Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I think I've found my new favourite Mad Max character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think the Rockvan is the same vehicle with the four kettle-drums installed in the back. At some point in the trailer the guitar player smashes a dude's face in with his guitar, which appears to also be on fire. And is Max tied up on some kind of gigantic metronome?

This is going to be good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It is:

I missed the flaming guitar face smash. I'm so pumped.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

Hold on a sec, did I just see what I think I saw?

:megadeath:

Having watched the trailer a few times I can confidently say this is my favourite film. I don’t even need to see it now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Looking at it again, it looks like Max is smashing the flaming guitar into someone else WHILE it's strapped to the guitar player:

(Sorry I'm bad at gif)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TOM HARDY

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I'm eagerly awaiting the Broadway version of this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

moths posted:

Looking at it again, it looks like Max is smashing the flamingflame-throwing guitar into someone else WHILE it's strapped to the guitar player:

Fixed that for you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I mean, you think "OK well it looks THIS awesome" but a little weird and you don't pause to consider that it's actually better.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Martello posted:

This movie looks loving awesome. I forgot it was coming out and now I'm really excited.

One thing I've thought about with the guns in the setting - post-apoc fiction tends to go one of two ways with guns. Either there are a poo poo ton of them out there, mostly in perfect working order, and a seemingly endless supply of bullets. Or, like The Road Warrior, ammo is very rare and prized and only used as a last resort. Personally I think a middle ground would be more realistic. Any firearm, properly cared for, can last almost forever and in working order. Especially weapons like the AK family, pump shotguns, and anything bolt-action. And as for bullets, if the wastelanders were savvy enough to save casings, it wouldn't be that hard to continue reloading them and at least keep a decent stock of ammo around. It would still be valuable and fairly hard to get, but something any decently stable settlement should be able to manufacture without any kind of power at all. With just a fire source, scrap metal, and some decent molds or a pedal lathe, you could even turn/mold new cartidges out of whatever. Brass is the best but it's not the only option. And the bullets themselves wouldn't even have to be lead necessarily, though of course anything else is probably going to mess with the barrel pretty fierce.

This goes into the progression of the films. In Mad Max the society is falling apart, the means of production are ending. Think about it, Max is offered the "Last of the V-8 Interceptors" and is amazed that the mechanic was able to get all the parts together so easily. The police station is gutted and falling apart, and the mechanic who later gives up Max's location is working on old junk and spare parts.

By the time the Road Warrior rolls around, the machines have sputtered and stopped. Nothing new is being produced. Max, like the Humungous and his gang, are scavengers, just digging through what ever is left over. Bullets are scarce because no one is building them. Same for everything else, it's just going through the last of what's available, and once that's gone, that's it. That's what the people in the refinery represent though, a way to rebuild, new production, a place beyond vermin on machines. They are humanities hope to make a new world, as Papagallo plans.

By the time of Thunderdome, you have society starting to regenerate. With Bartertown, Auntie is creating a place of trade and production. There is incentive to make things for trade, and laws to govern the trade. If you can make anything or have a unique skill, you can barter it for other goods or services. Obviously they now have a means of collecting raw materials, and Master probably has the knowledge to make gunpowder. So it makes sense that they would have more guns and ammo than the gangs that are just roving from place to place and using up whatever they find without replacing it.

It's a nice progression in the films, actually.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Do they ever say if it's a worldwide problem or is all of the nonsense somewhat limited to fake Australia?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Do they ever say if it's a worldwide problem or is all of the nonsense somewhat limited to fake Australia?

I'm assuming it's world wide, since the narration in The Road Warrior talks about two warrior tribes going to war, and I can only assume that was the East vs West of the Cold war. It is amusing to think that the rest of the world is just chugging along like normal and all the madness is just limited to Australia.

Like, CNN sending a reporter to show the lawlessness of the Outback, or Vice interviewing the Humungous.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
That would actually be an interesting hook for a post-apoc movie. The nukes dropped, but civilization mostly bounced back entirely, except for a few pockets of no-man's-land that resemble Road Warrior craziness.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That would actually be an interesting hook for a post-apoc movie. The nukes dropped, but civilization mostly bounced back entirely, except for a few pockets of no-man's-land that resemble Road Warrior craziness.

And then the navy shows up on the island because they saw the fire and ask what the hell is going on, and everyone is embarrassed that they let themselves turn so savage away from the rest of civilzation oh wait that's Lord of the Flies

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Martello posted:

This movie looks loving awesome. I forgot it was coming out and now I'm really excited.

