Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Is there footage online yet of Max's "ah, she gets it" reaction to the one Vuvalini lady when she realizes what his final plan is? It would make a pretty awesome avatar methinks.

edit: page 2 Furiosa snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

dik-dik posted:

Cool. Gonna grab it then. Might as well have all my hobbies meld in to one, shiny and chrome. If they come out with some Mad Max themed climbing gear I'm super hosed.

Nice av! :haw:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

splifyphus posted:

Was the spray paint on the mouth thing some kind of upper or addictive religious sacrament? Their tendency to use it in combat made me wonder if it was another part of Joe's power mechanisms. I was also unsure about the breast milk, was it also being used as a carrot or was he just trying to rehabilitate his grotesque spawn?
I know it was 8000 posts ago I posted this, but I'm pretty sure the spray paint on the teeth represents having a shiny chrome grille (in the most literal sense of the word) in death, much like their beloved cars.

I think the milk was just part of a trade/tithe to Gastown in exchange for goods and services. You have to assume that if there are people, there are children, and they will need something to help them grow into adulthood. Of course, the post-apocalyptic answer is likely that it is a precious luxury for the warlords to be able to drink something other than water.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I watched it for a third time last night before it exits my theatre, and this time the sound was a little better. I heard lines I didn't before, and was amazed at how everything fit together so nicely. Nearly everything important is explained, without an info dump, and without an audience surrogate character. I love this movie. For me, Mad Max: The Wasteland cannot come soon enough. I hope Max is paired with another new actor or actress that throws down as hard as Theron did.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, it's the cover of an old Yes album. :350:

Likewise, Fury Road is the cover of a Meat Loaf album. :rock:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

ShineDog posted:

They're untrained in film, if a character doesn't up and say I FEEL BAD BECAUSE I DID THIS THING AND NOW I HAVE LEARNED then it barely gets noticed and thematic issues like the films regularly reinforced themes of trust and how it can empowers or be exploited don't exist.

Very true.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Milky Moor posted:

I had that EXACT thought when I first saw a trailer for Avatar all those years ago. It's crazy how similar it is. Albion was really neat.

It was a pretty common thing you'd see in sci-fi from the 60s/70s. A lot of Frank Herbert's work is similar also like The Heaven Makers. In that one the aliens the corporate "convince aliens that we're awesome so we can get a good exploitative business deal out of them" protagonist deals with are even tall blue skinned folks that commune via head/hair genitals.

EmptyVessel posted:

That visual aesthetic is straight out of Roger Dean which pushes its origin back to the 70s.

This x 3425896245. Bungie has always been heavily inspired by this. Even man of the armors and backgrounds we see in Destiny are stolen from 70s art Ralph McQuarrie did for Star Wars.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone have an avatar-sized Coma-Doof gif? I want to get it with
"Don't be a Bard," they said
"Bards are lame," they said

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I took a quick look at the IMDB message board for Fury Road, out of idle curiosity more than anything else.

:facepalm:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

GazChap posted:

I took a quick look at the IMDB message board for Fury Road, out of idle curiosity more than anything else.

:facepalm:

Why does the guy from the Borderlands cover help them escape at the end instead of killing them for Immortan Joe?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

Why does the guy from the Borderlands cover help them escape at the end instead of killing them for Immortan Joe?

Why do Pretty Ladys run from Joe? Joe am clearly love them.

And why Max give Fury Osha gun if he no like her?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Why DID they want to run away from Joe? He seems like a nice guy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm not following this, the first halo was in like what, 2002-2003? Avatar was a number of years later. I do not think cameron was looking to Halo for inspiration but i guess its possible
The aesthetic of most of the human marine stuff, especially the flying vehicles, is very similar to Halo's, but only because both Halo and Avatar are ripping off the aesthetic of the marines from Aliens. But that's because Aliens was basically genre-defining in terms of what a future military would look like.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

Avatar are ripping off the aesthetic of the marines from Aliens.
Can James Cameron even rip himself off?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Saw this over the weekend and I honestly can't stop thinking about it. What an amazing film. Also I put on the soundtrack in the car in the way to work this morning and had to stop myself from going 90 while sticking my head out the window and screaming. Probably going to see it in 3D sometime later this week.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Everblight posted:

Can James Cameron even rip himself off?
In a sense, I suppose? It's derivative, anyways.

