insanity and action would be a let down. On the other hand I would love to see Miller get 200 million, have a red hot go and try to top this.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Dunno, but Fury Road appear to be doing better this last weekend than during its initial weekend.

Also helps that this film is something I wanna see twice and usually I'd never do that.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anyone here read the prequel comic about Nux and Immortan Joe? Wondering if it's worthwhile at all or if it's just :mediocre:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dik-dik posted:

Anyone here read the prequel comic about Nux and Immortan Joe? Wondering if it's worthwhile at all or if it's just :mediocre:

It's decent. I wouldn't call it mandatory, and Nux's story kinda feels like those bad Star Wars EU backstories, but I don't regret buying it, and plan to get the rest.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Cool. Gonna grab it then. Might as well have all my hobbies meld in to one, shiny and chrome. If they come out with some Mad Max themed climbing gear I'm super hosed.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Saw it for a second time at the weekend.

One of my favourite moments is when Max takes out the bullet farmer

By not outright showing you what Max does it makes him seem more badass.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's decent. I wouldn't call it mandatory, and Nux's story kinda feels like those bad Star Wars EU backstories, but I don't regret buying it, and plan to get the rest.

Are the other three of those coming out monthly or weekly? I need my methadone...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

freelop posted:

Saw it for a second time at the weekend.

One of my favourite moments is when Max takes out the bullet farmer

By not outright showing you what Max does it makes him seem more badass.
I think it shows remarkable restraint on the director's part. For example, I liked Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar well enough but they were far too long (especially Interstellar), and I feel this is exactly because of that lack of restraint. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't just an editing decision to remove that scene which will then be in a Director's Cut or whatever, it was never planned because it's unneccessary/better if left to the imagination and it's really cool that they realized that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Are the other three of those coming out monthly or weekly? I need my methadone...

I *think* I saw a monthly schedule.

Aside, I'm also unsure what the sequel could possibly be. We saw the platonic ideal of the chase with Fury Road, and yet fuckin' amazing car chases are all I want from the next movie. If Wasteland ends up being the Road Warrior to Fury Road's Mad Max, I think it will kill me. To death.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
Still gobsmacked by how dense every scene is. Every single character has an arc, no matter how small, and nearly every scene has multiple purposes - keeping the nonstop flow and advancing a character's arc. And somehow the acting remained evocative and up to the emotive task despite being surrounded by nothing but chaos. There's almost no extraneous dialogue at all, and the editing is basically flawless. I'm trying to think of action movies with almost perfect editing (ie; almost no unnecessary scenes or information combined with faultless pacing) and I'm coming pretty up dry. Terminator 1, Matrix 1, Star Wars IV and maybe V, and Die Hard? I'm sure there's more but it's not going to be a huge list. Formal perfection is extraordinarily rare in any artistic discipline, and it's been so long since I've seen anything like this I'd totally forgotten just how impactful a finely crafted theater experience can be. This is the action movie equivalent of a Beethoven Symphony - every note, every shot contributes to the dramatic structure and fits in as part of a whole, none of the excruciating tangents or tedious repetition of your Mahlers or your Schuberts. You can't get good pacing without good form, and you can't effectively grapple with formal elements unless you're able to take relentless criticism from yourself and others. It's a grueling iterative process whether you're going solo or collaborating. This is cinema using the advantages of the medium to their full extent, genre defining stuff. It's insanely hard to do and usually takes decades of practice and experience; Miller is clearly a sincere lifelong devote of his craft and this must be his A team.

I was initially pretty freaked out by Joe's irradiated legions, and just dumbfounded when I realized they were giving one of theses mutated freaks a sympathetic loss of faith-redemption arc, one that emotionally resonated despite the completely alien culture and ceaseless destruction. The emphasis on being 'witnessed', combined with the mythology about the old world ("Everyone had their own show") seemed to me to be evoking the degenerate remains of modern spectator culture itself. "Witness me" functions in multiple ways - as character motivation, as ideology and world building, as an effective wind-up for death defying stunts and as a fourth-wall breaking command to the viewer. And yes, yes I will gladly witness you, you wonderful movie you.

There's all kinds of interesting power relationships too. The centrality of water as a religious icon reminded me a lot of Dune. "Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence." - Joe's using authoritarian Buddhist elements to shape his desperate proletariat's ideology, twisted aphorisms to justify his total monopoly on lifegiving Aqua-cola.

Power structures and ideology as a tool of control, not to mention stockholm syndrome and PTSD and addiction issues and religious fanaticism and pokes at neo-liberalism and the glorious ascendance of the matriarchy amidst fossil fuel based based civilization insanely extrapolated beyond the limits of sanity at the edge of extinction. gently caress me, what doesn't this movie have.

Oh wait, zombies, it doesn't have any loving zombies. Thank the gods.

Was the spray paint on the mouth thing some kind of upper or addictive religious sacrament? Their tendency to use it in combat made me wonder if it was another part of Joe's power mechanisms. I was also unsure about the breast milk, was it also being used as a carrot or was he just trying to rehabilitate his grotesque spawn?

I can't believe I'm voluntarily going to see a movie in a theater more than once in 2015. Probably in 2D this time, 3D continues to seem to be mostly a gimmick although that zooming slow mo guitar/steering wheel might be my favorite use of the effect ever.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 26, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think I'd quite like them to mix it up a bit? Like, I know the open ruined desert is kind of mad maxes bag but we've also spent a fair amount of time in it. I'd like them to explore a little more of the kind of weird cultures that might spring up post apocalypse. Kind of like fallout took the mad max template and spun it in some interesting ways.