One thing I've thought about with the guns in the setting - post-apoc fiction tends to go one of two ways with guns. Either there are a poo poo ton of them out there, mostly in perfect working order, and a seemingly endless supply of bullets. Or, like The Road Warrior, ammo is very rare and prized and only used as a last resort. Personally I think a middle ground would be more realistic. Any firearm, properly cared for, can last almost forever and in working order. Especially weapons like the AK family, pump shotguns, and anything bolt-action. And as for bullets, if the wastelanders were savvy enough to save casings, it wouldn't be that hard to continue reloading them and at least keep a decent stock of ammo around. It would still be valuable and fairly hard to get, but something any decently stable settlement should be able to manufacture without any kind of power at all. With just a fire source, scrap metal, and some decent molds or a pedal lathe, you could even turn/mold new cartidges out of whatever. Brass is the best but it's not the only option. And the bullets themselves wouldn't even have to be lead necessarily, though of course anything else is probably going to mess with the barrel pretty fierce.

The real problem is sourcing primers, as making them is rather complicated and dangerous, and requires a good understanding of chemistry.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah the whole thing where they're a bunch of half-feral homosexuals seems really forced and inappopriate these days.

The thing is, though, when Mad Max and Road Warrior came out, that stuff was the domain of exploitation films. It's hard to grasp it today, but that type of stuff was probably pretty shocking at the time.

I have no idea what direction Miller is gonna take in regards to rape and S&M culture, if he does at all. I don't think it's relevant in any case, because when things like Oz have existed in the years since 1979, violent homosexual rape doesn't portray the levels of depravity that it did in the original Mad Max.

In any case, the nudity and rape definitely contributed more to the R rating than the violence did. In Mad Max, there really isn't much graphic violence. The one scene that probably did was the end where Max gives Johnny the Boy the choice with the hacksaw, 'cause that was disturbing as gently caress. Possibly Goose burned up in the hospital, too.

When it comes to Mad Max, I trust George Miller to make a great movie, and I don't think he wrote this script with a potential rating in mind. It'll get what it gets, I guess.

Blind Sally posted:

Hold on a sec, did I just see what I think I saw?

:megadeath:

loving owns.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

IIRC, The Postman was set in a world where the US collapsed, either through internal fighting or external influence. The rest of the world doesn't intervene (at least in a way that's shown) so you get a post-apocalyptic setting where other areas of the world haven't been affected in the same way.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 16, 2014

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Lord of the Flies: Aftermath

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

No Escape and Carpenter's Escape from NY/LA movies come to mind here... Of course not exactly that plot.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Capn Beeb posted:

The real problem is sourcing primers, as making them is rather complicated and dangerous, and requires a good understanding of chemistry.

poo poo yeah I knew I was forgetting something. Thankfully we have TFR posters to come in and drop knowledge. How hard is it to produce fulminate of mercury? And are there other options that might be easier but not as effective?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Now I have this great mental image of modern-cartridge matchlock weapons.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

moths posted:

Is there any chance at all of Bruce Spence flying around in this one?

This would basically make it the most perfect movie.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I think we all need to pause for a second and reflect on what a kooky looking dude George Miller is.

It's awesome because he looks like a jolly version of Toecutter.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

He was in "Babe: Pig in the City".

He was in both Babe movies. He's the voice of the male sheepdog.
I recently watched both films for the first time as an adult, because my roommate had never seen them. The first one is as good as I remembered it, and the second is infinitely more bizarre than I possibly could have comprehended as a child.

My favorite part is when Babe saves the life of the bull terrier (which they call a pit bull) and it immediately instates Babe as the dictator of a communist society of animals and makes the song from the first film into their national anthem.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Mister J posted:

Thank you! When I first saw that picture, I thought maybe Miller was the the dude on the right :haw:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I've been telling people this, but if it did come down to a nuclear war between U.S/Europe and Russia, everything in the Northern Hemisphere would be hosed for a few hundred years, thanks to how the jetstream works, which would isolate pretty much all the fallout to north of the equator, maybe even north of the Tropic of Cancer, and where 90-99% of the targets are going to be located. The Southern Hemisphere will come out largely unscathed: even if a number of targets were hit, the fallout would settle mostly in ocean where it would be diluted.

But, if you think about it, most of the places where talking about either have stability issues, like Africa, or largely isolated, like Australia, that they'd likely fall apart if such an event happened. South America would likely persevere, if Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, and a Chavez-Bolivarian alliance of Venezeula, Bolivia, and Ecuador don't start poo poo with one another.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Not only does Miller look like a jolly Toecutter, but he has the most hilarious shirts:

quote:

George Miller explained that the inspiration behind his black shirt embroidered with three chillies. "It's a chef shirt from South Africa," he said.
"I wear it because apart from the way it looks … It's the only shirt I wear — I have eight of them."
Miller said the benefits of the chilli shirt included that it only "has one button", it was warm in winter and cool in summer — "and by far the best advantage is that I never have to think about what I'm going to wear".