Actually looking back I think it might be more accurate to say that Aliens more or less started the look, and then Halo influenced it enough to affect Avatar.
Looking at the airships from each is sort of watching a progression of a form:

Aliens,

Halo,

I think Halo mostly brought in chopper-esque things and then in Avatar everything just gets bigger.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

IronicDongz posted:

In a sense, I suppose? It's derivative, anyways.

Actually looking back I think it might be more accurate to say that Aliens more or less started the look, and then Halo influenced it enough to affect Avatar.
Looking at the airships from each is sort of watching a progression of a form:

Aliens,

Halo,

I think Halo mostly brought in chopper-esque things and then in Avatar everything just gets bigger.

I imagine it would be rather hard for the 20-something animators and designers working on avatar to completely turn off the portion of their brains that played Halo

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

There is a moment near the climax of the film where Rictus is slamming Max around and the impacts synch up with beats on the soundtrack that is one of the most amazing integrations of a movie score that I can remember.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I imagine it would be rather hard for the 20-something animators and designers working on avatar to completely turn off the portion of their brains that played Halo
Yeah. But of course, you can also say "there's only so many ways to make a sorta-futuristic airship" and they're loosely based on real aircraft anyways, so.

Looking at Avatar images has mostly just made me want to watch Mad Max a second time. I really hope it brings about a revival in practical effects.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Efexeye posted:

There is a moment near the climax of the film where Rictus is slamming Max around and the impacts synch up with beats on the soundtrack that is one of the most amazing integrations of a movie score that I can remember.

The soundtrack is amazing by itself. You can actually hear the Doof Warrior fade in and out on some tracks as you did in the actual movie. Brothers in Arms gives me goosebumps to listen to.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I could have sworn I heard a rumor that Stan Winston's old crew is doing a sci-fi or horror movie that's 100% practical effects.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I don't really understand the complaints about the soundtrack swelling in emotional moments, either, since that's what movies...do? Furiosa's anguish at realizing the Green Place is gone was pretty well handled, I thought.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Something neat about the "errors" in Max's visions is that they're all from his perspective. Ie: He didn't witness his wife getting run down, or even look at her body, so he imagined it as a big truck. His last experience in Road Warrior was crashing the rig - so he probably figures he got all those people killed, too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Something neat about the "errors" in Max's visions is that they're all from his perspective. Ie: He didn't witness his wife getting run down, or even look at her body, so he imagined it as a big truck. His last experience in Road Warrior was crashing the rig - so he probably figures he got all those people killed, too.

It's possible he forgot the gender of his kid. It's been a long time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:agreed:

Although was Mrs. Max holding the baby in his vision?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Efexeye posted:

I don't really understand the complaints about the soundtrack swelling in emotional moments, either, since that's what movies...do? Furiosa's anguish at realizing the Green Place is gone was pretty well handled, I thought.

It was very well handled. One of the things I liked best was that Furiosa, as the principal character and driver of the plot, was the main focus of that segment. The movie didn't have anyone patting her shoulder or saying "There there", no attempt by any other character to steal the spotlight and make the tragedy about them -Max bringing up how he'd lost his family, or the Many Mothers voicing some toothless platitude about how home is where your loved ones are... No, everything was laser focused on Furiosa, allowing her to mourn her lost dream in peace. It was a highly respectful moment... and a depressingly rare one, now that TV is bigger and there's all this pressure to clutter things up with tons of words.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I forget who it was in this thread, but thank you to whoever pointed out that the warboys salute is them making the shape of a V8 engine with their hands. It's my favorite easily overlooked detail.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

It's possible he forgot the gender of his kid. It's been a long time.

Sometimes the girl calls him "Max" instead of "papa" which suggests that perhaps he wasn't her father and his memories are muddled up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Sometimes the girl calls him "Max" instead of "papa" which suggests that perhaps he wasn't her father and his memories are muddled up.

yeah I don't really have a problem with it. Besides, if he is haunted by actual memories, he could just be remembering a little girl calling for her papa, not necessarily to Max.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

TerminalBlue posted:

Totally all that, yes. Though with the whole name part, he says it to (essentially unconscious)Furiosa as a gesture of trust, but then sorta realizes he's actually admitting to himself that he has a name other than Mr. Survivorman: The Man With a Single Instinct. He just had to say it to somebody else to get to that point. It was brief, but great.