Maybe even have a ruined city - I don't think you can do a chase scene that is largely going in a straight line again. I think I want to see Max in his interceptor (I don't care that it exploded, max drives the interceptor) doing some cool driving and I think you can do that without it turning into fast/furious.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, it's hard to know what I want from a sequel right now. Anything that pops into my head is either a retread of Fury Road or sacrifices how pure and streamlined Fury Road was.

Good thing George Miller is not me but rather a film-making genius.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

splifyphus posted:

I was initially pretty freaked out by Joe's irradiated legions, and just dumbfounded when I realized they were giving one of theses mutated freaks a sympathetic loss of faith-redemption arc, one that emotionally resonated despite the completely alien culture and ceaseless destruction. The emphasis on being 'witnessed', combined with the mythology about the old world ("Everyone had their own show") seemed to me to be evoking the degenerate remains of modern spectator culture itself. "Witness me" functions in multiple ways - character motivation, ideology and world building, and as a fourth-wall breaking command to the viewer. And yes, yes I will gladly witness you, you wonderful movie you.
Actually, considering the "timeline" I myself only learned about in the last pages of this thread, wouldn't the old ladies have lived in the days where the "mythology" you talk about was quite real? I mean, I get that they will pass this on like mythology and it will become the stuff of legends, but they should be true witnesses and remember the old days. Hell, if Mad Max 1 is indeed set before the nukes fall (but after the event horizon for society), Max himself could have watched TV shows as a kid and have a favorite. Probably Knight Rider :v:.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

splifyphus posted:

Was the spray paint on the mouth thing some kind of upper or addictive religious sacrament? Their tendency to use it in combat made me wonder if it was another part of Joe's power mechanisms.

I like to think that it was literally chrome Rustoleum.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The spraypaint makes you shiny and chrome for Valhalla, and gives you a temporary chemical high.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jynetik posted:

As for laughably positive reviews, I do adore people referring to the mad max aesthetic as "steampunk", or the rare gem where people forget this is a fourth installment and try to link the movie to successful video game's like fallout or borderlands as a source for its style.

Pop culture only has a memory of about 5 years, give or take. Unless something is just a constant presence people eventually forget about it and end up thinking the things that it inspired are what inspired it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Pop culture only has a memory of about 5 years, give or take. Unless something is just a constant presence people eventually forget about it and end up thinking the things that it inspired are what inspired it.

I had a really dumb moment a few years ago where I found myself thinking, for a good minute, that Avatar looked a lot like Halo. Not one of my prouder moments.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
They both have a gas giant looming in the sky, at least.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Was Avatar not a huge ripoff of the Halo aesthetic?

e: obviously Halo stole the space marine thing from Cameron's Aliens. I meant the general purple/blue iridescent aesthetic of the planet.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 26, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

e: obviously Halo stole the space marine thing from Cameron's Aliens. I meant the general purple/blue iridescent aesthetic of the planet.

I'm not following this, the first halo was in like what, 2002-2003? Avatar was a number of years later. I do not think cameron was looking to Halo for inspiration but i guess its possible

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I know I'm not crazy because I've seen it said many times. There's something in that neon purple / baby blue sci-fi jungle aesthetic where lots of people were like "oh, it's Halo."

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

You're wrong. Avatar was a huge ripoff of 1995 RPG Albion from Bluebyte.

Stay with me here: Giant multinational megacorporation goes to alien planet to mine mineral wealth, alien planet turns out to have weird felinoid aliens, super lush jungles, and bizarre pseudo-mindsharing magics enabled by some kind of planetary overmind. Protagonist ends up siding with natives to sabotage and drive off megacorporation.

:pseudo:

Seriously though, when I was watching Avatar I kept thinking "Wow this is loving Albion: The Movie" when every one else was like "Oh, Dances with Wolves in Space." You could also say that about the game but man the setting similarities were uncanny :v: Except Albion's alien culture was way better realized and well written.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 26, 2015

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing this again in 3D. I can't wait to see my brother's reaction to this film, though the way my friends have gone scares me. Oh well, it's been a good run.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

I know I'm not crazy because I've seen it said many times. There's something in that neon purple / baby blue sci-fi jungle aesthetic where lots of people were like "oh, it's Halo."

That visual aesthetic is straight out of Roger Dean which pushes its origin back to the 70s.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Psykmoe posted:

You're wrong. Avatar was a huge ripoff of 1995 RPG Albion from Bluebyte.

Stay with me here: Giant multinational megacorporation goes to alien planet to mine mineral wealth, alien planet turns out to have weird felinoid aliens, super lush jungles, and bizarre pseudo-mindsharing magics enabled by some kind of planetary overmind. Protagonist ends up siding with natives to sabotage and drive off megacorporation.

:pseudo:

Seriously though, when I was watching Avatar I kept thinking "Wow this is loving Albion: The Movie" when every one else was like "Oh, Dances with Wolves in Space." You could also say that about the game but man the setting similarities were uncanny :v: Except Albion's alien culture was way better realized and well written.

I had that EXACT thought when I first saw a trailer for Avatar all those years ago. It's crazy how similar it is. Albion was really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

EmptyVessel posted:

That visual aesthetic is straight out of Roger Dean which pushes its origin back to the 70s.

Yeah, it's the cover of an old Yes album. :350:

• Locked thread