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I honestly kinda want one now. That shirt owns.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mister J posted:

I was thinking more Steve Brule, myself.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was thinking more Steve Brule, myself.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The setup is different (virus containment vs nuclear apocalypse), but Doomsday is pretty much this and then some

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Doomsday is a pretty fun mash-up of 28 Days Later, The Road Warrior, Escape From New York, and Excalibur.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Doomsday is so loving good and fun. In a nutshell, it is the infinite number of Italian knockoffs of Road Warrior and Mad Max but with a $22 million budget. If you like post apocalyptic stuff at all check it out.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Another person who has somehow made it to my 30s without ever seeing a Mad Max film, even though they seem right up my alley, checking in.

Watched the first one last night, it was all right. Mostly enjoyed all the vehicle stunts and stuff. Enjoyed it well enough but I'm looking forward to watching the second one tonight since it basically seems like it takes all the cool poo poo from the first one and blasts it into overdrive. I'm sure I'll love it.

Fury Road looks incredible.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Damo posted:

Another person who has somehow made it to my 30s without ever seeing a Mad Max film, even though they seem right up my alley, checking in.

Watched the first one last night, it was all right. Mostly enjoyed all the vehicle stunts and stuff. Enjoyed it well enough but I'm looking forward to watching the second one tonight since it basically seems like it takes all the cool poo poo from the first one and blasts it into overdrive. I'm sure I'll love it.

Fury Road looks incredible.

Minus the fact I'm only 25, you just made the post I came in here to make. To be honest, I was almost tempted to skip the first one, but it wasn't bad, and since it's streaming it was zero effort to give it a shot before The Road Warrior.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Young Freud posted:

I've been telling people this, but if it did come down to a nuclear war between U.S/Europe and Russia, everything in the Northern Hemisphere would be hosed for a few hundred years, thanks to how the jetstream works, which would isolate pretty much all the fallout to north of the equator, maybe even north of the Tropic of Cancer, and where 90-99% of the targets are going to be located. The Southern Hemisphere will come out largely unscathed: even if a number of targets were hit, the fallout would settle mostly in ocean where it would be diluted.

But, if you think about it, most of the places where talking about either have stability issues, like Africa, or largely isolated, like Australia, that they'd likely fall apart if such an event happened. South America would likely persevere, if Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, and a Chavez-Bolivarian alliance of Venezeula, Bolivia, and Ecuador don't start poo poo with one another.

There's a movie called 'On The Beach' which basically starts there.
Doesn't end well, though.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Neo Rasa posted:

The shot where one of the biker's gets his neck broken via a bike skidding into him may have done it.

Are you talking in movie or real life? That guy was fine. But there is a long standing buster myth that it killed the stuntman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Are you talking in movie or real life? That guy was fine. But there is a long standing buster myth that it killed the stuntman.

I am definitely talking about in the movie, Grant Page actually lives even to this day. :) Hilariously his only film making injury happened when he broke his leg while riding his motorcycle away from location after Mad Max's filming was completed.

I had no idea there was even a rumor that he died during that scene, only the longstanding rumor that nine people died in the making of Mad Max 2 (which was a bit more believable since there's a higher number of stunts on it that look quite brutal and some actual injuries happened). You should watch this awesome movie about him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6XgzhtCJI

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

There's a movie called 'On The Beach' which basically starts there.
Doesn't end well, though.

Besides the book/movie On the Beach, there's Alas Babylon and many, many other books like it. This type of story line in general was very very common in pulp fiction and sci-fi throughout the sixties and seventies for obvious reasons, with Mad Max and Mad Max 2 really bringing it to light in mainstream entertainment like nothing had before it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Martello posted:

poo poo yeah I knew I was forgetting something. Thankfully we have TFR posters to come in and drop knowledge. How hard is it to produce fulminate of mercury? And are there other options that might be easier but not as effective?

I really don't have a clue as to how the fulmination process works, but every so often I find posts of people suggesting using the white stuff on strike anywhere matches as a base. There's also the neat thing about the priming compound used in .22 cartridges being stable when it's wet, but being kinda not very stable when its dry. So there's that. In an environment with a water shortage. :v:

I wonder how feasible an electronic priming option would be with a smokeless powder weapon. Although that'd dry up fairly quickly as well, leaving folks to use black powder. Which is still useful and all and certainly offers enough power to be an effective weapon, but it's just so messy and fouls barrels hilariously fast.

Snak posted:

Now I have this great mental image of modern-cartridge matchlock weapons.

BUST A DEAL, FACE THE WHEELlock

:haw:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Mel Gibson may be a crazy racist but I'd still be totally jazzed if he had some tiny cameo, especially if they managed to keep it under wraps all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm actually a lot more OK with Gibson now than I expected to be. He's owned up to his bad behavior, and Robert Rodriguez has looked past that, so I probably can too.

But I'd still rather see Bruce Spence or Tina Turner.

• Locked thread