Also, the entire narrative starts out with him introducing himself as Max to the audience (whoever they may be). So a full circle?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

dik-dik posted:

God, this movie has ruined me for unnecessary dialogue. This web series pilot is :mediocre: as gently caress

E: then again, this is exactly the kind of poo poo I expect from a schlanger who didn't like MMFR, so...

E2: also, dreffen, I just noticed your av says "MEDCIORE" :/

:mediocre:

I looked at it several times over the few minutes it took to get the text the way I liked and I'm seriously not sure how I didn't notice that.

WITNESS ME spell poorly :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So Nux sees that Slit is pouring nitro into his car's intake. Furiosa points out that they're going to try to get in front in order to spike the War Rig's wheels. Nux decides he's going to put nitro into the war rig to speed it up as well. Furiosa says "Don't blow my engines."

Nux and Slit compete to see who can boost their cars more. Nux accidentally swallows some and can't hack it, so Max takes over. Seeing Nux fail, Slit beats his chest like King Kong. Despite Max's best effort, the Interceptor pulls ahead and spikes the wheels. One of the Vuvalini snipes the driver of the Interceptor. Then one of the engines overheats.

Nitro-boosting the cars was a testosterone-fueled dick measuring contest, and (like Rictus and Bullet Farmer shooting randomly at the air) was all for naught. They got their wheels spiked anyways, the engine overheated despite Furiosa warning Nux not to do it, and the only reason why they won the exchange is because one of the women thought outside of the rules of "playing the game" and shot the Interceptor's driver.

A pretty neat parable about useless displays of male power told entirely through action.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 26, 2015

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

dreffen posted:

WITNESS ME spell poorly :smith:
Given the context, I'm in the "misspelling is funny and appropriate" camp.

Dasilodavi
Jan 25, 2015

Snak posted:

I forget who it was in this thread, but thank you to whoever pointed out that the warboys salute is them making the shape of a V8 engine with their hands. It's my favorite easily overlooked detail.

And thank YOU for re-mentioning it as I indeed overlooked it.

Now, what is the significance of the many mothers' gesture? Where they sort of gently reach out and it looks like they're grasping something then pulling towards their heart. Is it as simple as I think it is, a symbolic expression of peacefully reaching out to take what's dearest to us?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Ersatz posted:

Given the context, I'm in the "misspelling is funny and appropriate" camp.

It's all I can see now and it bothers me a bunch. I cannot believe that I didn't notice.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't forget in Max's flashbacks there's a black guy with dreadlocks we've never seen before.

And it's Furiosa telling us the story, so of all the campfire tall tales of the road warrior maybe sometimes he has a daughter and Goose was a black guy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not sure if it matters, but I'm pretty sure the black guy was aboriginal rather than African. So it's entirely possible this the flashes are meant to reference unseen adventures Max had before Fury Road but not featured in previous movies. As one or more aboriginal communities surviving the apocalypse wouldn't seem unlikely.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dasilodavi posted:

And thank YOU for re-mentioning it as I indeed overlooked it.

Now, what is the significance of the many mothers' gesture? Where they sort of gently reach out and it looks like they're grasping something then pulling towards their heart. Is it as simple as I think it is, a symbolic expression of peacefully reaching out to take what's dearest to us?

Yeah, it's a juxtapositional thing. The War Boys yell and scream and worship a literal object as their symbol of devotion, whereas the many mothers' gesture is about showing respect for a human life. "You are gone, but we keep you close to our heart", kind of thing. They're also about killing with one bullet, while the War Boys are about throwing explosives and fire and bullets at a thing until it dies.

EDIT: Which all comes to a head when Nux makes his sacrifice and whispers "Witness" to an actual person and not just like a triumphant yell, and Capable responds with the mothers' gesture to him. Nux is able to fulfill his destiny in a way he never imagined possible, and Capable has the exact way to say what she needs to say to him even though they're too far away for words.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 26, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, wasn't sure since he may have been an extra they cast in Africa while filming and have no idea how to be a polite liberal with such a distinction.

But I still like to think he's Furiosa's story version of Goose. Or maybe Papagallo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I keep forgetting they filmed it in Africa, as opposed to Austrailia.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 26, 2015

• Locked thread