Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blind Sally posted:

Thunderdome is easily one of the most quoteable movies I've ever seen, even "two man enter" and "break a deal" quotes aside.

"Bust a deal...spin the wheel" is something I say all the time and like, even people that don't even know what it's from think is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I often hear the “Me Master”, “Me Max” exchange in my head for no reason.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I used to think the Blaster Master NES game for rent at the pharmacy was related to Mad Max as a kid, since I had seen some movie with a "Master Blaster" that creeped me out on TV.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This Blaster. With him 20 men enter, only him leave

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Might have to watch all these again this weekend.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I often find myself quoting Pigkiller's "plan!? There ain't no plan!" Or Pigkiller paraphrasing Buckaroo Banzai's "where ever you go, there you are".

Back to the idea of redemption, Road Warrior was about Max finding his humanity again as well. I read it as a really unhealthy attempt, though, because he goes from being a scavenger (as Papagallo puts it) to willing to sacrifice his own life for he sake of others. A noble cause, but certainly not healthy. I don't believe Max fully expected to survive the oil rig chase. The darker tone of the movie reflects this.

In Thunderdome, Max is still learning to find his humanity, but now in a much healthier way, hence he more lighthearted tone. When he finds the Lost Kids, he's more than happy to settle down and live it out in the oasis, and encourages all the kids to do the same, giving up their dreams of skyplanes, Captain Walker, Mrs Walker and TomorrowMorrow Land. He doesn't want to be "somebody", like Master Blaster or a Toecutter,he wants to be a comparative "nobody" and live in peace, quiet,and hopefully, safety and happiness. After all Max was somebody before: a policeman, MFP, the bronze--all it brought him was hardship and hurt, because it painted a huge target on his back.

Tying in with this vein of idenity are the two female leads: Aunty Entity, who used to be a nobody and is now very much obsessed with being a somebody ("one day cock of the walk, the next, a feather-duster"); and Savannah Nix, a nobody from the middle of nowhere, emamoured with finding TomorrowMorrow Land and becoming something more. Even note their names: Entity=somebody, Nix=nobody.

In the end,when faced with destruction, Entity clings onto being a somebody and plans to rebuild Bartertown, while Nix is relieved to settle in the ruins of the old world with her friends and family, a relative no one.

Max again sacrifices himself so that these people can escape to live their lives. ("You!" "Me?" "You've got a plane." "I have?" "Yeah. And you're gonna help us get out of here." "I am?"). However,this Max is a very different one from that seen in the last film. He is perhaps a bit softer, kinder, and maybe even more hopeful for the future.

Aunty Entity even lets him go when he is at her mercy. Why? Does she admire his sacrifice? Is it true that justice, order, and mercy can return to the wasteland? Perhaps Aunty just recognized that Max is just like her: a somebody. Despite his best efforts, she sees that inside of him and she even goes so far as to identify him, speaking aloud what perhaps Max is afraid to hear. "Aren't we a pair," she says, "goodbye, soldier." And really, that's what Max is, fighting to protect those who can't fight for themselves.
And of course, just as the Feral Kid immortalize Max as a "somebody" at the end of Road Warrior, so does Savannah Nix as the end of Thunderdome when she tells the tell to all the young ones. Thus, Max becomes a figure of myths and legends.

Sally fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 28, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

Max again sacrifices himself so that these people can escape to live their lives. ("You!" "Me?" "You've got a plane." "I have?" "Yeah. And you're gonna help us get out of here." "I am?"). However,this Max is a very different one from that seen in the last film. He is perhaps a bit softer, kinder, and maybe even more hopeful for the future.

I like the bit when they're going after Savannah and they see the little kid following them, and Max is all like "He has to hold his own" and in the very next shot he's giving the kid a piggyback.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, almost forgot about that. Ol'Max, what a softie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Or how he comically blows the feather headdress off that guy in Bartertown instead of blowing his head off.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Just watched all three in a row. Thunderdome sucks, it’s a load of really good ideas slapped messily together and sanitised to make it PG.

Mel Gibson’s mullet wig is loving horrendous too.

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 30, 2014

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I love Thunderdome up until the kids show up, just like other posters. Someone needs to post a short edit of basically Max falling off his horse and then the last scene of him walking through the desert. The end. :v:

Also, Mel's wig is shall we shay... humongeous. :haw:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've always felt like most good memories of Mad Max come directly from Mad Max 2. The first one is interesting but amateurish and dated, 2 is a classic film, and 3 sucks.

See also: The re-make basically being a continuation of Mad Max 2.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Max had the mullet for way too long. They should've chopped that poo poo off the second he got inside Bartertown.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

3 is all the the proof you need that there is no one left who truly knows how to do Mad Max except Miller himself.

The first one is great because of its characters. Max, Fifi and Goose are all really likeable and when poo poo goes down you genuinely feel bad - Goose being burned alive is horrible and Max losing everything is tragic because he’s so ably presented as a decent guy. When he snaps at the end you feel like something has really been lost.

It also has the best villains. The Gayboy berserkers in 2 are great but Toecutter is infinitely watchable. My only gripe is I wish he’d had a bigger death than just being run down by a truck.

“‘Anything...I say...’ What a wonderful philosophy you have."

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 30, 2014

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've always felt like most good memories of Mad Max come directly from Mad Max 2. The first one is interesting but amateurish and dated, 2 is a classic film, and 3 sucks.

See also: The re-make basically being a continuation of Mad Max 2.

What remake, this is technically the same Max from the first three

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Miller’s philosophy as to whether Fury Road is a remake/reboot/sequel/prequel appears to be “who cares?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crackerman posted:

It also has the best villains. The Gayboy berserkers in 2 are great but Toecutter is infinitely watchable. My only gripe is I wish he’d had a bigger death than just being run down by a truck.
Tina Turner steals every scene she's in.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

All three have good villains, Aunty is great too. Toecutter remains my favourite though, especially the way his band of weirdos fawn over him.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Crackerman posted:

Miller’s philosophy as to whether Fury Road is a remake/reboot/sequel/prequel appears to be “who cares?"

The proper approach to filmmaking.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
We can only hope for another Highlander 2. Best batshit insane movie so far.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Batham posted:

We can only hope for another Highlander 2. Best batshit insane movie so far.

Have you not seen Super Mario Bros?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
In watching Mad Max again, it really reminds me a lot of Assault on Precinct 13. They both have that gritty low-budget amateurism, both were born out of an era of rising crime rates, both had the main characters being menaced by a violent gang, and both came early in the career of their talented director.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Has anyone got the tracks used in the comic con footage? I like that music :shobon:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I find it interesting in general how Mad Max and First Blood both have a billion imitators that completely miss the point of the originals. I love how much the music, the rising storm, etc. in Mad Max sell Max going back out for revenge as a bad a thing. I forgot how effectively the movie emphasizes this throughout. I also love the "what the christ are these guys even on" dynamic of Nightrider, Toecutter, etc. I really think if Jessie still had Cundalini's hand handy and gave it back to them Toecutter really would have gave her Sprog back and just rolled back out of town. Not to say Toecutter isn't insane trash, just that he's that crazy. I forgot how preposterous and amazing the entire beach sequence is ending with Johnny the Boy's baptism.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I've only ever seen mad max 2 and 3. Is it worth watching number one before the new movie? I think I have seen pretty much every other ozsploitation movie aside from it. I loved turkey shoot and road games, if that helps!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zombie Squared posted:

I've only ever seen mad max 2 and 3. Is it worth watching number one before the new movie? I think I have seen pretty much every other ozsploitation movie aside from it. I loved turkey shoot and road games, if that helps!

Yeah it's a must watch.

Is there a movie earlier than Mad Max where the hero purposefully walks away from something they know is going to blow up as it explodes in the background with them walking towards the camera but they're completely calm?

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Hah. I guess my only concern is that it'll be hard to hold up to Mad Max 2.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there a movie earlier than Mad Max where the hero purposefully walks away from something they know is going to blow up as it explodes in the background with them walking towards the camera but they're completely calm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pex-mg0MHc

And maybe a few others.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Zombie Squared posted:

Hah. I guess my only concern is that it'll be hard to hold up to Mad Max 2.

It’s very different because of a much smaller budget and doesn’t have the full on post-apocalypse thing going on - instead stuff is gradually going to poo poo but there’s still a kind of normality.

It’s a good movie, just don’t expect The Road Warrior part 1. It’s quite slow and character driven, but a lot of the characters are really likeable, especially Max himself, Goose and Fifi. Toecutter is absolutely my favourite villain of the series too, you can watch it for Toecutter if nothing else.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Night Rider himself makes quite an impression also honestly. I never get tired of the delivery of "I'm a turbo charged suicide machine!"

Remember him

when you look towards

the night

sky.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4xDfUoy0iY

He’s in Fury Road, right? Just as a different character, gyro captain style.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Hah. You're assuming the gyro captain was the same character between mad max 2 and 3. Let me direct you to my fifteen page dissertation on the topic...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zombie Squared posted:

Hah. You're assuming the gyro captain was the same character between mad max 2 and 3. Let me direct you to my fifteen page dissertation on the topic...

I love that people are still confused by this, but I believe he was stating just the opposite.

I like the concept honestly despite the huge gap between the movies. Maybe eventually they'll bring it full circle and have Mel Gibson in one as Nightrider.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Honestly. I think that George Miller's refusal to give this new movie a place within the timeline is the best choice he could make. I like the idea of the Mad Max story being a vaguely related story, distorted from the telling.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Zombie Squared posted:

Yeah I meant the opposite, it’s two different but strikingly similar characters. I like it, but I like it when a sequel fucks with the audience’s expectations of continuity. I hope Fury Road confuses the poo poo out of people.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I like the idea of Max being a mythical figure in the oral history of the post-apocalyptic world. I always thought that Matthew McConaughey's character in Reign of Fire would have had a similar fate.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I could have sworn I saw some interview with Miller somewhere where he said he wanted him to be like the Man with No Name in Leone’s westerns. You can make up continuity if you want or you can just discount it all and have him be a myth.

It’ll be interesting to see whether Fury Road is framed by someone else telling his story like The Road Warrior and Thunderdome.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

The Night Rider himself makes quite an impression also honestly. I never get tired of the delivery of "I'm a turbo charged suicide machine!"

it's "fuel-injected suicide machine"

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

"We know who you are, Bronze"!

This guy always makes me think of Adam Ant.

"See you on the road, Skag"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

it's "fuel-injected suicide machine"

This. Also, part of his speech are lyrics from an AC/DC song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMcbkR_Yp9Y

"I am a rocker. I am a roller. I am an out-of-controller!"

• Locked thread